Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭JoeCole26

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

I would worry about Zoom, i see a lot of people moving back away from it now towards MS Teams, Skype, Webex etc. Even though we all have new Zoom licences.. Just my 2cents and not based on anything else really.

Well done on VMware and AWS. I expect AWS will only grow stronger from this.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭hobie21

With the recent bump on stock prices I am thinking of doing some shorting. With the stimulus measures out of the way I'd expect a slew of negative earnings reports. The two stocks I am looking at are TSLA and Softbank Corp.

I don't think consumers will be looking to make any big purchases any time soon and the new TSLA truck is a bit of a monstrosity.

Softbank CEO seems to be in a bit of trouble and has to pledge his shares in Softbank to the banks that lent the group money for WeWork and Oyo. The value of these assets were grossly overestimated....thoughts please before I pull the trigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭JMMCapital

hobie21 wrote: »
    With the recent bump on stock prices I am thinking of doing some shorting. With the stimulus measures out of the way I'd expect a slew of negative earnings reports. The two stocks I am looking at are TSLA and Softbank Corp.

I don't think consumers will be looking to make any big purchases any time soon and the new TSLA truck is a bit of a monstrosity.

Softbank CEO seems to be in a bit of trouble and has to pledge his shares in Softbank to the banks that lent the group money for WeWork and Oyo. The value of these assets were grossly overestimated....thoughts please before I pull the trigger.

Don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

NEVER SHORT TSLA

That is the day 1, lesson 1, of trading 101.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Shedite27

ELM327 wrote: »
    NEVER SHORT TSLA

That is the day 1, lesson 1, of trading 101.

Agree, JMMCapital, have a read of this Irish investors experience

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Agree, JMMCapital, have a read of this Irish investors experience

And Softbank?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

And Softbank?

It's reads like you were easily dissuaded from shorting TSLA which suggests you hadn't given it much more than superficial consideration, the same probably goes for Softbank. For that reason alone I wouldn't.

Hi Bob, I'm going to short TSLA. Why do you think I was dissuaded?

I know timing is everything, especially when shorting stocks but I just think the time is right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

What do you hope to gain from shorting Tesla now? Do you believe they will fall soon or over the long term? If it's the latter I would advise against it.

When we strip looking at your astrological sign and the price of a gold nugget from Kazakhstan affecting worldwide rare mineral prices, we can understand the true value of a company and that's their output. Tesla have an extremely good product that is loved by consumers, I've driven one, they're great. I always follow the rule of investing in products I like and that people like, Tesla are definitely one of them.

• Advertisement

Kilboor wrote: »
    What do you hope to gain from shorting Tesla now? Do you believe they will fall soon or over the long term? If it's the latter I would advise against it.

When we strip looking at your astrological sign and the price of a gold nugget from Kazakhstan affecting worldwide rare mineral prices, we can understand the true value of a company and that's their output. Tesla have an extremely good product that is loved by consumers, I've driven one, they're great. I always follow the rule of investing in products I like and that people like, Tesla are definitely one of them.

Just wrote a really long response but closed browser window before posting. Dammit. Anyway I managed to convince myself.

Just wrote a really long response but closed browser window before posting. Dammit. Anyway I managed to convince myself.

I'll summerise the points.

1. Recession. Fewer customers buying cars (esp Chinese market 50% drop already)

2. The truck. What an ugly machine.
    3. Cash burn, new factories in early stages in Germany China.
    4. P/E of 50.

Plan is short at 570 and get out at 250.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

Kilboor wrote: »

Tesla may be the new Apple.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,713 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Far bigger competition in the automotive world than there was for smart phones in 2007. Tesla still to make decent profit.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Looking at the truck it's more likely the new DeLorean

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

4. P/E of 50.

Good luck, I have no investments in Tesla currently so will wish you well!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

OK 250 is your target, what's your stop loss? Just to warn you if you say you don't have one your going to look like an absolute idiot.

The problem with shorting Tesla is despite all the fundamentals saying its overvalued there is a massive fan base all of whom are willing to drive on the share price with the dreams of it being the next apple etc, I'd bet it would see 900 again sooner than it would see 250.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭XMG

I have shorted TSLA intraday but would never hold it for any longer than that. Elon is a master of manipulation and often reported numbers don’t really add up. If you’re right you’ll be minted but if you’re wrong, well...

Timmaay wrote: »
    OK 250 is your target, what's your stop loss? Just to warn you if you say you don't have one your going to look like an absolute idiot.

The problem with shorting Tesla is despite all the fundamentals saying its overvalued there is a massive fan base all of whom are willing to drive on the share price with the dreams of it being the next apple etc, I'd bet it would see 900 again sooner than it would see 250.

Yup, specially with the likes of Ron Baron,Cathie Wood and that so called "reformed" broker guy pumping it full time on CNBC I can't believe people actually listen to them fools bunch of sheep.

It's exactly hype by retail investors that's driving it as Chanos said.

And Softbank?

No, venture capital is the last place I would want to have money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭RedRochey

JMMCapital wrote: »
    Yup, specially with the likes of Ron Baron,Cathie Wood and that so called "reformed" broker guy pumping it full time on CNBC I can't believe people actually listen to them fools bunch of sheep.

It's exactly hype by retail investors that's driving it as Chanos said.

That reformed broker guy is very good, works for Ritholtz mgmt, they have a load of blogs, all very good, really like of dollars and data

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

That reformed broker guy is very good, works for Ritholtz mgmt, they have a load of blogs, all very good, really like of dollars and data

Josh Brown ?

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Josh Brown ?

Ya, haven't seen him on CNBC and yes he does look like a bit of a twat but their blogs and youtube videos are usually good

You're joking right?

You're joking right?

Like I said haven't seen him on CNBC but their blogs are good

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

You're joking right?

Probably not, unfortunately... but at least I now understand where some of his other come from - CNBC (the Fox News of the business world).

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭greenfield21

CNBC and r/wallstreetbets are great for anyone learning to invest.such a wealth of information on there.We are so lucky to have them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

4. P/E of 50.

Fewer cars will be sold but of those sold Tesla will grow their sales and therefore market share even more.

The truck has a big following - I wouldn't underestimate it.

Cash burn for building new factories so they can sell lots of cars and generate more cash.

P/E is irrelavent.

If Tsla drops to 250 i'll be looking down the back of the couch for change so I can buy as many as I can.

The current situation is favourable for tsla in that they will be one of the companies faster able to respond to the market when it picks up with a strong brand, excellent product that is competitively priced.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭BillyBiggs

CNBC and r/wallstreetbets are great for anyone learning to invest.such a wealth of information on there.We are so lucky to have them.

Are they the best sources of live up to date info? Just wondering as a rookie, don’t know any good sources myself.

• Advertisement

Jim2007 wrote: »
    Probably not, unfortunately... but at least I now understand where some of his other come from - CNBC (the Fox News of the business world).

I dont watch CNBC at all, like I said I only read their blogs which usually contain quantitative analysis of previous markets, such as:

https://ofdollarsanddata.com/even-god-couldnt-beat-dollar-cost-averaging/

https://awealthofcommonsense.com/2020/03/a-short-history-of-dead-cat-bounces/

I'm a fairly inexperienced trader so I'm trying to educate myself by reading blogs, if you think there is a better way then maybe you could offer some help instead of trying to make fun of me

Advertisement