Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Wire-Is it any good?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,345 ✭✭✭.red.

dobman88 wrote: »
    I think Prop_Joe hangs around the GAA forums

Just remembered 2 more after I posted and edited, helped by them posting just above me lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

.red. wrote: »
    Just remembered 2 more after I posted and edited, helped by them posting just above me lol.

You were going into the wagon with bracelets before that edit!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭dobman88

Lol. Ya big fcekin cheater

You were going into the wagon with bracelets before that edit!

Are we stopping in Hamsterdam?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

Are we stopping in Hamsterdam?

Be careful, The 5-oh will probably try to get you on one of those contrapment things!

A minor character who I really enjoyed was Bernard.
    His head was completely melted by his girlfriend.
    "I can't wait to go to jail"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 commuterbelt

Don't wanna spoil anything so I'll be vague but the confession that Cheese made was hilarious!
    Another few of my favourite scenes are,
    The one with johnny and the onion soup,
    Mc Nulty and the tide charts,
    Mc Nulty and the car crash,
    The Fcuk, fcuk, fcuk, fcuk scene,
    I could be here all day with it lol.
    For a show that was very serious, it had some real comedy gold moments!
    Its a show that is soo much better the 2nd time round, its frightening how many details and little snippets go over your head the first time.
    ok that's swung it! ... was afraid to re-watch, fearful that it could not live up the epic experience it was first time round ... (admittedly watched in very special circumstances) but December is 'return to The Wire' month

• Registered Users Posts: 5,257 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

dobman88 wrote: »
    I think Prop_Joe hangs around the GAA forums

:cool::cool::cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

The Sopranos was good, but it wasn't The Wire level.

In fact Southland, a brilliant cop procedural show which slipped under so many radars, I think is just behind The Wire and competes with The Shield. Great writing and production, it's almost a reality show, it's something everyone should see really, I don't understand why it has never been repeated on TV or appeared on Netflix. In fact even on TV there was a few years gap between the first season on Channel 4 I think and subsequent ones on More 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,552 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I'm (very) late to the party on this but I just finished binge watching this show and shiiiiiiiittttttttt, I loved it.

My favourite character was Omar. Never would have imagined when I was first introduced to him how much I would end up rooting for the guy. So many of the characters were well fleshed out. My favourite scene on the show was:
    the end of Stringer Bell. I was buzzing after that episode ended.

Seen some debate online about which season had the best intro. I liked Season 5's the best, although season 4's was also good. I'd no idea that was Steve Earle in the show as Bubble's sponsor.

Anyway, I'd recommend it for anyone that hasn't seen it yet. I'm moving on to Deadwood next, which I've heard good things about.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Season 2 all day long for me. There's just something about being a stevedore and all those shots of the docks. I liked S1 but S2 completely hooked me.

As for characters i dunno why but always liked Jay, he doesn't do that much but he just makes me laugh, delivers good lines and all the time you think he's really just a box ticking slimeball like rawls, but then you realise, no, he really is just good po-leece.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Troyaferd

I liked the Season 4 Intro best. Favorite characters are Omar, Randy and Beadie.

As for characters i dunno why but always liked Jay, .

Jay Landsman was based on an actual detective from Baltimore of the same name, I think he wrote a few books after he retired early from the job. The real life Jay tried out for the part of himself but they didn't get it.

Another thing that I read after seeing the show was that Andre Royo who plays Bubbles was off set one day but still in his "costume". Someone came upto him and put a bit of heroin into his hand and told him he looked like he needed it more.
    Andre calls it his street Oscar.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The Wire is one of those "critically acclaimed" shows I watched mostly down to the gushing over it, rather than it being a genre or type of show I'd ordinarily watch. Very close to the bone and barely a shred of daylight to be found, so it's hard to say I ever "enjoyed" it.

Intellectually there was a lot to take from it; brilliantly written and acted, but emotionally I never took to it. Wouldn't go back for sure, and anyone coming to it new would want a palette cleanser on hand afterwards to pick yourself back up.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,357 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Jay Landsman was based on an actual detective from Baltimore of the same name, I think he wrote a few books after he retired early from the job. The real life Jay tried out for the part of himself but they didn't get it.

He actually ended up playing Lieutenant Mello (the guy with the moustache under Bunny Colvin).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

pixelburp wrote: »
    The Wire is one of those "critically acclaimed" shows I watched mostly down to the gushing over it, rather than it being a genre or type of show I'd ordinarily watch. Very close to the bone and barely a shred of daylight to be found, so it's hard to say I ever "enjoyed" it.

Intellectually there was a lot to take from it; brilliantly written and acted, but emotionally I never took to it. Wouldn't go back for sure, and anyone coming to it new would want a palette cleanser on hand afterwards to pick yourself back up.

For ne it was exactly the opposite. You feel huge empathy for some characters plus there are some seriously funny moments. Using printer to fake lie detector was classic and it is actually taken from real life (David Simon spent a year with Baltimore murder detectives and wrote Homicide: A Year on the Killing Streets). My favourite though is Omar in court as a witness.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Truly incredible show. The only one I have ever re-watched. Not sure their will ever be better than this. Would be too slow paced for the newer generation

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

has there ever been a more heinous character than marlo stanfield ?

guy was the devil incarnate

• Registered Users Posts: 20,065 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

ixoy wrote: »
    Absolutely. Far ahead of 'The Sopranos' IMO but really they're very different shows so it's not worth comparing the two much.

The main compassion between the two is how good they are. They both have a great overarching story but they're not actually about the actual story. The best thing about them is here interactions between the characters. The story is secondary.

I liked shows like breaking bad and sons of anarchy but I'd never watch them again because they were all about the overarching story. And once you know how it ends then that's where your Interest ends. The Wire's best bits are in the ways the characters get along. Characters like Bunk, Lester, Omar, Stringer, Keema, Bubbles and McNulty. Just great characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

The Wire was ostensibly about the fight against drugs and corruption in Baltimore, as told through the eyes of some great characters. Really, Baltimore- warts and all- was the star, as a an example of the modern American city, with each self-contained season addressing different aspects of life there, all part of an ever-building narrative. Groundbreaking, hugely memorable TV, perhaps even astonishing in its humanity and authenticity. Its pacing might not suit all, but once it gets its hooks into you, it's compelling. Any good? The best tv series ever made IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭kala85

Is it hard to get into at the start.

Just started watching the first two episodes

• Advertisement

kala85 wrote: »

It's not quite CSI. Hardly any of the writers Simon used were from tv; his style is far more authentic, and consequently take its time building the world and its characters. It really is a show you invest in, and reap the the rewards of great story-telling.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,322 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

meeeeh wrote: »
    For ne it was exactly the opposite. You feel huge empathy for some characters plus there are some seriously funny moments. Using printer to fake lie detector was classic and it is actually taken from real life (David Simon spent a year with Baltimore murder detectives and wrote Homicide: A Year on the Killing Streets).1 My favourite though is Omar in court as a witness.

Great book. Might reread it. Check out the follow up The Corner if you haven’t. It’s life on the other side of the law. Probably even better.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭stevensi

It's pretty good but a bit stupid when mcnulty staged the serial killer in the area. Worth a watch though

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I watched 2 seasons I think, am planning on watching it again. It was released on blu ray and done in wide screen.

I don't like watching stuff in 4:3 on a wide tv, and did not want to be zooming in and missing stuff. They were meant to remaster it with consideration. I think some scenes will have all of the original footage and additional footage on the sides. And if some are cropped they are not just cropped in a dumb manner, i.e. if cropping 4:3 to fit 16:9 they do not just go for the middle, if action was taking place mainly at the top of the screen they would show it.

I had watched some on dvd on a 4:3 tv so that did not bother me. I heard friends day they watched it on widescreen tvs and "did not notice", so I guess they were zoomed and cropping -as 4:3 on a wide screen with black borders sticks out like a dogs dick.

Picture format
    480i (4:3 SDTV) (original broadcast)
    1080p (16:9 HDTV) (2014 remaster)

kala85 wrote: »

I've seen people compare it to a jig saw,
    Loads of pieces, all over the place and some bits look out of place.
    Once the pieces come together it gets better and better and when you see the whole picture you actually realise just how good it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,975 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

endacl wrote: »

Yes.

Clay Davis is an African American Bertie Ahern. That scene where hes on trial for corruption and plays up to the all black jury with a grandstanding speech reminded me of Berties sob story to Brian Dobson. It worked too.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭doughef

No - it’s shi*

Dated as fuk and not worth the investment of your time.

The wire shouldn’t be mentioned in the same league as the sopranos

doughef wrote: »
    No - it’s shi*

Dated as fuk and not worth the investment of your time.

The wire shouldn’t be mentioned in the same league as the sopranos
    Obviously technology dates, but human ingenuity is a constant.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,065 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

OmegaGene wrote: »
    As clay would say shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit

Excellent show with oz coming close behind and then the shield of must watch tv

OZ was excellent too. I'd nearly call it a horror show. I've rewatched that a few times too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭doughef

Obviously technology dates, but human ingenuity is a constant.

Nah - shi* is shi*

Advertisement