Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unfunny Irish comedians <<MOD note in OP>>

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

Or if she were a man.
    Or an incel stoner.

Do you two snuggle up at night and whisper nice things into each others ears?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,570 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Do you two snuggle up at night and whisper nice things into each others ears?

Nah, it’s all “social distancing” these days, H. Gotta be liberal with it. But I should point out that I’m orientated towards the “fairer sex”, myself.

Not too sure about Mr. Flash, though. He talks a big “game” but it’s always been my experience that the ones who boast, and that, tend to be “full of it”.

What about yourself, squire? You don’t strike me as someone who’d have anyone to “snuggle up” with. I’m guessing you keep yourself busy, and entertained, getting all worked up over unfunny Irish, female, comedians.

I guess with “woke” articles drying up on The Journal you have to work a little harder trying to scour up things to “ruffle” your feathers. I’m sure there’s some #metoo stuff on the back burner so you won’t be disappointed.

You know, something you can get a real grip on. Give yourself a good “Trumpy pumpy” session, lots of teeth gritting, chin spittle and angry swearing, you know the drill.

I’d ask you to ease up on it but, I’d say, we’re well past that. Throttling the life out of the poor little thing. But, anyway, don’t let me stop you, it’s a free country.

Happy trails!

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 16,533 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Herpes would be funnier, and more welcome, than Alison Spittle.

The desire within RTE to promote Irish artists, in all disciplines, overrides any desire for quality content.

Sure the BBC or Channel 4 might poach her and her ilk. :rolleyes:

Nah, it’s all “social distancing” these days, H. Gotta be liberal with it. But I should point out that I’m orientated towards the “fairer sex”, myself.

Not too sure about Mr. Flash, though. He talks a big “game” but it’s always been my experience that the ones who boast, and that, tend to be “full of it”.

What about yourself, squire? You don’t strike me as someone who’d have anyone to “snuggle up” with. I’m guessing you keep yourself busy, and entertained, getting all worked up over unfunny Irish, female, comedians.

I guess with “woke” articles drying up on The Journal you have to work a little harder trying to scour up things to “ruffle” your feathers. I’m sure there’s some #metoo stuff on the back burner so you won’t be disappointed.

You know, something you can get a real grip on. Give yourself a good “Trumpy pumpy” session, lots of teeth gritting, chin spittle and angry swearing, you know the drill.

I’d ask you to ease up on it but, I’d say, we’re well past that. Throttling the life out of the poor little thing. But, anyway, don’t let me stop you, it’s a free country.

Happy trails!

ok, but, why “all” the inverted commas?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

ok, but, why “all” the inverted commas?

It's his "thing".

You'll get used to it. Maybe.

• Advertisement

KiKi III wrote: »
    Whether people will admit it here or not, she’d get a lot less abuse if she was size 8.

sorry, but there is very solid theory that fat people are funnier. i think it is Alison’s only strength in comedy. if she was a size 8 i think she would despised even more. she needs to keep eating.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/womens-life/11383794/Fat-women-are-funnier.-We-have-to-be.html

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Looptheloop30

Darren Conway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Sorry about that

Darren Conway

No, he's hilarious. Did ya ever just feel sick?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,285 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

The desire within RTE to promote Irish artists, in all disciplines, overrides any desire for quality content.

Sure the BBC or Channel 4 might poach her and her ilk. :rolleyes:

Rest in Peace, Blizzard of Odd, but one of the noteworthy things Colin Murphy ever said was that most Irish film was s**te (He was discussing a forgotten IRish movie called the Halo Effect). He could very well have made a similar statement on most Irish artists-whether their art is comedy, writing, or music.

In IReland there's too much of an annoying habit of praising mediocrity.
    Doesn't matter how s**t something is, we'll get the 'It's IRish, so love it and be proud of it-or else you're a FENIAN!'.

Spittle, among others, made use of that. Still doesn't make them good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    The only wet fanny around here is your auld one’s.

That is ageist and sexist. For shame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭The Guru 123

Rest in Peace, Blizzard of Odd, but one of the noteworthy things Colin Murphy ever said was that most Irish film was s**te (He was discussing a forgotten IRish movie called the Halo Effect). He could very well have made a similar statement on most Irish artists-whether their art is comedy, writing, or music.

In IReland there's too much of an annoying habit of praising mediocrity.
    Doesn't matter how s**t something is, we'll get the 'It's IRish, so love it and be proud of it-or else you're a FENIAN!'.

Spittle, among others, made use of that. Still doesn't make them good.

Don’t think you understand what a “FENIAN” is

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭smilerf

Name any Irish male comedian who's been using the Covid-19 to raise their profile like Spittle has.

Or any Irish male comedian (of the last ten years) who's been given as much high profile chances as Spittle.

(I'm talking Republic of Telly, A comedy show pilot on the RTE player, multiple appearances on chat shows and other TV shows, her own scripted TV show, as well as appearances on a holiday show-all of which were paid for by the license fee).

I'd have included Jason Byrne, but he's outside the last ten years.
    The unfunny Mr Bishop springs to mind

Don’t think you understand what a “FENIAN” is

That was kind of the joke... that it was used in the wrong way... :)

'Cultural Appropriation' but comically wrong.

smilerf wrote: »
    The unfunny Mr Bishop springs to mind

Grew up in New York, didn't set foot on IRish soil until he was a teen.

Even his material is 'A yank in Ireland'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭smilerf

Grew up in New York, didn't set foot on IRish soil until he was a teen.

Even his material is 'A yank in Ireland'.
    Fair enough
    Ill raise you Pat Shorrt and Pj Gallagher

smilerf wrote: »
    Fair enough
    Ill raise you Pat Shorrt and Pj Gallagher

Pat Shortt has genuinely impressive dramatic chops- that series he did a few years back was genuinely heartbreaking.

Gallaher tho... yeah, he's the overgrown manchild who needs a slap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

I'm not following ANY of them online-they're on the RTE website. That's what I mentioned. I go to RTE's site to check on news, and get stuck with Spittle (or other's) faces on the flipping site. And it's been every few days with Spittle.

I wasn't discussing Social Media-I was discussing the RTE site, paid for out of the license fee.

As for their not being able to gig-that's unfortunate. But many people are unable to go to work, or even carry out work. They're still getting the constant 'pay your license fee' messages from RTE-a portion of which is going to these people.

Joanne McAnally and Des Bishop got free holidays for High Road/Low Road. Spittle got one for some show from a year or so ago.
    All on the RTE dime.

So you’re upset that you occasionally have to see a face you don’t like momentarily as you scroll through a website?

May all your troubles be little ones.

Did you catch her tv show ‘Nowhere Fast’? Was actually decent enough. Better than a lot of the “muck” that’s out there.

No doubt, the crowd on here will put that down to her male “writing partner”, can’t win really.
    Pat Shortt has genuinely impressive dramatic chops- that series he did a few years back was genuinely heartbreaking.

‘Killinaskully’? Didn’t enjoy that one, at all.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,040 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Did you catch her tv show ‘Nowhere Fast’? Was actually decent enough.

I don't think there are many people that share the same opinion as you.
    No doubt, the crowd on here will put that down to her male “writing partner”, can’t win really.

Again, see my comment above.

Doesn't really matter who wrote it. If it looks like a sh1t, smells like a sh1t, and most people think it's a sh1t.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

How come Tommy Tiernan didn’t make the list.

• Advertisement

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    How come Tommy Tiernan didn’t make the list.

There was a time when he was very funny and he was good in Derry girls

KiKi III wrote: »
    So you’re upset that you occasionally have to see a face you don’t like momentarily as you scroll through a website?

May all your troubles be little ones.

Momentarily? We're all stuck indoors-checking the net for the news updates.
    Spittle's been there at least once a week.

It's like she's connected to someone in RTE or something.

I'd be irritated if any other facebook/ twitter 'comic' were getting the same coverage. Meanwhile other comics can't get a lookin.

Killinaskully was (allegedly) a comedy. I wasn't a fan of it, but it had an audience. Similar to Mrs Browns Boys... it had an audience. I'm not part of that audience (I find it unfunny) but there ya go.

I was talking about Smalltown. It was a dramatic mini series. Shortt was surprsingly good in the role of the father.

Momentarily? We're all stuck indoors-checking the net for the news updates.
    Spittle's been there at least once a week.

It's like she's connected to someone in RTE or something.

I'd be irritated if any other facebook/ twitter 'comic' were getting the same coverage. Meanwhile other comics can't get a lookin.

Killinaskully was (allegedly) a comedy. I wasn't a fan of it, but it had an audience. Similar to Mrs Browns Boys... it had an audience. I'm not part of that audience (I find it unfunny) but there ya go.

I was talking about Smalltown. It was a dramatic mini series. Shortt was surprsingly good in the role of the father.

Shortt is actually quite a good actor and entertainer but a lot of people have him down as some kind of cliched country bumpkin comedian.

I find Spittle's material to be pretty awful myself but I guess comedy is subjective. The best for me from here would be Dylan Moran, Dara O' Briaín when he started getting popular and the way before his time Dave Allen.

Presume he means Smalltown, drama series shown on TV3 a few years back.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

You forgot Dave McSavage. So bad I want to punch him.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,040 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

spacetweek wrote: »
    You forgot Dave McSavage. So bad I want to punch him.

Is he the guy that did the Savage Eye? with the massive nose (big enough to steer the Titanic with).

I always liked the Savage Eye, about 80-90% of it was very good in my opinion

Is he the guy that did the Savage Eye? with the massive nose (big enough to steer the Titanic with).

I always liked the Savage Eye, about 80-90% of it was very good in my opinion

Yup forgot about McSavage, he's like Marmite but I always liked him, Savage Eye was brilliant and cutting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭mossie

I've come across this girl recently, Catherine Bohart, keeps cropping up on podcasts and an odd panel show. She's from Dublin but with a weird accent that grates. Not funny either.

mossie wrote: »
    I've come across this girl recently, Catherine Bohart, keeps cropping up on podcasts and an odd panel show.

Yeah, she is a good looking lady.

• Advertisement

Andrew Quirke, is he still thieving a living with Damo and Ivor? I've seen funnier documentaries on the Holocaust than that pathetic shyte.

Advertisement