Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unfunny Irish comedians <<MOD note in OP>>

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭ Jeffrey Scruffy Ramp

Cant argue with a near 30% voting on Spittle out of ten candidates. Speaking of which I haven't had the displeasure of hearing her in quite some time which is a good sign.

she's doing Cypress Avenue in cork in May....just a warning for anyone down in cork

• Registered Users Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Presume it's that Garrity one?

No it was Grainne McGuire.... painful.
    Cant argue with a near 30% voting on Spittle out of ten candidates. Speaking of which I haven't had the displeasure of hearing her in quite some time which is a good sign.

She was on this 'celebrity getaway' s**te last year, where RTE sent a load of 'famous' *koff* people away on a free holiday-then filmed it, and RTE aired it opposite Corrie or Emmerdale so nobody saw it, but it's presence alone was enough to irritate you.

I think she has a podcast now. And considering how crap the RTE player is, she'll probably wring a TV show out of RTE in the future-but it'll be cheap enough to dump on the player, or drop it on RTE 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Viewing this ....I mean i know they weren't funny ...but i thought they were ...like at least somewhat ok ish ..presentable..not exactly going to make you laugh but

But i know they are 1 million billion times funnier than me ...so like i must be so so not funny ..or at least not on purpose funny

• Registered Users Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Viewing this ....I mean i know they weren't funny ...but i thought they were ...like at least somewhat ok ish ..presentable..not exactly going to make you laugh but

But i know they are 1 million billion times funnier than me ...so like i must be so so not funny ..or at least not on purpose funny

Well it's fine to be 'the funny one' in a group of friends-but when you're charging people for tickets to go see your standup, and claiming to be a comedian, and are painfully unfunny.... that's just an insult to genuinely funny comics who work their butts off to perfect their material.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

Jason Byrne. His last appearance on the Late Late show was atrocious

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,125 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Jason Byrne. His last appearance on the Late Late show was atrocious

So the same as the previous 200 then?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,591 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Surprised pat shortt got very few votes

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Surprised pat shortt got very few votes

Even more surprised at Andrew Maxwell's 5%.
    Thought he'd be a very clear winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭bcklschaps

Have to say those two female comedians linked earlier... Grainne whatever-her-name-is and Luisa Omelion are both VERY bad.

But yep Jason Byrne is pure awful....as mentioned earlier by some other poster. If there's a comedy show in Hell.... he's top of the bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

im glad in the poll you didnt consider Jarlath Regan to be a comedian. Because he aint funny, just smug and annoying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭stratowide

Was dragged to see Fred Cooke one night in Wexford st.

The worst excuse for a comedian I've ever encountered.
    His routine consisted of making funny faces and singing 'funny' songs accompanied by a guitar.

Truly awful stuff.Is he even a comedian or something else..?
    Don't see him on the list so maybe not.

The mad thing was that people were actually laughing at him.
    Couldn't understand it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

im glad in the poll you didnt consider Jarlath Regan to be a comedian. Because he aint funny, just smug and annoying.

His podcast is a pile of steaming sh*te also. Not sure what he is other than smug annoying arrogant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭mondeo

I don't know what people find so funny about Tommy Tiernan, I never laughed once at him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭smilerf

Dara o Brien is unfunny to me but I realise it's subjective

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

smilerf wrote: »
    Dara o Brien is unfunny to me but I realise it's subjective

He used to be quite good, but lately he has gotten too woke, licks the arse of Islam...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

mondeo wrote: »
    I don't know what people find so funny about Tommy Tiernan, I never laughed once at him.

Tiernan suited that era, same with Des Bishop. That look at us were Irish, aren’t we mad craic altogether, we leave the immersion on stuff doesn’t really work anymore, but at the time made sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭evil_seed

George Carlin isn't Irish.

FTFY

• Registered Users Posts: 4 dollosdog

Unfunniest Irish Comedian Ever?.
    Jason Byrne (Funny)
    Alison Spittle (Not Funny)
    Maeve Higgins (Not Funny)
    Des Bishop (Was once Funny)
    Pat Shortt (Very Funny )
    Andrew Maxwell (Funny)
    Ed Byrne (Funny)
    Dara O Briain (Funny)
    PJ Gallagher (Funny )
    Other - David McSavage (Very Funny)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

Well it's fine to be 'the funny one' in a group of friends-but when you're charging people for tickets to go see your standup, and claiming to be a comedian, and are painfully unfunny.... that's just an insult to genuinely funny comics who work their butts off to perfect their material.

Please explain how they can work their “butts” off to perfect their material without first claiming to be a comedian and asking people to come see them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

Have you read his book of short stories? Some great material in there, if you can handle surreal stuff.

To get back to the original question

Jason Byrne.
    I can handle surreal stuff perfectly well.

That's what's funny about people who defend Blindboy. You can't just be not a fan of his stuff, it's just that you don't get it maaaan.

I get it fine, it's not good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Never found Des Bishop funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,930 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Never found Des Bishop funny.

he's not

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Oh she's woeful-woeful-she disables comments and ratings on her youtube channel.
    But when she can't disable comments or ratings...massive thumbs down.

Nails on a chalkboard remixed by wailing cats would be more pleasant than her 'stand-up'...

what time is the comedian on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Des Bishop came around when being a Yank was a novelty people were interested in, especially a yank of Irish decent. He was the Yakov Smirnoff of Irish comedy. "I like American women. They do things sexually Russian girls never dream of doing - like showering." to "I know I’m American. I know George Bush is a c**t – I won’t be talking to the guy over the next two weeks so won’t be able to relay the message, he’s not a personal friend of mine.". Comedy genius..... :rolleyes:

i'm not a comedian and this is not a joke but grainne is running a 5 week comedy course

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Irish_peppa

That’s truly awful

I might sign on to her Comedy classes, not bad at 200 Squid :cool:

https://www.grainnemaguire.co.uk/comedy-writing-course

that's her funniest joke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    Please explain how they can work their “butts” off to perfect their material without first claiming to be a comedian and asking people to come see them?

“Charging people” - by doing open mics, free shows where there might be 2 in the crowd or 20 while not getting paid. It’s not a matter of getting up on stage at the 3Arena and being hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Rawr

Not sure if the €200 is to join a course by her, or possibly she's asking all of us to help give her €200 so that she can attend a comedy course by someone who's actually good at this. She's even written down all of the things that she needs to learn too, which is helpful.

Max 10 people? I guess she needs €2000 then...feels like she'll need more than that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BoroMan32

I can't comment on all the comedians in the poll, but I saw PJ Gallagher once and I'd honestly have walked over hot coals just to get out of the room. He was excruciatingly bad.

Advertisement