Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calf price chitchat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭atlantic mist

sold throu ross
    300 bb bull *1
    180 lm heifer *3
    200 lm bull *2

sold private
    70 fr bull *15

export price after crashing to 50

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

tanko wrote: »
    I think Vecoxan works out at about €6 per three week old calf.
    Haven't been doing mine this year as have been letting them out at about 10 days old, too soon at that age.
    Hopefully with the dry weather there won't be as much coccidiosis about, time will tell.

Thanks for that.

I gave Vecoxan to lambs before - it’s a drench, isn’t it? Or does it come in injection form for vaccines?

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 9,231 ✭✭✭tanko

Thanks for that.

I gave Vecoxan to lambs before - it’s a drench, isn’t it? Or does it come in injection form for vaccines?

Yeah, it's a dose down the throat. Don't think it comes in injection form.
    I wouldn't call it a vaccine. If you give it to calves at least three weeks old it's a good help to preventing coccidiosis.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

BBx males €350.
    BBx females €280.

Chx males €350.
    Chx females €300.

Limx males €285.
    Limx females €190.

Hol males €100-130.

All calves 15-18 days. Sold to local veal sheds. Looking like local veal producers are finally willing to commit to local calf producers...
    I’ve a feeling that this virus is showing the importance of local product because of the unreliability of distribution chains?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

Sold a few yesterday in yard,
    Hex bull €220
    Hex heifer €80 (small)
    Fr bull €60
    Ch bull €200 - plain enough type
    Bb bull €350
    Bb heifer €200

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

simx wrote: »
    Sold a few yesterday in yard,
    Hex bull €220
    Hex heifer €80 (small)
    Fr bull €60
    Ch bull €200 - plain enough type
    Bb bull €350
    Bb heifer €200

What ages were they?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭visatorro

All calves 15-18 days. Sold to local veal sheds. Looking like local veal producers are finally willing to commit to local calf producers... I’ve a feeling that this virus is showing the importance of local product because of the unreliability of distribution chains?

Local dealer said Holland not taking any more calves for veal as they can't sell the veal. Alot of coloured calves going to Poland apparently. Larry can sent them back in a couple of years!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭visatorro

All calves 15-18 days. Sold to local veal sheds. Looking like local veal producers are finally willing to commit to local calf producers... I’ve a feeling that this virus is showing the importance of local product because of the unreliability of distribution chains?

Local dealer said Holland not taking any more calves for veal as they can't sell the veal. Alot of coloured calves going to Poland apparently. Larry can sent them back in a couple of years!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭nhg

tanko wrote: »
    Yeah, it's a dose down the throat. Don't think it comes in injection form.
    I wouldn't call it a vaccine. If you give it to calves at least three weeks old it's a good help to preventing coccidiosis.

We give 30ml to calves when they are getting the blackleg & Bovipast RSP booster prior to being let out.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭liosnagceann75

Sold Aax bulls and Aax heifers to a dealer out of the yard on Monday. I normally sell in the mart but a local man put this dealer onto me. Anyway we agreed a price and I was told they would probably be collected tomorrow Thursday. I haven't heard anything since and have received no herd number to do the movement online.

How long do people here give buyers to collect calves? If their collected tomorrow than that's fine but I would have a problem feeding them into the weekend or early next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,239 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Sold Aax bulls and Aax heifers to a dealer out of the yard on Monday. I normally sell in the mart but a local man put this dealer onto me. Anyway we agreed a price and I was told they would probably be collected tomorrow Thursday. I haven't heard anything since and have received no herd number to do the movement online. You wont need a herd number if they are going for export

How long do people here give buyers to collect calves? If their collected tomorrow than that's fine but I would have a problem feeding them into the weekend or early next week.

Ring him and say you have someone else interested in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Sold Aax bulls and Aax heifers to a dealer out of the yard on Monday. I normally sell in the mart but a local man put this dealer onto me. Anyway we agreed a price and I was told they would probably be collected tomorrow Thursday. I haven't heard anything since and have received no herd number to do the movement online.

Charge him €4-5 a head per day and if he kicks let him off, he's pulling the piss. If hes just a messer he'll pay up and if he doesn't want to and gets cranky you're better off not dealing with him. Get them advertised tomorrow on DD and if they're genuine good calves you'll have a plenty buyers. I put up an add two weeks ago, took it down after two days. All genuine straight calls, no bother dealing with people, and I could have sold twice as many calves as I had.

Charge him €4-5 a head per day and if he kicks let him off, he's pulling the piss. If hes just a messer he'll pay up and if he doesn't want to and gets cranky you're better off not dealing with him. Get them advertised tomorrow on DD and if they're genuine good calves you'll have a plenty buyers. I put up an add two weeks ago, took it down after two days. All genuine straight calls, no bother dealing with people, and I could have sold twice as many calves as I had.

Thanks for the advice. Their being collected this morning (Friday). I didn't appreciate the dealers attitude when he came to buy them. It was like a case of take it or leave it. When I dug my heels in on the price he was all kind of antics like he didn't have all day to be haggling over the price. I bit my tongue to be honest as I can be a bit fiery when I get going.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,388 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Thanks for the advice. Their being collected this morning (Friday). I didn't appreciate the dealers attitude when he came to buy them. It was like a case of take it or leave it. When I dug my heels in on the price he was all kind of antics like he didn't have all day to be haggling over the price. I bit my tongue to be honest as I can be a bit fiery when I get going.

I would have shown him the gate

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Reggie. wrote: »
    I would have shown him the gate

I'd have done the same - albeit politely.

Hard to deal with anyone where you're not able to get on with them.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

In fairness to Lios, there was a deal done and it should be honoured where possible. Also when you've calves sold you don't want to be starting fresh again.
    I dislike dealers, too much ****e follwing them, both ways, and they don't really care. It's a pleasure dealing with farmers who'll be minding the calves themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I always try very hard to get on with lads bringing me money:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

Right lot of calves in Carnaross today for their on line sale, it was a good trade last week.
    https://www.livestock-live.com/MartMemberAccess/Market/MartCatalogue?Mart=M186&op=list

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

What were they making ? Fcukall last week in bandon. Had a couple made 100 and then majority at 50 and they were not all that much smaller than the 100 euro calves. One was a monster off a fleckveih. The fcuking cow is still in shackles after him. AA and HE. A fr in with them made 100 then

Mooooo wrote: »
    What were they making ? Fcukall last week in bandon. Had a couple made 100 and then majority at 50 and they were not all that much smaller than the 100 euro calves. One was a monster off a fleckveih. The fcuking cow is still in shackles after him. AA and HE. A fr in with them made 100 then

Are the fleckveih too hard on dairy cows?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,239 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

In fairness to Lios, there was a deal done and it should be honoured where possible. Also when you've calves sold you don't want to be starting fresh again.
    I dislike dealers, too much ****e follwing them, both ways, and they don't really care. It's a pleasure dealing with farmers who'll be minding the calves themselves.

I was using a dealer last year. Hed do a deal. Say he would collect them let's say Thursday evening. Now I'd have football and would leave the calves and cards out for him, no show, not answering the phone. Not just once this happened. A text to say hes not coming wouldn't kill him. Dont deal with him anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 6,519 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Their a disaster in every way, had to cull 4 fleck cross heifers here stone mad in parlor, coupled with mastitis cases running at 40% in them compared with 5% in their Holstein counterparts, aren’t particularly hard calved but the calves are dopey and very hard trained to feeders....
    Sold all my maiden x fleck heifers to a beef man on the back of how the 1st batch of them turned out

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Go over time so harder calving on cow's. The cow above that had a large aa calf is a first cross and I guess it was her genetics put the calf over time. Have 5 milking and there fine but have fr out performing them on solids and volume that won't end up so big at mature weights. Also none of their calves made much more than the fr calves as they were black and white anyway, one had a whitehead but was down as a frx on the card

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭older by the day

Going ai next week. Il serve the good ones with holtein/fresin. But I'm thinking of what beef to use on the other middling cows. I use dovea as he's a friend. I had a lovely blue off Norton jaguar but he's over 6%calving diff. I have two AA for cleaning up. salers, aubrac, something to cover the milk and the ai call? What beef ai are you using? Calving ease and added value ??

Not all rosy in the garden dowm in the good land so, ye seem to get an awful screwing in calf prices. I suppose wed get a lot of the Midlands farmers and dealers able to travel hereabouts in under 2 hours.

Not all rosy in the garden dowm in the good land so, ye seem to get an awful screwing in calf prices. I suppose wed get a lot of the Midlands farmers and dealers able to travel hereabouts in under 2 hours.
    You obviously don't know some of the land here in west cork, it's not so much good land but good farmers. Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

FR were making anything from €30 - €135 general run was around €80
    AAX €100 - €285 general run in around €190.
    HEX €150 - €300 generally in around €250
    BBX €165 - €440 generally in around €280

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭davidk1394

I gave €100 a head on AA x MO heifer calves. I bought 8, 3 to 4 weeks old

Anto_Meath wrote: »
    FR were making anything from €30 - €135 general run was around €80
    AAX €100 - €285 general run in around €190.
    HEX €150 - €300 generally in around €250
    BBX €165 - €440 generally in around €280

Jayus I'm battling to get 130 for Angus bulls 3 wks old out of British fresian cow down here .

• Advertisement

You obviously don't know some of the land here in west cork, it's not so much good land but good farmers. Lol

Not much poor land with big herds of within close range of Bandon mart. I know real West Cork fairly well.

Advertisement