Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Love/Hate (v2) [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

julyjane wrote: »

I can't take Stumpy seriously anymore after Derry girls

:pac: I had not made the connection! He's so ugly in Love/Hate. But now I can't unsee it. I think it will ruin him in Derry Girls for me, rather than the other way around.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

This not on tonight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I know, I'm devastated! No reason they couldn't leave it on after the charity thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Shower of bastards

• Registered Users Posts: 85,238 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

This not on tonight?

When does the wedding air now :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,671 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I decided to watch on the player..

Really enjoying this show. Thought was ok first time around. Even better now. It’s very interesting.

Annoying part is Fran: at the start his character was great. Dark, rash, impulsive and fearless...

Within an episode or two it’s the cringe coola boola sh1te and his tongue up Nidge’s ass. Came out of nowhere..

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭timfinnegan

This is my favourite TV series of all time. It's an absolutely stunning production and has everything in it, gritty realism, great dialogue, superb acting, humour, fab soundtrack and very true to the sad stories of people who get involved in the game. There aren't any winners in the trade, only broken lives and heartache for those left behind.

I've watched it twice now and I enjoyed the second viewing as much as the first. It's a cautionary tale to would be gangsters that there ain't no future in the game, only a cold slab or a life behind bars.

Thanks to everyone involved in this timeless drama.

walshb wrote: »

Annoying part is Fran: at the start his character was great. Dark, rash, impulsive and fearless...

Within an episode or two it’s the cringe coola boola sh1te and his tongue up Nidge’s ass. Came out of nowhere..

Moving from importing cigarettes to dealing with importing class A drugs..... Different pond.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭trashcan

This is my favourite TV series of all time. It's an absolutely stunning production and has everything in it, gritty realism, great dialogue, superb acting, humour, fab soundtrack and very true to the sad stories of people who get involved in the game. There aren't any winners in the trade, only broken lives and heartache for those left behind.

I've watched it twice now and I enjoyed the second viewing as much as the first. It's a cautionary tale to would be gangsters that there ain't no future in the game, only a cold slab or a life behind bars.

Thanks to everyone involved in this timeless drama.

If you'd said Irish series I'd have been with you all the way, but best ever ? Watch the Wire. I mean it's head and shoulders above anything else produced in this country, but it did I take time to find its feet. The characters of Darren and John Boy never convinced me either. It really came into its own when Nidge took centre stage.

Just watched the scene tonight where Hughie shoots himself in the head. An iconic moment. But I feel that Brian Gleesons performance was so good that perhaps it was a waste of his character. He played the unhinged gurrier to perfection.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,310 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I always thought Rob Sheehan was miscast in the role of Darren, he was too much of a pretty boy to be credible as a gangster.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I always thought Rob Sheehan was miscast in the role of Darren, he was too much of a pretty boy to be credible as a gangster.

I never understood this criticism.
    Nobody uses it against Idris Elba in the Wire

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Because Idris Elba wasn't miscast.

I agree that Sheehan didn't really fit the role, but he did what he could with it. I think he got better the further the show went along.

6 foot 3 & 16 stone....... If you saw idris on any door he'd look credible.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Because Idris Elba wasn't miscast.

I agree that Sheehan didn't really fit the role, but he did what he could with it. I think he got better the further the show went along.

There’s lads over in the Gangland thread would disagree as they would hold Mago Gately in the same way as Robert Sheehan

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Augeo wrote: »
    6 foot 3 & 16 stone....... If you saw idris on any door he'd look credible.

The point was about looks, not size.
    And gang membership, not bouncing.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,459 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

My Virgin Horizon box didn't pick up the episode broadcast on Friday night. And when I check the schedule for next Friday, there's no sign of Love Hate at all.

Any ideas what's going on there?

The point was about looks, not size.
    And gang membership, not bouncing.

What do gang members / hardened criminals look like?

Monday the 6th of July at around 11pm has series 2 starting

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭timfinnegan

trashcan wrote: »
    If you'd said Irish series I'd have been with you all the way, but best ever ? Watch the Wire. I mean it's head and shoulders above anything else produced in this country, but it did I take time to find its feet. The characters of Darren and John Boy never convinced me either. It really came into its own when Nidge took centre stage.

Just watched the scene tonight where Hughie shoots himself in the head. An iconic moment. But I feel that Brian Gleesons performance was so good that perhaps it was a waste of his character. He played the unhinged gurrier to perfection.

I've seen The Wire and no doubt it's a great series, compulsive viewing. I couldn't get enough of the episodes when I first started watching and it was a fresh way of showing the game, from the different stratums of society involved. I felt it dipped a little in quality by the time the series got to the Polish dockers, but it's right up there for sure.

I'd personally have The Sopranos ahead of it, which is unsurpassed by anything IMO. This is the benchmark for any drama, almost Everest like in the standard it consistently achieved. I always felt that even though it was a series focussing on the Mafia, the actual storylines could be parables for any large organisation. Of course it had everything and then some, musical score, dialogue etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

+ 100

• Advertisement

trashcan wrote: »

i had never seen that bit where he offs himself by mistake , i burst out laughing at the absurdity of it , i know he was off this head on coke all of the time but it was still redicolous , i didnt like the hughie character and it was redicolous that him and aiden gillen were brothers , he was annoying , brainless and such a loose cannon , you could do nothing for fear he would freak out , kind of guy who had to die

• Registered Users Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    i had never seen that bit where he offs himself by mistake , i burst out laughing at the absurdity of it , i know he was off this head on coke all of the time but it was still redicolous

That very thing happened to one of the Collopys in Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    i didnt like the hughie character and it was redicolous that him and aiden gillen were brothers

Half brothers iirc, and it was presented as a bit mad at least from John Boys POV on many occassions

The wedding aisle dance up was cringey but funny

Most of them are all weak skinny pretty boys, who are hardy when drugged up with guns

• Registered Users Posts: 5,746 ✭✭✭el diablo

That's Limerick though.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 17,971 ✭✭✭✭rob316

True, but its a TV show, you need characters to root for. If they were all Fran's and Nidges, the show wouldn't have been as good. More realistic sure, but it needed to appeal to an audience and Darren was a character you could root for.

Pity it was only one

• Registered Users Posts: 54,671 ✭✭✭✭walshb

His pretty boy looks weren't really the issue....

His acting/portrayal was pretty poor....he did not come across at all consistent...and not at all gangsterish!

Similar to Gillen, who for some fooked up reason seems to think he's Al Pacino or something; dreadful actor....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,459 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I'm really enjoying it this time round. Series 1 and 2 were fairly low profile at the time, and didn't get mass attention until later. I'm getting so much humour this time, reminiscent of the Sopranos in ways. It was very well written.

Advertisement