Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calf price chitchat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭visatorro

Mortelaro wrote:
    Carnew was terrible today About a quarter those prices 9 buyers offering sh1te prices Brought mine home Wont be back in a hurry

How did mart operate with new restrictions?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,205 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

visatorro wrote: »

Not very well obviously :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Was looking at BB and CH heifer calves this evening on a neighbours dairy farm.

They’re 4 weeks old and fairly square stock. He’s well set up and they’re looking well - plenty straw under everything in the place, eating meal, picking away at hay.

I’m looking for 20-ish, in 2 batches - 10 now and another 10 in a fortnight’s time.

What kinda cash would you offer him?

If their good calves, I think 200 would be fair on both parties, while you might pick them up here and the cheaper, he would have got 250-300 if it wasn't for the lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,230 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

If their good calves, I think 200 would be fair on both parties, while you might pick them up here and the cheaper, he would have got 250-300 if it wasn't for the lockdown.

Beef is down to 3.5/kg base. A 330kg DW heifer grading R= will make 1220 at slaughter. That leaves 1k to cover costs and margin for two years work

Slava Ukrainii

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

visatorro wrote: »

You dropped the calves up and left
    Only the buyers were there
    Very badly organised calves taken by the buyer at his price and you weren't told!
    Noone rung!
    Mine were on the way to the north
    Very vexed I ordered them back and collected them
    Total joke

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Beef is down to 3.5/kg base. A 330kg DW heifer grading R= will make 1220 at slaughter. That leaves 1k to cover costs and margin for two years work

Thanks for the replies. Wouldn’t leave a huge margin (does anything?) but I’d be OK with those figures.

I’ll give him a shout for a chat on it tomorrow

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

Same crack here now in Enniscorthy mart
    Shipper offering 90 euros for the best of Angus heifers and bull calves,a whole pen beside us
    We haggled him up to 120 but are bringing them home
    Its a joke

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Shipper offering 90 euros for the best of Angus heifers and bull calves,a whole pen beside us
    Its a joke

With the new 120 day rule some lads may hold, could force exporters up a bit. Not likely to happen down here in west cork tho

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

Its a joke

What town will you head for tomorrow and will it be any better? Trucking them around the country costs money and although the price isn't great I can't see why cattle prices in general will improve in the short term. It's none of my business but usually when lads show cattle they want to sell them and it's definitely a buyer's market atm.

The decision is yours but I'd start to think long and hard about what's staying or going from round the yard regardless of what looks a good or bad price because the outlook isn't great in my eyes anyway. Before anyone mentions it I neither buy or sell suck calves so have no skin in the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭liosnagceann75

Sold Aax heifers €200 and Aax bulls €250 out of the yard yesterday and today. Local agent organised 2 buyers to call and see them. Best prices I got in the mart this year was €230 for heifers and €295 for bulls. I don't like selling out of the yard but I'm happy enough with the prices. Good strong calves 3 - 5 weeks

• Advertisement

What town will you head for tomorrow and will it be any better? Trucking them around the country costs money and although the price isn't great I can't see why cattle prices in general will improve in the short term. It's none of my business but usually when lads show cattle they want to sell them and it's definitely a buyer's market atm.

The decision is yours but I'd start to think long and hard about what's staying or going from round the yard regardless of what looks a good or bad price because the outlook isn't great in my eyes anyway. Before anyone mentions it I neither buy or sell suck calves so have no skin in the game.

Oh I agree
    This was a different set of calves to yesterday
    It was always planned to do both to see what the situation was
    No other way of knowing
    Looks like its cattle and dairy farming for me until this crisis is over
    No point giving them away for others

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

Oh I agree
    This was a different set of calves to yesterday
    It was always planned to do both to see what the situation was
    No other way of knowing
    Looks like its cattle and dairy farming for me until this crisis is over
    No point giving them away for others

Perhaps my first post came across as harsh and I meant it more as a pause for thought rather than recommending selling at any price just to get them gone. If your in a position to rear the calves without over stretching your resources then it's definitely an option. However if you need to sell for whatever reason then today would probably be better than tomorrow imo.

I'm not saying that it's the end of the world regards cattle farming but as above I don't see any great light on the horizon in the short term. This is just my own personal thoughts based on all the apparent problems facing the sector currently. In short if you think you can weather the storm in the medium term then hold out but if you need to sell I'd be advising to start making decisions sooner rather than later.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yewtree

Sold calves this week to a neighbour. All Hereford calves, herd here has a good bit of jersey in it.
    €85 for heifers and €110 bulls, AI bred, 10-18 days old. I hope he has a turn out of them. Cant see any margin in keeping them on the farm for any longer.

Calf jobbers had the run of New Ross as well today apparently.

BB heifer calves went from €120-220 depending on age and condition

• Registered Users Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Calf jobbers had the run of New Ross as well today apparently.

BB heifer calves went from €120-220 depending on age and condition
    If that’s the run of it
    Time to find farmer customers and sell out of the yard
    No point paying commission and deal with that

Perhaps my first post came across as harsh and I meant it more as a pause for thought rather than recommending selling at any price just to get them gone. If your in a position to rear the calves without over stretching your resources then it's definitely an option. However if you need to sell for whatever reason then today would probably be better than tomorrow imo.

I'm not saying that it's the end of the world regards cattle farming but as above I don't see any great light on the horizon in the short term. This is just my own personal thoughts based on all the apparent problems facing the sector currently. In short if you think you can weather the storm in the medium term then hold out but if you need to sell I'd be advising to start making decisions sooner rather than later.
    Yeah doing the maths, I'd have the resources to run them alright and I'm already starting out 40 to 80 euros a head ahead of the jobber that was buying today and yesterday and 200 + per calf ahead of the lad buying the same 2 weeks ago,is my logic if you follow?
    It's not a huge number in my case,and surely marts will be back in full by next spring? Otherwise we are all royally fucked

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

Neighbour got €300 for serious hex bull calves & €270 for heifers from Gortatlea.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭3 the square

DukeCaboom wrote: »
    Neighbour got €300 for serious hex bull calves & €270 for heifers from Gortatlea.

How did they manage the sale with the new arrangement ??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭alps

What system of selling have they.

He calls out, buys the calves and u drop them to the mart.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭cute geoge

I would presume 6 week old calves

cute geoge wrote: »
    I would presume 6 week old calves

A good six weeks..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭alps

He calls out, buys the calves and u drop them to the mart.

Excellent...

It means you can say no at home, rather than having to return to a mart after saying no..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

any prices for
    Hex and AAx calves bulls and heifers
    2-3 weeks old
    a neighbour got a few to put on milky cows in a hurry
    but we never agreed price

dar31 wrote: »
    any prices for
    Hex and AAx calves bulls and heifers
    2-3 weeks old
    a neighbour got a few to put on milky cows in a hurry
    but we never agreed price

If it’s any use to you, I paid €80 for 3-4 week old AAx heifers last week

• Registered Users Posts: 29,205 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

If it’s any use to you, I paid €80 for 3-4 week old AAx heifers last week

Getting 80 for aa heifers and 100 for aa bulls all over 2 weeks. Other people probably getting more but that's life

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

200 for he bulls and 150 he heifers, 4/5wks old outa the yard to the local dealer who you prb know well dar ha.

Do many on here vaccinate calves for coccidiosis?

Is it expensive per calf?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭older by the day

105 for 2wk old as bulls, for export. Are they exporting heifers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,226 ✭✭✭tanko

Do many on here vaccinate calves for coccidiosis?

Is it expensive per calf?

I think Vecoxan works out at about €6 per three week old calf.
    Haven't been doing mine this year as have been letting them out at about 10 days old, too soon at that age.
    Hopefully with the dry weather there won't be as much coccidiosis about, time will tell.

Advertisement