Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone willing to admit they're already starting to relax restrictions?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭99nsr125

Never obeyed them in the first place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

99nsr125 wrote: »
    Never obeyed them in the first place

Then you're a selfish moronic tool. But no doubt you're so deluded you actually think you're some kind of feisty rebel, rather than a spoilt childish brat who cares about no one else's welfare.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

Are you serious? There's a hundred and one things to do all day. I hate the word snowflake but it really applies to those complaining about a couple of weeks or even months at home.

Agreeing with this big time, I've been off work a month now and I've never been busier, I've got a bucket load of work done around the house and garden, the place has never looked better, getting out for a couple of miles walk morning and evening, getting through a load of books that I had on the shelf waiting to be read and do you know what the €350 a week that myself and OH are getting is more than enough for us as we've no distractions to be spending it on ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Metroid diorteM

Sorry but the majority of posters here are selfishly undermining the incredible efforts many of us are making at great cost.

Our family has endured extreme hardship and we have not relented one bit.

Thanks for pissing all over this painful task.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭RCK1

It's incredible arrogance to assume that others are snowflakes because they find their situation tough.

Unless you have mental health issues or in a domestic situation etc.. then you have no real problems in terms of staying put in the house. It's hard but it's very easy to solve the boredom/being fed up issue. Unlimited entertainment and information at your fingertips. The real "tough situation" as you say is for the frontline workers,people with COVID19 and victims families. But Ah sure look its grand let people break restrictions designed to deal with a global pandemic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭RCK1

Are you serious? There's a hundred and one things to do all day. I hate the word snowflake but it really applies to those complaining about a couple of weeks or even months at home.

Exactly

RCK1 wrote: »
    Unless you have mental health issues or in a domestic situation etc.. then you have no real problems in terms of staying put in the house. It's hard but it's very easy to solve the boredom/being fed up issue. Unlimited entertainment and information at your fingertips. The real "tough situation" as you say is for the frontline workers,people with COVID19 and victims families. But Ah sure look its grand let people break restrictions designed to deal with a global pandemic

Exactly, I know we're living in a rural area with no one living within a half mile of us at either side so we can come and go as we want, we actually did two miles of a walk morning and evening today didn't meet a sinner on either walk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Simple question, what difference does a person make staying in their own home when the virus is actually rampant in Nursing homes and long term care facilities.
    To back up my comment the RO in society is .7 which means an infected person won't infect another person.

Simple question, what difference does a person make staying in their own home when the virus is actually rampant in Nursing homes and long term care facilities.
    To back up my comment the RO in society is .7 which means an infected person won't infect another person.

If you need that to be explained to you you're as nieve as Trump :rolleyes: Just look at the bigger picture is all I'll say

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

If they had restrictions like Spain here then I'd understand frustration from people but as it stands now and has the last few weeks, it's a walk in the park....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

GoneHome wrote: »
    If you need that to be explained to you you're as nieve as Trump :rolleyes: Just look at the bigger picture is all I'll say

So you have no answer. Grand so.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,853 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Sticking to them but as regards shopping if I can't pick up the essentials in shop A I will go to shop B. Additionally if a shop has a Q like you would see at a low grade refugee camp outside I will drive to the next nearest place.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

My future daughter in laws transplant operation was cancelled due to the present crisis. So kindly forgive if me I 'm going to ignore you.

Of course you can ignore me, but do not claim falsely claim that the lockdown is causing operations to be cancelled. The lockdown does not restrict medical activity of any sort.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

wally79 wrote: »
    Strange to have to say this considering it has been repeated on media incessantly

It’s not about making the virus go away

A lot of people will get it

It’s about making sure that everyone doesn’t catch it at the same time and overwhelm the hospitals

So it is OK for a load of people to die so long as they are polite enough not to die at the same time?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭wally79

So it is OK for a load of people to die so long as they are polite enough not to die at the same time?

I don’t know how you got that from what I said.

it’s about minimising the number of people who die by ensuring that there is a viable health service available when they catch it

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭murphm45

To me the key word in this past is "real". You're right what the vast majority are, fortunately, dealing with is technically an inconvenience but that doesn't mean it's pleasant. My parents are stuck in the house (cocooning) which in the scheme of things isn't a big deal but the problem is they need to rely on other people to do things for them they're (or should be) able to do for themselves. I know it's a bit dramatic but they're far from being over the hill yet there independence has been taken from them and some of the simple pleasures they had (e.g going for a drive or a walk in the park) are now gone.

Personally I'm finding it tough too. I'm studying at the moment and finding it very tough as there's almost no separation from studying and free time at home (I had the same problem when I used to have to work from home too before I went back to college). Even when I go for a walk or run you always have to keep your guard up so there's no time when I'm not under some degree of pressure (albeit I accept a lot of it my be internally driven) and that constant stress is unpleasant and tiring. I also haven't seen my girlfriend or any of my other friends in nearly 2 months which just compounds things.

I get that people have it harder, but that was true of life before this bloody virus come along and I still had days where I found things hard (as I'm sure everyone else posting here whether they're finding the lockdown easy or not). I'm not for a second looking for sympathy off anyone but at the same time I'm not expecting to be attacked or vilified either. Please understand that because you find it easy doesn't mean everyone with no serious problems will (Another way of looking at this is to answer this - is there really nothing you've turned your hand to that you struggled with in life while people around you found really easy? If the answer is yes you must me in a very small minority, and if so how's that being perfect going? Do you give lessons ? ;) )

Also, for the record, it doesn't mean that people who find it tough are breaking the rules or looking to validate others breaking them. I haven't broken them as I suspect the vast majority of others haven't (which might explain why I'm finding them hard - if I just broke them I wouldn't care)

Sorry if this comes through as a person attach on you rck. I know your views aren't unique and it's great that you're finding it easy but this constant barrage of "ah just suck it up" is not all that easy to bear!

How did it spread so much around the country then?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

that is the government and hse position exactly.

paw patrol wrote: »
    that is the government and hse position exactly.

No it is not. The more spread out the cases the better hospitals can cope and the less liklihood that people will die. They were avoiding a situation like Italy's where doctors were having to decide which patient to save.

Stop spreading irresponsible crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

Starting to lose the plot a bit cooked up inside so I ended up going out to the green in my estate yesterday and took a big ****e in plain site for everyone to see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,581 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

That's not what an R0 less than 1 means.

An R0 of 0.7 means that 1000 people with the virus would pass it on to 700. And they would pass it on to 490 who would pass it on to 343 who would pass it on to 240 and so on.

It doesn't mean someone won't pass it on. It's the modelled rate of case growth

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

murphm45 wrote: »
    Personally I'm finding it tough too. I'm studying at the moment and finding it very tough as there's almost no separation from studying and free time at home (I had the same problem when I used to have to work from home too before I went back to college). Even when I go for a walk or run you always have to keep your guard up so there's no time when I'm not under some degree of pressure (albeit I accept a lot of it my be internally driven) and that constant stress is unpleasant and tiring.

I'm working from home - taken a 20% paycut but no cut in hours - trying to do a masters degree and there's a newborn in the house since February. The pressure is atrocious. Both for me trying to keep up with my work and college and still trying to do bits with baby, getting f**k all sleep, and the baby's mother who has no family or friends stepping in to offer any help as we're rigidly sticking to "the rules".

Life is very difficult. A few times one or both of us has exploded a little, it's constant stress and pressure, and poor baby has bad reflux issues too. My head is fit to burst. I'm struggling hard mentally, my relationship with my wife is being tested, but we're putting it down to tiredness and stress, we're doing our best.

Please stay home. Get this s××t done with ASAP so we can leave the house, have an outlet with baby and try enjoy life.

I am so jealous of those single childless people getting 350 a week to sit at home and complain about being bored.

I'm working from home - taken a 20% paycut but no cut in hours - trying to do a masters degree and there's a newborn in the house since February. The pressure is atrocious. Both for me trying to keep up with my work and college and still trying to do bits with baby, getting f**k all sleep, and the baby's mother who has no family or friends stepping in to offer any help as we're rigidly sticking to "the rules".

Life is very difficult. A few times one or both of us has exploded a little, it's constant stress and pressure, and poor baby has bad reflux issues too. My head is fit to burst. I'm struggling hard mentally, my relationship with my wife is being tested, but we're putting it down to tiredness and stress, we're doing our best.

Please stay home. Get this s××t done with ASAP so we can leave the house, have an outlet with baby and try enjoy life.

I am so jealous of those single childless people getting 350 a week to sit at home and complain about being bored.

In general I agree with you, burg your last comment is bit unfair. There are many people finding this very lonely which brings different but equal pressures to yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Jim Root

I ignored it last night and went for a short drive of 10km to say hello to my brother. Good to see family again, didn’t come across any stops.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,128 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I dont get to tell anyone that they are being silly or a snowflake or whatever . I am ok , doing ok and have space and a garden and plenty to do and read .I have no parent to worry about in a care home or sick baby to care for .I have no toddler finding it hard cooped up in a small apartment . I dont have to worry about loosing my job or my income or my hospital appointment cancelled

I have books , knitting , Netflix and plenty in the fridge but I am absolutely aware that other people are finding their situation tough and some are struggling . I dont get to come on here and tell them or anyone to cop on and shut up and get on with it .
    No one can know what triggers upset people or why they struggle one day and feel upset or need to cry . In fact it would be far better to reach out to people and try to reassure them rather than berate them for feeling low one day
    I have had my low days, I ache to see family and i ache to see live as it was with the pleasure of enjoying the Spring and Summer .No one here gets to tell me I have no right to feel low or upset and I don't get to tell anyone else either .This is a dreadful situation to be in , we can learn to live with it and get on but my god its a bloody pain in the ass

Weather so far this morning and forecast for the next week is looking bad.
    Thats going to make lockdown really unbearable for people. I don't fancy going for a walk in that weather.
    Now there is really nothing to do and all day to do it. This will get really miserable really fast if the bad weather sticks around.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

theres a marathon party going on a few doors down. in fairness they went inside during the hours of darkness and turned off the banging tunes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,779 ✭✭✭Benimar

Weather so far this morning and forecast for the next week is looking bad.
    Thats going to make lockdown really unbearable for people. I don't fancy going for a walk in that weather.
    Now there is really nothing to do and all day to do it. This will get really miserable really fast if the bad weather sticks around.

It might actually help though. It might keep the idiots who are ruining it for everyone at home, and increase the chances of some restrictions being lifted Tuesday week.

Yes, a pain in the hole this week, but might make future weeks easier.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,868 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Stating this as fact is completely misleading

Perhaps a comment that 100 people will typically infect another 70, who in turn could infect another 49 etc. You've still doubled the numbers infected while that first 100 may still be fighting it

Indeed if you work through the maths those 100 result in an further 233 infections

In fact it's only when RO is less than 0.5 that those 100 result in less than 100 further cases (ie less than 200 in total)

Anything less than 1 is progress but at the levels still being re-infected there remains a significant chance it will blow up again if restrictions are relaxed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,352 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Jim Root wrote: »
    I ignored it last night and went for a short drive of 10km to say hello to my brother. Good to see family again, didn’t come across any stops.

If everyone did this it would put us back to square 1

Not saying you went up to your brother and licked him, but it’s a numbers game, you visited your brother, his wife visited her family, there is a teenage girl sneaking off to be with her boyfriend who lives at home with his mother who works in a nursing home....

Everyone thinks ‘sure I’m fine’

Advertisement