Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calf price chitchat

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

• Registered Users Posts: 3,248 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

Cavanjack wrote: »
    What weight and age you selling them at?

There’s no sale for calves from January to May. The only reason I got to sell a few is fear of disruption of livestock transport.

Normally we try and sell at 15days, but often keep them until 30days to put a back on them. The weight varies from 70kg to 45kg at birth. Twins would be lighter.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,131 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

8 friesian bulls 40 euro. Glad they are gone

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Praise the Lord clear of tb finally. Got 100 off calves knocking about the place here, mix of everything from good HEs and BBs to jex bull calves, what's my best bet for them?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Timmaay wrote: »
    Praise the Lord clear of tb finally. Got 100 off calves knocking about the place here, mix of everything from good HEs and BBs to jex bull calves, what's my best bet for them?

Out the gap whatever way you can and think no more about them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,697 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Timmaay wrote: »

Don't give them away. Mart is the right job. You'll get their value there.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

whelan2 wrote: »

At home or mart?

You're lucky to be rid of them the way thing are going

Timmay you'll need to act fast if you are going to sell them

A nationwide lockdown is rapidly approaching and i would say that marts will be closed following that

Panch18 wrote: »
    At home or mart?

You're lucky to be rid of them the way thing are going

Dealer took them. Will take more next week.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,052 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Thats debatable now .heard today you have to sign a.form now to say thats it you take the price for.calves .second hand news so i could be wrong

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,369 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

A nationwide lockdown is rapidly approaching and i would say that marts will be closed following that

What's your definition of a national lockdown

Reggie. wrote: »
    What's your definition of a national lockdown

Similar to what they have in France

Similar to what they have in France

Which is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Which is?

Permits required to go to the shop. To the vet. To leave the farm at all for any purpose.

As Dawg put it
    I feel obliged to inform you on the state of play here.

The **** has hit the fan.
    They waited too long to go total lockdown and now things are quickly deteriorating.
    Just this morning I’ve a puncture that won’t be repaired, a pulsation problem in the milking machine, a bust hydraulic pipe, and need antibiotics for eye problems in a few cows...and the hassle involved to get it sorted. I’ll get the antibiotics this evening but the other problems will have to wait...until God knows when.

I’ve been ringing relatives and friends to tell them how bad this is going to get, and to isolate immediately.

Permits required to go to the shop. To the vet. To leave the farm at all for any purpose.

As Dawg put it

This country will never go like that as we have no way to enforce it. The likes of spain, france and the likes have huge police forces along with local militias. No way you could do that here. If the country was to do that it would stall completely. The government barely had the power to close the pubs

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭orm0nd

2 different mart managers rang me today looking for store cattle for customers.

1 is a mart I do very little business with and he rang about 15 minutes after the other guy.

I think there is something about to happen OK

This country will never go like that as we have no way to enforce it. The likes of spain, france and the likes have huge police forces along with local militias. No way you could do that here. If the country was to do that it would stall completely. The government barely had the power to close the pubs

Logic would dictate that there will be a total shut down in Ireland at some stage. All of the signs point towards that. We have been building towards it for a while now

Alot of European countries are going to go full lock down at some stage over the next month, we’ll be no different

Logic would dictate that there will be a total shut down in Ireland at some stage. All of the signs point towards that. We have been building towards it for a while now

Alot of European countries are going to go full lock down at some stage over the next month, we’ll be no different
    How will the country work then? Milk has to be collected... slurry tanks have to be emptied...vets are needed... fuel has to be delivered....meal has to be delivered.

The likes of Marts and stuff being closed isn't a full lockdown

It was in the news snippets this morning that the government stated that the building trade will not be closed under any circumstances

How will the country work then? Milk has to be collected... slurry tanks have to be emptied...vets are needed... fuel has to be delivered....meal has to be delivered.

The likes of Marts and stuff being closed isn't a full lockdown

It was in the news snippets this morning that the government stated that the building trade will not be closed under any circumstances

How does it work in Italy, Spain, France and I see there now that Baveria is locking down

How does it work in Italy, Spain, France and I see there now that Baveria is locking down

All work that cant be done at home is allowed so all I mentioned above is still moving. You can still go outside for a walk and exercise. If you need to go anywhere you print off a form, fill it in and have it on your person.

Lockdown mainly means you cant leave or enter the country in question.

People believe that a lockdown is imprisonment in your home. That's not the case at all. Theres way too much scare mongering and half truths being spread.

https://www.france24.com/en/20200317-france-s-coronavirus-lockdown-what-you-can-and-can-t-do

Also 51% of the cases are in dublin city which is a tiny area compared to the rest of the country which has 49% of the cases

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

orm0nd wrote: »
    2 different mart managers rang me today looking for store cattle for customers.

1 is a mart I do very little business with and he rang about 15 minutes after the other guy.

I think there is something about to happen OK

What do you think it’s a sign of? Marts closing??

All work that cant be done at home is allowed so all I mentioned above is still moving. You can still go outside for a walk and exercise. If you need to go anywhere you print off a form, fill it in and have it on your person.

Lockdown mainly means you cant leave or enter the country in question.

People believe that a lockdown is imprisonment in your home. That's not the case at all. Theres way too much scare mongering and half truths being spread.

https://www.france24.com/en/20200317-france-s-coronavirus-lockdown-what-you-can-and-can-t-do

Also 51% of the cases are in dublin city which is a tiny area compared to the rest of the country which has 49% of the cases

There is nothing scare mongering about saying that Ireland will be going into lockdown, there is a very strong chance it will happen

If it does then it will mean that all non essential travel will not be allowed, if we follow those other countries then there will be fines handed out if your not out for essential reasons. Food shops and pharmacy will only allow a few people in at a time etc etc

Everyone should be expecting a further escalation of measures in Ireland over the next few days

This is only my opinion, I have no inside information or anything like that, just reading it as I see it

I hope I’m totally wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 21,142 ✭✭✭✭Water John

In effect we're in the middle of a massive, infection experiment. We have exercised a certain level, called social distancing. The impact, in about 10/11 days, along with the testing time lag, two weeks in total, will be watched carefully to see does it lower the infection rate enough.
    That at present is around 30%. Dr Tony Holohan today said he'd be quite pleased if that went down to 15%.

There is nothing scare mongering about saying that Ireland will be going into lockdown, there is a very strong chance it will happen

If it does then it will mean that all non essential travel will not be allowed, if we follow those other countries then there will be fines handed out if your not out for essential reasons. Food shops and pharmacy will only allow a few people in at a time etc etc

Everyone should be expecting a further escalation of measures in Ireland over the next few days

This is only my opinion, I have no inside information or anything like that, just reading it as I see it

I hope I’m totally wrong
    The simple fact we are already in a lockdown. There was plenty of stupid things on social media lately which was pure scare mongering

The simple fact we are already in a lockdown. There was plenty of stupid things on social media lately which was pure scare mongering

This is about as much social media as I do

There was strong legislation passed over the last couple of days giving the government strong powers to keep people at home

They’ve done that for a reason

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

whelan2 wrote: »

Sounds dear, I'm told that you'd be lucky to get €18 more like €1/head for fr bulls. What age were they? BTW I'm also selling :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭alps

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    Sounds dear, I'm told that you'd be lucky to get €18 more like €1/head for fr bulls. What age were they? BTW I'm also selling :(

60 to 70 from shippers in your area this week..

Dakota Dan wrote: »

Youngest was 18 days upto 5 weeks. Dealer wasn't going this last couple of weeks. Have to be 50 kg. I am not going to go to the mart until covid thing is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭mengele

When you put calves up for sale on done deal with a reasonable price are they easy sold or do you get the world of time wasters offering half of what you asked?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,188 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

mengele wrote: »
    When you put calves up for sale on done deal with a reasonable price are they easy sold or do you get the world of time wasters offering half of what you asked?

Its a while since I bough calves but in general I found sellers expect a premium price especially for Hereford or Continental calves. In general unless you are selling export type calves most lads buying in will be farmers over the next few weeks.

Looking at the Journal this week on page 57 there are six calves. There are two FR a flaking 5-6 week old calf made 50 euro and Ho calf 10 day younger made 90. Two SH about 6 weeks old( did not look well done made but could be in the mart a while one looks a good calf) made 50 each. A pair of AA calves made 165 4 weeks old while a HE calf 3 weeks old( looks a good calf made 60. Finally a BB bull a month old made 250.

If your prices are fair accross the board you will get a buyer. Looking at the calves above the WH, the 50 euro Fr were good value and maybe the SH's. The AA would want to be good calves but had age on there side like the SH's.

Generally on DD I find if you price righ you will sell> but most lads selling want top mart prices and in a down turn they want top prices that were there 6-8 weeks ago.

Slava Ukrainii

Advertisement