Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭kkclubhurling

Codyout a few quick questions

1) You don't think Brassil was good enough in the county senior final to warrant a call up? Yet you repeatedly mention James Bergin, what did you make of his performance in the county junior final?

2) OLG have some very talented young players no doubt, a brilliant u21 team this year, just wondering who of Mikey Butler, Conor Heary or Eoin O'Shea you'd view as an inside forward worthy of a call up?

3) The other Village forward you mention repeatedly, scored 3-05 from play in championship this year, he is only 23, and only Adrian Mullen and Eoin Cody scored more from play? Two years ago he got 4-05, no one scored more from play than him in that championship, even taking 2018 into account he has got 7-12 in 3 years of Championship hurling, all from play, could you find me some forwards who have done that at senior club level in Kilkenny?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Codyout

He was not up to scratch with his free taking on the day . He was probably a bit nervous but by god did he make up for it in Leinster and all Ireland . For a chap to carry his parish to glory . On the other thing that’s what league is for you try these lads instead we got the same lads which to me have showing they not up to it . John Walsh would have a good scoring return . There is a chap from clara had a bag of goals last year . Andrew gaffney from the boro has a good scoring return but injury prone .
    As for 3 of the village forwards on Kilkenny panel it’s just my opinion the only reason any of them is there is because who the hurl for.

Sorry I thought Murphy was top scorer in Kilkenny for last 2 years . I am only going by Kilkenny year book . Of the 6 players released I would have thought they would have a little bit more to offer Kilkenny . How David blanchfield let go is beyond me why bring him in give him no game time . Hurl in a position we badly need someone . As the say time will tell .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭Village87

Only reading this the last while, no comment to make really with lack of games and other important issues in the world. As regards CodyOut makes some valid points. As soon as the underage in Kilkenny dried up Codys success dried up. Cody did a great job keeping Kilkenny players hungry and competitive but he was back boned by underage titles on a regular basis, and some of the greatest players ever to play the game.

The game and development of young players has moved on. Codys intimidating, bullying and dictatorship form on management has been replaced by a more open, communication and delegation form of management. This can be seen in teams style of play,

With Cody in charge Kilkenny wont win an All Ireland for 10 years, we are in year 5 now.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

Was Cody to be blamed for the under age in kilkenny to dry up or was it clubs and county board took there foot off let the thing go into free fall not developing young hurlers keeping the push on by development squads etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,094 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Would anyone here have seen Robbie/Robert Hayes in action for James Stephens before? I see he has transferred to Naomh Eanna in Wexford, and the word around Gorey is that he is handy enough, although its hard to gauge when there hasn't been a ball pucked thus far. Can't think of many KK club hurlers to have moved to Wexford senior clubs over the last while. Intriguing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Stopitwillya

Would anyone here have seen Robbie/Robert Hayes in action for James Stephens before? I see he has transferred to Naomh Eanna in Wexford, and the word around Gorey is that he is handy enough, although its hard to gauge when there hasn't been a ball pucked thus far. Can't think of many KK club hurlers to have moved to Wexford senior clubs over the last while. Intriguing

Handy enough alright.
    Was going to be called up to the Kilkenny panel until Cody found out he is leaving the village.

I would be aware that Cody and Ned Quinn played a big part in under age teams . In who managed and how they went about it and who they could play . They also had big say in development squads and how The went about it . Talk to anyone involved in squads and all they talk about is how backward the squads going . I would say I got great pleasure watching boro under 17 and the way they done there business a beautiful brand of hurling . The same can be said for loug under 21 . Great under 15 final between boro and Gowan . A young Carey playing great talent . I would say the brand of hurling the boro under 17 played was great a great job done by Michail Walsh

• Registered Users Posts: 11,094 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Handy enough alright.
    Was going to be called up to the Kilkenny panel until Cody found out he is leaving the village.

Where would he predominately play? Looks like he could be a big addition to what should be a brilliant club championship this year, provided it goes ahead of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭brookville

Codyout wrote: »
    He was not up to scratch with his free taking on the day . He was probably a bit nervous but by god did he make up for it in Leinster and all Ireland . For a chap to carry his parish to glory . On the other thing that’s what league is for you try these lads instead we got the same lads which to me have showing they not up to it . John Walsh would have a good scoring return . There is a chap from clara had a bag of goals last year . Andrew gaffney from the boro has a good scoring return but injury prone .
    As for 3 of the village forwards on Kilkenny panel it’s just my opinion the only reason any of them is there is because who the hurl for.

Agreed bout james bergin apart from the county final where the team just stopped hurling he showed great leadership for his club and has being very good for dcu this year and last.Im glad he got his reward and I hope if we get back hurling again this year he will show up well in training and cody wont be afraid throw a lad in that's showing a bit of form.
    With the 3 clubs getting to the club finals and alot college tied and then the players needing a break to recover some lads missed out on getting game time.
    The john walsh and chris bolger debate has being talked to death here and unlikely he will go back for them now but theres no doubt both are scoring fowards and have more ability than some of current panel members but just not cody type players.
    Its dissapointing shane walsh and evan shefflin didnt get a chance both were outstanding for their club.i dont know why either of these were giving a decent chance but obviously they weren't showing up in training or maybe there is some other reason but it is dissapointing.
    David blanchfield very good for club and u20s last year.i seen him in the walsh cup match in callan but wouldn't judge lads that day.Id be hopefull he will get back to his club and we might see him over the next year or two.
    What clara player has a good scoring return?james bergin is it?I was impressed with him a few times for clara but very poor for kk u21s

• Advertisement

I think it’s james bergin. My pint would be if you not showing for your club on regular basis then why be brought in . I love to know what went wrong with young blanchfield a great under 20 and good club form .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

Swamp_Cat wrote: »
    I'm curious who this trolling account belongs too though I would've used the ignore button if boards had one.
    That said, unless codyout is lying about seeing the amount of matches club & IC I don't see how it can be Savannah... as I thought he lived in the Savannah GA area. but who knows.

Gaago is absolutely brilliant for keeping up with matches, TG4 is not far behind and then of course there is this forum which by the way is excellent even if we do disagree still nothing beats being at the the game in person which is why I defer to the superior knowledge of the locals here most but not all times. Even on TV one could see Tom Phelan has the potential to be an exceptional player and I am sorry that I cannot say that about a lot of the current forward panalists.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

Just to say I have never being involved in any other account in any way .i have followed this site for a while . Not great on it. Tryed beforedid not sign up . Lately signed up because I do go to all Kilkenny games at all levels . Go to as many club matches as possible . Interest in country senior team but prefer neutral matches how you can sit back and enjoy . I would be a joe Hennessy follower in he was one of the most stylish hurlers but could still give and take . The great chunky , billy Fitzpatrick but a few when you watched Kilkenny you watched style . My honest believe if George Leahey rip from the village had got the job at the time which everyone thought he would Kilkenny would have as many if not more and with more style because the record of George as a coach was of the highest . I have never accepted the way coady treated players and players from the village geting preference. To say it has not gone on is a joke. Just go back to 2016 and they way he treated his son and Jackie at the expense of the team remember it was national media said it was the worst performance of a manager they have ever seeing. Now things have changed . I am not sure who said in reply to one of my comments that James meagher was happy to be out that I could not argue with because I know of 2 players that were in same position . Another league over and no further actually gone backwards. To say we were in all Ireland last year as I said all ready league we would have being relegated and destroyed in final . Re Brazil I have watched him in last few years good strong chap under 21 did not show enough for me to get called up his performances for village have not being great very poor county final . To say he showed up well in Carlow well he came on as a sub when Carlow were at there lowest made a great run from sideline to which Richie gave great finish . The chap of The Bergin has showing up at club level came on for a few minutes got a great score . I believe bergin , John Walsh , young lad from clara , and 1or 2 of the Olg under 21 deserved a go instead we got another village forward. So I have no interest in fooling people I just say it as I see it . I have a season pass I get great value and fun out of it . I will always stand over that any manager thinks he is bigger than the team and the players and can’t put out his hand and thank them should sit up in the stand there is plenty of people in Kilkenny remember the 3 club titles are in Kilkenny

Use a paragraph or 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭Grats

The week in summary - bring back Ollie Walsh and appoint Michael Walsh as manager and we'll get places!!!

Might not be bad idea if he gets same response as he got out of the weastmeat under 21 when the beat Kilkenny . Where he brought westmeat hurling . His record with Irish shinty team . He the last person to train Kilkenny to under 21 . He has trained boro teams at all levels to county success you could be right never thought of that . The respect the captain of under 21 team showed him in his speech for the way he looked after players . His main contribution to Kilkenny hurling is probably when with Henry they persuaded TJ to keep hurling when your great mr Coady had no time from him and he not even in 26 you could be right he could be the man . As for Ollie Walsh it’s only my opinion and many others he has lead the boro for last few years win s county final and showed in that final against village how good he is he man of match in some media outlets his performance in under 21 in thurles against Clare when Kilkenny in command till Clare took him out and Kilkenny went on to loose . His consistent performances when he plays and one of his main assets is he is the best and quickest passer of a ball in hurling but then again when it comes to hurling in Kilkenny if you don’t hit it long with your head down and run after it you no good to Kilkenny hurling

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭droppingball

Might not be bad idea if he gets same response as he got out of the weastmeat under 21 when the beat Kilkenny . Where he brought westmeat hurling . His record with Irish shinty team . He the last person to train Kilkenny to under 21 . He has trained boro teams at all levels to county success you could be right never thought of that . The respect the captain of under 21 team showed him in his speech for the way he looked after players . His main contribution to Kilkenny hurling is probably when with Henry they persuaded TJ to keep hurling when your great mr Coady had no time from him and he not even in 26 you could be right he could be the man . As for Ollie Walsh it’s only my opinion and many others he has lead the boro for last few years win s county final and showed in that final against village how good he is he man of match in some media outlets his performance in under 21 in thurles against Clare when Kilkenny in command till Clare took him out and Kilkenny went on to loose . His consistent performances when he plays and one of his main assets is he is the best and quickest passer of a ball in hurling but then again when it comes to hurling in Kilkenny if you don’t hit it long with your head down and run after it you no good to Kilkenny hurling

No mention of his performance for kilkenny seniors already no?

Just on Ollie Walsh senior performance played in Walsh cup final in feb gave a great performance by media reports picked to play against cork got virus played 20 min against Clare and played against Offaly and then let go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Imagine replacing Brian Cody, the most successful manager in GAA history, for a fella because he had a good record in the Shinty.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

I feel like you might have joined Boards with one clear opinion......

Mod Warning

Codyout is entitled to his opinion re Brian Cody's management as long as it is made in a well argued and constructive manner.Codyout must under no circumstances labour the point to the detriment of the thread going forward or sanctions will be forthcoming.

I draw Codyout's attention specifically to point number 8 on the forum charter and his/her obligation to not spoil the thread by having a sole focus on this subject matter.

Evidently it's not a popular opinion but same does give posters licence to ridicule the poster.Please use the report function or simply use the ignore button.

Calling out fellow posters on thread and speculation re the identity of fellow posters is strictly forbidden.

I am not a family member I would be up to date on many Kilkenny hurlers I think isn’t that what we go to matches for . I have reported matter

• Advertisement

Talk of Intercounty not being played now in 2020.. club will be played when all of this is out of the way and restrictions moved which could be August or later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Source?

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

Village87 wrote: »
    Talk of Intercounty not being played now in 2020.. club will be played when all of this is out of the way and restrictions moved which could be August or later.

No body knows when this is going to end but they will have to make a decession one way or the other by Easter if some sort of championship will go ahead. The weekends are long with out matches able to get out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

Fred Daly wrote: »
    No body knows when this is going to end but they will have to make a decession one way or the other by Easter if some sort of championship will go ahead. The weekends are long with out matches able to get out.

If they do not play a championship this year does it mean they will play 2 championships next year. Anyway on to this months (March) poster ratings
    Codyout 9
    Village87 8
    Grats 7
    Brooksville 7
    JJ left hand 7
    Fred Daly 6
    Cornerback1 5
    Dropping ball 5
    Seligehgit 2
    Montgomery Burns 1

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭The_Ghost

Rewatched the 2014 finals yesterday two brilliant games esp the first one, we were blessed to concede 1 point from 3 penalties. Don’t know how Mick Fennelly didn’t get MOTM the second day. Even then we were just lumping long balls in but our forwards just chipped in more and our backs were just better, we were much stronger in the air back then.

I was thinking yesterday If championship does go ahead how many nailed down starters we have.

Murphy obviously and Lawor at 3.
    Holden and Paul Murphy finished championship well last year. Wallace has impressed and Mullen seems to be everyone’s option for 2 or 4 but conor browne could be there either.

Conor Delaney is a great defender and most people seem to agree he’s one of the best backs in the county. Deegan is going well at 6 but could go in the corner either. Will Walsh and Buckley go on the wings. Jason cleere is there too.

In midfield Fogerty is nailed on enough in my eyes, Daren Mullen could feature here or browne but hopefully it’s Richie leahy who’s just much better midfield.

Donnolly Tj Colin Billy Ryan and Hogan should all start. Wally will prob start but he needs to find consistency again he’s very capable of chipping in but he hasn’t been showing it. Is cody ready? Fully agree that John Walsh and Shane Walsh should be in there even if it’s for S&C alone and both would be great impact subs and much better than some of the hurlers on the panel. I think it’s a panel that could compete again and luckily other counties haven’t used the league much better than us.

Joey Holden and Pádraig Walsh are holding a very funny Kilkenny virtual championship on their instagrams to kill the time.

Doubtful if the championship does ahead at this stage. Wouldn't be ideal for Richie Hogan and TJ, could Richie come back next year and TJ will be 34 in 2021. Very hard to see a championship going ahead. Collective training probably wont be allowed back for another 10-11 weeks. If Covid 19 is still active in UK and US in June which it seems likely will be there will be no championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

Open draw knockout in hurling, could play it off on 6 weeks august/september if the gaa really wanted to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭brookville

Village87 wrote: »
    Doubtful if the championship does ahead at this stage. Wouldn't be ideal for Richie Hogan and TJ, could Richie come back next year and TJ will be 34 in 2021. Very hard to see a championship going ahead. Collective training probably wont be allowed back for another 10-11 weeks. If Covid 19 is still active in UK and US in June which it seems likely will be there will be no championship.

Hard to disagree with this.i cant see big matches going ahead in venues like croke park in a few short months.Id like to see the club being looked after later in the year.
    I'd say tj will probably stay going for as long as he stays injury free but richie was probably hoping to give this year one last push and not go out after last years dissapointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Garyp88

iebamm2580 wrote: »
    Open draw knockout in hurling, could play it off on 6 weeks august/september if the gaa really wanted too.

I agree but what structure do you propose Id think 2 groups of 5 top qualifies for a semi 2nd plays 3rd in different groups winner advances similar to the provinces really

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

Garyp88 wrote: »
    I agree but what structure do you propose Id think 2 groups of 5 top qualifies for a semi 2nd plays 3rd in different groups winner advances similar to the provinces really

Keep it simple open draw no seeding, it would be entertaining for 1 year, neutral venues no home and away agreements come into play.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement