Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Love/Hate (v2) [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,171 ✭✭✭irishchris

Forgot to mention Dano, also dead. Or maybe not! I would not rule out Nidge yet. The real world Gilligan survived a similar shooting. It really is up to Tom if he wants to reprise the role. BUT we need a new Love/Hate series, preferably with Nidge.

Tom (nidge) was interviewed not long after the finale of the last season on today FM and confirmed he loved being part of the show and will miss it now that he is definitely dead. Show writer thanked him for his years of service and said most likely scenario would be Patrick's control now of the underworld and that Fran would be back. In saying that he also confirmed he hadnt started writing any of the script yet other than the outline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

CatFromHue wrote: »
    In a way the show has just been about Nidge, Rise of the Foot Soldier and all that, so with him and his gang all gone I just don't know how they can start again.

A whole new gang is a different show and would be tricky to pull off too, could be a recipe for disaster.

Love/Hate was ultimately about the rise and fall of Nidge though initially it was focused on Darren. Tom, and all the cast were great and it was a great series that has not been equaled before or since on RTE.

The series has left a major gap that has not been filled. Last year saw Clean Break which was okay but nothing near as good as Love/Hate. Later we got Rebellion and again was okay but nothing near Love/Hate. While other series seemed to have restraint inbuilt into them, Love/Hate decided to present us with gangland culture and its violence to the fore. It gave us the grim, depressing reality of this world where people start out happy and rich but end up depressed, stressed and either dead, in prison, on the run or brain dead. Far from glorifying this world, Love/Hate showed us that this world always ends in tears. By the final episode, I would not want to be one of the characters in it bar Mick Moynihan or the other Gardai. Or maybe Big Balls or Tony.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

irishchris wrote: »
    Tom (nidge) was interviewed not long after the finale of the last season on today FM and confirmed he loved being part of the show and will miss it now that he is definitely dead. Show writer thanked him for his years of service and said most likely scenario would be Patrick's control now of the underworld and that Fran would be back. In saying that he also confirmed he hadnt started writing any of the script yet other than the outline.

Nidge was an excellent character. Tom probably does not want to reprise the role but it would be great if he did of course. I'd love to see Fran the man as the gang leader too and him and his ally Patrick up against Terence Big Balls May would make a great series 6. Ado, Elmo, Pottsie and Tony are still there too of course and could be brought back into the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

I forgot how good this was. Back on RTE player.

"Whats this the f**kin magical mystery tour"

• Registered Users Posts: 18,582 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

I'm watching it again on RTÉ player.
    And it's every bit as good as it was the first time around.

One of the best Irish drama productions ever.

• Advertisement

It was a good show alright but it was going downhill in seasons 4 and 5.

It certainly became more violent in the latter seasons.
    I've just finished season 2.
    Hope to get through 3 tonight.

Pity Carolan doesn't write a one off special as a follow up.
    See where Fran, Tommy and Trish are now.
    Even bring back Mary Tracey and Rosie.
    Lots of scope seeing that Nidge Wiesel is a goner.
    Or is he...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭zig

Just finished it recently again coincidentally. What a show.
    It was a good show alright but it was going downhill in seasons 4 and 5.

I thought these were just as good if not better to be honest. Introduction of Paulie, more with Patrick, the guards etc. I thought it got more realistic too and was far less romanticized. Ah they were all great seasons to be honest!! :D

It certainly became more violent in the latter seasons.
    I've just finished season 2.
    Hope to get through 3 tonight.

Pity Carolan doesn't write a one off special as a follow up.
    Or is he...

He should do a love/hate 2.0
    New characters and a new storyline.

He could explore more how gangs operate behind bars and a proper gang war with rival gangs.

I do like how the show ultimately shows that gang life generally doesn't end well.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,379 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Or is he...
    If Fran is still alive, he's probably in and out of psychiatric institutions, heavily sedated and a shadow of his former self.

Tommy is in a nursing home being tube fed. Unloved and unvisited and waiting to die. In his semi conscious moments has hazy memories of a woman he once loved. Sometimes she has dark hair, sometimes red and he can't recall her name. He has no awareness or recollection of being a farther. Sometimes he says "Darren" and smiles.

Mary has set up a community group of mother's against gangs and gives talks in schools about the fate of her two brothers as a cautionary tale ( but drinks a bottle of wine at night to numb the pain and forget how Darren "helped " her when she had a bit of a stalker problem.

Trish has come down in the world, CAB took everything so now she and the boys are living in a hotel waiting for a council house. She's hit the sauce hard and seriously let herself go. No more acrylics and extensions and clothes all are now from Penny's.

Rosie's doing materially well for herself in Canada or Oz. She will never truly get over Darren and is achingly lonely as a result but pushes all men away as she can't trust them. Darren's paradoxical personality of gentle murderer has permanently damaged her ability to form a romantic bond with any man.

Happily ever after, folks.

• Advertisement

I do like how the show ultimately shows that gang life generally doesn't end well.

I agree.

So far in first 2 seasons I've seen
    Robbie Tracey shot by Hughie Power, just because -let's face it, Hughie was missing a few grey cells.
    Elmo shot accidentally by Darren Tracey, but he survived.
    Stumpy beaten by Darren, cos he'd assaulted Rosie during her pregnancy.

Jimmy Byrne shot by Hughie, again, because Hughie was itching to kill him cos he was top suspect in Robbie shooting-a rumour started by Hughie, despite Hughie having already killed Robbie himself. :rolleyes:

Hughie fatally shot in head by self. Accidentally, of course, seeing as he couldn't possibly have done it successfully had it been deliberate.

Darren shot by Stumpy- personal revenge, Darren survived.
    Stumpy killed by Darren on orders of John Boy Power.
    Fran attempted murder of John Boy cos a drug deal went wrong.
    Fran's wife Linda suffered horrific facial injuries in pipe bomb attack on her home, Nidge threw it, JBP ordered it-Linda took her own life afterwards as she couldn't live with the disfigurement.

Darren ordered to kill Aido but Nidge side tracked him and ordered him to kill John Boy instead.
    Aido kneecapped.
    And the swan, poor swan killed by Luke, one of the more disturbing scenes in L/H

And 3 more seasons to go.
    Oh to be an undertaker in Dublin.
    Not.

I’m rewatching season 3.

Does anybody know where the pub that Git got killed in is located?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,943 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

bazermc wrote: »
    I’m rewatching season 3.

Does anybody know where the pub that Git got killed in is located?

Isn't that the one on the south quays beside Guinness's, on the corner of Watling St? Can't remember what it was called but it's been closed up for a long time, I think they resurrected it for the filming.

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Isn't that the one on the south quays beside Guinness's, on the corner of Watling St? Can't remember what it was called but it's been closed up for a long time, I think they resurrected it for the filming.

Thanks. But that’s not the one I was thinking of.

That pub is the one that was owned by Git and dano (the Napier Tandy). the pub where he raped Siobhán and was Murdered was one where the Nidge and gang use to hangout. I think they called it the Sheebean on the show.

I'm watching it again on RTÉ player. ............

I rely on Virgin on demand RTE player and can't seem to see Love Hate available to view on it?
    I have it on DVD in my Dad's house alright but I've no DVD player in my own place.

Augeo wrote: »
    I rely on Virgin on demand RTE player and can't seem to see Love Hate available to view on it?
    I have it on DVD in my Dad's house alright but I've no DVD player in my own place.

I watch it on the app on my phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,422 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

ixus wrote: »
    "I can see it now, Tommy, Nidge & Fran all wake up in a room together. One brain, one heart and one arse transplant. All donated by Siobhan." - Facebook gold

Aaron to seek revenge for his Ma.

I believe his name is Arrrrdin

... ...

Just finished watching thru this on RTE Player for the first time since the show aired. Fúcking great show.

Had good fun reading thru the pages-and-pages today from when episodes aired live.

I'll leave you with my favourite clip from the show:

'We will in our brown, we'll go as we are. Sure if it wasn't for me, Nidge would be getting married in some gaff by the Red Cow roundabout.'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭dball

seems to be back on rte player (maybe it was always there) i never watched it before so ill start this weekend.

https://www.rte.ie/player/series/love-hate/SI0000000982?epguid=IP000053834&seasonguid=76851240067

• Registered Users Posts: 81,645 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I'd rather dip my eyes in acid than use RTE Player to watch anything, it's pure torture.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭dball

oh yeah, i forgot about that part, you're right - not worth it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,762 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

I've watched love/hate on the player, it's been there a long time AFAIK.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 2,864 ✭✭✭De Bhál

I watched it for the first time a over the Christmas. Used the RTE Player for the first season, it's tough going with that, what with the ads.
    Thankfully a chap I work with brought me in the DVD boxset. So much easier

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Does anyone know when this is likely to air? And far more importantly, will they be airing it with the original epic soundtrack as opposed to the DVD versions where they couldn't get the rights to the music they originally used?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,645 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Does anyone know when this is likely to air? And far more importantly, will they be airing it with the original epic soundtrack as opposed to the DVD versions where they couldn't get the rights to the music they originally used?

Perhaps they will shortly reshow it seeing as they are showing repeats of stuff on prime time that was shown on prime time a few months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Perhaps they will shortly reshow it seeing as they are showing repeats of stuff on prime time that was shown on prime time a few months ago.

They've officially announced a re-air, just no date, the feckers :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭blackbox

I'd rather dip my eyes in acid than use RTE Player to watch anything, it's pure torture.

Remarkably, it works reasonably well on my LG television.

I don't know why it is so bad on a Windows PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,503 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

dball wrote: »
    seems to be back on rte player (maybe it was always there) i never watched it before so ill start this weekend.

https://www.rte.ie/player/series/love-hate/SI0000000982?epguid=IP000053834&seasonguid=76851240067

I think RTE should air it again, was it ever repeated?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I've watched love/hate on the player, it's been there a long time AFAIK.
    It'd want to be there a long time for the player to start working. Did you finish the first episode yet? Still buffering, or just ads and crash?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,979 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

They should do a new season or even a 2 episode special

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85,503 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

PTH2009 wrote: »
    They should do a new season or even a 2 episode special

A prequel film with all would be good

Advertisement