Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unfunny Irish comedians <<MOD note in OP>>

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Brendan Grace, woeful :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

I know one of them and he does sound like that. He's from Cahir. Used to be a massive metal head, had the hair and everything.

He's looking well these days tbh.

Tell him I hate him.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,928 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

ladies and gentlemen let me introduce you to grainne mcguire....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,292 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

ladies and gentlemen let me introduce you to grainne mcguire....

Oh she's woeful-woeful-she disables comments and ratings on her youtube channel.
    But when she can't disable comments or ratings...massive thumbs down.

Nails on a chalkboard remixed by wailing cats would be more pleasant than her 'stand-up'...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,405 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

In this country it really does seem possible to just “put yourself forward” as a comedian and the work comes to you.

Regardless of talent

And of course if you get into the Montrose Mafia then you are set for life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,676 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    No, Blindboy is definitely something of a "faux-intellectual" in my view and one who is trying very hard to impart lessons or an education upon his audience. He reminds me of an Irish Jordan Peterson, actually: Men who are mediocre talents in their own fields (Peterson: academia/intellectualism, Blindboy: comedy/music) and who have branched out into cynical self-help guruism for angry young men, styling themselves as stand-up-comedian-preacher-philosopher-kings.

The difference being that Peterson is cynical in the sense that he's seen a gap in the market and Blindboy because he thinks his audience are too stupid to think for themselves. I don't know which is worse. :(

Have you read his book of short stories? Some great material in there, if you can handle surreal stuff.

To get back to the original question

Jason Byrne.

In this country it really does seem possible to just “put yourself forward” as a comedian and the work comes to you.

Regardless of talent

And of course if you get into the Montrose Mafia then you are set for life.

Well, that and somehow gain interest in the UK. Even Al Porter was managing to do that, before...well,you know.

Tara Flynn, Jason Byrne and many others managed to get a foothold in the UK.
    Didn't matter they were unfunny, it was just a deluge of comedians who were unfunny but able to kiss butt like it was a religion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 81 ✭✭Crusty Jocks

Oh she's woeful-woeful-she disables comments and ratings on her youtube channel.

Nails on a chalkboard remixed by wailing cats would be more pleasant than her 'stand-up'...

that was very hard to watch, I haven't seen anything quite that bad. hard to recognise what the punchline is at any stage. she seems mentally unstable being honest.

that was very hard to watch, I haven't seen anything quite that bad. hard to recognise what the punchline is at any stage. she seems mentally unstable being honest.

'Woke' comedy is always courtesy of the mentally unstable. There's a comedian named Luisa Omielan, who is pretty much trying to be the British version of Amy Schumer...even down to the 'I'm sexy and gorgeous' while standing there wearing her bra, underwear, and spanx, and letting it literally all hang out.

They often have this 'society is responsible for all my bad dating decisions' nonsense too, and sort of get mad they can't find a good man.
    They have a bleak outlook to be quite honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Jason Byrne all the way. If there's comedy in hell, it'll be of the wacky/zany/madcap variety.

• Advertisement

That is the worst thing I've ever seen. I'm embarrassed to be alive.

That is the worst thing I've ever seen. I'm embarrassed to be alive.

You gotta be more specific-Grainne or Luisa?

Luisa.

Just complete nonsense. I don't believe anything she said actually happened. And it's not funny either.

Luisa.

Just complete nonsense. I don't believe anything she said actually happened. And it's not funny either.

I gave her a shot... decided to sit thru her two 'comedy' specials...
    (She released em both to youtube).

They were painful, really painful. Not Hannah Gadsby 'I'm going to charge you to hear me rant for an hour' painful, but more...mentally unwell painful. Like, she discusses her depression problems, for one. And I kind of think she's putting a plaster on the problem, since she's off of her meds.

Jarlath Regan is a godfather of Irish comedy now according to the laughter lounge

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

TOMMY TIERNAN :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭George White

It's like primary school footage unearthed to embarrass a grown up comedian on a mid evening talk show.

When I saw her on a show, I turned to my mum and said,"She's to my generation what Twink was to yours." Millennial Twink.
    She has that problem Jon Culshaw and Rory Bremner (IMO) had, which is that their voice still sounds the same no matter what character/impression.

When I saw her on a show, I turned to my mum and said,"She's to my generation what Twink was to yours." Millennial Twink.
    She has that problem Jon Culshaw and Rory Bremner (IMO) had, which is that their voice still sounds the same no matter what character/impression.

Trying to find the original post, but unable to.

Who are you talking about here? Not mocking you, just unable to find the original post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

Who are you talking about here? Not mocking you, just unable to find the original post.

click on the blue arrow to the right of the username in the quoted post

click on the blue arrow to the right of the username in the quoted post

Ah, thank you very much.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

That’s truly awful

That’s truly awful

If you check out her twitter... not just her comedy... she comes across as extremely psychologically unwell.

The other stuff she does is typical 'white woman feminist'... as in the 'I speak for all races, because they can't speak for themselves'...

Meanwhile every person of colour is looking at her like 'what the actual f**k is wrong with you?'.

That’s truly awful

i accidentally saw her once, great support act in fairness from a headliners perspective because things can only get better!

seriously though it was awful

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Presume it's that Garrity one?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I dunno ..who am I to judge ..its not like I could be funnier!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

What is it with people who are desperately UNFUNNY making lucrative careers in comedy in Ireland?. As far as I'm concerned the list here is endless from comedians who incessantly laugh at their own rambling barely coherent unfunny stories (Tommy Tiernan) to those that have humour for 2 year olds (Jason Byrne) to those that see themselves as edgy and sharp whilst simultaneously sucking on the teets of crap RTE shows (think anyone who's ever been on Republic of Telly) or worse the god awful Des Bishop. Incessantly speaking condescendingly about Irish people only for them to lap it up and think he's profound and funny for speaking about Ireland with contempt as if we were backwater primitive slobs.

It seems crap Irish comedians are 10 a penny now. All being 'edgy' sometimes getting up on their pedestal and preaching after being funny perhaps once (think Rubberbandits). It seems comedians are abundant but bereft of talent here. I suppose what I'm getting at is it has been so dumbed down comedy, these chancers know they don't need wit, or timing, or impeccable delivery or even to be funny. Just to get on some RTE show is good enough and then read out rubbish topical jokes they wrote several days in advance whilst simultaneously letting on it's on the spot.

Before anyone says I don't have a sense of humour I love comedy. Comedians I like well George Carlin is one of the greats, nowadays, Steve Hughes is amazing, Rich Hall is great, Greg Morton always cracks me up, Stewart Lee's dry humour is impeccably timed and Romesh Ranganathan is worth a mention.

Can I think of a single Irish comedian now who can lace their boots?. Nope, won't stop them getting a crap intelligence insulting comedy (Bridget and Eamon/Damo and Ivor etc) or guest spot on some awful panel show with scripted jokes and toilet humour.

Christ we gave the World Oscar Wilde for God's sake!.
    Go a ****ing way

George Carlin isn't funny.

Cant argue with a near 30% voting on Spittle out of ten candidates. Speaking of which I haven't had the displeasure of hearing her in quite some time which is a good sign.

Cant argue with a near 30% voting on Spittle out of ten candidates. Speaking of which I haven't had the displeasure of hearing her in quite some time which is a good sign.
    her content is good ..its her delivery

• Advertisement

her content is good ..its her delivery

nothing is good, absolutely zero. she is horrific.

there are a good number of votes there to say as much. enough said.

Advertisement