Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XIV - 8,089 in ROI (288 deaths) 1,589 in NI (92 deaths) (10/04) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,209 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Colm Henry said he has no idea where that number came from

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

keynes wrote: »
    A complete joke statistic given we have no idea how many are infected. Another useless "expert", this Nolan, who has already embarrassed himself with his 15000 March stat

Get over yourself, you did see the trajectory that this virus took in Italy? anyone with any grasp of Math unstood what he was saying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Why can't they just mention the number of daily tests conducted...can't be that hard to record

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

DubInMeath wrote: »
    They just said the 51,000 figure was incorrect and they don't know where it came from

Sound. I updated my post on hearing that.

My questions re German tests still stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,764 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    A Dublin politician has posted online that ICUs in the Mater, Beaumont and Connolly are full. Can anyone confirm? (I don't wish to read all the posts in The Daily Blur thread)

If they are full, what now? Consultants start deciding that anyone over 60 doesn't get one when available?

I thought extra ICU capacity was being built?
    Their standard ICU is at capacity, they have extra ICU capacity for overflows.
    Some news and polticians are guilty of scare mongering lately

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Cops need to crack down hard on people travelling this weekend

Selfish

Just wondering are they massaging the figures a little today,not the deaths but the cases which tested positive.Would they have released a much higher number today to try deter people from travelling this weekend,they might do the same again tomorrow.I could be completely wrong,Just a hunch

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Just Saying

At some stage Holohan talked about the German tests. He said somethong like 2300 tests were processed with 400 positives. Is that in total? Or just for today.

Our own NVRL have said they can now only process about 1/3rd of their capacity due to reagent shortage.

I wish the figures were presented in a more clearcut way.

If the 51,000 waiting list is true its clear we are notgoing the right way.

This is all over the place. How can they model based on this?

Totally all over over the place.

George Lee implied on twitter that there could be 1000 new cases from the German test results.There is no mention of it now so I can only assume that they actually have been included in the daily new case figures all along.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

RobertKK wrote: »
    Given we are an island and could have done far more early on with this virus before it became a problem and then a crisis, I think we did really badly early on, the politicians had their eye off the ball as they were concentrated on the general election and fall out, then when things could have been done, it was all left too late.
    It is unfortunate the election was called when it was but it was no excuse for what followed as it most definitely has cost lives, and that is the only thing that matters, we could have saved so many lives if the eye on being on the virus rather than government formation.

The political parties are an absolute disgrace. To think we still only have a caretaking government is unreal.

I really couldn't give a flying rats fcuking arse about what went on in the past and political point scoring with one another. All of the main parties should be getting into government and working together. This is the biggest threat that we have seen in our live times and its going to change us all. They should be doing their best to steer this ship away from the iceberg.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,280 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

51,000 figure is wrong they’ve confirmed

Michael Martin is a snake in the grass.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    A Dublin politician has posted online that ICUs in the Mater, Beaumont and Connolly are full. Can anyone confirm? (I don't wish to read all the posts in The Daily Blur thread)

If they are full, what now? Consultants start deciding that anyone over 60 doesn't get one when available?

I thought extra ICU capacity was being built?

Which Dublin politician is that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,804 ✭✭✭take everything

Has that Keynes poster gone.
    He hasn't answered any of the posts questioning the stuff in his post

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Michael Martin is a snake in the grass.

He has some serious explaining to do after tweeting that figure if it`s fake news.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,313 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

The new cases figures are pretty meaningless.
    They are a direct percentage of the number tested so if they could test the whole country, the cases would be huge.
    Deaths and intensive care cases are where to look and with the death figures, we are doing as well as can be expected.

I think when all this settles down, the biggest scandal will be the numbers dying in nursing homes.
    They really need to get ahead of this in nursing homes by testing staff daily if need be.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,682 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Right to any eijit who thinks they'll do what they normally do at Easter should be named and shamed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

Wolf359f wrote: »
    51,000 waiting, would mean even at the 6.5% positive rate, would be 800 already hospitalized, 120 in ICU on top of what we have. I'm sure they would have noticed that increase.

Somebody said here earlier the testing centres are quiet, not many looking for tests.

Somebody said here yesterday the emergency hospital in UL is being dismantled.

Obviously this may be BS but given the lack of ICU patients it makes sense.

Really need to get the testing sorted, test same number every day and publish results at same daily intervals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Their standard ICU is at capacity, they have extra ICU capacity for overflows.
    Some news and polticians are guilty of scare mongering lately

How much extra ICU capacity for overflows was built?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

owlbethere wrote: »
    The political parties are an absolute disgrace. To think we still only have a caretaking government is unreal.

I really couldn't give a flying rats fcuking arse about what went on in the past and political point scoring with one another. All of the main parties should be getting into government and working together. This is the biggest threat that we have seen in our live times and its going to change us all. They should be doing their best to steer this ship away from the iceberg.

But there is zero chance that SF will go into any government with both FG/FF and vote for difficult measures - the government would last possible 6 months - their policies are so far apart.

We saw this week a SF TD on health - wanting to do a twitter poll/response thing so that she could show the Minister for Health the issues in waiting time - as if he doesn't understand that?

The whole thing is political point scoring - no party will go in with FG/FF because they know it's suicidal - and for the same reason SF don't want to be in government - and there is no alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,639 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Have to also take into account that given the sometimes 14 day wait for test results, the majority of the cases today may in fact be mostly recovered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Which Dublin politician is that?

I'd rather not say. I'm usually a huge fan of them, hence they're the only politician on Socials that I follow

But I'm now less of a fan if the statement they made re; ICUs is hyperbole

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Coyote

Number updated to match today's report

we seem to be stuck in the slow change, which is worrying as that would be 18K cases by the end of the month and overload our ICU
    It's up you everyone how fast this grows if we don't do better than the 8% a day then we are looking at 35K by the end of the month

No Change in number
    508906.PNG

Slow Change
    508907.PNG

Big Drop in numbers
    508908.PNG

if you wait till we are overloaded it's too late

interesting visualization of covid19
    http://91-divoc.com/pages/covid-visualization/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,280 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

He has some serious explaining to do after tweeting that figure if it`s fake news.

He's deleted it since.

What a prick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Just wondering are they massaging the figures a little today,not the deaths but the cases which tested positive.Would they have released a much higher number today to try deter people from travelling this weekend,they might do the same again tomorrow.I could be completely wrong,Just a hunch

They did say they’d add the German test results into the figures during the week. Maybe that’s what they’re doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,764 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

easypazz wrote: »
    Somebody said here earlier the testing centres are quiet, not many looking for tests.

Somebody said here yesterday the emergency hospital in UL is being dismantled.

Obviously this may be BS but given the lack of ICU patients it makes sense.

Really need to get the testing sorted, test same number every day and publish results at same daily intervals.

I understand the fustrating with the testing. Even Germany took over a month to scale up testing.
    I don't think the government are going solely on testing results, they are more focused in hospital and ICU admissions. Even we didn't test a single person, we would still have the same number of people in ICU etc...

This is gonna be like y2k. If people don't see a disaster they will think it was all worthless going though the lockdowns etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭woohoo!!!

My guess is that the total on the test list is 51k of which around 45k have been processed in the lab (I saw a figure of over 43k for yesterday), so about 6k waiting and some of those are with the German labs.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,639 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

woohoo!!! wrote: »
    My guess is that the total on the test list is 51k of which around 45k have been processed in the lab (I saw a figure of over 43k for yesterday), do about 6k waiting and some of those are with the German labs.

I think this makes most sense

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 345 ✭✭Tea Shock

thebaz wrote: »
    and for all those wanting more extereme lockdowns - look at Sweden - where they are just asking its citizens to behave like adults, and social distance , and keep some form of normality and economy running - just saying, as ther are going to be a lot more secondary casualities from this crisis - the economic casualties and ensuing mental health avalanche and people with other illnesses that are not getting treated, forgotten casualities.

I don't understand your point

Sweden has a far higher death rate per head than we've had.

They're hardly what should be copied.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

I understand the fustrating with the testing. Even Germany took over a month to scale up testing.
    I don't think the government are going solely on testing results, they are more focused in hospital and ICU admissions. Even we didn't test a single person, we would still have the same number of people in ICU etc...

This is gonna be like y2k. If people don't see a disaster they will think it was all worthless going though the lockdowns etc...

I don't think so, we've seen how bad other countries are getting it and I think most people now get it.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,794 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

It's so Irish, ffs can they not stick to what they said they'd do
    Why could they not simply say what they could do in the first place. They were not even caveating the figures they were throwing out a few weeks ago. All they had to do was say, we can take 1,500 swabs a day and hope to increase that to 5,000 or whatever, and we can deliver 750 test results a day, but hope to increase that to 2,000 (as they still seem to be struggling to get that many). That avoids a backlash in places like this.

Consistently they have been using terminology that leave them wiggle room, but it comes across as almost deception. All they have to do is be honest. If they can't produce the information, say so, and say what they hope to do to address it (if anything)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

mortality went from 3.87% to 4%

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Ace2007 wrote: »
    Is Sweden counting nursing home deaths in their numbers?

I have no idea - but ther is discrepancies in nearly all the data including our own- just outlining ther is alternatives to extreme lockdown, that many here are pushing - south Korea have it pretty much under control and they never went into lockdown - just really fear for the secondary casualties (such as in these reports today:-

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/09/coronavirus-could-push-half-a-billion-people-into-poverty-oxfam-warns

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-52236936

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement