Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,008 ✭✭✭emaherx

My little fella is 8 and we made a robot kit over xmas but would like more as he seemed to like it

What was the kit he got?

Don't go too advanced too quick unless you understand the stuff fairly well yourself or he will get frustrated and loose interest.

I gave the 2 boys (they are 10) the makey makey joypads yesterday and they love them. These are straight forward and they followed a YouTube tutorial so didn't require any help from me.

https://makeymakey.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 21,202 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Knight just inquiring, is your hay barn as nice as Claire Byrne's shed?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Water John wrote: »
    Knight just inquiring, is your hay barn as nice as Claire Byrne's shed?

A nicer job altogether. No larch here.

Could you send me a link to where to but the electronics kit?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hot-Wires-Electronics-John-Adams/dp/B0006SK3WG/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=john+adams+electronics+kit&qid=1587476478&sr=8-1

That’s the kit I got. Nice starter kit- all about the components.

If you wanted to go the route of microbits or raspberry pi. sligograph provide a good variety of kit that schools order off of. But I dunno how cost effective this is in comparison to ordering off eBay or a non education online site.

https://www.sgeducation.ie/

I’m going ordering the microbit project kit to start. More for me than small lady try.

This company below supplies kits for making. I order them through Miko metals in cork. Sometimes they have a pdf of the plans with the projects or the photos are good enough for inspiration. Once all the seeds are planted, we will go making an insect hotel or two.

https://opitecshop.co.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭roosterman71

How many of the high tech in Google are Irish? Non ex pats.

Don't play the poor immigrant card with me. You know well I never mentioned refugees.

That's that internet Facebook slang people post to make themselves look better.
    But since you have mentioned refugees. They do need to be housed too. And that does not make me rasict in case that's your next retort.
    And increased demand increases rent prices.

Back up the truck my friend. I never mentioned refugees once so lets' call a halt to that line of chat here as there's no need to answer questions on things I never mentioned.

I've no idea what the Google employee stats are. Or that of any company bar the one I'm in. You also mention Facebook. Facebook and Google are 2 of the biggest tech companies in the world, and they pay their staff very VERY well. Other places, like where I am and it's no small business, don't.

Since this pandemic, rental properties have become available in Dublin in their thousands since the arse fell out of the AirBnB business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

im working on it lol. Rollout is starting in the next few months

:):):) no excuses for me in a while so

• Registered Users Posts: 11,226 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

I says wrote: »
    :):):) no excuses for me in a while so

Sure there's always tin foil. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Have two bags from last year or so - 1 is of of Lime and 1 of fertiliser. Both pelleted and they look identical.

Problem the labels are missing and I now cant remember which is which!

Thought I'd be smart and test the contents of each for pH - but both are coming up as neutral!

Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭jimini0

gozunda wrote: »
    Have two bags from last year or so - 1 is of of Lime and 1 of fertiliser. Both pelleted and they look identical.

Thought I'd be smart and test the contents of each for pH - but both are coming up as neutral!

Any ideas?

Granlime is bigger that normal fertiliser. It's a light egg shell colour. Well that's gouldings might be different on others

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

jimini0 wrote: »
    Granlime is bigger that normal fertiliser. It's a light egg shell colour.

Thanks for that. Problem is the pellets in both are a bit broken down from being moved and rebagged (original bags busted). Looking for a way to conform my suspicions which is which ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Thanks for that. Problem is the pellets in both are a bit broken down from being moved and rebagged (original bags busted). Looking for a way to conform my suspicions which is which ...

Grab a handful of each, the fert will feel salty and the gran lime will feel dry.

That's what I'd try

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭raypallas

My little fella is 8 and we made a robot kit over xmas but would like more as he seemed to like it

Microbit has free online software and the starter kit would be about 15 or 20 quid to get started off with.

raypallas wrote: »
    Microbit has free online software and the starter kit would be about 15 or 20 quid to get started off with.

And in My subject engineering, they are one of the platforms that can be used for remote control of projects. And computer science studies them also so it creates a basis for those subjects.

And in My subject engineering, they are one of the platforms that can be used for remote control of projects. And computer science studies them also so it creates a basis for those subjects.

Think I'm going to get some of these for my kids too. The raspberry Pi is great for lots of things but it's overkill for small projects and requires maintaing a full OS as well.

The Microsoft MakeCode looks good for programing it too and is similar to Scratch that they are already working with.

I still like the Raspberrry Pi for larger projects and have one running the heating System in the house and lighting automations and electric fence control around the farm.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

emaherx wrote: »
    Think I'm going to get some of these for my kids too. The raspberry Pi is great for lots of things but it's overkill for small projects and requires maintaing a full OS as well.

The Microsoft MakeCode looks good for programing it too and is similar to Scratch that they are already working with.

I still like the Raspberrry Pi for larger projects and have one running the heating System in the house and lighting automations and electric fence control around the farm.

Thats very interesting. Any chance of you doing a thread on autonomous items around the farm?. A bit like the gunthering thread without the sledge hammers

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Thats very interesting. Any chance of you doing a thread on autonomous items around the farm?. A bit like the gunthering thread without the sledge hammers

Oh an automatic sledge!! Theres an idea!

I might do alright.
    I plan on tidying up a lot of my cabling in the sheds shortly so I can take some pictures etc then.

Here is a screen shot of my Phone App (Built using Home Assistant) to keep you going for now ;)

49805035073_cecb7061a8_z.jpgScreenshot_20200422-142938 by Emaherx, on Flickr

Ardruino is supposed to be a good kit too- it has more tilt switches and thermostats etc but easy enough to use- I’ve never used them though

Ardruino is supposed to be a good kit too- it has more tilt switches and thermostats etc but easy enough to use- I’ve never used them though

Maybe we do need to start a new thread but yes, I use Arduino pro minis and esp8266's for my sensors and switches in my heating system.

Sprayed some seaweed and molasses today in honour of Earth Day 50.
    Because I definitely knew it was Earth Day 50 before I put the seaweed flakes in.
    And not because I couldn't use the fertilizer spreader with a broken hydraulic ram.

That is all..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭have2flushtwice

What's the going rate for diesel at the moment, compared to say before Christmas?
    Neighbor got KERO for 37 cent p.l. yesterday. I paid 51 about 3 weeks ago, corrib oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Sprayed some seaweed and molasses today in honour of Earth Day 50.
    Because I definitely knew it was Earth Day 50 before I put the seaweed flakes in.
    And not because I couldn't use the fertilizer spreader with a broken hydraulic ram.

That is all..

Seaweed flakes?
    Not a homemade concoction then?

When kinda mix rates did you use, as a matter of interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,244 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Neighbour texted me the other day he was clearing out his shed and found some barbed wire etc. I was passing yesterday and I collected them. 3 full rolls of barbed wire and a drawer full of staples. Thousands of staples in it. I couldn't lift it. He wouldn't take anything for any of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Any ideas?

Sure the lime can't do any harm. Cant you put them both out at a bag to the acre on the same field and sure, you can't go wrong?

whelan2 wrote: »
    Neighbour texted me the other day he was clearing out his shed and found some barbed wire etc. I was passing yesterday and I collected them. 3 full rolls of barbed wire and a drawer full of staples. Thousands of staples in it. I couldn't lift it. He wouldn't take anything for any of it.

He'll have his satisfaction in watching you suffer using it, that stuff should be banned!

Seaweed flakes?
    Not a homemade concoction then?

When kinda mix rates did you use, as a matter of interest?

What's on the bag. 150 grams/ha.
    Then just a few litres of molasses in a 600litre tank.
    If I was really cool I would have added some urea too.

Are you doing any funky stuff yourself now?
    Any shumei talking to plants?

I might do alright.
    I plan on tidying up a lot of my cabling in the sheds shortly so I can take some pictures etc then.

Here is a screen shot of my Phone App (Built using Home Assistant) to keep you going for now ;)

49805035073_cecb7061a8_z.jpgScreenshot_20200422-142938 by Emaherx, on Flickr

You must have wires running everywhere...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,202 ✭✭✭✭Water John

whelan2 wrote: »

He wasn't giving you a hint, with the wire?

Throw out a fist from each bag on a grass verge. You'll know the fert in a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

What's the going rate for diesel at the moment, compared to say before Christmas?
    Neighbor got KERO for 37 cent p.l. yesterday. I paid 51 about 3 weeks ago, corrib oil.

Fuelwise is about €1 per litre

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

What's on the bag. 150 grams/ha.
    Then just a few litres of molasses in a 600litre tank.
    If I was really cool I would have added some urea too.

Are you doing any funky stuff yourself now?
    Any shumei talking to plants?

Just the usual colourful language when I get caught on a briar or a thorn from furze... :p

Did you put out a seaweed 'tea' before? I have some seaweed in a barrell with a few months now, and was thinking of putting some out...
    Any idea of what mix rate I should go at?

I was going to put it out straight, whats the thinking behind adding the molasses to the mix?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement