Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green Party wish list.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭OwenM

7%pa reduction in greenhouses would cause as much economic damage as covid, either they produce a plan to do that without putting us back economically into the 80's or drop it - that's if they actually want to go into government, which I doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

As much as i would like to see a government formed. Eamon Ryan has just proposed the biggest list of box ticking ****e i have ever seen put onto paper.

Its a list that pulls together all the leftist ideas good and bad.

0.7% of income to foreign aid ? We are going to be borrowing big time the next 2 years minimum. Why would we just send it abroad to allow some third world country buy fighter jets .

7% carbon reduction each year. Impossible unless we started years ago working on it.

A new social Contract ? Could you be any more vague.

This lad is as mad as a box of frogs but manages to put a smile on for the cameras. I am surprised he didnt list his plan to reintroduce wolves as a deal breaker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

As much as i would like to see a government formed. Eamon Ryan has just proposed the biggest list of box ticking ****e i have ever seen put onto paper.

Its a list that pulls together all the leftist ideas good and bad.

0.7% of income to foreign aid ? We are going to be borrowing big time the next 2 years minimum. Why would we just send it abroad to allow some third world country buy fighter jets .

7% carbon reduction each year. Impossible unless we started years ago working on it.

A new social Contract ? Could you be any more vague.

This lad is as mad as a box of frogs but manages to put a smile on for the cameras. I am surprised he didnt list his plan to reintroduce wolves as a deal breaker.

As they say the best time to do something was in the past, the second best time to do something is right now.

Anyone who thinks they're going to get off climate change scott free is fooling themselves. Anyway 7% isn't as onerous as it sounds. Basically move from fossil fuel to renewables, mandatory carbon capture levels to be achieved try to rebalance agriculture towards crops and of course improve the housing stock both existing and yet to be built.

https://www.ervia.ie/who-we-are/carbon-capture-storage/
    https://www.gsi.ie/en-ie/programmes-and-projects/geoenergy/activities/Pages/Carbon-Capture-and-Storage.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Then there's the more achieveable stuff...

2. Massive development in renewable energy infrastructure including off-shore wind, solar power and an upgrade of national grid.

3. An end to exploration licences for offshore gas exploration.

4. Stopping the fossil fuel infrastructure, particularly the LNG import terminal currently being planned for the River Shannon.

5. Exclusive provision of public housing, social housing and cost rental housing on public lands.

6. Prioritise urban renewal in line with a ‘Town Centre First’ model.

7. A deep retrofit programme

11. Development of a national land use plan.

12. At least 20 per cent of transport spending on cycling and walking, and two-thirds of remaining budget on public transport.

13. Trial universal basic income (UBI) within the lifetime of the government.

14. Revision of National Development Plan to meet new climate targets and social policy goals.

15.Review of the Government and Oireachtas response to the Covid-19 crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

50% more lettuce planted on south facing windowsills

Makes sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

FFG should just agree to it all and then proceed to do none of it. When the Greens start to kick off, guilt them into not collapsing the government at an unprecedented time of health and economic hardship.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,267 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

KevRossi wrote: »
    Then there's the more achieveable stuff...

2. Massive development in renewable energy infrastructure including off-shore wind, solar power and an upgrade of national grid.

3. An end to exploration licences for offshore gas exploration.

4. Stopping the fossil fuel infrastructure, particularly the LNG import terminal currently being planned for the River Shannon.

5. Exclusive provision of public housing, social housing and cost rental housing on public lands.

6. Prioritise urban renewal in line with a ‘Town Centre First’ model.

7. A deep retrofit programme

11. Development of a national land use plan.

12. At least 20 per cent of transport spending on cycling and walking, and two-thirds of remaining budget on public transport.

13. Trial universal basic income (UBI) within the lifetime of the government.

14. Revision of National Development Plan to meet new climate targets and social policy goals.

15.Review of the Government and Oireachtas response to the Covid-19 crisis.

UBI is difficult - just see how the €350 a week is crippling the government finances.

The others are ambitious but the type of things we need to consider.

7% is difficult from a standing start, but achievable in the context of some of the other proposals.

A proper UBI would be almost impossible to implement in this country because it involves simplifying the whole social welfare system and cutting costs in administration by essentially getting rid of staff who are no longer needed in various government departments. I can’t see the unions being very happy with thousands of public servants being made redundant permanently.

I agree though that we should increase our expenditure on cycling infrastructure and encouraging greener forms of transport. We should use this crisis to our advantage by building cycling infrastructure while many people are working from home. I’m not sure how the current crisis has affected the cost of building materials. But I imagine products that rely on oil such as tar and bitumen are cheaper now so we shouldn’t waste this current crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Banning off shore energy exploration is madness for future investment in Ireland.

The rest of the stuff is just throwing a green sticker over ‘tax the middle and upper classes even more to death’

Their plans are anti business, anti professional and on the cusp of a recession are a disgusting slap in the face to the people who paid our way out of the last one and will pay this one. I hope FF and FG see through this and don’t create an ireland where the professionals that remain are forced to emigrate to not have every cent stolen off them.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,581 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

This chap is for the birds. I've never seen someone as out of touch with reality, and I've had to visit a friend in a psych ward!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,736 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

If FF/FG agree to that list of nonsense and then try to implement even some of it in the current/uncoming recession in order to keep the old game between them going, SF will romp it next time out.

How on earth Ryan and his merry bunch gets as much time as they do is beyond me.

I don’t understand what are people’s objections to things such as renewable energy and improving cycling infrastructure? Surely in a way, these things would be pro-business in that renewable energy isn’t subject to price increases. If one country goes to war with another and having good cycling infrastructure potentially makes people fitter, which can in turn increase worker productivity.

Then again, I suppose some of the rabid right-wingers on here would oppose anything progressive just for the sake of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

I don’t understand what are people’s objections to things such as renewable energy and improving cycling infrastructure? Surely in a way, these things would be pro-business in that renewable energy isn’t subject to price increases. If one country goes to war with another and having good cycling infrastructure potentially makes people fitter, which can in turn increase worker productivity.

Then again, I suppose some of the rabid right-wingers on here would oppose anything progressive just for the sake of it.

The renewables arent the problematic part for most people . Its just the likes of UBI, Foreign Aid & Social Contract have no business on a list. Unless they are there knowing that nobody will agree to them

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

If someone comes out and tells me Eamon has a few hundred cats at home then I can understand how bat sh1t crazy he really is...

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DelaneyIn

The country is entering a deep recession with huge unemployment and the greens are concerning themselves with "Overseas development aid". The mind boggles.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,675 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

The country is screwed. The left will regret voting for Greens.

Parish pump Independents would be better...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

A bit like the Covid 19 warning from China, nobody took it serious. Same thing now with climate change. Lauhged and scoffed at.

Nothing funny though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Fair play to Eamon, he knows he won't get many wishes fulfilled but may as well throw them all out there. Slowing down the economy, better distribution of wealth worldwide, and less mindless consumerism may fill some of you with dread, but if we want to save this Earth we have to change our ways.

The problem is we have no more space, the coties are already on a road diet and seriously lacking parking spaces, the greens back a ‘cycling infrastructure’ agenda that does modest amounts to improve cycling access while majorly slowing motorists and busses down. Causing more conjestion and further punishing rural dwellers. Since you cant bring a bike on the bus its really only a plan to further enhance the cycling fetish inner city middle class residents delight in. Theyd be better off spending the money on improving public transport from the places people are forced to buy houses in , kildare wicklow meath and louth, pile all the money into that, not wider / more bike lanes for people who already have a handy tome getting to work.

Also the greens are anti nuclear, the cleanest and best form of on demand electricity, their renewable policy is half baked

• Registered Users Posts: 15,354 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Saw Eamon on the news. He looks well up for govt. possibly even a chance he’ll get a go at rotating Taoiseach if it lasts long enough.

• Advertisement

The problem is we have no more space, the coties are already on a road diet and seriously lacking parking spaces, the greens back a ‘cycling infrastructure’ agenda that does modest amounts to improve cycling access while majorly slowing motorists and busses down. Causing more conjestion and further punishing rural dwellers. Since you cant bring a bike on the bus its really only a plan to further enhance the cycling fetish inner city middle class residents delight in. Theyd be better off spending the money on improving public transport from the places people are forced to buy houses in , kildare wicklow meath and louth, pile all the money into that, not wider / more bike lanes for people who already have a handy tome getting to work.

Also the greens are anti nuclear, the cleanest and best form of on demand electricity, their renewable policy is half baked

Well why should the city be designed for people who don't live there? There's way too much street parking atm in Dublin. Capel st, South William st, there's no reason cars should be parked there, especially when there's only a narrow pavement.
    I would imagine the greens would be enthusiastic about improving public transport everywhere in Ireland.
    Also if you think it's only middle class people cycling to work you're hugely mistaken.

Well why should the city be designed for people who don't live there? There's way too much street parking atm in Dublin. Capel st, South William st, there's no reason cars should be parked there, especially when there's only a narrow pavement.
    I would imagine the greens would be enthusiastic about improving public transport everywhere in Ireland.
    Also if you think it's only middle class people cycling to work you're hugely mistaken.

Its only people who can afford to live in dublin are cycling to work, with the exception of the excessive amount of social housing in dublin (of whos inhabitants 62% don’t work at all) its the middle classes who are lovong and working there

I notice theres a huge overlap of people who dont believe they ahould be paying for roads and broadband to rural Ireland but expect the rest of us to pay for their cycling hobby

Its only people who can afford to live in dublin are cycling to work, with the exception of the excessive amount of social housing in dublin (of whos inhabitants 62% don’t work at all) its the middle classes who are lovong and working there

I notice theres a huge overlap of people who dont believe they ahould be paying for roads and broadband to rural Ireland but expect the rest of us to pay for their cycling hobby

Well given most money is generated in Dublin, I'm sure we'd be paying for it ourselves. A few bike lanes would cost a pittance compared to what we spend on motorways and roadworks. I live in a working class neighbourhood and have always cycled to work, as does my neighbour who is a bar man, hardly a doctor ffs. I think you have your own prejudices against cycling that aren't exactly true.
    I bet my house cost less than yours too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Blaze420

Fair play to Eamon, he knows he won't get many wishes fulfilled but may as well throw them all out there. Slowing down the economy, better distribution of wealth worldwide, and less mindless consumerism may fill some of you with dread, but if we want to save this Earth we have to change our ways.

Will I remind you what percentage of the electorate in the GE said climate change was a priority for them? 6%.

I’m a fairly hardline green so I am hoping Eamon and co can get plenty green concessions out of FFG. We need to reduce our Carbon emissions dramatically.

I’m a fairly hardline green so I am hoping Eamon and co can get plenty green concessions out of FFG. We need to reduce our Carbon emissions dramatically.

And how can we achieve this without a single tax increase or a measure that cripples rural ireland ?

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭no.8

Jamie2k9 wrote:
    The country is screwed. The left will regret voting for Greens.

I strongly disagree that associating yourself with environmental concerns, public transport improvements and reduced national emissions indicates that you must be left wing.

Ask nationalistic Swiss (of which there are many), whether they'd do away with their infrastructure as a martyr to the right.

Your statement is an absolute load of s***e

Look back in our history books.... look around you and overseas
    . What mode of transport is unbeatable as a mobile, sustainable, short distance, mode of transport.

Then look in the f*****g mirror, wash your face with cool crisp water, and wake the f**k up Eric

And how can we achieve this without a single tax increase or a measure that cripples rural ireland ?

Im wholeheartedly for green taxes

An area I would propose to start with is aviation. We need a tax on the carriers, dublin airport itself, and also a green levy on each individual ticket. I am firmly of the view that there is way too much needless travel especially for business when you consider we have email phone and vid conferences.

• Advertisement

Blaze420 wrote:
    Will I remind you what percentage of the electorate in the GE said climate change was a priority for them? 6%.

Priority, as in the absolute no.1 topic? Well of course thats the case. Human rights aren't my no.1 priority.... so does that mean i don't care whatsoever? Nice tactic

Advertisement