Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it just me or have SF vanished?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,323 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Funny Blanch has described himself/herself as a Green supporter yet a recent thread asking what next for the Greens guess who is missing in the comments. I described the poster in question as one of the most disingenuous posters on Boards. I don't think I was exaggerating.

That thread is a disaster and I am avoiding it, as for the rest, post whatever personal attack you like.

Runaways wrote: »
    Anyone with eyes can see that.
    The absolute obsession with replying to posts that mention Sinn Fein wherever they’re may be, is enough though.
    Still convinced the myth is true. If you stand in front of a mirror at midnight and say Sinn Fein, three times, blanch will appear behind you and start ranting :)

I think yourself and at least another poster post much more frequently on Sinn Fein threads than I do, but then what do you care for facts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

blanch152 wrote: »
    That thread is a disaster and I am avoiding it, as for the rest, post whatever personal attack you like.

I think yourself and at least another poster post much more frequently on Sinn Fein threads than I do, but then what do you care for facts?

Your old account was more entertaining, although I find 'debunked' missing from your lexicon disappointing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

You’re consistent and committed and I can respect that much even if we don’t agree.

You’re consistent and committed and I can respect that much even if we don’t agree.

How can you respect someone who is a confirmed liar? Serious question.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Let’s be fair and get back to before this when they were asked to implement a rent freeze.

It wasn’t for the common good according to them and going by the constitution so they said no.

Rents skyrocketing constantly and nobody able to afford them..so how is it that not against the common good?

Berlin of all places introduced rent freezes.
    And bizarrely it would have been a badly needed and massive boost for FGs standing with the public had they done it.

But they didn’t. So why? And who’s really benefitting? I’ll tell you. The multiple property owning landlord class that FG depend on. And that’s a minority compared to the numbers renting obviously but how politically stupid or just arrogant do you have to be to be cosying up to the few and not the many?

I know that’s more FFs game but still

Rents in rent pressure zones can only be increased by 4% per annum so to say they are sky rocketing is not true, not being able to afford them is a different matter and a rent freeze wouldn’t help that.

Also in most countries that has introduced it has led to a shortage of supply and higher rents for new renters.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-47028342

• Advertisement

How can you respect someone who is a confirmed liar? Serious question.

Ah I just admire commitment even if it’s wrong.
    We’ve elected governments for a hundred years that do the same.
    Imagine blanch or any of the other finnerbots put their minds and energy to such uses?
    It could be wonderful or appalling.

Ah I just admire commitment even if it’s wrong.
    We’ve elected governments for a hundred years that do the same.
    Imagine blanch or any of the other finnerbots put their minds and energy to such uses?
    It could be wonderful or appalling.

Ah maybe it's just me but I can't find respect for a liar no matter the circumstances.

joeguevara wrote: »
    Rents in rent pressure zones can only be increased by 4% per annum so to say they are sky rocketing is not true, not being able to afford them is a different matter and a rent freeze wouldn’t help that.

Also in most countries that has introduced it has led to a shortage of supply and higher rents for new renters.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-47028342

Wasn’t aware of that thank you.
    Not being able to afford the rent or market rate and escalating rents do happen despite the RPZ rules. I live in stoneybatter in D7 trust me. I’ve seen it going mental and continues to despite there being law against it. Seats to say it is in all urban areas.

They could and should have tackled it. Mortgage interest rates aren’t rising. Landlords are just being greedy and herd mentality ‘well everyone else is doing it’
    That’s all there is to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Nitrogan

What's a Finnerbot?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Eh no, they started to talk with other parties, but it went nowhere, absolutely nowhere.

Ehhhhhh No. The reason the talks didn't go any further is because FFG had already counted themselves out. Making a functional government not really possible. To say otherwise is incorrect. We will see in the coming weeks. Should be fun.

• Advertisement

I know a few people in Fg locally. None in FF. But the thinking is nobody wants near government for the aftermath. I’d say that’s a common thought throughout both parties.

SF might just be the ideal party going by the fears expressed here.

In any recession the correct thing to do is government spend like crazy on all fronts to right the wheel and it always works.

We never seemed to learn that here.

Might be time for it.

Wasn’t aware of that thank you.
    Not being able to afford the rent or market rate and escalating rents do happen despite the RPZ rules. I live in stoneybatter in D7 trust me. I’ve seen it going mental and continues to despite there being law against it. Seats to say it is in all urban areas.

They could and should have tackled it. Mortgage interest rates aren’t rising. Landlords are just being greedy and herd mentality ‘well everyone else is doing it’
    That’s all there is to it.

Existing properties can’t escalate their prices more than 4% and easy to check on PRTB sites, unless major renovations. New properties coming on can charge market rates. Stoneybatter is one of the most sought after areas in inner city. I do agree that rents are high and it is a huge burden on people. But the proposal to put a rent freeze won’t help and has been shown in previous link can cause rents to increase and reduction of supply.

Existing properties can’t escalate their prices more than 4% and easy to check on PRTB sites, unless major renovations. New properties coming on can charge market rates. Stoneybatter is one of the most sought after areas in inner city. I do agree that rents are high and it is a huge burden on people. But the proposal to put a rent freeze won’t help and has been shown in previous link can cause rents to increase and reduction of supply.

I hear you but I’m telling you just cos there’s RPZ rules in place does not mean they’re being adhered to. They’re really not. I’ve had mates in Smithfield evicted for nonsense made up reasons (landlord wants family member to move in being the most frequent and really only legitimate way to evict cleanly) only to see the very same apartment appear on daft days after they’ve left at a massive mark up. This isn’t suddenly it’s been happening to the last few years! So i know this area isn’t a paradigm but it probably is for all urban centers

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭threeball

I hear you but I’m telling you just cos there’s RPZ rules in place does not mean they’re being adhered to. They’re really not. I’ve had mates in Smithfield evicted for nonsense made up reasons (landlord wants family member to move in being the most frequent and really only legitimate way to evict cleanly) only to see the very same apartment appear on daft days after they’ve left at a massive mark up. This isn’t suddenly it’s been happening to the last few years! So i know this area isn’t a paradigm but it probably is for all urban centers

If thats the case report them. The laws are there, you hardly expect the government to come knocking on a landlords door after reading the rentals section on daft.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,367 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I don't get and have never got the idea of 'stepping up to govern, no matter what'.

To me anyone who says they wouldn't touch a government with 57 varieties of independents with a barge pole is doing the correct thing.

If an election is not conclusive, the correct thing to do is go again, it is the most stable and probably the cheapest thing to do in the long run.

And forming a government should be time-limited.
    Party's huffing and puffing trying to see what way the land lies or trying to manipulate outcomes should be discouraged from doing it.
    The age of cute hoorism should be put behind us.

I don't get and have never got the idea of 'stepping up to govern, no matter what'.

To me anyone who says they wouldn't touch a government with 57 varieties of independents with a barge pole is doing the correct thing.

If an election is not conclusive, the correct thing to do is go again, it is the most stable and probably the cheapest thing to do in the long run.

And forming a government should be time-limited.
    Party's huffing and puffing trying to see what way the land lies or trying to manipulate outcomes should be discouraged from doing it.
    The age of cute hoorism should be put behind us.

But why exaggerate when it’s not the case. Every Sinn Fein supporter has been saying that FF and FG are identical. The nine regional independents would be FF or FG if they had to claim a party. So basically according to every SF supporter you have a stable government with all the same outlook.

But why exaggerate when it’s not the case. Every Sinn Fein supporter has been saying that FF and FG are identical. The nine regional independents would be FF or FG if they had to claim a party. So basically according to every SF supporter you have a stable government with all the same outlook.

And the people who see Independents as a waste of a vote because they are essentially there to look for favoritism for one issue or region would disagree.

I am not 'exageratting'.

A government made up of many different views is inherently more unstable.

Also the issue of a time limited, no cute hoorism, no game playing process.

'Here's the lie of the land after the election...what do you propose to do?'

1, 'We are happy to go into opposition' - 'Ok, off you go'.

2. 'We want time to talk to X, Y, Z about forming a government'. - 'Ok you have a calendar month to do it'.

None of them want in government to deal with the aftermath and having to make serious cuts and hard calls. I think that’s apparent to all of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Do you seriously think an election will give us a party with a majority?
    We will still have FF FG and SF perhaps with different seat numbers.
    Parties completely correct if they dont want to deal with any other particular party.

Edgware wrote: »
    Do you serioysly think an election will give us a party with a majority?
    Parties completely correct if they dont want to deal with any other particular party.

Now is not the time for that nonsense but here we are.
    A serious crisis calls for national interest first. Not petty childish squabbles ‘I’m not playing with them’
    They’re all going to face the music when it comes to it.

• Advertisement

But all is going to happen is SF are going to dismantle their support base on a local level and take at least 5 or 6 of those seats??

Like i know lads might not be keen on SF in government,but it shows a large amount of political.naiviety on behalf of martin and varadkar,not to put them.into minister offices and strave the beast,

Let SF carry the can then for poor performance due to lack of funds (though i suspect mary-lou would be too astute to let this happen and would walk out??)

But all is going to happen is SF are going to dismantle their support base on a local level and take at least 5 or 6 of those seats??

Like i know lads might not be keen on SF in government,but it shows a large amount of political.naiviety on behalf of martin and varadkar,not to put them.into minister offices and strave the beast,

Let SF carry the can then for poor performance due to lack of funds (though i suspect mary-lou would be too astute to let this happen and would walk out??)

No about turn would work now.

FF/FG might be stupid enough to try and put SF in now, but that would be as transparent as the 'we want to go into opposition' cute hoorism was.

The refusal to take questions now is worrying.
    Where even are they? You can piss and moan about SF in the papers or on radio.

FG and Leo in particular nowhere to be seen

Edgware wrote: »
    Do you serioysly think an election will give us a party with a majority?

I never said that and actually the opposite. I said no need for an election and ff FG and the 9 independents would be pretty stable

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

They are not supposed to be, just NEPHT/CMO team. All the government do at present is provide more details on what they are being advised. Any new government would be no different in their visibility for now. The financial/social aspect has been addressed for now, with the approval of all other parties. Varadkar has said they are all being kept apart from each other.

I never said that and actually the opposite. I said no need for an election and ff FG and the 9 independents would be pretty stable

Can't see any of them wanting another election anyhow.

SF's support could easily be back to their local election levels by May. FG look tired and FF need to replace Martin.

FF, despite the perception on here are actually in fairly strong health at grassroots but don't think Martin can translate that into TD's.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

The current circumstances suggest it might but there is no harm in adding an extra political block to that.

And the people who see Independents as a waste of a vote because they are essentially there to look for favoritism for one issue or region would disagree.

I am not 'exageratting'.

A government made up of many different views is inherently more unstable.

Also the issue of a time limited, no cute hoorism, no game playing process.

'Here's the lie of the land after the election...what do you propose to do?'

1, 'We are happy to go into opposition' - 'Ok, off you go'.

2. 'We want time to talk to X, Y, Z about forming a government'. - 'Ok you have a calendar month to do it'.

All the independents received enough votes to be elected. Of course they have affinity with their constituency but so does every politician.

FF and FG said they will have a government document early next week and looking for a third part. The Indepentents seem ready to commit and are well known to both parties.

I don’t know where you came up with the calendar month from. Also there won’t be an opportunity for another election for a good while. Why you putting them under so much pressure. It will happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Sultan_of_Ping

So people are complaining about Varadkar doing photo-ops, and now are complaining about him being nowhere to be seen?

Which is it lads?

• Advertisement

All the independents received enough votes to be elected. Of course they have affinity with their constituency but so does every politician.

FF and FG said they will have a government document early next week and looking for a third part. The Indepentents seem ready to commit and are well known to both parties.

I don’t know where you came up with the calendar month from. Also there won’t be an opportunity for another election for a good while. Why you putting them under so much pressure. It will happen.

They are 'independents' for a reason. Namely, that they cannot survive politically 'in' a party.

One or two of them maybe...but the more you have the more unstable things become. Not to mention, the more it costs to maintain/keep them onside. More 'Shame Ross parish pump shennanigans that only belittles politics'.

Instead of getting rid of cute hoorism, you are endorsing and encouraging it.

The 'month' was just to propose the idea of some fixed time constraints to focus minds.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement