Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Wire-Is it any good?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

The Wire is definitely worth your time. Excellent stuff. It had some very memorable characters. Omar springs to mind straight away, Michael K. Williams performance is outstanding.

I'm watching The Shield at the moment. I'm completely absorbed in it, don't know how I missed it at the time. It does look a bit old now though but it doesn't feel as old as it looks. Maybe that's just me getting older :pac: I'm going to try and give Oz a go after. David Simon's The Deuce is also an excellent watch.

I always loved this scene in The Wire, bunk using the photocopier as a lie detector :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

meeeeh wrote: »
    For ne it was exactly the opposite. You feel huge empathy for some characters plus there are some seriously funny moments. Using printer to fake lie detector was classic and it is actually taken from real life (David Simon spent a year with Baltimore murder detectives and wrote Homicide: A Year on the Killing Streets). My favourite though is Omar in court as a witness.

The TV Series 'Homicide: Life on the Streets' that was based on that book is excellent and worth watching too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

kala85 wrote: »
    Is it hard to get into at the start.

Just started watching the first two episodes

It's a slow start but there's quite a bit of groundwork going on, the relationships are being built. A re-watch highlights all the little bits I missed first time around. I remember the moment I knew I was hooked, the end of episode 5 or 6 iirc, as the episode closes there's a helicopter hovering around (if you've got surround sound, switch it on) I just sat there stunned - I can't say I've ever had an emotional reaction to a telly program like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

When ye have the wire finished watch treme.
    “Play for the money boys.play for the mother fcukin money”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭tritriagain

I tried to watch it and couldn't get into it. Someone told me to watch the first few episodes with subtitles. After 2 episodes I was hooked and was speaking the lingo at home. Muthaf###er this and shiiiiiite that. Excellent series .a toss up between this and the sopranos as best ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,846 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

You have to watch it with subtitles on:D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,776 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Watch out for season 2. It's radically different from the first season and there is a sizeable amount of fans who didn't enjoy it. But on rewatch I actually think it's the best season. Took you out of your comfort zone and greatly expanded the breadth of the show to encompass white working class poverty.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,969 ✭✭✭pgj2015

first 3 seasons are good. wouldnt bother with 4 and 5.

season 2 was my favorite.

One of my favourite scenes ever. How to have a meaningful conversation just using one word.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Best thing on tv ever produced.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

pgj2015 wrote: »

The montage at the end of that series was excellent

It’s years since I’ve watched the wire. Must give it another go. Up there with sopranos and breaking bad as my top 3 of all time.

Was season 5 the one with the homeless guys? I thought that was an ingenious plot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Have any of ye watched treme

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Clegg wrote: »
    Watch out for season 2. It's radically different from the first season and there is a sizeable amount of fans who didn't enjoy it. But on rewatch I actually think it's the best season. Took you out if your comfort zone and greatly expanded the breadth of the show to encompass white working class poverty.

I've said the same. Not sure I even liked season 2 the first time I watched it. Now it's possibly my favourite.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,979 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Its the tale of a modern american city, corrupt at every level. Really really essential viewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Trouble with the last series was whole newspaper angle slightly bored me. Characters a bit wooden - chinstroking editor, corrupt reporter, ruthless proprietors etc. Lacked the shade of the best characters. McNultys and Lesters stunt was ok to a point but felt a bit too far fetched to be credible though someone probably tell me its based on true event!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,776 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

theteal wrote: »
    I've said the same. Not sure I even liked season 2 the first time I watched it. Now it's possibly my favourite.

I enjoyed it the first time I watched, but I definitely remember being annoyed at the reduced focus on the Barksdale gang. Looking back though, it was a brilliant deviation and tied into the subsequent seasons so well.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I watched up to the end of season two a few years back and then stopped as I was moving house and life got in the way. Was thinking of going back to it but Im not sure whether to start it all over again or just go into S3. Ive forgotten much of what happened in 1-2 but I do remember it as being a bit slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

The TV Series 'Homicide: Life on the Streets' that was based on that book is excellent and worth watching too.

That one must be 30 years old or close to that anyway. I remember watching it and I liked it. It was the show that premiered the white board.

Last season of Wire wasn't great but there is so much great stuff and so many great characters in previous 4 seasons it's easy to forgive them 5th season.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭trashcan

It definitely takes patience. Watching the first 4/5 episodes I didn't really appreciate how good it was. It just had enough to keep me coming back. By the end of season one I just thought it was wrapped up perfectly, and was a great story. Like finishing a really great book. So, yes, it does require an investment of your time and attention, but boy does it pay off. The subsequent seasons are easier to get into, because you know it's going to be good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Austria!

wouldnt bother with 4 and 5.

wouldnt bother with 4

wouldnt bother with 4

Leave this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,419 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I rate the wire as one of the finest shows up there. I think the fact that I had the boxset so was able to watch it in one go was a big help as it helped break down some of the episodes that might be classed as boring.
    Immediately after watching it...I wished I could erased my memory of it and rewatched it again asap.

You have to be kidding ? Granted, 5 is the weakest season, but that's only by its own incredible standards. Season 4 on the other hand is my favourite, sensational stuff.

meeeeh wrote: »
    For ne it was exactly the opposite. You feel huge empathy for some characters plus there are some seriously funny moments. .

Definitely. One of my favourite little cameos was the squad trying to get the desk in/out of the office.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,969 ✭✭✭pgj2015

trashcan wrote: »
    You have to be kidding ? Granted, 5 is the weakest season, but that's only by its own incredible standards. Season 4 on the other hand is my favourite, sensational stuff.

I was bored all the way through 4 and 5. i thought Hamsterdam was in season 4 but it was 3, that was very unbelievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Darth Melkor

Best TV show of all time is the Sopranos. I think the Wire comes in second. Sometimes it can take a while to get into the accents. My wife stopped watching during season 2. But it really is good....WMD!

Best TV show of all time is the Sopranos. I think the Wire comes in second. Sometimes it can take a while to get into the accents. My wife stopped watching during season 2. But it really is good....WMD!

I got the pandemic!

Ya im the same The Sopranos for me is still the greatest drama series. Till I go to the grave Tony Soprano will be my favourite TV character, it can't be put into words how iconic that role was.

The wire is right up there, oz is another and Game of thrones up to the last season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Imo the Sopranos doesn't have a patch on the Wire.

In saying that i loved the sopranos also.

Again id say breaking bad wasnt as good as either.

Imo the Sopranos doesn't have a patch on the Wire.

In saying that i loved the sopranos also.

Again id say breaking bad wasnt as good as either.

Breaking bad while good has nothing on the sopranos and the wire.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

Personally, I think Breaking bad is a better show but it's my number 2. What I will give it and often compliment throughout essentially its entire run there is no character asking questions or clunky dialogue for exposition and explaining the story.

The police Procedures or street slang..... you can either follow it and keep up or you get lost..... not nearly enough shows do this in my opinion

Advertisement