Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New RTE Player

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

You could cast it to a pc monitor and watch live tv - no tv licence needed so maybe they realised the fallback and removed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭vidapura

decor58 wrote: »
    Is that the old (yellow and black) one, my Samsung bluray has the message that the app won't be available from November 11th.

I gave up on the RTE Player app on the LG.. just non-functional.

I got a NowTV stick for the kitchen TV and strangely enough it has a working RTE player on it ...

Still has sh*teloads of ads, but it does eventually play the programme...

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭mcquaim

Yeah, I have it on the Shield TV and on an LG TV.

It seems to be a version designed for Android TV boxes and it's pretty decent. The version that is available to sideload seems to be for touch devices and doesn't work on the Fire TV.

Is it possible to download an APK from the Shield TV for instance and load it onto the Fire TV?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

decor58 wrote: »
    Is that the old (yellow and black) one, my Samsung bluray has the message that the app won't be available from November 11th.

A relative's 2014 Samsung Smart TV (H6700) has the same message regarding not working after today. And there's no way of updating the app to the newer version. The TV is only 5 years old. Surely RTÉ should be making sure their app is available to Samsung TVs

Surely RTÉ should be making sure their app is available to Samsung TVs

Surely if RTE and the government are making it mandatory for every household in the country to pay a license fee they should be expected to at least provide a functional Player.. for All platforms...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭decor58

vidapura wrote: »
    Surely if RTE and the government are making it mandatory for every household in the country to pay a license fee they should be expected to at least provide a functional Player.. for All platforms...

We bought a Sony TV in 2011, and most of the apps on it were useless within 18 months, tv3, Netflix, Sky news, BBC news, the message was "this app is not compatible with your device". It was one the early SMART tv's, who bears the responsibility, the app developer or the product manufacturer, same with phones, apps update all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

I find RTE player absolutely awful lately!

We dont have any top internet, but we get speeds of about 7-10mb.

With no issues at all, we watch Netflix, Prime, Now tv, and then we use Virgin Player on the laptop.

But RTE player is absolutely useless. Always buffering, it works slightly better on the laptop than the tv but still not good enough to watch an episode.

But yet the ads all load perfect, but it might freeze at the end of the ads, and when you refresh you have to rewatch the ads. Then when you skip onto where you stopped you have to watch more ads because you're skipping an ad break along the way.
    I dunno why I bother paying the TV licence for such crap service. Then when you go abroad you have to pay for GAA games.

Rte player no longer working on LG tv. It doesn't even load the first screen.

The new updated version of the RTE player is still working on my LG,I watched an episode of Paths To Freedom during the lunch break!

Rte player stopped working on my Samsung TV today. Says update now to keep watching but In small blurry font it says available on computer devices only. The update says the service is having issues try again.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Chatting to someone who works in RTE recently about the player. He said internally they run it thinking that they have good connectivity. But he says the problems are the scale out on demand, that they won't consider streaming via AWS and as such, it'll never be able to cope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭FRIENDO

New RTE player not working on the Now TV stick either

Everything else perfect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

FRIENDO wrote: »
    New RTE player not working on the Now TV stick either

Everything else perfect

Same here. The oh watches it on the phone, and it crashes constantly. I've given up on it. 10yrs they've been trying to get this working and its still abysmal.

Chatting to someone who works in RTE recently about the player. He said internally they run it thinking that they have good connectivity. But he says the problems are the scale out on demand, that they won't consider streaming via AWS and as such, it'll never be able to cope.

Yeah its fairly obvious they don't have much technical nous in the place.
    I doubt it was developed in-house and I'd say internally they don't have a clue.

The "contact us" part of RTE player is slow and glitchy, and I cant leave a message..

That really sums it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Kurn

Yea last night I said I'd watch something on the bus in RTE Player, 4 ads loaded, it played the program for 5 mins and then completly crashed.

I have to say I have never noticed any other app crash like that on my iPhone. On my LG TV, it seems very slow and sluggish, like the TV is pushed to it's limits trying to load it. Then it askes me to login regardless of the fact I already did log in. Then I get stream not found or it works eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

A relative's 2014 Samsung Smart TV (H6700) has the same message regarding not working after today. And there's no way of updating the app to the newer version. The TV is only 5 years old. Surely RTÉ should be making sure their app is available to Samsung TVs

I contacted RTÉ yesterday via https://www.rte.ie/player/profile/contact

And this was their response this evening...

Hi ***,
    Thank you for getting in touch with RTÉ Player.
    Some Smart TV's (LG/Samsung) are no longer providing updates or support for this particular version of the operating system. As such, if you have an operating system that pre-dates 2015 the latest RTÉ Player app update may not be compatible with your TV. If possible, please update the software on your TV to the latest version. If you are unable to do this, I'm afraid that I can no longer provide technical support regarding this issue.
    Best wishes,

So basically any LG or Samsung Smart TV older than 4 years won't have access to RTÉ Player. And yes the TV has the latest software update. What a complete joke

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

Good news! Was able to update to the new (Red) RTE player on my LG TV a few minutes ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭mossy464

ShaneOC wrote: »
    Good news! Was able to update to the new (Red) RTE player on my LG TV a few minutes ago.

How old is your LG? Mine is two years old but don't have the option to update when I open rte player and can't find it in the content store either.

I've also checked the TV for a software update and it's up to date.

Such a pain

mossy464 wrote: »
    How old is your LG? Mine is two years old but don't have the option to update when I open rte player and can't find it in the content store either.

I've also checked the TV for a software update and it's up to date.

Such a pain

Mine is about 3 years old. I had it set to the UK content store and when I switched it back to the Irish one it said some apps needed to be updated and the new RTE player was available.

Mine is about 3 years old. I had it set to the UK content store and when I switched it back to the Irish one it said some apps needed to be updated and the new RTE player was available.

I have done this. No virgin media player comes up in the content store, just youtube clips.
    The rte player won't load for me either.

Do you have the broadcast country and the lg content store both set to Ireland?

• Advertisement

I have done this. No virgin media player comes up in the content store, just youtube clips.
    The rte player won't load for me either.

Do you have the broadcast country and the lg content store both set to Ireland?

No, broadcast country is set to the UK.

I don't have Virgin Media player showing up either.

No, broadcast country is set to the UK.

I don't have Virgin Media player showing up either.

I have the same as that but the rte player won't load for me. I have just noticed that the rte player is no longer in my dns database so I will contact the provider.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭mossy464

I changed my LG services country back to Ireland and I was able to find the new RTE app in the content store.

In order to install it I had to remove the old one first as it kept opening that one.

I have the new one installed now, although the first thing I tried to watch didn't load.

Anyway, progress :D

I contacted my dns provider. It seems they have removed support for the rte player as rte were constantly blocking their servers in Ireland. That is what they say. Maybe rte issued a strongly worded letter. I won't be bothering with the rte player now.

I noticed my samsung 6 tv downloaded a new RTE player by itself in the last few days. The red logo one. The old one was still there too.
    Seemed to open up ok. Didnt have time to check how well it worked.

The lg app doesn't seem to remember where you previously watched even though you register an id with it. Is that the same with the other tv apps.

Other half wants it for the late late toy show so I might end up just chromecasting from the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

The lg app doesn't seem to remember where you previously watched even though you register an id with it. Is that the same with the other tv apps.

Other half wants it for the late late toy show so I might end up just chromecasting from the phone.

I thought the LG app doesn't even have a watch live function. That's how mine is anyway, just playback.

There is no live stream. Neither is there a catchup. It is just a random series of tiles. You can't see content from yesterday or the days before.

I use the iplayer and the difference in quality is staggering.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

There is no live stream. Neither is there a catchup. It is just a random series of tiles. You can't see content from yesterday or the days before.

I use the iplayer and the difference in quality is staggering.

sorry, misunderstood, thought you were saying you would watch it live on LG tv using player tonight.

I haven't used RTE player in months, you can exaggerate criticisms but when I say RTE player is unusable and completely useless...it really is just that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Kurn

I started watching Frasier series on RTE player. The last week - every single episode _null_stream. Has anyone in RTE not come accorss the fact that most of their titles don't actually load...

Advertisement