Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New RTE Player

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,718 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Kurn wrote: »
    I started watching Frasier series on RTE player. The last week - every single episode _null_stream. Has anyone in RTE not come accorss the fact that most of their titles don't actually load...

I just tried Frasier now on a LG TV and Frasier plays normally here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

The lg app doesn't seem to remember where you previously watched even though you register an id with it. Is that the same with the other tv apps.

Other half wants it for the late late toy show so I might end up just chromecasting from the phone.
    Same with the Samsung. You have to restart the episode of of course watch even more ads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

garv123 wrote: »
    Same with the Samsung. You have to restart the episode of of course watch even more ads.

This is a genuine question without any anti RTE app stuff, but how can say Netflix prime etc run perfectly for me on a 1gbps fiber connection and then Rte app buffers, adds etc?

Before complaints be made tot he bai what is the issue with Rte and seeing ads aside from the obvious

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

This is a genuine question without any anti RTE app stuff, but how can say Netflix prime etc run perfectly for me on a 1gbps fiber connection and then Rte app buffers, adds etc?

Before complaints be made tot he bai what is the issue with Rte and seeing ads aside from the obvious

With the ads, you watch the ads at the beginning, grand no issues, but if you have to skip forward to where you stopped watching, You must watch the same ads again straight away. Then if it freezes and you have to refresh, guess what? Both sets of ads again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

garv123 wrote: »
    With the ads, you watch the ads at the beginning, grand no issues, but if you have to skip forward to where you stopped watching, You must watch the same ads again straight away. Then if it freezes and you have to refresh, guess what? Both sets of ads again.

Yeah, I've noticed that much...my question was more from a technical perspective . I am watching Netflix with some 4k content and it has never ght buffered even once. I turned on the player last night before posting and tried 'bachelors walk' for a bit of nostalgia. Buffered within 10 minutes of play to a freeze, only option to restart and view the ads again.

I am sure RTE get paid per ad view/play. Is this potentially deliberate? How can other streaming services run perfectly with content that requires far higher levels of data transmission but the RTE app freezes all the time without fail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

No idea but IMO this is what happens...

TLDR...RTE don't have enough server capacity.

Request for RTE player stream from RTE server redirects to whichever server is providing the ads and when the ads finish they redirect back to RTE servers...but their servers don't have enough capacity to fulfill all the requests and then redirects to the ad servers again but forgets that you have already seen the ads...same with fast forward...it's probably treated as a new request and you have to go back through the ads again because they forget where you were in the program (accidentally of course...)

It's like a Grand Prix where you get redirected to the pit lane on every lap because there's too many cars on the track, instead of widening the track they force you into the pits...which is an accurate description of the RTE player. Even when you do get on to the track it's full of potholes to make it more annoying.

The question is whether the ad overload is by accident or design but the pertinent question is whether RTE get paid for the endless ads even if no program plays...the suspicion is that they do which is a questionable policy and should be scrutinised....but that level of technical expertise probably isn't available in BAI so nothing will be done and someone will shout about commercial sensitivity to fob it off.

The fact that the player is a subject of discussion on current affairs programs is some indictment of the shambles it is.

RTE mentioning it in every ad break as a usable catch up service shows how little they care....it leaves them open to the accusation that it's just a means of harvesting ad revenue.

Never had any problems with TG4 player...how can they do it correctly...

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

RTE obviously aren't paying for sufficient bandwidth at their end to serve the demand.

Much as I'd rather stay within the law and am happy to watch my quota of ads to help fund the national broadcaster, the quality of experience is so dismal that I've more-or-less given up on the RTE Player at this stage and watch the content where it's available on the BBC iPlayer or via torrenting instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭EdmondShiels3

RTE player keep buffering. Unusable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭KildareP

Quackster wrote: »
    RTE obviously aren't paying for sufficient bandwidth at their end to serve the demand.

Much as I'd rather stay within the law and am happy to watch my quota of ads to help fund the national broadcaster, the quality of experience is so dismal that I've more-or-less given up on the RTE Player at this stage and watch the content where it's available on the BBC iPlayer or via torrenting instead.

Same.

They stream everything locally out of Donnybrook unlike Sky, BBC or Netflix who uses a Content Delivery Network provider like Akamai (or in Netflix's case they went and built their own and Amazon Prime naturally uses AWS).

A CDN will scale to demand but naturally you pay to scale versus having a fixed cost circuit and a streaming server sitting in Donnybrook and once it's maxed out then that's that and unlucky to anyone new trying to connect.

Or, as seems to happen more often in times of high demand, the circuit and streaming servie is so under pressure it just fails entirely and everyone gets cut off.

Ads are probably served off another server or service to content so are better able to cope under demand which is why it's near flawless in streaming the ads but hit the content and it's goodnight lights out.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

KildareP wrote: »
    Same.

They stream everything locally out of Donnybrook unlike Sky, BBC or Netflix who uses a Content Delivery Network provider like Akamai (or in Netflix's case they went and built their own and Amazon Prime naturally uses AWS).

A CDN will scale to demand but naturally you pay to scale versus having a fixed cost circuit and a streaming server sitting in Donnybrook and once it's maxed out then that's that and unlucky to anyone new trying to connect.

Or, as seems to happen more often in times of high demand, the circuit and streaming servie is so under pressure it just fails entirely and everyone gets cut off.

Ads are probably served off another server or service to content so are better able to cope under demand which is why it's near flawless in streaming the ads but hit the content and it's goodnight lights out.

Netflix uses AWS afaik.

I could be wrong but I'd question why RTÉ didn't examine the idea of using AWS along with Netflix opensource software.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭KildareP

Elmo wrote: »
    Netflix uses AWS afaik.

I could be wrong but I'd question why RTÉ didn't examine the idea of using AWS along with Netflix opensource software.

The navigation menus, website and frontend systems uses AWS but content is served via their own CDN OpenConnect.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭mcquaim

Hi folks,

I was doing a bit of tinkering on this today and managed to get a working version of the RTE Player onto the Fire TV.

I only noticed today that we have two versions of the app for Android, one for mobile touch devices and another for Android TV. The latest version of the RTE Player APK for Android TV is 1.0.3. I wasn't able to find this anywhere as an APK but I did find version 1.0.1.

Anyway, I downloaded it and installed it on my 4K Fire TV and it is working fine, better than fine actually as the really annoying adverts don't seem to play on it when installed this way.

Anyway, I got the APK here:
    https://aapks.com/apk/rte-rte/version/42841347/

Hopefully this works for the rest of you looking it also.

Cheers!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 tel2355

Thanks mcquaim I have rte player now working on firestick. I see eastenders is not coming up when searched could this be due to it not being on the android TV version? It's finding it ok on my phone

• Registered Users Posts: 3 tel2355

Found it in category drama. Would not find in when searching.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,828 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

mcquaim wrote: »
    Hi folks,

I was doing a bit of tinkering on this today and managed to get a working version of the RTE Player onto the Fire TV.

I only noticed today that we have two versions of the app for Android, one for mobile touch devices and another for Android TV. The latest version of the RTE Player APK for Android TV is 1.0.3. I wasn't able to find this anywhere as an APK but I did find version 1.0.1.

Anyway, I downloaded it and installed it on my 4K Fire TV and it is working fine, better than fine actually as the really annoying adverts don't seem to play on it when installed this way.

Cheers!!

thank you and thank god for boards

Now I can watch the rte player pain free

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Dec4

Hi folks,

Cheers!!
    Tried this but getting error message "Download not supported at this time"... any solutions?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Hi folks,

Cheers!!

Thank you!!

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Dec4

Dec4 wrote: »
    Tried this but getting error message "Download not supported at this time"... any solutions?
    Sorted...!
    Used Downloader rather than Silk browser
    Thanks again mcquaim!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Hi folks,

Cheers!!

Is it possible to get live TV with this version on the Firestick?

Is it possible to get live TV with this version on the Firestick?

Afraid not...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Is that apk above still working on the firestick?

I had the apk from another site, same version though but its not working since last night.
    Stream not found error. App opens to the discover tab now which it didn't previously

batistuta9 wrote: »
    Is that apk above still working on the firestick?

I had the apk from another site, same version though but its not working since last night.
    Stream not found error. App opens to the discover tab now which it didn't previously

Yes, still working...

I've found it a bit glitchy recently though... I end up having to force stopping it, clearing the cache and then starting it again and then all good again...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Yes, still working...

I've found it a bit glitchy recently though... I end up having to force stopping it, clearing the cache and then starting it again and then all good again...

Cache didn't work but clearing data has got it working again.
    I wouldn't really use it that much but that's the first problem I've had with it, installed it since before Xmas

In the app on the settings tab, what does yours show in the bottom right?
    Mine has v2.0.6 but the apk that's installed shows 1.0.1

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭delboy85

Hi folks,

Cheers!!

Thank you so much for posting this. I've just downloaded it to my Firestick and it's working perfectly. No buffering and no adds!

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Danny2580

Tried this today, downloaded fine but blank screen upon opening the app. Any ideas?

Also, if anyone knows where else I can watch RTE live online on a firestick (legally) that would be great. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

just to add to the feedback, the 1.01 apk is working fine on my FireStick, and no ads.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

loyatemu wrote: »
    just to add to the feedback, the 1.01 apk is working fine on my FireStick, and no ads.

Same here. It's actually the most stable RTE Player I've ever experienced.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

How is this downloaded to the fire stick?
    Do you just go into the fire browser and search?

I have a dns service on mine for iplayer etc. I wonder will this allow rte player.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

How is this downloaded to the fire stick?
    Do you just go into the fire browser and search?

I have a dns service on mine for iplayer etc. I wonder will this allow rte player.

Thanks

you can install a browser on the Stick, also an app called Downloader which is what I used. Use the FireStick app on your phone to copy/paste the link to the Stick.

I have a Smart DNS-based VPN on my FireStick, RTE Player still works fine (whether it's being sent through the VPN I don't know).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Firestick app on the playstore?
    How does the phone put it on the stick?

Advertisement