Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭voluntary

Similar reason I stay off Irish shares. High fees and the 1% gov levy is a repellent.

It's a SHORT TIME by the way!

American banks failing expectations one after another this US morning. WTF did everyone expected?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

There is a huge bull trap in the stock market right imo, I think it could start getting messy soon

• Registered Users Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

I see Cairn are down 6% today. They're someone I've had my eye on as a more medium term hold (I'd never consider a property developer as a long term hold as they have an awful habit of going bust!).

Ireland's housing crisis has been put on hold but it isn't going anywhere. Have to imagine there will be some sort of government stimulus for developers, once we can actually afford it again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

voluntary wrote: »
    American banks failing expectations one after another this US morning. WTF did everyone expected?

Why are banks missing? Like the specific reasons?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,379 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Dots1982 wrote: »
    Why are banks missing? Like the specific reasons?
    I know there's plenty on here a lot more bearish than me, but I sense that banks have put huge amounts of money into their reserves as they feel there's a big line of potential default on loans/mortgages etc.

Essentially they're using the chance now to take the hit on profits, reducing/removing dividends, to ensure they don't go out of business in 2020.

I see it as a positive (if it is indeed the reason, I haven't had a chance to read up about them in depth).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭littlemac1980

Interestingly:

Zoom bucking the trend today and continuing to recover after the drop last week.

GME not maintaining yesterday’s momentum and losing a lot of the uplift generated from the news about a Michael Burry company increasing its position recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

Interestingly:

Zoom bucking the trend today and continuing to recover after the drop last week.

GME not maintaining yesterday’s momentum and losing a lot of the uplift generated from the news about a Michael Burry increasing his position recently.

GME losing momentum is more to do with the Proxy War settling down as well as the short squeeze dying. Expect a retrace into the 3 dollar range.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭JMMCapital

Goldman's quarterly profits down 49% will be keeping a close eye on Morgan Stanley and BlackRock tomorrow.

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2020/0415/1130672-goldman-sachs-quarterly-results/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,666 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Sold TSLA today at ~749 at a profit of ~100USD per share.
    May get back in again when it goes back below 500/550

Holding NCLH

I tried to draw it a few other ways and they all end up in the bear confirmation.

I think this would be something you have in mind:
    UjmN1Pw.png

Still, all the criteria checkboxes ticked. Let's see what reality brings us.

Updated chart

9gOPVoy.png

Zoom up 7% + now, might get back over 160?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,716 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Bank of Ireland is like the anti amazon, it reaches new lows every week

Can anyone give an insight into BOI? I remember reading that they had some off balance sheet debt or something. Trying to get my head around them.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

Folks just a general observation, stay away from Banks there's loads of other sectors/names...small caps taking a beating today...

Can anyone give an insight into BOI? I remember reading that they had some off balance sheet debt or something. Trying to get my head around them.

BOI has been a s**tshow for investors for many years now, not looking like that will change any time soon. If they were to start manufacturing hats to cover the sparse heads of all the investors pulling their hair out over the past decade they might have a much better SP today, but alas they are a bank in Ireland that unfortunately doesn’t sell hats. Investors have been waiting for an upturn on this one for years - you’d be up there with Nostradamus to pick the right time to jump in, if there even is one.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,084 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Folks just a general observation, stay away from Banks there's loads of other sectors/names...small caps taking a beating today...

I suppose there is absolutely no chance what so ever that you'd try and add a few actual facts to this highly opinionated statement then????

• Registered Users Posts: 10,716 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Bank Of Ireland, 2019

Net profit margin - 7.65%
    Total Debt - 11.06b
    Total Assets - 131.88b

Debt/Equity ratio - 1.15

Is there hidden debt there or something?

https://markets.ft.com/data/equities/tearsheet/financials?s=BIR:ISE

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭MyStubbleItches

Jim2007 wrote: »
    I suppose there is absolutely no chance what so ever that you'd try and add a few actual facts to this highly opinionated statement then????

Pot/kettle black. Surely a wind up at this stage.

Bit of interesting info on Paypal for those interested:

PayPal Newly Available as Payment Option on Walmart's Online Platform in Canada Amid Surge in Internet Shopping
    11:49 AM EDT, 04/15/2020 (MT Newswires) -- PayPal (PYPL) was added as a new payment option on Walmart.ca (WMT) as a survey in early April showed that 30% of Canadians shop their groceries and essentials online, an increase of 58% in just four weeks.

The surge in online shoppers was attributed to the declaration of the COVID-19 as a pandemic.

This is the first time PayPal has partnered with a Canadian grocery retailer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

Jim2007 wrote: »

Jim, I understand you have a wealth of expereince and respect it. but no reason to pick the bones of every post.

however I made it clear at the start of the post by saying general observation and Yes it's a opinionated statement. TBH every second person knows Banks will be struggling big time in the coming months with tonnes of NPA's.

May be you can add some more facts with your wealth of experience.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,379 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Bit of interesting info on Paypal for those interested:

PayPal Newly Available as Payment Option on Walmart's Online Platform in Canada Amid Surge in Internet Shopping
    11:49 AM EDT, 04/15/2020 (MT Newswires) -- PayPal (PYPL) was added as a new payment option on Walmart.ca (WMT) as a survey in early April showed that 30% of Canadians shop their groceries and essentials online, an increase of 58% in just four weeks.

The surge in online shoppers was attributed to the declaration of the COVID-19 as a pandemic.

This is the first time PayPal has partnered with a Canadian grocery retailer.
    Paypal will do very well out of all this, they're fairly tightly tied into Amazon for all that online shopping windfall

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

while obviously this is a perilous time for banks , bank of ireland hardly ever goes anywhere but down in terms of where it closes each day this past two months

any links to credit default swaps ?

are they spiking on this bank ?

c6304fce504238778ae5aa2e82b6dbc2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭coolshannagh28

Updated chart

9gOPVoy.png

A work of art , time to go short ....

Updated chart

9gOPVoy.png

I’m not meaning to be critical just curious, but is the selection of reference points largely arbitrary and could the ‘1’ reference be at ‘5’ on your updated chart and the ‘2’ reference be at ‘C’

I’m not meaning to be critical just curious, but is the selection of reference points largely arbitrary and could the ‘1’ reference be at ‘5’ on your updated chart and the ‘2’ reference be at ‘C’

https://elliottwave-forecast.com/elliott-wave-theory/

This link gives some insight into Elliot wave theory but it can be arbitrary within reason but I would agree with the analysis posted in the chart by Voluntary .

https://elliottwave-forecast.com/elliott-wave-theory/

This link gives some insight into Elliot wave theory but it can be arbitrary within reason but I would agree with the analysis posted in the chart by Voluntary .

Thanks that looks like an interesting article, I will try to read it fully. Did note in the first paragraph it mentions that Elliot saw the wave patterns as fractal (paraphrasing here as in my phone and have navigated away) so as you say within reason any peak or trough can possibly form a reference point of a legitimate wave pattern on the graph, just depends on scale (or magnitude) and frequency.

That’s interesting though, thanks for the link.

I didn’t mean to suggest that those points I was referring to would be reference points on a wave graph, just using them as examples to illustrate my question.

From my very limited understanding sure if they were the points I was indicating then we’d be looking at 4500-5000 by Mid-Late May and 3000ish around mid June, that’s just absurd right? 😳

Thanks that looks like an interesting article, I will try to read it fully. Did note in the first paragraph it mentions that Elliot saw the wave patterns as fractal (paraphrasing here as in my phone and have navigated away) so as you say within reason any peak or trough can possibly form a reference point of a legitimate wave pattern on the graph, just depends on scale (or magnitude) and frequency.

That’s interesting though, thanks for the link.

I didn’t mean to suggest that those points I was referring to would be reference points on a wave graph, just using them as examples to illustrate my question.

From my very limited understanding sure if they were the points I was indicating then we’d be looking at 4500-5000 by Mid-Late May and 3000ish around mid June, that’s just absurd right? ��

Ill let the artist answer that but in a bear market anything is possible , elevator down , stairs up .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Why do you partake in this thread?

Imagine if Zinedine Zidane spent his days now going around parks watching eight year olds kicking a ball around and yelled insults about how crap they are while also telling them he spent years in the top flights ?

That's our Jim

Advertisement