Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Swamp_Cat

We saw quite a few new & almost new players so far & I'm curious about who you guys think was the most consistent, quality prospect including Adrian Mullen even though it'll be a bit before we see him again. For me I feel John Donnelly & Billy Ryan were standouts in the forward line w/A. Murphy doing very well from placed balls. J. Donnelly being my pick up front.

Saw quite a few new faces in the backs though I was disappointed Evan Shefflin never got a run. He's bulked up quite a bit in the past year unlike many others who have been around for a few years now. I thought Delaney was very good after such a long injury, Hue looked a bit rusty at times but is still a good find. Deegan seems to be playing better, smarter hurling than last year & C. Wallace has been great. That said, Darren Mullen, though we didn't see a whole lot from, is my pick but exactly where to play him, ?? I'll leave to the experts. I just think he's a very talented, intelligent hurler. Am I forgetting any standout players.
    Given the weather & pitch conditions as well as the nature of the league it's all 1/2 guessing.
    Who disappointed based on expectations?
    Hoping everyone & their loved ones are staying safe and healthy.

Julie catch a rabbit by its hare...

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Swamp_Cat

1984baby wrote: »
    Everyone fully fit (bar A Mullen)
    for the championship, what’d be your team??

E. Murphy
    D. Mullen
    Lawlor
    Wallace
    C. Delaney
    Deegan
    Buckley
    Fogarty
    P. Walsh
    Donnelly
    TJ
    Colin Fennelly
    Billy Ryan
    Wally
    R Hogan

Gotta have Joey Holden in there. Otherwise I see a team I like provided they play with the intensity we saw in the quarter & semifinals last year. Any thoughts on Paul Murphy or Richie Reid?

Julie catch a rabbit by its hare...

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭KK36

I still think we need Paddy Deegans pace in the full back line, both for covering off and for running the ball out from a short puckout as we will almost certainly, at times, be playing against teams who only have two in the full forward line. We also need to increase the number of goals as we haven't scored enough in the last few years. I'd play TJ corner forward and tell him to go for a goal every time. Donnelly is plenty good enough to play at 11. One spot up for grabs between Liam Blanchfield, Wally, Bill Sheehan. Disaster that Mullen is gone.

E Murphy
    D Mullen
    H Lawlor
    P Deegan
    P Walsh
    C Delaney
    C Buckley (Wing back is his only spot, waste of time playing him midfield)
    C Fogarty
    R Leahy (Cant believe that James Maher has been dropped)
    J Donnelly
    TJ Reid (I'd play him corner forward but he will be centre forward)
    AN Other
    B Ryan
    C Fennelly (I'd play him wing forward but he will be full forward)
    R Hogan

• Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Has there been any confirmation about James Maher either way?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭brookville

v3ttel wrote: »
    Has there been any confirmation about James Maher either way?

Kilkenny people had it last week along with the list of players that were named here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

KK36 wrote: »
    E Murphy
    D Mullen
    H Lawlor
    P Deegan
    P Walsh
    C Delaney
    C Buckley (Wing back is his only spot, waste of time playing him midfield)
    C Fogarty
    R Leahy (Cant believe that James Maher has been dropped)
    J Donnelly
    TJ Reid (I'd play him corner forward but he will be centre forward)
    AN Other
    B Ryan
    C Fennelly (I'd play him wing forward but he will be full forward)
    R Hogan
    Wallace has played his way onto the team
    Cillian has not.
    Leahy is the best midfielder we have and that includes Walsh, Fogarty Murphy and Maher.
    We have two point scoring forwards in Donnelly and Reid and possibly a third in Hogan but Hogan has to be fit and that is a huge ask. We have two goal threatening forwards in Fennelly and Ryan. The rest are not up to much being neither one or the other with the possible exception of Coady but we have not seen enough of him in the league, what a wasted league

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

Might not be to much of a championship the way things are going the night before st patricks night the place is like a morgue out there never saw it so quiet. Keep safe everybody its going to be tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭droppingball

Cody used 34 players, more than anyone else, most teams around 28 to 30. So good level of experimentation and got time into talent we knew was coming like darren mullen and eoin cody, also got game time into lads on the panel who needed it to develop.

34 in 5 games is plenty, we found wallace as well so not too bad.

Cody used 34 players, more than anyone else, most teams around 28 to 30. So good level of experimentation and got time into talent we knew was coming like darren mullen and eoin cody, also got game time into lads on the panel who needed it to develop.

34 in 5 games is plenty, we found wallace as well so not too bad.

Wallace is an excellent find no doubt about that, yet we were already well served for backs. It is scoring forwards we have been short of these past seasons. If he has used 34 then he should have used 44 and then 54 and even 64 until he exhausted every possible avenue looking for that most elusive of players in Kilkenny at present "a goal and point scoring forward" we have enough and more than enough work horses. It has been a wasted league. We could have played any number of trialists and ended up in the 1/4 anyway. Yes we found Wallace but we did not come within an asses roar of solving the problem we needed to solve.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭WhatsGoingOn2

Wallace is an excellent find no doubt about that, yet we were already well served for backs. It is scoring forwards we have been short of these past seasons. If he has used 34 then he should have used 44 and then 54 and even 64 until he exhausted every possible avenue looking for that most elusive of players in Kilkenny at present "a goal and point scoring forward" we have enough and more than enough work horses. It has been a wasted league. We could have played any number of trialists and ended up in the 1/4 anyway. Yes we found Wallace but we did not come within an asses roar of solving the problem we needed to solve.

Management can't magically create players in 1 league campaign. Can you name this mythical goalscoring forward sensation that is hiding in front of our very eyes?

• Advertisement

Do you think those type of players just appear

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Grats

Lots of players got game time during the league. New lads, relatively new lads and seasoned lads. The likes of Eoin Coady needed a rest after all the hurling he's been involved in for two years non stop. Others needed a break too. If we don't make headway this year it won't be on account of a "wasted league" but simply because the calibre of players ain't there. Cody knows every player in the county from primary school up. I doubt he has missed out on any special talent!

We have honest decent players who deserve time to gel. What they need most of all is a top class game plan to get the very best out of them. It would be easy for any special talent, then, to blend into the system, should that talent appear out of the woodwork!

As an aside, Adrian Mullen could be back before any hurling is played again!

Management can't magically create players in 1 league campaign. Can you name this mythical goalscoring forward sensation that is hiding in front of our very eyes?
    S Walsh, J Walsh, Phelan and Bergin from Conahy are potentially far more prolific forwards than Keoghan, Scanlan, Brazille, W Walsh, Alyward & Sheehan to name a few but what happens J Walsh is not considered, S Walsh is insulted by being given 15 minutes, Phelan is not even considered while Bergin is hanging on to last place in the squad.Those closer to club hurling than myself can surely add another name or two I dont care what problem Cody has with J Walsh go and sort it out. My way or the highway has a lot to do with some or all of these players being dumped. The league is for trying players out well Kilkenny most certainly did not do that in the forward division and the four players I named above were included in place of any four of the other current players I have named the squad would be in no way weakened and that says it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭KK36

Is Seanie Bolger not worth a shot at this stage. He was very good for O'Loughlins last year. We are carrying a lot of dead wood on that panel. It's time for a few exciting forwards to be let off the leash

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

S Walsh, J Walsh, Phelan and Bergin from Conahy are potentially far more prolific forwards than Keoghan, Scanlan, Brazille, W Walsh, Alyward & Sheehan to name a few but what happens J Walsh is not considered, S Walsh is insulted by being given 15 minutes, Phelan is not even considered while Bergin is hanging on to last place in the squad.Those closer to club hurling than myself can surely add another name or two I dont care what problem Cody has with J Walsh go and sort it out. My way or the highway has a lot to do with some or all of these players being dumped. The league is for trying players out well Kilkenny most certainly did not do that in the forward division and the four players I named above were included in place of any four of the other current players I have named the squad would be in no way weakened and that says it all.
    My God. Just waiting for someone to call for Chris Bolger now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Codyout

If Richie Leahy best midfielder we have we are going nowhere . Very skill full not able to read game . The best midfielder he had he let go because he was sick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

I feel like you might have joined Boards with one clear opinion......

As for strongest panel

Conor Browne V Evan sheflin
    Luke Scanlon V Ollie Walsh
    Brazil. V John Walsh
    O Dwyer V michail Murphy
    I know the 4 I’d have and they don’t hurl for the village

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Galestorm1

What does everyone think will happen with the kk club league/championship this year. Obviously depends on the return date of games.

Codyout wrote: »
    As for strongest panel

Conor Browne V Evan sheflin
    Luke Scanlon V Ollie Walsh
    Brazil. V John Walsh
    O Dwyer V michail Murphy
    I know the 4 I’d have and they don’t hurl for the village

Shefflin over Browne but Browne deserves a place on panel and possibly on team

Scanlon over Ollie Walsh but Scanlon needs to bulk up and step up but has more to offer than Ollie Walsh in my view

Brassil for me, John Walsh struggled at u21 and apparently really struggled with inter county training intensity, Brassil was doing well before the hamstring injury

50 50 for me, Murphy would struggle with mobility and not sure we would play to us strengths.

Besides evan shefflin and james maher I'd be happy with who we are trying but we need to play better ball to our forwards

• Advertisement

Murphy by far the best forward in Kilkenny over last 2 seasons . Really got the better of Conor brown on3 occasions . I suppose 3 clubs in Kilkenny man mark Ollie Walsh for the fun of it . When village needed brown and Scanlon and Brazil most in county final .

Murphy by far the best forward in Kilkenny over last 2 seasons . Really got the better of Conor brown on3 occasions . I suppose 3 clubs in Kilkenny man mark Ollie Walsh for the fun of it . When village needed brown and Scanlon and Brazil most in county final .

Cody gave Ollie plenty of chances and it didn't work out, agree Murphy has put comer on his back and been great last few yrs but he was in there as well and it didn't happen for him, not sure he would make it but probably is due a place on the panel. Wouldn't imagine he would be near starting.

Isn’t that what we talk about what you see. I haven’t missed a kilkenny match in years go to as much club hurling as possible. I sat in Wexford Park not to long ago and saw a team being beating who were 2 pints up with 20 minutes to go and a gale in there back . We managed to lose why because we have a manager that can’t change . Unless you big and strong you can’t hurl . And as a comment said earlier we can’t pass the ball into the forwards . Could we ever . Look how easy the shamrocks won 2 senior hurling titles by getting the best of there players and playing hurling . It’s 5 years and it’s going to be a lot longer.

It'll be a bit longer indeed but I don't think Michael Murphy or John Walsh would make it any shorter. Both were in before and didn't make it.

It'll be a bit longer indeed but I don't think Michael Murphy or John Walsh would make it any shorter. Both were in before and didn't make it.

This thing did not make it before . Only for 2 top county players TJ would not have made it under Cody remember he was gone . They talked him back . Cha one of the greats was throwing aside because he was not 6ft 2. John Walsh played really well for mullinvat and deserved a real go Murphy would have being worth looking at . Instead we had to look at Walter week after week . Again I look to the shamrocks how easy they make it look playing hurling . Some of the efforts we have looked at in midfield for at least 3 years have being terrible . Maybe my problem is I like watching hurlers not athletes.

With due respects, neither Murphy or Walsh are TJs. I've seen both plenty of times and they have their share of poor days. Their time has passed, forget about them. We all know the background regarding Cha, we'll leave it at that.

Can't help thinking of Eamon Dunphy and his ongoing attacks on various soccer managers for not playing this player or that player. We can all pick one or two, a manager has to pick a panel and with all pulling together.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,853 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

This thing did not make it before . Only for 2 top county players TJ would not have made it under Cody remember he was gone . They talked him back . Cha one of the greats was throwing aside because he was not 6ft 2. John Walsh played really well for mullinvat and deserved a real go Murphy would have being worth looking at . Instead we had to look at Walter week after week . Again I look to the shamrocks how easy they make it look playing hurling . Some of the efforts we have looked at in midfield for at least 3 years have being terrible . Maybe my problem is I like watching hurlers not athletes.
    You know full well Cha wasn't dropped for his height, but it's not exactly a well hidden agenda you've got here in fairness, Codyout.

When you are winning maybe you can carry one or 2 from your club . When you looking for players sorry everyone should get same chance . And after looking at the forwards display against Carlow ,laoise Wexford to write of a young man with the skill of John Walsh so be it

• Advertisement

Good luck! I'm out!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement