Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Masks

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Yes: other
    Seanergy wrote: »
    There is a stronger aversion to masks in America than I would have expected, and they got pelted by the virus.
    I did some more digging on possible differences between how Asian and Western folks read faces differently and how this might be in play with mask wearing. Just based on my weirdo hunch about how our smileys can differ. EG happy western smiley :-) versus Happy Asian smiley (^_^) And lo and behold there's some interesting research on this.

Culture is a huge factor in determining whether we look someone in the eye or the kisser to interpret facial expressions, according to a new study.

For instance, in Japan, people tend to look to the eyes for emotional cues, whereas Americans tend to look to the mouth, says researcher Masaki Yuki, a behavioral scientist at Hokkaido University in Japan.

So when Yuki entered graduate school and began communicating with American scholars over e-mail, he was often confused by their use of emoticons such as smiley faces :) and sad faces, or :(.

“It took some time before I finally understood that they were faces,” he wrote in an e-mail. In Japan, emoticons tend to emphasize the eyes, such as the happy face (^_^) and the sad face ( ;_; ). “After seeing the difference between American and Japanese emoticons, it dawned on me that the faces looked exactly like typical American and Japanese smiles,” he said.

Maybe this is partly why many in the west and not just here in Ireland have such an aversion to masks? We would feel adrift in reading other people's faces, but Asian cultures wouldn't? We'd also have the association of being masked with criminals too.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Wibbs wrote: »
    I did some more digging on possible differences between how Asian and Western folks read faces differently and how this might be in play with mask wearing. Just based on my weirdo hunch about how our smileys can differ. EG happy western smiley :-) versus Happy Asian smiley (^_^) And lo and behold there's some interesting research on this.

Culture is a huge factor in determining whether we look someone in the eye or the kisser to interpret facial expressions, according to a new study.

For instance, in Japan, people tend to look to the eyes for emotional cues, whereas Americans tend to look to the mouth, says researcher Masaki Yuki, a behavioral scientist at Hokkaido University in Japan.

So when Yuki entered graduate school and began communicating with American scholars over e-mail, he was often confused by their use of emoticons such as smiley faces :) and sad faces, or :(.

“It took some time before I finally understood that they were faces,” he wrote in an e-mail. In Japan, emoticons tend to emphasize the eyes, such as the happy face (^_^) and the sad face ( ;_; ). “After seeing the difference between American and Japanese emoticons, it dawned on me that the faces looked exactly like typical American and Japanese smiles,” he said.

Maybe this is partly why many in the west and not just here in Ireland have such an aversion to masks? We would feel adrift in reading other people's faces, but Asian cultures wouldn't? We'd also have the association of being masked with criminals too.
    In Austria now we have the weird situation where we have to wear masks on public transport.. but covering your face in public is also illegal (since 2/3 years).

The last few years we've been told in Europe that covering your face is wrong, it's not our culture, it's criminal, for terrorists etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Seanergy

Yes: valved

Maybe this is partly why many in the west and not just here in Ireland have such an aversion to masks? We would feel adrift in reading other people's faces, but Asian cultures wouldn't?

We'd also have the association of being masked with criminals too.

This is hiting the nail on the head for me on so many levels.

I actualy have felt like a criminal from time to time whilst doning my mask. That's one of the reason's my new masks are all made with childish cartoon fabrics.

By not being able to share a warm smile Ive had to compensate, almost exagerate body langauge. I made sure to keep the irish eyes a smiling but not eveybody looks at that trigger. I made sure to look completely harmless when I went into the bank today to lodge a cheque, eyes a smilin.

When I went into me local with a teatowel with celetape(fast improv as I had no mask with me) around me smoocher the shopkeeper actually grabbed a bat! I had to start laughing loudly and interact with him in a reassuring way. He sussed fairly quickly it was me, but I kid you not he was raedying himself. It all ended well, he had an excellent conversation about masks, we talked about the wild west, the IRA, the fact that more often than not the guy who is robbing you is not wearing a mask, etc. he actually gave me 2 hospital grade masks as a gift when leaving.

Superheroes wear masks too ^:)^

• Registered Users Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭McGiver

No: I don't care enough
    True though I'd mandate for masks with people who visit offices and homes. People like IT techies, delivery, plumbers, electricians and the like. One delivery guy who was a "superspreader" could infect a load of offices and homes in a fairly short time.

Mandate masks for anyone entering any building or enclosed space including public transport. Simple. That's what the Austrians did and what Czechs downgraded their regime to now (from masks for anyone anywhere outside before).

reg114 wrote: »
    Five you say ?

1.https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2662657/

2.https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-020-0843-2

3.https://www.ijidonline.com/article/S1201-9712(08)01008-4/fulltext

4.https://academic.oup.com/cid/article/49/2/275/405108

5.https://journals.plos.org/plospathogens/article?id=10.1371/journal.ppat.1003205

The evidence of the benefit of wearing masks indoors or outdoors as a method of mitigating transmission of aerosolized viruses is incontrovertible. The efficacy of the mask depends on the materials used within the mask with medical grade masks clearly being far more efficient than a homemade mask. That being said any basic mask made with items from around the home would be more efficient at preventing the spread of the virus, than using no mask at all.

As an aside if you have a vacuum cleaner at home the bag inside the cleaner contains a hepa filter which has been proven to be as efficacious as a medical grade mask, as they are made of the same multiple layers of tightly woven fibres.

It also must be emphasised, a mask is primarily worn to reduce the transmission by an infected person to those who are non infected. This is crucial in the context of covid19 where infected patients possess a huge viral load in their nose and throats and are at risk of shedding everytime they exhale. Someone can be asymptomatic and be shedding as the breathe in the queue in tesco, if they are wearing even a homemade mask meade from a scarf or t shirt they will shed less to their immediate environment than they would if their mouth was uncovered.

Incidentally the term 'peer reviewed' simply means 'published', it is not a guarantee that the findings are factually correct. The overriding evidence regarding the efficacy of masks is not in question for the majority of immunologists and the medical profession as a whole.

Thanks so much for this.

You are right about the DIY cotton face mask with an insert (doesn't have to a HEPA filter). Given that a cotton face mask was proved to be at about 60% filtration of virus sized particles then I'd be surprised if you didn't get to surgical mask level of filtration i.e. 80%+ with this DIY design. I'd assume 80% at least.

• Advertisement

It also must be emphasised, a mask is primarily worn to reduce the transmission by an infected person to those who are non infected. This is crucial in the context of covid19 where infected patients possess a huge viral load in their nose and throats and are at risk of shedding everytime they exhale. Someone can be asymptomatic and be shedding as the breathe in the queue in tesco, if they are wearing even a homemade mask meade from a scarf or t shirt they will shed less to their immediate environment than they would if their mouth was uncovered.
    Also, for example Dutch numbers of antibodies present in blood donations sample of 10,000 people showed 3% antibodies in that sample. Given that Covid-19 has been shown not to readily generate antibodies then the percentage in general population who could be asymptomatic and spreading it could be even higher.
    If we use the 3% value as a representative sample for the whole Dutch population of 17M, then Netherlands could have had already as many as 500k cases, whereas they officially recorded only 30k or so.

There may be a huge cohort of asymptomatic spreaders out there and the evidence for this is accumulating. If this hypothesis is confirmed then then the difference in terms of the spread/curve between Austria/Czechia and other countries is clearly mostly due to the masks.

In Austria now we have the weird situation where we have to wear masks on public transport.. but covering your face in public is also illegal (since 2/3 years).

The last few years we've been told in Europe that covering your face is wrong, it's not our culture, it's criminal, for terrorists etc

Well, you're covering your mouth, not the face. Quantitative difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

I guess it depends on how the Austrian law is written. Technically a mask only covers you face partially but it could still be covered depending on how the law specifically defines face covering. And more importantly I assume the law does take the motive for covering your face into account and has exceptions for situations whereby this is required for health and safety reasons, ranging from workers dealing with dangerous substances and wearing PPE while being in a public area to someone wearing a helmet to ride a motorbike, etc.

Plus you could also say locking-down the whole population in their home isn't Austrian culture and is for totalitarian states, but it was done anyway on a temporary basis.

The bottomline is that those 2 things (and others) which are usually not normal are accepted on a temporary basis to protect the health of the population. The key being that it has to be temporary and go back to normality once the epidemic is under control.

McGiver wrote: »
    Well, you're covering your mouth, not the face. Quantitative difference.

Not really in practice though, a lot of masks go right up to the eyes and with a hat it's not much different to a Niqab that they've been telling us has no place in our society. And even then if you don't have a mask a scarf pulled up high is acceptable, I've been wearing a converted football-ultra bandana on low risk shop visits to spare my actual masks, and that's specifically meant for hiding your face :pac:

Five you say ?

5.https://journals.plos.org/plospathogens/article?id=10.1371/journal.ppat.1003205

The evidence of the benefit of wearing masks indoors or outdoors as a method of mitigating transmission of aerosolized viruses is incontrovertible. The efficacy of the mask depends on the materials used within the mask with medical grade masks clearly being far more efficient than a homemade mask. That being said any basic mask made with items from around the home would be more efficient at preventing the spread of the virus, than using no mask at all.

As an aside if you have a vacuum cleaner at home the bag inside the cleaner contains a hepa filter which has been proven to be as efficacious as a medical grade mask, as they are made of the same multiple layers of tightly woven fibres.

Incidentally the term 'peer reviewed' simply means 'published', it is not a guarantee that the findings are factually correct. The overriding evidence regarding the efficacy of masks is not in question for the majority of immunologists and the medical profession as a whole.

Hold on now, peer reviewed does not simply mean published.. that's just plain wrong. It does not necessarily mean that the findings are correct alright, but it means at least two people, maybe more have at least checked it. I wonder what your papers above actually do say now..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

It seems the masks debate is not a new thing. Plus ca change etc. This twitter thread follows the anti mask protest of 1919. ( ps I do not know who Tim Mak is so if he is some rogue well...I don't care :) )

PS a typo was made in 1st tweet. Sept 1918 was meant.

https://twitter.com/timkmak/status/1251936242834563073?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Not really in practice though, a lot of masks go right up to the eyes and with a hat it's not much different to a Niqab

This probably is a discussion for another thread, but I can't agree with that. Factually, a regular mask/respirator clearly covers a fairly smaller portion of someone's face than a niqab, and the person remains easier to recognise (see sample pictures below). Yes if you are wearing a large hat going down to your eyes, something covering your cheeks and ears, and something covering your neck you'll start getting close - but this is uncommon and IMO someone going down that route would just show they are more into trying to take advantage of the very exceptional and temporary covid-19 situation to push their political views than making an honest comparison (as I said no-one would accept locking down the whole population in their home in normal times, but this is accepted right now because the situation is anything but normal).

At the end of the day I think only looking at how much of the face it is covering is missing the point anyway. I don't know about Austria but a key aspect of similar laws in other countries I am more familiar with is the purpose for wearing something which is covering your face. For exemple the exact same helmet can be legal if worn to ride a motorbike as it is required for safety reason, and illegal if worn while walking down the street as there is no safety requirement to wear it.

images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcR-ynL4BLqDSUoDtSBQpEjdxeevFbnwJNNZiZ2nYSV5iNSXzL1W&usqp=CAU

jpeg.jpg?f=1x1&w=256&$p$f$w=cf769b6

Bob24 wrote: »
    I guess it depends on how the Austrian law is written. Technically a mask only covers you face partially but it could still be covered depending on how the law specifically defines face covering. And more importantly I assume the law does take the motive for covering your face into account and has exceptions for situations whereby this is required for health and safety reasons, ranging from workers dealing with dangerous substances and wearing PPE while being in a public area to someone wearing a helmet to ride a motorbike, etc.

Plus you could also say locking-down the whole population in their home isn't Austrian culture and is for totalitarian states, but it was done anyway on a temporary basis.

The bottomline is that those 2 things (and others) which are usually not normal are accepted on a temporary basis to protect the health of the population. The key being that it has to be temporary and go back to normality once the epidemic is under control.
    Those would be fine arguments, if the law was based on a strong logic in the first place, instead it's not, it was simply a sop to the far right voters to have a go at muslims on the basis of security (and sneak in a ban on covering your face at a demonstration imo), And when things finally do go back to full normality, which could be a year or so until mask wearing in certain places isn't required, then are we just going to switch back to the old line of it's not our culture, just for criminals? By that stage most of us will used to it in our daily lives, at work, at the pub, on the bus

Bob24 wrote: »
    This probably is a discussion for another thread, but I can't agrees with that. Factually, a regular mask/respirator clearly covers a fairly smaller portion of someone's face than a niqab, and the person remains easier to recognise (see sample pictures below).

But at the end of the day I think only looking at how much of the face it is covering is missing the point anyway. I don't know about Austria but a key aspect of similar laws in other countries I am more familiar with is the purpose for wearing something which is covering your face. For exemple the exact same helmet can be legal if worn to ride a motorbike as it is required for safety reason, and illegal if worn while walking down the street as there is no safety requirement to wear it.

images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcR-ynL4BLqDSUoDtSBQpEjdxeevFbnwJNNZiZ2nYSV5iNSXzL1W&usqp=CAU

jpeg.jpg?f=1x1&w=256&$p$f$w=cf769b6

Give me a picture face on, with a hat, like I said

Or if you don't like a hat try sunglasses, because this is the reality of it at the moment

Gynoid wrote: »
    It seems the masks debate is not a new thing. Plus ca change etc. This twitter thread follows the anti mask protest of 1919. ( ps I do not know who Tim Mak is so if he is some rogue well...I don't care :) )

Certain sections of american society would be against being told to do anything at all by the authorities.. as applicable today as it was 100 years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Seanergy wrote: »
    prototyping...good on ya....tweak it, test it, tweak it, test it, your end result will be a snug fit :)

Because we are making masks specfic to our face size and shapes, we get the opportunity during construction to sample fit and nudge, sample fit and nudge, etc. paying attention to negative spaces between the mask and the skin. I've ended up tailoring some cotton masks so well that I get suction.

The purpose of the fit test for us seeing we are using homemade masks is more than just checking to make sure they fit snuggly and won't slip.

We need to test that we can breath through it comfotably whilst moving around and potentially talking and for how long before it gets too humid and needs to be replaced? Maybe you double up on your filters or thin down on them....etc.keep testing.... modifying....you will eventual have the recipe that works for you.

Turning your heads from side to side, up and down, walking, talking. Preforming test motions similar to movements you will do when shopping and or wearing your mask and for a similar duration.

It's good to know ahead of time your shelf life for your reuseable masks. All my wear time has been under an hour to date, but lets say in the future I had to wear a mask for half a day I would be looking at replacing my mask every hour and I'd make sure to enjoy 5 mins fresh air during mask exchange.
    Fit testing and hand washing play a critical role in safe mask usage.
    Thanks for the response, on testing I believe one is slightly too tight a fit and the other is too loose. Hopefully we'll be able to make some adjustments rather than tweaking the next version.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Arrival

Gynoid wrote: »

Interesting reading; pity there hasn't been a virus that attacks the stupidest people in the world

McGiver wrote: »
    Also, for example Dutch numbers of antibodies present in blood donations sample of 10,000 people showed 3% antibodies in that sample. Given that Covid-19 has been shown not to readily generate antibodies then the percentage in general population who could be asymptomatic and spreading it could be even higher.
    If we use the 3% value as a representative sample for the whole Dutch population of 17M, then Netherlands could have had already as many as 500k cases, whereas they officially recorded only 30k or so.

There may be a huge cohort of asymptomatic spreaders out there and the evidence for this is accumulating. If this hypothesis is confirmed then then the difference in terms of the spread/curve between Austria/Czechia and other countries is clearly mostly due to the masks.

Id be careful with that conclusion for Austria/Czechia McGiver.. in Austria the lockdown came into effect before the mask rule (which also isnt as restrictive as in Czechia), while in Czechia masks and lockdown seem to have came into effect at the same time.

So if it was clearly mostly due to masks for Austria, see can you guess when the rule was brought in from a graph of the r0.. it should be clear right? (Or maybe I'm wrong in my thinking). I would expect an abrupt change a few days after it was introduced but I don't see anything there

536854_bigpicture_182135_eff-reprod-2020-04-17.png?b102a454

I don't want to always be negative and poking holes here, but it has to be done

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

Yes: surgical
    Does anyone else find when they're out and about and having trouble with their mask or simply a bit anxious about people getting too close, you ask yourself the question: what would Wibbs do?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Don't shower for a week and fart loudly and often. A slight cough works too. Instant social distancing. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Got it.

Shower them with farts.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Spring Celebrator

Id be careful with that conclusion for Austria/Czechia McGiver.. in Austria the lockdown came into effect before the mask rule (which also isnt as restrictive as in Czechia), while in Czechia masks and lockdown seem to have came into effect at the same time.

So if it was clearly mostly due to masks for Austria, see can you guess when the rule was brought in from a graph of the r0.. it should be clear right? (Or maybe I'm wrong in my thinking). I would expect an abrupt change a few days after it was introduced but I don't see anything there

536854_bigpicture_182135_eff-reprod-2020-04-17.png?b102a454

I don't want to always be negative and poking holes here, but it has to be done

Slovakia
    Restaurants bars etc closed from 16.3
    Mandatory 14 days ´home´ quarantine for people coming from abroad from 14.3.
    Masks mandatory from 25.3., although people wore it from 9ish of March, Prime minister and president wore them from 13.3.
    Mandatory quarantine in state accomodations for people coming from abroad from 6.4.
    Lockdown from 8.4.
    1173 infected, 13 deaths, 47000 tests (now at around 2000-3000/day), 251 recovered.
    Mandatory quarantine in state accomodations for people coming from abroad from 6.4.
    IMHO masks helped a lot but the quarantine was the game changer. Most of infected people in Slovakia are citizens coming from abroad.
    70wyh3zb21o41.jpg

Yup. It's a many tiered approach that all the nations handling this better than us took. Quarantine. We still don't do that. Contact tracing. Largely a farce here. Testing. Ditto. Shut pubs, cafes and most shops. We did well there. Handwashing and social distancing? Pretty good on this front. Masks. Not even on the horizon, until the WHO says so. We should have one of the lowest rates of death per million in the West, but we don't. And those who take some grim "comfort" that most of our deaths are in nursing homes? Those places have staff, usually poorly paid, and families they go home to, who will in turn get the dose and pass it along in the community, where more will get it and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭paddy19

. Masks. Not even on the horizon, until the WHO says so.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/face-masks-should-there-be-a-cover-up-

One of the better articles on masks I have read.

Are you proposing that every man, woman and child wears a surgical mask both indoors and outdoors forever!
    Five you say ?

Applicable to households not outdoor use.
    We concluded that household use of masks is associated with low adherence and is ineffective in controlling seasonal ILI. If adherence were greater, mask use might reduce transmission during a severe influenza pandemic.

This study is about surgical masks.
    Our results indicate that surgical face masks could prevent transmission of human coronaviruses and influenza viruses from symptomatic individuals.

This about masks in households.
    The First Randomized, Controlled Clinical Trial of Mask Use in Households to Prevent Respiratory Virus Transmission
    Conclusions: This is the first RCT on mask use to be conducted and provides data to inform pandemic planning. We found compliance to be low, but compliance is affected by perception of risk. In a pandemic, we would expect compliance to improve. In compliant users, masks were highly efficacious. A larger study is required to enumerate the difference in efficacy (if any) between surgical and non-fit tested P2 masks.

A Quantitative Assessment of the Efficacy of Surgical and N95 Masks to Filter Influenza Virus in Patients with Acute Influenza Infection

Influenza Virus Aerosols in Human Exhaled Breath: Particle Size, Culturability, and Effect of Surgical Masks

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Spring Celebrator

paddy19 wrote: »

He is a pathologist not an epidemiologist.

He is talking about the virus size and comparing them to the pores of a mask. The virus spreads primarily through droplets generated when an infected person coughs or sneezes, or through droplets of saliva or discharge from the nose.

But I think you have a point to ask for per viewed studies (except sources from China). The thing is, there maybe aren't any. But looking at the numbers from countries where masks are widely used or madatory, it looks like the masks are helping. Might be a coincidence tho. But I'd rather be laughed at than be responsible for infecting someone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭snoopboggybog

Yes: to protect others
    So much conflicting stuff on the Internet about wearing masks and different arguments going around.

I have medical grade disposable masks and I wear them going to the Supermarket every two weeks.

If I get even 1% better protection than having nothing I will wear the mask, If i do get the Coronavirus It will be help me stop spreading it to other people and I mightn't even know I have it!

People going on about looking stupid for wearing one I'll just say the incubation period is 14 days, During that 14 days I might not know I have the virus and if the mask helps me to stop spreading it then I don't give a feck what other people think.

Its pretty sad people are laughing at people for wearing masks.

It's so different in Asia. You can feel the hatred directed at people who you don't have one on. It's the law but it's the social consequences that are really effective. People can afford the fines but they can't afford the stigma of being someone that doesn't care about their fellow citizens.

Don't end up like Lorenzo Dolci.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

We are about to be told to wear masks on public transport after anyone who mentioned it a few weeks a go was scolded on public tv.

• Advertisement

But I think you have a point to ask for per viewed studies (except sources from China). The thing is, there maybe aren't any. But looking at the numbers from countries where masks are widely used or madatory, it looks like the masks are helping. Might be a coincidence tho. But I'd rather be laughed at than be responsible for infecting someone.

I can't find any either.

Viruses have been around for a long time, if the case for wearing masks outdoors was strong you would think there would be 5 studies.

Are we going to make every man, women and child wear a mask outdoors forever based on "it looks like the masks are helping".

This is dangerous Anti-Vaxxers territory, decisions based on opinions not science.

Science is far from perfect and gets things wrong but basing decisions on opinions is the road to chaos.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement