Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New RTE Player

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

decor58 wrote: »
    I don't think so, I bought a Walker tv recently, no RTÉ player and I can't see any way of loading it, but it wasn't a deal breaker. Samsung and LG have the player but I don't know of any others
    I've spotted it on Sony Android TV's now too. Seemed to work OK the brief time I tried it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,417 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

The ads are doing my fücking head in. That Brady hams ad boils my piss, donnacha o Callahan’s stupid face ad and no amount of advertising Budweiser would make me want to buy it.

Oh and the volume of the ads! I’ve to turn the tv up to hear the show I’m watching, one at might be at normal volume level then the next nearly blows the speakers up. It’s a total fücking disgrace.

Any adblocker for this??

Any sign of it coming onto LG smart tvs, new version that is?

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Machinehead

Six months now since launch. I've been in contact with them many times via Twitter. Always the same generic response -'roll out to LG TVs coming soon', then to be told on another occasion that 'LG TVs weren't getting the new update'. They 'launched' it for LG post Christmas, worked fine for a couple of days, then they withdrew the update & went back to the old version. I had no issues with the new version, in fact I would say it was damn good. Why they had to withdraw the update to the newer version baffles me. Perhaps someone from the RTÉ tech department that might occasionally venture onto these forums & see this thread could explain.
    They are now publicising that new box-sets have been added to the Player & in that ad it says available on mobile, tablet & smart TVs. Now I think that at launch time pre-Christmas, they should have had the product ready to roll across all platforms & not just a 'coming soon' philosophy.
    Just had a thought, if they do polls on these forums might try one to see which manufacturers have been updated.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭SomeDude

Hi All, I have a Now TV box. I noticed that live TV is not an option on the RTÉ Player app. Is this the case for other people? If so, could anyone recommend a media streaming device that does play live TV from RTÉ Player?

Thanks

• Advertisement

SomeDude wrote: »
    Hi All, I have a Now TV box. I noticed that live TV is not an option on the RTÉ Player app. Is this the case for other people? If so, could anyone recommend a media streaming device that does play live TV from RTÉ Player?

Thanks
    If your TV has a built in casting service like Miracast or if you've got a Chromecast dongle for your TV, you could cast from (via the RTÉ Player app) an Android or iOS device to your TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭el_gaucho

If your TV has a built in casting service like Miracast or if you've got a Chromecast dongle for your TV, you could cast from (via the RTÉ Player app) an Android or iOS device to your TV.

I don’t know about Chromecast but the RTE player is completely useless with Apple TV. It constantly looses the connection and every time that happens you have to start from the beginning and watch the ads again. I’ve given up on it at this stage. Any time the app is updated I give it another try - more in hope than expectation at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

The new rte player is really poor. Lots of crashes. It is to be avoided for live tv. I don't know how they get away with putting out such a poor product yet screaming in the background for a broadcasting charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭EdmondShiels3

The weather never seem to play on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Kurn

The new version has stopped working on my Shield.

I get an upside-down android icon. Delete the app - re-download it. Works for a while then back to upside down Icon.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I have it on my Sony tv and so far I've had issues with it forgetting which episode I was watching, often bringing me to an earlier episode when I press the "continue watching" button (I'm using a logged in account).
    The worst part of the app is the amount of ads you must watch and they tend to be the same ads shown over and over again which makes the experience quite frustrating. When you've to watch the same four or five ads before it shows the wrong episode and then to be forced to watch them again seconds later when you find the correct episode is head wrecking.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭phunkadelic

Anyone got RTE player on ndivia shield? I have and it doesn't show any ads at all. I don't login to the app, not sure if it is related to that.
    Same app shows ads on my android phone. No idea why it doesn't on the Shield, but it's great. Mind you I do have to clear the cache on the app each time to launch it, but worth it to not get any ads.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Heiser

Can anyone PM me with details on how to get the rte and 3 player App on a firestick 4k? Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

Heiser wrote: »
    Can anyone PM me with details on how to get the rte and 3 player App on a firestick 4k? Thanks!

Can someone pm me with this info also please?

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭The Dark Knight

Heiser wrote: »

Love that info also if anyone can send on.
    Thanks in advance!

RTÉ Player on LG TV. Unable to check for update on the app as I have my TV set to LG UK. The thing is tho' I went to the LG store to check for new/updated apps & the app icon for the RTÉ Player had changed from the old black one to the new red one. Can anyone tell me if the app has been updated for LG. (I cannot check myself without doing a reset to LG Irl - tedious process to switch to LG Irl to update the app & then back to LG UK for Freesat).

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭fman

Can't say whether there's any improvement or not but yes the app on LG updated this week.

I updated the rte player on my lg tv.
    I have an account set up linked to the tv.
    However, it doesn't seem to be giving me any info on what shows I have watched. That is a killer for a streaming app.

I looked at the rte player on my android phone. It is the same.

Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭mcquaim

Hi there,

Has anyone got the new RTE Player installed on the Fire TV?

I have it on a Nvidia Shield and an Android TV box but I can't get any APK for the Fire TV.

Any help appreciated.

Cheers,
    Mac

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

I updated the rte player on my lg tv.
    I have an account set up linked to the tv.
    However, it doesn't seem to be giving me any info on what shows I have watched. That is a killer for a streaming app.

I looked at the rte player on my android phone. It is the same.

Any ideas?

and also no live streaming still...clearly deliberate for non licence fee payers, of which I am not one but I dont have a connection or dish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

My IPTV streaming is working fine for RTE and I don't pay any licence. Oddly enough I don't even have to experience ads on it most of the time, a screen comes up saying "RTE Player" when ads should be on so I even avoid any ads watching this way. No other channel does this. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 10,277 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

My IPTV streaming is working fine for RTE and I don't pay any licence. Oddly enough I don't even have to experience ads on it most of the time, a screen comes up saying "RTE Player" when ads should be on so I even avoid any ads watching this way. No other channel does this. :p

Yay for breaking the law.... :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

paleoperson for such blatant trolling as I haven’t seen in a while, you can take a straight 48 hour ban

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

mcquaim wrote: »
    Hi there,

Has anyone got the new RTE Player installed on the Fire TV?

I have it on a Nvidia Shield and an Android TV box but I can't get any APK for the Fire TV.

Any help appreciated.

Cheers,
    Mac

I have given up on this for a while now and such a shame as the other players like 4OD work excellent on it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

campo wrote: »
    I have given up on this for a while now and such a shame as the other players like 4OD work excellent on it

In recent conversation it would be worth knowing who honestly pays their licence and moans about thei player.

I pay it because we are annually called to summons but we’ve no rte. Netflix and that’s it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,415 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Marian Finucane gave Moya Doherty, Chairperson of RTE Board, a hard time yesterday about the inadequacies of the Player app during an interview on her radio show. "I get the ads, but nothing else".

Rte player no longer working on LG tv. It doesn't even load the first screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭decor58

Rte player no longer working on LG tv. It doesn't even load the first screen.

Is that the old (yellow and black) one, my Samsung bluray has the message that the app won't be available from November 11th.

No the new one. It worked for a few days and then wouldn't load. Maybe it is because I switched the tv to the uk apps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,718 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Live stream wouldn't work at all for me earlier with Chromecast. Could do catch up no problems.

Advertisement