Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much is this all going to cost and who will pay for it ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,636 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Nah, you really want all unions gone, just admit it. You can't touch the frontline staff, right now, but you do favour it, just admit it. You love Denis, he does nothing for his country, but that's ok because he's a boogeyman (sic) for the loony left. You love Michael but sure he's broke now so can't help anyone.

How about looking to any one of Ireland's other billionaires for few quid rather than put the hurt on the usual suspects, because 'the unions'.

Sure the market will always sort it. The market sorts everything . The same fools sitting in beds in the mater now or at Vincent's were the same people last year wanting to privatise everything. Fools and their greed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Reign in social welfare when people just outa jobs are in need FFS.
    Reign in your faux outrage there teddy.
    The other posters knew that I was not including the 700+K who lost their jobs in the last few weeks. I was obviously talking about the €21.1 billion that we paying to the social welfare budget this year prior to Covid-19. It is an astronomical amount for a small country, and it needs to be re-adjusted due to the economic calamity that we are now in.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

I am no left winger but they better not try and charge us a cent for this

They pulled the stunt of "you all partied" in 2008 which stunted a whole section to not revolt because we "partied" a little

Not this time

No excuses

Stock up on kleenex, sick bags and possibly a straight jacket because you may well need it with how little resistance there will be when it comes time for us to pay for it all over again, like feckin eejits

CageWager wrote: »
    I am that lad. I am real. I pay for everything and get next to nothing in return except grief.

Also, Jacinta is not the middle. You obviously have no concept of how many people in this country are largely or entirely dependent on the state. Men and women. If people like me who contribute half my 75k while paying for almost all my necessities (health insurance being the perfect example) privately decide to go elsewhere, this country will be on its knees. Sorry if that doesn't jive with your notions of the downtrodden working class. A misnomer if ever there was one by the way.

I'm not downtrodden quite a successful wage tbh working in IT Engineering degree. I came from a council estate and through the state school system and tech in 3rd level.

I don't go on like you with regards my wages.

Funny that isn't it..

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Varadkar has pledged no income tax increases to fund this, which means he's planning to introduce another tax or increase USC.

How much is this all expected to cost by the end and more importantly who will be hit to pay for it and how ?

Ha ya great feckin question. I’ve not a clue but it certainly won’t be TDs and Medical Advisors. People that think we can mothball the economy indefinitely and still maintain public expenditure are off their social distancing trolleys. Money doesn’t magically appear in bank accounts like it has been doing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭declanflynn

Varadkar has pledged no income tax increases to fund this, which means he's planning to introduce another tax or increase USC.

How much is this all expected to cost by the end and more importantly who will be hit to pay for it and how ?
    we could demand payment from China or every country could impose a 20% import tariff on imports from China, it looks like the US and UK will be leading the way

road_high wrote: »
    Ha ya great feckin question. I’ve not a clue but it certainly won’t be TDs and Medical Advisors. People that think we can mothball the economy indefinitely and still maintain public expenditure are off their social distancing trolleys. Money doesn’t magically appear in bank accounts like it has been doing

Who actually thinks we can mothball the economy indefinitely.

This is daily mail level hyperbole

we could demand payment from China or every country could impose a 20% import tariff on imports from China, it looks like the US and UK will be leading the way

Lol, that's just pure deflection. You probably believe every word out of trump and Boris too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

I am that lad. I am real. I pay for everything and get next to nothing in return except grief.

Also, Jacinta is not the middle. You obviously have no concept of how many people in this country are largely or entirely dependent on the state. Men and women. If people like me who contribute half my 75k while paying for almost all my necessities (health insurance being the perfect example) privately decide to go elsewhere, this country will be on its knees. Sorry if that doesn't jive with your notions of the downtrodden working class. A misnomer if ever there was one by the way.

I would not be inclined to pay heed to the comments posted by that user.
    And user is an apt word in this case.
    The comments are always recycled with the same notion of able-bodied welfare recipients being downtrodden by the Irish worker

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭kyote00

drop the €3B broadband plan
    grab the apple €13B

Job done

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

Inflation will pay part of it.
    The rest is going to be general taxation.

The thing here is that the money is going directly into the pockets of our population. Savings before this all were at record heights. Due to childcare suspended, families who still work are saving more still.

There will be a fair bit of spending happening once things start settling back to normal again. That alone is going to bring extra cash to the tax man.
    Also, that extra savings on top of the already high deposit volumes should allow the banks to give out loans to SMEs for cheap.

The thing with this crisis is that all our infrastructure and finances are still good and working. I see some businesses in retail adapting to it rather quickly already. Who knew pubs could deliver your night out for a night in (fingerfood and cocktails included).

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

No one. The ECB will print more money.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Kivaro wrote: »
    I would not be inclined to pay heed to the comments posted by that user.
    And user is an apt word in this case.
    The comments are always recycled with the same notion of able-bodied welfare recipients being downtrodden by the Irish worker

Any quotes there to show me?

Go on pull some I'd love to see your evidence of this.

And what do you mean by user. If your implying I do drugs then you've been dropped on your head.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

When the morons vote in SF next time around I'm sure they'll use the Apple money to solve all our problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭.E_C_K_S.

Just heard that a couple who relocated home in February (non Irish citizens) were claiming the covid payment. How is this going to be recovered or what happens in cases like this? I would think it's pretty widespread at the moment.

kyote00 wrote: »
    grab the apple €13B

Job done

Lol. You don't drop infrastructure plans like that to stimulate.

That's torie level Mickey mouse economics. 2008 all over again. Economics for dummies - Amazon

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭purifol0

I'll just leave this here.

hHVsN78.png

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,322 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I am no left winger but they better not try and charge us a cent for this
    You do realise that all government expenditure is funded by "us". The State may take on debt, but has to pay the interest - that comes out of the tax take. they also have to repay that debt again out of public finances. If they don't repay that's pushing the problem onto future generations

The government can cut spending - that means lower income for some (not just welfare income, but for example the earnings of public sector workers, or those external contractors they employ)

They could raise taxes. "Tax the companies" I hear. That's fine but the companies are owned by people including funds that will pay our pensions. Tax them more and the wealth of individuals and pension funds will fall

Ultimately all of this is paid for by "people", the only debate becomes "which" people and when do they have to stump up?

.E_C_K_S. wrote: »
    Just heard that a couple who relocated home in February (non Irish citizens) were claiming the covid payment. How is this going to be recovered or what happens in cases like this? I would think it's pretty widespread at the moment.

Revenue will claim it back from them next year .

Read up fella the information is freely available.

No one is getting a free ride here.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭CageWager

listermint wrote: »
    I'm not downtrodden quite a successful wage tbh working in IT Engineering degree. I came from a council estate and through the state school system and tech in 3rd level.

I don't go on like you with regards my wages.

Funny that isn't it..

Hmmm.. I’m discussing salary in a conceptual sense on a thread about who will pay for measures arising from coronavirus. That’s hardly “going on about” my salary. You’re the one going on about your degree and your education and your background. Are you happy paying 50% of your hard earned cash every month and if so, do you feel that you are getting a decent return on your money?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

You'd be very, very surprised about how money appears in bank accounts. Hint: it really is just numbers.

The 3B for broadband is a seriously bad idea. Its state money going into the private sector company....note its a company who had no experience installing broadband.....

Spend the apple on €13B on infrastructure (just not stupid optical moon shots)

Now **** off and wash your teeth
    Lol. You don't drop infrastructure plans like that to stimulate.

That's torie level Mickey mouse economics. 2008 all over again. Economics for dummies - Amazon

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Who actually thinks we can mothball the economy indefinitely.

This is daily mail level hyperbole

Plenty from the posters I read here. “Mothball as long as it takes” is very much the flavour of the month and someone else will pick up the tab whenever

Hmmm.. I’m discussing salary in a conceptual sense on a thread about who will pay for measures arising from coronavirus. That’s hardly “going on about” my salary. You’re the one going on about your degree and your education and your background. Are you happy paying 50% of your hard earned cash every month and if so, do you feel that you are getting a decent return on your money?

No I'd like properly government funded direct childcare. Outside that fine. There's many gripes in terms of spending that's done I don't agree with it. But I don't come out with the pretence and I say that again pretence that you get nothing for your taxes.

Look around you . The country isn't as bad as the lunatic libertarians would make out. Amazing how it keeps coming up in best places to live ..... Mad stuff altogether

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

kyote00 wrote: »
    grab the apple €13B

Job done

Those piddly few billion won't fix anything

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Sono Topolino

The printing press will solve this in the short run, wage inflation will solve it in the long run. Wages will increase quickly during the recovery, but income tax bands will remain static. So taxes will secretly increase without too many people realising it.

Plenty from the posters I read here. “Mothball as long as it takes” is very much the flavour of the month and someone else will pick up the tab whenever

Posters on here also think 5G is giving out Corona and agree with gem dots...

I mean.. this is the internet.

One fella just told me to wash my teeth? Is that amusing...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Danno wrote: »
    And where will that €1.5Tn go to?

I can tell you where it won't go, that is straight into workers pockets.

The EU will insist that the banks "distribute" it making sure they get 4% to 7% markup on it.

We all will pay it back via "Carbon Taxes"

Mark my words.

Reality is Danno it will hopefully keep most workers in a job and wages in there pockets

• Advertisement

Listerine .... Listermint..... don't be so grumpy
    One fella just told me to wash my teeth? Is that amusing...

Advertisement