Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,666 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Yes, all correct, it's still overvalued, strictly speaking

hobie21 wrote: »
    I have "not" shorted TSLA.

I'll summerise the points.

1. Recession. Fewer customers buying cars (esp Chinese market 50% drop already)

2. The truck. What an ugly machine.
    3. Cash burn, new factories in early stages in Germany China.
    4. P/E of 50.

Plan is short at 570 and get out at 250.

You'll be waiting... it's more likely to test 1000 again than it is to hit 250 in the next few weeks. Depending on the earnings call

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭hobie21

ELM327 wrote: »
    You'll be waiting... it's more likely to test 1000 again than it is to hit 250 in the next few weeks. Depending on the earnings call

It's a dangerous stock to short alright. Very momentum based price and has a lot of fanboys so I'm going to wait until I think it's a slam dunk short. Maybe around 750. I think they are going to dump all the bad news on the market next week and just say, it's not our fault results are bad, it's the corona virus.

Market makes no sense at the moment to going to hide in gold for a while. GOLD (barrick gold corp)

It hit 950 USD last peak, without any real reason, so there's no logic behind it - it could top 1k.
    I don't think the earnings call will be bad, I think it will be great, especially compared to others

Volatile markets are where there's more money to be made, calling the peaks and troughs. Gold is not really going to make you much, similar to gvt bonds, as all the "safe" money is going there.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭hobie21

ELM327 wrote: »
    It hit 950 USD last peak, without any real reason, so there's no logic behind it - it could top 1k.
    I don't think the earnings call will be bad, I think it will be great, especially compared to others

Volatile markets are where there's more money to be made, calling the peaks and troughs. Gold is not really going to make you much, similar to gvt bonds, as all the "safe" money is going there.

True, but Barrick is a miner and major costs like fuel have plummeted. Should help the bottom line. All the metrics for this company look great ROE 15%, P/E 10 and debt/equity 0.26

Until the market starts making sense this is a better place than cash

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

GME currently skyrocketing on the back of a proxy war and Michael Burry putting a big stake into it.

I'd definitely recommend picking up post 20th April but only at a 3-4 dollar price range.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Sold over 500 ryanair shares at €10.20 earlier. Down to €9.74 now. Sold another 500 or so last year at €14 so lost on the second sale but up overall. Might buy back in if it drops to around €8.50 again. Would be a much lower BEP than I previously had :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭littlemac1980

Interesting article on Zoom here, which seems to have recovered from its cyber security concerns last week. Makes sense plenty of tech firms are having to constantly patch vulnerabilities in their systems as threats and malware evolve, Citrix and Cisco come to mind as most recent comparable examples earlier this year - both still doing well regardless.

https://apple.news/Ap0CxStw5T6uOH3NkKCbeOA[/url{

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Wheety wrote: »
    Sold over 500 ryanair shares at €10.20 earlier. Down to €9.74 now. Sold another 500 or so last year at €14 so lost on the second sale but up overall. Might buy back in if it drops to around €8.50 again. Would be a much lower BEP than I previously had :rolleyes:

Are you using degiro or a different platform? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Blueshoe wrote: »
    Are you using degiro or a different platform? Thanks

Degiro

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

$AMZN at an all time high today

beast of a stock

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭littlemac1980

So much positivity on the markets today, one might almost begin to wonder is this a concerted effort to create some much needed headroom for an impending drop... nah, probably me just being cynical right?

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭theboringfox

Ya so hard to know what is priced in. Definitely think there is very optimistic outlook out there on how quickly economy can reopen.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭JMMCapital

True, but Barrick is a miner and major costs like fuel have plummeted. Should help the bottom line. All the metrics for this company look great ROE 15%, P/E 10 and debt/equity 0.26

Until the market starts making sense this is a better place than cash

You do realize mines across the world are shut down right now? Commodities will fall much more before they come back specially the mining companies. I would what till end of the year before even considering them, we may very well have a bull market in commodities like 2011. I warn you do not invest without doing your homework specially in the commodities market it’s all about timing.

I’m not recommending you to buy gold but for now look at an ETF like ‘GLD’ which tracks gold rather than individual mining stocks..

IMF global gdp outlook, much more realistic than the other estimates I have seen floating about..

-6.8 (2020) +6.3 (2021) for Ireland FYI

JMMCapital wrote: »

I’m not recommending you to buy gold but for now look at an ETF like ‘GLD’ which tracks gold rather than individual mining stocks..

I wouldnt recommend to buy "paper" gold

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    I wouldnt recommend to buy "paper" gold

I didn’t say I was recommending the ETF is not ‘paper’ as they have gold in storage and are audited.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

IMO both physical and ETFs are fine as long as used properly:
    - ETFs for short term speculation
    - physical for long term holdings

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭manonboard

Im looking at F-Secure Oyj (HEL: FSC1V) for cyber security during all of this. I think a huge move is being made to remote working and likely to remain so.

I've used their products for years. Compared and used others. Without a doubt i found it the smoothest and best performance. On digging into their approach a little more. I found it to be well more advance than competitors (I work in sdev security). It's highly heuristic behavior and they are soon to release a pretty sweet artificial intelligence led approach to listening/managing a network on the fly.

The stock price hasn't been a beast, nor a slumper. It had stead growth until a bad deal a couple of years ago. They dramatically cut costs (fat) over the year and that's brought costs way down. They've reduced technical debt quite alot too.

I'm trying to think of what other companies would benefit from a remote working shift and cyber security and internet provision are the two biggest to me.

cyber security, internet, and stuff like cloud software, secure vpn, remote access, etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭99nsr125

AmberGold wrote: »
    Anyone have a view on Tullow Oil?

Thinking about a small buy, in the hundreds.

I'd say Tullow might go down with the low oil price
    Haven't been strong for some time

Seagate $STX

I've been doing business with them for over 15 years and they are still investing and showing no sign of a slow down

They also have a lot of very high profile owners

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭unplayable

manonboard wrote: »
    Im looking at F-Secure Oyj (HEL: FSC1V) for cyber security during all of this. I think a huge move is being made to remote working and likely to remain so.

I've used their products for years. Compared and used others. Without a doubt i found it the smoothest and best performance. On digging into their approach a little more. I found it to be well more advance than competitors (I work in sdev security). It's highly heuristic behavior and they are soon to release a pretty sweet artificial intelligence led approach to listening/managing a network on the fly.

The stock price hasn't been a beast, nor a slumper. It had stead growth until a bad deal a couple of years ago. They dramatically cut costs (fat) over the year and that's brought costs way down. They've reduced technical debt quite alot too.

I'm trying to think of what other companies would benefit from a remote working shift and cyber security and internet provision are the two biggest to me.

that chart is a thing of beauty from a technical perspective. 2.28 was the 2015 low, hit 2.21 in october 2018 and bounced off the same resistance again on march 13. next target would be in the 2.9 range before a pullback.

Very nice find and the fundamentals seem solid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Could you link the chart please? Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Bank of Ireland is like the anti amazon, it reaches new lows every week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 iQuestion

iQuestion wrote: »
    I bought the following shares at Degiro, first time buying stocks... Only for fun but we will see
    - 1 NASDAQ: GOOG @$1,168.98
    - 2 NASDAQ: MSFT @$161.08
    - 1 NASDAQ: TSLA @$538.48
    - 10 NASDAQ: AAL @$12.78

It says -$2.70 at the top EUR MMF, I am not sure what that means, anyone has easy explaination? If I understood correctly 2.50 euro per american stock per year fee, and if my investment is below 2500 euro ill get compensated mmf hmmm...

Also planning to buy 100 shares of NYSE: DAL shall they fall below 10$

I will be selling shares this week at some point, a bit of profit !

unplayable wrote: »
    that chart is a thing of beauty from a technical perspective. 2.28 was the 2015 low, hit 2.21 in October 2018 and bounced off the same resistance again on march 13. next target would be in the 2.9 range before a pullback.

Glad you like. They are rolling out some really interesting packages that are more like security as a service, rolling contract. Coincidentally only, very suitable for todays climate. You pick the level of response you want, and they supply the resources to do it. The level of protection is usually the highest, they don't offer low protection since its their reputation on the line. The other services behind that, are the flexible sevices, such as active response to fix issues they find, inspection and advice by their professionals, active hacking of your company to find weaknesses etc. The 'other' sort of stuff people don't think about it until its analysis ed.

I've decided to purchase today and hold long, or at least till previous highs since the market has only got better since then for the services.

iQuestion wrote: »
    I will be selling shares this week at some point, a bit of profit !

May i ask why sell Google and MSFT.
    MSFT seem like a great stock to hold right now and basically ignored this recession as they've so little competition in many areas and world events rarely require less tech.

TSLA i'd agree on. Very well done on your profit. Very expensive in my opinion but hard to value a cult like following.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,379 ✭✭✭Shedite27

unplayable wrote: »
    that chart is a thing of beauty from a technical perspective. 2.28 was the 2015 low, hit 2.21 in october 2018 and bounced off the same resistance again on march 13. next target would be in the 2.9 range before a pullback.

Helsinki stock exchange is a bit off putting for me. Costs €4 rather than 50c to buy 50 shares, and then an extra €2.50 for trading on another stock exchange. Same again to sell it. Essentially I need it to grow by 8% (from €2.55 to €2.76) before I make any profit.

This isn't something unique to this share, but is something that puts me off these offbeat shares

Advertisement