Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Wire-Is it any good?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

why was it pulled?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

fryup wrote: »
    why was it pulled?

It was just time.

Ive been hoping in vein for a season 6 but that wont happen. Probably for the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

It was just time.

Ive been hoping in vein for a season 6 but that wont happen. Probably for the best.

I'm pretty sure David Simon said he would only do a 6th season if drugs were decriminalized, otherwise there is nowhere else for the story to go.

As Carver says in the very first episode, it makes no sense calling the War on Drugs a war because wars end.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,948 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Seve OB wrote: »
    You have to watch it with subtitles on:D

I've heard a few people say they couldn't understand what they're saying. It takes a bit to tune your ear to the lingo. But the dialogue is really great.

It was just time.

No! Never! Leave it alone. It's great the way it is. And he way it ends and the whole story is almost irrelevant to the grand scheme of things. Life just carries on. Perfect way to end it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,298 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

I've heard a few people say they couldn't understand what they're saying. It takes a bit to tune your ear to the lingo. But the dialogue is really great.

Even when a whole scene is pretty much one word being repeated over and over again as per the clip a few posts back :)

Collie D wrote: »
    Even when a whole scene is pretty much one word being repeated over and over again as per the clip a few posts back :)

Great scene

• Registered Users Posts: 12,142 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

One of the best

• Registered Users Posts: 11,298 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

MadYaker wrote: »
    One of the best

A great character that you really wanted to see conquer his demons and make it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Collie D wrote: »
    A great character that you really wanted to see conquer his demons and make it.

Bubbles made it 1000%. With Steve Earle as his mentor, how could he not ☺

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,179 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Much preferred it to Sopranos as well tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Personally thought it was massively over rated.

Season 4 is the best one and could be watched as a stand alone.

Ah **** off

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Bubbles was an excellent character as was Omar. The show was well written, produced and the cast was top notch. I've watched this show numerous times and I would never rewatch a TV series.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭geecee

it took me 4-5 goes to get past the first scene, but after that I binged the whole thing over a 2 weeks. As others wrote above it takes a while to get into the lingo, but once you have that mastered its a hell of a ride!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

greatest series I've ever watched.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

It’s 17th on the IMDB!!!!’
    There is no question it is in the top five series off all time.
    If anything it is underrated.
    Breaking bad, sopranos, the wire and games of thrones are all In the top 5 .
    The only question after that is people’s own preference of it

This really was a golden age for tv .
    Some great series out these days but nothing has reached the height of these
    Big little lies and true detective first seasons were great the follow ups not so much

• Registered Users Posts: 3,334 ✭✭✭.red.

The only character I ever struggled to understand was Snoop.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,089 ✭✭✭Lavinia

I watched it many years ago, took a while to get used to characters but once you do it consumes you in.
    Id give it 8 out of 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

geecee wrote: »
    it took me 4-5 goes to get past the first scene, but after that I binged the whole thing over a 2 weeks. As others wrote above it takes a while to get into the lingo, but once you have that mastered its a hell of a ride!

Fantastic show, I watched it years ago. I would recommend watching with subtitles though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

.red. wrote: »
    The only character I ever struggled to understand was Snoop.

The only character that I truly disliked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Bowlardo wrote: »
    It’s 17th on the IMDB!!!!’
    There is no question it is in the top five series off all time.
    If anything it is underrated.
    Breaking bad, sopranos, the wire and games of thrones are all In the top 5 .
    The only question after that is people’s own preference of it

This really was a golden age for tv .
    Some great series out these days but nothing has reached the height of these
    Big little lies and true detective first seasons were great the follow ups not so much
    I started with game of thrones. I’m sure it’s good, but I just couldn’t get past the stupid fantasy sh1t. It nearly seemed like scyfy type stuff and for that reason I don’t think it could be even considered a top 5 show.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭trashcan

Cheese. Almost cheered out loud at his fate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

trashcan wrote: »
    Cheese. Almost cheered out loud at his fate.

His.......?????

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Chris was the one character i actively dreamed of inflicting a horribly unspeakable death. Fck, i hated that guy. Snoop at least took her end like a 'man'.

Just could never warm to either Daniels or Pearlman either. Bit too careerist or something.

His.......?????

Cheese. Prop Joe's nephew. Good character, a complete sh1t.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭kksaints

Watched all of the season a few years ago and Seasons 1,3,4 and some of the best TV I've watched. Season 2 is a good bit slower and is considerably different from the others. I used to not like it but I rewatched episodes of it last year and enjoyed it a good bit more 2nd time round. It really gives a good feel for the dockyards and the industrial decline that set in parts of the states since the 70s. Its expertly shot aswell.

The 5th season though I didn't like when I watched it first and didn't like it even after a rewatch. Newspaper storyline doesn't go anywhere and I didn't like the characters. The homeless serial killer storyline is ludicrous and way over the top. The ending is good and gives good closure but the rest of the season I didn't like.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Slim Charles

Same as. Would have preferred her to have got done in by a member of the Barksdale clan.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Slim Charles

His.......?????

I think he read your post as Cheers, rather than cheese!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭trashcan

His.......?????

His fate, i.e, what happened to him in the end. I could give more detail, but I don't want to spoil it if anyone hasn't seen it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

trashcan wrote: »
    His fate, i.e, what happened to him in the end. I could give more detail, but I don't want to spoil it if anyone hasn't seen it.

We're talking about Snoop here aren't we? Snoop's female.

Advertisement