Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green Party wish list.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Just copying from adjacent thread:

"Just to remind people suppliers down the south of Ireland will have to pay the increase in carbon tax from next friday 1st may.

A Bag of 40kg coal is increasing 80c a bag
    Briquettes are going up 30c a bale
    small 11kg of gas around €1 increase
    large cylinders approx €4.50 increase
    heating oil will also increase around €20 for 1000litres.

This won't effect buying from the north just local suppliers"

Will push the cost of our annual fuel bill up by maybe €100. Then we don't have access to the fuel/ heating resources whereby people can avoid these. This is what will hurt the Greens and they aren't even in yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

17 points made and not 1 mention of support for the agricultural sector.

The Green Party is kryptonite for rural Ireland, they're too busy farting about the city to actually go out to country and get a feel for the place.

Now look I'm all for long term sustainability, we're moving that way anyway and that's fair enough. But the Greens seem more interested in how to penalise people rather than coming up with practical, cost effective solutions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

If eamon Ryan became Taoiseach we would all be going to work in a horse and cart

• Registered Users Posts: 13,929 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

The Green Party is kryptonite for rural Ireland, they're too busy farting about the city to actually go out to country and get a feel for the place.

Now look I'm all for long term sustainability, we're moving that way anyway and that's fair enough. But the Greens seem more interested in how to penalise people rather than coming up with practical, cost effective solutions.

Well the current status quo with farming is determent to our environment. Setting illegal fires all over the country to destroy habitat, which cost a fortune to put out, destroying any trees and wild growth on farmland to get more money, nearly all of our waterways polluted from agriculture. Maybe we produce too much beef and dairy, there is a biodiversity crisis in Ireland right now and the Greens would want some of our lands given back to nature instead of being a monoculture of cattle farming.
    So something needs to be worked out that keeps everyone happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Which, incidentally increases greenhouse gases and contributes to global warming. :pac:
    Maybe that's why April has been such a nice month in Ireland this year?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Blaze420

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    If eamon Ryan became Taoiseach we would all be going to work in a horse and cart

Sure the horse would produce methane gases, so you'll be the one pulling your own cart to work. Or maybe you could tame some wolves to do it for you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,185 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

BarryD2 wrote: »
    J
    Will push the cost of our annual fuel bill up by maybe €100. Then we don't have access to the fuel/ heating resources whereby people can avoid these. This is what will hurt the Greens and they aren't even in yet.

Better house insulation?

That's what I plan to do, as part of a response to carbon taxes.

And that is the aim of those taxes - to get some people to change their behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,508 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Well the current status quo with farming is determent to our environment. Setting illegal fires all over the country to destroy habitat, which cost a fortune to put out, destroying any trees and wild growth on farmland to get more money, nearly all of our waterways polluted from agriculture. Maybe we produce too much beef and dairy, there is a biodiversity crisis in Ireland right now and the Greens would want some of our lands given back to nature instead of being a monoculture of cattle farming.

While agriculture is part of the problem I cant see how it can be blamed for polluting the waterways. There is far more pollution being washed into rivers in our towns and villages from water run off the streets and all those roofs.look at all the oil, brake dust, plastic, chemicals that are on the streets every day.
    That's not to mention all the domestic and commercial waste water heading that way too a lot of it not treated. A lot of towns used to divert the sewer lines directly into the rivers every time work was being carried out in the sewerage plant s .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

Cycle lanes cost f*ck all in the grand scheme of things, and I can only think of one or two proper cycle lanes in Dublin, most are just a line of paint. And all walks of life cycle to work in Dublin, as much as you think it's a middle class niche. Lots of people, many of them immigrants, are cycling to work in low paid jobs, public transport isn't cheap in Dublin and cycling is virtually free.
    I never drive and still pay for roads through general taxation, I'm not complaining. The more cycle infrastructure we have in Dublin the more will use it, and it'll lead to a cleaner city and healthier population. You can't expect all the tax you pay to only fund things that suit yourself.

Only if the road was built already for a cycle lane. Most roads are not and its extremely complicated to install them.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,347 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Geuze wrote: »
    Better house insulation?

And that is the aim of those taxes - to get some people to change their behaviour.

One of the problems with investment in insulation and other retrofitting projects is that the return isn't great. There are two ways of fixing this, one is providing grants, and the second is increasing home heating costs.

A combination of both is needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

A shower of city-dwelling crackpots dreaming up rubbish ideas for the sake of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭SomeGuyCalledMi

Blaze420 wrote: »
    You can indulge in whatever ifs or buts you want, 6% is still 6%. Nobody cares outside of a small circle of eco lunatics in this country.

Which oil company do you work for?

It's been shown all over the world that spending money on renewable energy creates jobs. Why are you against that? I think there is something sinister about posts like yours.

Why not keep the billions sent every year to the Saudis in this country?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,524 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

A shower of city-dwelling crackpots dreaming up rubbish ideas for the sake of it.
    They have TD's from Carlow/Kilkenny and Wicklow as well.

Action is needed, it has to start soon.

Which oil company do you work for?

It's been shown all over the world that spending money on renewable energy creates jobs. Why are you against that? I think there is something sinister about posts like yours.

Why not keep the billions sent every year to the Saudis in this country?

What are you on about oil company??? :confused: I couldn't care less about this bollixology and simply referencing that 94% of the electorate don't either.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭SomeGuyCalledMi

Good point. And it's a real issue because people are moving away from meat and Irish farmers need help to transition to something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,524 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Blaze420 wrote: »
    You can indulge in whatever ifs or buts you want, 6% is still 6%. Nobody cares outside of a small circle of eco lunatics in this country.

Covid-19 has shown us two things. Listen to the scientists, and act as early as possible.

Guess what the scientists are saying on the climate?

We need strong leadership to recognize this. If we wait until everyone is directly affected by it, it will be way too late.

Good point. And it's a real issue because people are moving away from meat and Irish farmers need help to transition to something else.

And I have no issue with changing markets and/or trends that's always been the way. But again I don't like the Green's penal approach and their 17 demands are very telling because they don't even mention the agricultural sector!

Just reforms that will effect farmers and no cost effective solutions/alternatives offered.

Ps, it's also worth noting that while trends may be changing many people still love their lamb and beef, that hasn't just stopped. I say that as someone who save for the very occasional steak is not particularly fond of beef and almost never eats lamb.

Geuze wrote: »
    Better house insulation?

Already been down that road in terms of the low hanging fruit. You reach a stage where it starts to get really expensive and disruptive, many times more than €100 annually for a good many years.

So it won't change what we do, we'll still use pretty much the exact same amount of fuel depending on the year that's in it. Likewise for motor fuels, in the absence of public transport and the inexorable shrinkage of public services towards the larger towns and cities.

Sure we could abandon this house and foist a brand new all bells & whistles eco friendly dwelling on the landscape. But which is really more environmentally friendly. Reduce & Reuse first.

It'll just cost us more to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,689 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Sure Eamon Ryan won't be Taoiseach as the greens would be a junior party if they go into government. I'm for protecting our country and planet because all being well I intend to be living on it for a good few decades yet, I just don't like the approach the Green Party here take(maybe green parties elsewhere message it better) I know that the introducing wolves back to this country was probably a part of a broader plan but it was a silly part of whatever plan we will have in place going forward, but it did land as a bit of dreamer idea, and the greens needs to shake that dreamer tag that they kind of have.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,306 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

1) mandatory salad growing in every window sill in the land.

Eamon Ryan is a clown he should step aside and let someone else lead the greens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

We need a coaliton of the Greens, Sinn Fein, People Before Profit and any others who have never been in government.
    First we should send the begging letter to the lenders of last resort asking them to remember us.

We need a coaliton of the Greens, Sinn Fein, People Before Profit and any others who have never been in government.
    First we should send the begging letter to the lenders of last resort asking them to remember us.

No thanks.

Mind you, the motor industry just love the Greens! Great for churning the market, incentivising citizens to scrap their otherwise reasonable vehicles and paying through the nose for new models! What's not to like :)

Petrol to diesel. Diesel to hybrid. Hybrid to EV. EV to bikes!

Jaysus an unholy alliance that hates rural Ireland and people who own things, no thanks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

Jaysus an unholy alliance that hates rural Ireland and people who own things, no thanks!!
    But just think of the tab we could run up. :)

But just think of the tab we could run up. :)

Haha it would be spectacular alright, might even set a new speed record for going broke!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

people en masse are not moving away from meat and will not. The Irish beef and lamb industry will be just as important to our nation when I'm on my pension as it is now.

going vegetarian / vegan / meat free is a fad for the boom time, it'll recede as the economy goes into recession or as teens and people in their 20's grow up.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,168 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Yes one of the reasons it's hard to provide public transport to rural Ireland is because of the amount of one offs and people not living in towns and villages. It's a planning clusterf*ck to begin with.

Look at the huge advantage all these one off housing have given us in fighting covid19.

If we were all squashed into cities/towns and high rise living, ala some places, our death toll would be a lot worse and isolation would be much much harder. ;)

Ehh couldn't have a horse, farts too much for him.
    As someone else said you would have to capture and train some of those wolves.
    On the plus side we could enter a few teams in the Iditarod race in Alaska. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,168 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Ahh FFS you would swear that country is on fire.
    A fair few fires are started by dipshytes that have nothing to do with farming and don't live in the areas.

Actually for a number of years it it the opposite and farmers get money for ensuring hedgerows and the like are protected and planted.
    But you just carry on with your tirade.

Ah yes lets stop what we are reasonably good at, lets grow quinoa, fruit and veg. :rolleyes:
    They have TD's from Carlow/Kilkenny and Wicklow as well.

Action is needed, it has to start soon.

Wicklow is not a proper rural county.
    Half the fecking place thinks it is Dublin.
    Enniskerry is full of eejits like Craig Doyle that thinks it is Foxrock in the country.
    Bray is full of dubs.
    Greystones is more akin to Dalkey than any country town.

Carlow/Kilkeeny has two major towns dominating both counties with large Dublin commuter population, both of which have access to reasonable rail network.
    Those counties are in no way representative of rural Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,929 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I knew it was only a matter of time before jmayo came in and shouted at us all

Advertisement