Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Love/Hate (v2) [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Has there been any update at all on the status of season 6? All the news stories I've found talk about the US version, not a peep about the Irish one for several months

EDIT: Spoke too soon :(
    http://www.goss.ie/2015/05/stuart-carolan-ive-no-energy-to-do-another-series-of-lovehate/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

Has there been any update at all on the status of season 6? All the news stories I've found talk about the US version, not a peep about the Irish one for several months

EDIT: Spoke too soon :(
    http://www.goss.ie/2015/05/stuart-carolan-ive-no-energy-to-do-another-series-of-lovehate/

Rte said it wasn't coming back this year

http://www.thejournal.ie/lovehate-sixth-season-1782681-Nov2014/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

EDIT: Spoke too soon
    http://www.goss.ie/2015/05/stuart-ca...s-of-lovehate/
    Last edited by hatrickpatrick; Today at 23:04.

I know there is nothing this year but I hope we get Love/Hate back in the near future. Stuart did not rule it out in what he says: just he wants to take a rest for now. A gap of a few years may well aid where the story goes: Fran out of prison on a technicality, Tommy recovered and possibly even Nidge surviving a la John Gilligan.

The focus at present seems to be on an Old IRA drama for the 100th anniversary of 1916 written by the guy who wrote the Charlie Haughey drama. It should be decent. I also would hope some of the Love/Hate cast are in it as it would be perfect. Along with the more obvious ones (TVL, Peter Coonan, Charly Murphy, etc.), I'd like to see Jason Barry in particular reprising his role as a tough IRA man.

But what will be on Sunday nights in October-November this year?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I think I'd be happier if it didn't come back.

Nidge can't survive, he was shot too badly and they already pulled that trick with Darren for season 2.
    Tommy hasn't been a functional criminal since season 3, was it?
    Fran I don't know, but he has killed his own gang and without Nidge he's nothing.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    I think I'd be happier if it didn't come back.

Nidge can't survive, he was shot too badly and they already pulled that trick with Darren for season 2.
    Tommy hasn't been a functional criminal since season 3, was it?
    Fran I don't know, but he has killed his own gang and without Nidge he's nothing.

Certainly, the first 5 seasons have been wrapped up neatly in season 5. But I'd love a season 6. But maybe a lot of the original actors in it will not be available for it is one issues. Nidge is shot too badly but there is a chance he could survive albeit he would not be the active man we see in series 1 to 5. John Gilligan did survive something similar.

Tommy was in and out of poor health for season 4 and was in a coma for all season 5. Even in the first 3, he was never the hardened criminal others were and this is why the cops look on him kindly as well. As far as I know, Tommy never killed anyone in it? He attempted to kill Fran reluctantly for John Boy but fails and he kicked rapist Git to an inch of his life but it was Darren who killed him (Siobhan blames Nidge later for Darren's handiwork with the keg!). For Tommy to be revived out of his coma, you do need Nidge alive as well. Nidge has caused directly and indirectly all Tommy's problems.

Likewise, Fran. Fran's motivation in a new series is revenge against those who raped him. Of course, he knows Noelie did this but because of Nidge. Same with Patrick. Or Siobhan if she survives.

So, I think if there is a season 6, it will have to have Nidge in it or not have it at all. One could have a spinoff show focusing on Patrick and Terence with a new set of characters and Fran in it too (possibly wrapping up the Noelie revenge akin to how Lizzie gets her end in series 5). And it is right to take a break to get this in order if that is to be.

But if we are not to have Love/Hate or a spinoff under a new name, we do want to see another quality crime drama written by someone like Carolan. And not some poor reality TV or Week in Politics style fare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,016 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Just leave it now, everyone is dead, or in jail. The show is forgotten about now and had a fantastic ending. An Irish masterpiece of television, why bring it back and risk ruining it?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

The show was pretty much about Nidge's rise to power, it's his show. He's gone now so that's the end of the show.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    The show was pretty much about Nidge's rise to power, it's his show. He's gone now so that's the end of the show.
    Just leave it now, everyone is dead, or in jail. The show is forgotten about now and had a fantastic ending. An Irish masterpiece of television, why bring it back and risk ruining it?

The Love/Hate as we know it probably ends with series 5. It was a great series and inspired us to believe in good Irish drama. In an age of bland chatshows, depressing political debate shows, etc., Love/Hate was the real deal. Quality TV and a masterpiece.

I can see the argument for not having another series. But I hope that its legacy is kept and that Sunday TV does not as said revert back to bad political debates, reality programmes and/or sticking on films we saw 100s of times before.

One thing Irish TV has not done is a quality cop show. This clearly is the way a new drama with roots in Love/Hate can emerge. The new show could feature Mick Moynihan and co tackling new gangs possibly including some of the remnants of the old Love/Hate gangs. Call it a new name and you could go 1 of 2 ways: have a continuous story a la Love/Hate or have standalone episodes with the cops dealing with a new crime each week. I'd have it in the style of the darker Miami Vice episodes with a good deal of tension, violence and twists.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Skullface McGubbin

rob316 wrote: »

Agreed. It would be like Breaking Bad continuing without Walter White.

I hope there will be more decent homegrown stuff in the future but it will be a long time before we see anything from RTE in the same league as Love/Hate.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,937 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

start again .....new show new gang ....just like in real life....i'd even allow them resurrect dead cast members

• Advertisement

Agreed. It would be like Breaking Bad continuing without Walter White.

I hope there will be more decent homegrown stuff in the future but it will be a long time before we see anything from RTE in the same league as Love/Hate.

Love/Hate as in what we have had sans Nidge would not work any more than Breaking Bad sans Walter White. All the storylines are based around Nidge and having Nidge dead means most of the stories are dead too.

Love/Hate changed out expectations for Irish drama completely. Agreed, it will be a long time before Irish drama produces something as good.
    start again .....new show new gang ....just like in real life....i'd even allow them resurrect dead cast members

Agreed. We clearly need a good strong crime based drama akin to Love/Hate. As outlined earlier, a cop show spinoff is one way. Or a spinoff new show focusing on Terence and other associates? Give it a new name so as to stop comparison to the days of Nidge?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

start again with leighton and warren being naughty at primary school and tommy is in their class as he now has learning difficulties.

the series shows tommy rise to power against the 7 year olds and his demise when he ****s his pants and his mum has to come and collect him

I hope Love/Hate or a spinoff does return in 2016. We can assume there's nothing being made for 2015 (unless it is done in total secret concentrating on Big Balls out in Spain?!!). In the meantime, though, what will replace it for this year? I have heard of nothing being made but hopefully we will have something worthwhile instead of the usual abysmal mix of The Week in Hell, er, Politics! and reality competition shows.

Love/Hate should not be left go in favour of useless fare like the affore mentioned. There is so much yet to tell in the Love/Hate world with or without Nidge in my opinion. A direct continuation focusing on Fran and co, a tense prison drama, a spinoff cop series a la Miami Vice, or even a Dallas style recovery of Nidge are all possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭qvsr46ofgc792k

For those of you who have been following the recent events with Stephen Clinch. There is a short documentary on RTE2 tonight about him which was shot last year.

"REBIRTH, The Story of Stephen Clinch" will screen this Monday night on RTÉ2 at 12:50.

Stephen spent nearly half his life in jail gives an honest insight into his troubled past, his addiction to drugs, armed robberies and literally being on death's door. He turned to acting and will be familiar to many from his appearances as Noely in LOVE/HATE. The difficulty of fully escaping from such a past has been made clear by events post-dating this film which have seen Stephen once again in prison. A gritty, moving portrait.

For those of you who have been following the recent events with Stephen Clinch. There is a short documentary on RTE2 tonight about him which was shot last year.

"REBIRTH, The Story of Stephen Clinch" will screen this Monday night on RTÉ2 at 12:50.

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86XKJYJFOac

Stephen spent nearly half his life in jail gives an honest insight into his troubled past, his addiction to drugs, armed robberies and literally being on death's door. He turned to acting and will be familiar to many from his appearances as Noely in LOVE/HATE. The difficulty of fully escaping from such a past has been made clear by events post-dating this film which have seen Stephen once again in prison. A gritty, moving portrait.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,887 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 81,988 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86XKJYJFOac

Watched it last night, he seemed to be in a good place and loving life with the feedback he got from Love/Hate. I wonder did he relapse on drugs or what, probably not right to speculate with a court case ongoing. I felt that RTÉ should have given it a more Prime Time slot seeing as he was a star of their biggest ever drama.

Watched it last night, he seemed to be in a good place and loving life with the feedback he got from Love/Hate. I wonder did he relapse on drugs or what, probably not right to speculate with a court case ongoing. I felt that RTÉ should have given it a more Prime Time slot seeing as he was a star of their biggest ever drama.

For those who might haven't seen it:

http://www.rte.ie/player/ie/show/10442754/

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Midnight Sundance

I just saw on Facebook that Love/hate is coming back in 2016, anyone know if there's any truth to this?

dunno ...there's some other ****e about a car salesman they are passing off as the "new" love hate, because that was the best the RTE marketing dept could think of

• Advertisement

actually i've just seen the ad now! 2016 wow

actually i've just seen the ad now! 2016 wow

Dafuq? Link?

dunno ...there's some other ****e about a car salesman they are passing off as the "new" love hate, because that was the best the RTE marketing dept could think of

This Clean Break series seems to be this year's equivalent but am unsure if this will be good or not. It sounds more like Trouble in Paradise (2007) than Love/Hate to me. AND TIP was only marginally better than 2004's The Big Bow Wow.

This Clean Break series seems to be this year's equivalent but am unsure if this will be good or not. It sounds more like Trouble in Paradise (2007) than Love/Hate to me. AND TIP was only marginally better than 2004's The Big Bow Wow.

It's supposed to be about a Tiger Kidnapping gone wrong, and it's four episodes. So I'm assuming that episodes one and two will be a lot like episode one of Love/Hate season four (showing the actual kidnapping itself) and the following two episodes will be more like Love/Hate S4 episodes 2-3, dealing with the fallout from it.

It's supposed to be about a Tiger Kidnapping gone wrong, and it's four episodes. So I'm assuming that episodes one and two will be a lot like episode one of Love/Hate season four (showing the actual kidnapping itself) and the following two episodes will be more like Love/Hate S4 episodes 2-3, dealing with the fallout from it.

I heard it is about a tiger kidnapping and hopefully it will be like the one in Love/Hate. But the important difference is that this is not Nidge or Fran but an ordinary car salesman involved this time. That's what makes it more Trouble in Paradise than Love/Hate.

I hope it is good. It won't be as good as Love/Hate but I hope it is passable anyways. But I have the feeling it will be a Trouble in Paradise-style bickering family thing with the business going downhill and the tiger kidnapping perhaps late rather than early in the series with perhaps someone getting killed. I hope I am wrong though ..

Just rewatching Love/Hate season 5, does anyone else reckon the Nidge vs Fran storyline would have been a little more interesting if Fran hadn't been apprehended so early? A few episodes of guerilla warfare between the two would have been predictable, but ridiculously exciting. :D

If you'd more of Nidge v Fran you prob would have had less of Nidge v Patrick so I dunno.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,389 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

and that has to do what with the show ?
    junkie deserves the time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85,887 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I hope he don't play pool or snooker inside :p

Advertisement