Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calf price chitchat

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Not much poor land with big herds of within close range of Bandon mart. I know real West Cork fairly well.

Bandon s great land but go west abit and you into some fair s##t of land and thats where alot of bandon calves come from.hd bulls 110 heifers 70 to 80 here. Fr bulls were 20 e when you could get them moved.little or no local buyers now in west cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,153 ✭✭✭visatorro

jaymla627 wrote:
    Their a disaster in every way, had to cull 4 fleck cross heifers here stone mad in parlor, coupled with mastitis cases running at 40% in them compared with 5% in their Holstein counterparts, aren’t particularly hard calved but the calves are dopey and very hard trained to feeders.... Sold all my maiden x fleck heifers to a beef man on the back of how the 1st batch of them turned out

There is a big push to use fleck now. Bit like montys years ago. Going for big money too. Dunno maybe in ten year's if they are still about!

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭ted_182

visatorro wrote: »
    There is a big push to use fleck now. Bit like montys years ago. Going for big money too. Dunno maybe in ten year's if they are still about!

Uncles tells one about a chap in the area talking about the the montys, 'theyd destroy a good herd' was the jist of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

ted_182 wrote: »
    Uncles tells one about a chap in the area talking about the the montys, 'theyd destroy a good herd' was the jist of it.

I know two lads that still use them and are/were delighted with them. Two very standard operations too. The Fleckvieh always had he reputation for having fertility, production, and functional issues.
    Don't mean to digress too much, sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,189 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I was watching online calf sales over the last few weeks and surprised that there was no mention of the dam/mother's breeding on the sale information board.

I thought the reason that DAFM included the dam's breeding on the blue card (from Jan 2020) was to inform potential buyers. I would have thought that the marts should have included that information considering that some have adapted to online sales due to the pandemic.
    https://www.independent.ie/business/farming/news/farming-news/dam-data-to-be-made-available-on-mart-display-boards-38886457.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,189 ✭✭✭✭Base price

As an aside - is there a mandatory rule/regulation about showing all the data on the blue card for calves/cattle sold through a mart?
    We buy most of our FR/FRx/HEx/AAx bull calves from the same dairy farmers every year. Some of them have converted to using JE/Kiwi semen but we can see their dam's breeding on the blue card on a farm to farm movement iykwim.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

Chx males €330-380.
    Females €240-280.

Bbx males €300-345.
    Females €200-215.

Lmx males €230-260.
    Females €160-180.

All 15-23 days old. Not for export, all for local veal houses.
    Prices are + vat.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,265 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Good demand for calves out of the yard at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭mayota

whelan2 wrote: »

Plenty people at home to rear them.

mayota wrote: »
    Plenty people at home to rear them.

Lad down the road has bought over 100 calves in the last few weeks from a few local farmers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Any idea on prices for angus heifers and bulls?

I'm getting 100 euro at 10 days old for aa bulls and heifers. Some are small heifers calves.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

I'm getting 100 euro at 10 days old for aa bulls and heifers. Some are small heifers calves.

I had a dealer here the other day looking at calves. Said 50 for heifers and 100 for bulls. Half of them are over 4 weeks old.
    Said no demand for angus heifers for export.

Think I'll try else where

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭older by the day

130 for 3 to 4 wk old bulls,heifers. Nice square lads. Got a 100 for 14days old for export two weeks ago. Try an add on done deal. See who's looking

I had a dealer here the other day looking at calves. Said 50 for heifers and 100 for bulls. Half of them are over 4 weeks old.
    Said no demand for angus heifers for export.

Think I'll try else where

The lad that's taking my calves isnt a dealer and will take them all. At 4 weeks old he was taking the piss. The only thing holding up movements here is the bvd results

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Anyone else hwar that hd reds are more sought after than blacks.long ago when we were selling stores the blacks were more valuable as it was thought they had less fat

• Registered Users Posts: 18,278 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

K.G. wrote: »
    Anyone else hwar that hd reds are more sought after than blacks.long ago when we were selling stores the blacks were more valuable as it was thought they had less fat

Lads must want them for the front of the house. Having said that most reds would flesh easier. There may be another reason they may sell better at 12-18 months as lads may think they are suckler bred stock.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭3 the square

Sold 3 fr bulls 100 each
    2 he heifers strong calves 170 each
    2 he heifers handy enough 140 each
    Happy enough

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭deise toffee

How much would 3-4 week old Hex calves off Holstein cows be worth? 3-4 weeks old?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭cute geoge

I got €200 for nice hex bulls about 6 weeks old a fortnight ago ,the farmer said he would be back the next week for more and have not seen him since!!!! Is it possible to log on to any of the online sales as i have to move on some share of them anyway but meet no one who can give me prices

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭trg

cute geoge wrote: »
    I got €200 for nice hex bulls about 6 weeks old a fortnight ago ,the farmer said he would be back the next week for more and have not seen him since!!!! Is it possible to log on to any of the online sales as i have to move on some share of them anyway but meet no one who can give me prices
    Where are you based?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,624 ✭✭✭straight

Sold 3 fr bulls 100 each
    2 he heifers strong calves 170 each
    2 he heifers handy enough 140 each
    Happy enough

How old were they? They cost you 30 euro per week I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭liosnagceann75

Neighbor calling tonight for an aax heifer calf 12 days old. What should I ask him? Handy calf off a British Friesian

Neighbor calling tonight for an aax heifer calf 12 days old. What should I ask him? Handy calf off a British Friesian

80 to 100

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭CHOPS01

I'll probably regret it but calling to a lad tomorrow to pick up a few calves. Young lad was plaguing me to get him a horse if you don't mind. So now we're onto calves.
    1 neighbour is locked up and another lad is sold out. Thet put me onto a lad with limos. What would I be looking at for bulls. Hasn't be calves off milking cows here since the mid 90s.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

CHOPS01 wrote: »
    I'll probably regret it but calling to a lad tomorrow to pick up a few calves. Young lad was plaguing me to get him a horse if you don't mind. So now we're onto calves.
    1 neighbour is locked up and another lad is sold out. Thet put me onto a lad with limos. What would I be looking at for bulls. Hasn't be calves off milking cows here since the mid 90s.

Up and down from 200 depending on age and quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭jimini0

I have 2 limos here for the kids. I paid 220 each for 21 days old. He delivered them too. I put a water heater in the shed. They mix up the powder and into the teat feeders. Have a small field beside the shed they go out in during the day and in on straw at night. Great way to entertain the kids while they off school.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭kerryjack

jimini0 wrote: »
    I have 2 limos here for the kids. I paid 220 each for 21 days old. He delivered them too. I put a water heater in the shed. They mix up the powder and into the teat feeders. Have a small field beside the shed they go out in during the day and in on straw at night. Great way to entertain the kids while they off school.

That's the way to do it, people wonder than when a lad turns 17 and 18 have no interest in farming its because they weren't encouraged, good on you that's great to encourage kids and farming and animal husbandry.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭CHOPS01

jimini0 wrote: »

These lads are 10 to 14 days old so was thinking bout €180 to €200 alright.
    That's the perfect set up you have. I'm just hoping the 2 kids will see it out so that I don't end up with all the work of rearing them.
    But hopefully like your lads it will be something to get me out of the house.
    I'll be asking plenty of questions on rearing calves in the coming weeks !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭jimini0

These lads are 10 to 14 days old so was thinking bout €180 to €200 alright.
    That's the perfect set up you have. I'm just hoping the 2 kids will see it out so that I don't end up with all the work of rearing them.
    But hopefully like your lads it will be something to get me out of the house.
    I'll be asking plenty of questions on rearing calves in the coming weeks !
    As the man told me clean bed clean health.

My only problem i have is them sucking each other after the milk. I put Stockholm tar on them they must like the taste of that. Now they are a black sticky mess. I added a litre of water to the feeder after the milk thinking that might fill them up. Still at it.

Advertisement