Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Season 1 is weird to watch, mostly for the slightly creepy "Boyle lusts for Diaz" plots. Glad it got binned fairly sharply; Boyle's meant to be a bit weird, but that always pushed it too far IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,545 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Yeah Boyle's supposed to be a sympathetic weirdo but that plot line made him into a total creep. I like that not only did they put it to bed early but they also pulled a complete 180 on the Boyle/Rosa dynamic and now they're one of the closest friendships on the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭joeguevara

pixelburp wrote: »
    Season 1 is weird to watch, mostly for the slightly creepy "Boyle lusts for Diaz" plots. Glad it got binned fairly sharply; Boyle's meant to be a bit weird, but that always pushed it too far IMO.

I loved the Boyle Gina storyline. Diaz and Pimento were definitely my favourite. Every character is so strong.

The one thing I find slightly uncomfortable is Jake and Boyle. Jake treats him badly most of the time and he prefers Doug Judie. The more I watch it Jake is my least favourote character even though he is hilarious.

I also find it strange that Diaz is so hot in it but in Modern Family isn’t.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

pixelburp wrote: »

I always wondered was that done deliberately in the beginning so they could address how creepy it was a little bit down the line, or did it just take them a while to see it themselves and fix it.

I always wondered was that done deliberately in the beginning so they could address how creepy it was a little bit down the line, or did it just take them a while to see it themselves and fix it.

They did a short podcast series recently where they talked about the making of the show and they mentioned how it just took them a while to get some characters right. They also tried Jake as a bit of a playboy in the first half of Season 1 and then cut that short. With Boyle I think they just realised the trope of "guy who just wont take 'no' for an answer" just isn't funny and raises all sorts of problems, especially in a workplace setting.

• Advertisement

I think characters develop organically and this changes direction. Take Big Bang for example. Sheldon became the integral character very quickly whereas Howard was probably expected to be where the focus was.

I didn’t think it was creepy and could have worked. Similar to nerdy Ross and femme fatale Rachel in friends. But there was no chemistry really and would have changed both characters too much.

joeguevara wrote: »
    I think characters develop organically and this changes direction. Take Big Bang for example. Sheldon became the integral character very quickly whereas Howard was probably expected to be where the focus was.

I didn’t think it was creepy and could have worked. Similar to nerdy Ross and femme fatale Rachel in friends. But there was no chemistry really and would have changed both characters too much.

I don't think you can underestimate how much things have changed between Friends and now. The persistent "nice guy" from the 80s and 90s was basically just a stalker who wore down the girl's resistance over time and it was sold as romantic. Also, to be fair to Friends, Ross was pretty much secretly in love with Rachel in the early days, and by the time she found out he liked her the feelings were mutual. So not really the same scenario as Boyle/Rosa.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

Brooklyn 99 has never been one for extreme continuity, I'm still annoyed that Peralta has at different points in the show been both a Nets fan and a Knicks fan :p

Before we meet Kevin we actually met his brother, the top Orthodontist in the quad-state area in season 1 - the guy is never mentioned again

Before we meet Kevin we actually met his brother, the top Orthodontist in the quad-state area in season 1 - the guy is never mentioned again

Yeah there's lots of little things, there's a gag about Holt starting to love high fives in one episode and then a couple seasons later he talks about hating high fives. None of it matters in the slightest but it's fun to notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Jin luk

Caliphate is a good watch,

Anyone anymore suggestions on more nordic european made movies and tv shows thats in english

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Really enjoyed Tiger King,truly fascinating.

What a collection of unpleasant characters in a despicable industry.

John Reinke,Saffy and Erik were the only people with any decency.

Yeah there's lots of little things, there's a gag about Holt starting to love high fives in one episode and then a couple seasons later he talks about hating high fives. None of it matters in the slightest but it's fun to notice.

I think Brooklyn nine nine is one of the best modern comedies. Not as good as Always Sunny but still excellent. The thing that annoys me every time I watch it though is that Hitchcock and Scully are not included at the end of the opening credits when all the others are walking down a street. Two of them are up there with the funniest characters and should be included. I realise it’s a tiny thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Dark Light
    Implicated in her daughter's disappearance, a mother searches for answers when she returns to an old family home that may have an unwanted visitor

Added

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭JoeExotic81

Unorthodox

Fascinating 4 part mini series about a girl trying to break away from the Orthodox Jewish community. The actress who plays Esty is brilliant!

The Decline

French Canadian movie about a group of preppers training, which goes horribly wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭appledrop

Well I watched a Golden Oldie last night.

Coming to America!

I cant tell you how much I enjoyed it. It was one of my favourites back in day but haven't watched it in years.

The perfect way to escape everything cornavirus related.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Unorthodox

Fascinating 4 part mini series about a girl trying to break away from the Orthodox Jewish community. The actress who plays Esty is brilliant!

The Decline

French Canadian movie about a group of preppers training, which goes horribly wrong.

Unorthodox is a fantastic watch so well done and interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

I just noticed Netflix has Heavy Metal, a mental 1981 animated sci-fi fantasy that seems to have been made with all of the cocaine. Reitman, Dan O'Bannon and other big names involved. It's very impressive visually, and has a fantastic rock soundtrack from loads of great bands.
    I think Brooklyn nine nine is one of the best modern comedies. Not as good as Always Sunny but still excellent. The thing that annoys me every time I watch it though is that Hitchcock and Scully are not included at the end of the opening credits when all the others are walking down a street. Two of them are up there with the funniest characters and should be included. I realise it’s a tiny thing.
    I love the occasional flashbacks to the two of them in the 80s, slim and capable. There's a whole episode hung around it in season 6 which is great fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭munster87

I realise it’s a tiny thing.

Title of your sex tape

• Registered Users Posts: 8,574 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Watched season 6 of B99 on Friday, pretty good overall I thought, i do enjoy the exchanges between Holt and Wuntch

PsychoPete wrote: »
    Watched season 6 of B99 on Friday, pretty good overall I thought, i do enjoy the exchanges between Holt and Wuntch

I love all the recurring characters like Wuntch, and Doug Judy. Some of them are better developed than the main characters on other shows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,574 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

I love all the recurring characters like Wuntch, and Doug Judy. Some of them are better developed than the main characters on other shows.

Cheddar is by far the best of those

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

I found Locke and Key to be not my thing at all and checked out after 3 episodes.

Agreed. There is a lot of stuff on Netflix like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,297 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

The Big Show Show season 1
    Former WWE wrestler the Big Show is out of the ring and ready for an even tougher challenge: raising three daughters with his wife in Florida.

added

• Registered Users Posts: 17 sheep26

I know this is old school but I think its a classic

• Registered Users Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

sheep26 wrote: »
    I know this is old school but I think its a classic

So much wrong with that sentence

• Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭McGrath5

The Leisure Seeker.

A funny and often sad tale of an elderly couple who embark on a road trip across America in a old camper van to see Ernest Hemingway's home in Key West, Florida.

Well recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭budgemook

Stopped watching Tiger King after 4 episodes - not for me, it’s just so trashy. It’s like watching a story from The Sun over 8 episodes.

There was a guy on the Dave Fanning show yesterday talking about it who echoed my thoughts on it pretty well. Worth a listen.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,095 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

TBH I feel the same way about most of Netflix’s true crime viral hits - they can hit a particular trashy dopamine receptor, but always feel they’re pretty exploitative and tabloid-y. Although to be fair that’s the case for most true crime stories regardless of format. I’ve seen one episode of Tiger King and it definitely fits into that category.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

How to fix a drug scandal is a really good watch.

Advertisement