Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Garyp88

iebamm2580 wrote: »
    Keep it simple open draw no seeding, it would be entertaining for 1 year, neutral venues no home and away agreements come into play.

But in theory that would only be 8 teams which isn't fair on the likes of Dublin, laois, antrim, carlow or offaly you have to make it entertaining but over a duration I'd love Dublin or antrim to get a team like Waterford or clare on neutral soil could do well for the game

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

Garyp88 wrote: »
    But in theory that would only be 8 teams which isn't fair on the likes of Dublin, laois, antrim, carlow or offaly you have to make it entertaining but over a duration I'd love Dublin or antrim to get a team like Waterford or clare on neutral soil could do well for the game

Who said only 8 teams, for 1 year open draw knockout have all teams in divisions 1 and 2 included. All teams play on same weekend, it would be ran off quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Garyp88

Just thinking how you'd get an even draw with more teams 8 in qf, 4 in sf and 2 in the final that's all I ment

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭Village87

Who said only 8 teams, for 1 year open draw knockout have all teams in divisions 1 and 2 included. All teams play on same weekend, it would be ran off quick.

Would be great if had 16 teams involved:

6 Munster teams
    KK
    Wex
    Dub
    Carlow
    Laois
    Offaly
    Westmeath
    Galway
    Antrim
    Derry/Down

Play it over 6 weekends. It seems the only realistic chance of getting the intercounty season in. Might have to be played end of August finish last weekend September. I see some countries are banning public events until July. America and UK in for a tough 8 weeks going on predictions. Even when we come out of this public gatherings will be staggered for a long time. Chances of intercounty are very slim going by all accounts.

On anther note the GAA have very little to worry about in comparison to professional sports. Rugby taking a massive hit along with soccer. Do the GAA have any major costs during this period effecting them aside from the revenue lost from games.

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

Have the GAA staff not taken a 10\20 percentage pay cut.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Village87 wrote: »
    Chances of intercounty are very slim going by all accounts.
    Source?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Charlie69

Open draw knockout in hurling, could play it off on 6 weeks august/september if the gaa really wanted to.

Immunology expert from Trinity college on the radio yesterday couldn't see mass gatherings being allowed for 6 to 12 months or until a vaccine has been developed.
    If thats's the case there won't be any championship in 2020 I would think.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Swamp_Cat

Codyout wrote: »
    I am not a family member I would be up to date on many Kilkenny hurlers I think isn’t that what we go to matches for . I have reported matter

I just wanted to apologize for calling you out as a trolling account. Regardless of whether I agree with you or not, you are entitled to your opinion without my speculations/assumptions.
    We're all here because we're hurling/KK fans & likely not a little stir crazy w/cabin fever. I was in the wrong & hope you'll accept my apology.
    + To everyone here I hope you & your family & friends are healthy. Stay safe.

Julie catch a rabbit by its hare...

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Outcody

I had signed off so had to create new account . I accept apology . I have no problem standing by my opinions and who ever wants to disagree with me so be it but to make fun of people that have giving a lot for there county and club I don’t want to be apart of that . If you disagree so be it your untitled to your opinion. Unfortunately I don’t think we will be discussing much hurling for quite a while so all good health to everyone. Finally I am not a family member

Outcody wrote: »
    I had signed off so had to create new account . I accept apology . I have no problem standing by my opinions and who ever wants to disagree with me so be it but to make fun of people that have giving a lot for there county and club I don’t want to be apart of that . If you disagree so be it your untitled to your opinion. Unfortunately I don’t think we will be discussing much hurling for quite a while so all good health to everyone. Finally I am not a family member

Thank you for your response. I am not exactly sure what you were referring to when you mentioned making fun of anyone nor the family comment if directed at me, but all the same my apology stands & I do appreciate you taking the time to say you accept my apology. all the best to you & everyone here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Outcody

Swamp_Cat wrote: »
    Thank you for your response. I am not exactly sure what you were referring to when you mentioned making fun of anyone nor the family comment if directed at me, but all the same my apology stands & I do appreciate you taking the time to say you accept my apology. all the best to you & everyone here.
    You are right I mixed you up with a comment that was made and not by you so I apologise for same hopefully we might get to comment on hurling in the future

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

Anyone have a link for the full match coverage of the 2000 AI Hurling Final? Only brief highlights up on YouTube.

All the nice weather and no club matches to go to or the intercounty in May. Gonna be a long few months

Easter is usually the time everything wakens up after the winter a gaa, holidays, etc this year all this has been wiped out like a bang but I suppose if we have our health it will get us through these trying times. Just talking to a friend of mine she is in a nursing home frightened none of her children have not seen her for the last five weeks because the way things are. Be safe everybody it will be a great day when you hear children playing or the roar from the park .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

Fred Daly wrote: »
    Easter is usually the time everything wakens up after the winter a gaa, holidays, etc this year all this has been wiped out like a bang but I suppose if we have our health it will get us through these trying times. Just talking to a friend of mine she is in a nursing home frightened none of her children have not seen her for the last five weeks because the way things are. Be safe everybody it will be a great day when you hear children playing or the roar from the park .
    In the first 4 months of 2018 there were 9278 deaths in Ireland. In 2019 it went down to 8618, virus has has claimed 235 lives to date.Something does not add up and yes it is relevant as it impacts on the hurling season..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Brian017

It’s not at all relevant in the grand scheme of things. Hurling will resume one day, those people’s lives will not. And it’s the Coronavirus not the Chinese virus

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭kksaints

In the first 4 months of 2018 there were 9278 deaths in Ireland. In 2019 it went down to 8618, Chinese virus has has claimed 235 lives to date.Something does not add up and yes it is relevant as it impacts on the hurling season..

Chances of there been a Hurling Season this year are low and a season that fans are allowed to attend are even lower. Social gatherings seem to be a main factor in how the Coronavirus has spread so rapidly. The article below gives a few examples of this including a sporting example. A packed Semple or Croker would be a disaster waiting to happen with this virus. The rest of your post is nonsense tbh.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/09/the-cluster-effect-how-social-gatherings-were-rocket-fuel-for-coronavirus

kksaints wrote: »
    Chances of there been a Hurling Season this year are low and a season that fans are allowed to attend are even lower. Social gatherings seem to be a main factor in how the Coronavirus has spread so rapidly. The article below gives a few examples of this including a sporting example. A packed Semple or Croker would be a disaster waiting to happen with this virus. The rest of your post is nonsense tbh.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/09/the-cluster-effect-how-social-gatherings-were-rocket-fuel-for-coronavirus

Many experts/doctors, researchers etc. are predicting that the virus will be hanging around until a vaccine is produced. Could take 12 months. Even when we do have it curtailed there is fear of a break out. Very doubtful we will see crowds of 30000+ together by August or September. Chances of Intercounty played must be around 20%

Village87 wrote: »
    Many experts/doctors, researchers etc. are predicting that the virus will be hanging around until a vaccine is produced. Could take 12 months. Even when we do have it curtailed there is fear of a break out. Very doubtful we will see crowds of 30000+ together by August or September. Chances of Intercounty played must be around 20%

There are just as many saying this thing will be in the rear view mirror starting May 1 and out of sight June 1st

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

There are just as many saying this thing will be in the rear view mirror starting May 1 and out of sight June 1st

Yeah most of those people are Trump and his acolytes and other right-wing nut jobs. Try broaden your reading and viewing pool and get a bit of reality. This is a hurling thread so let's stick to that. I'm sure there are plenty of Covid-19 threads on boards to discuss the pandemic on.

• Advertisement

Yeah most of those people are Trump and his acolytes and other right-wing nut jobs. Try broaden your reading and viewing pool and get a bit of reality. This is a hurling thread so let's stick to that. I'm sure there are plenty of Covid-19 threads on boards to discuss the pandemic on.

Yep. Sad but true. As an American I'm shocked by the behaviour of many of his followers and sycophants. Less for ignoring social distancing but for the glee they show in doing so. I'd be funny(& beneficial) if they weren't likely to spread it to others who have taken things as seriously as they are. All this silliness while people are saying final goodbyes via phone/video conferencing. I'm disappointed that there'll be no hurling in 2020. I feel for the many players likely missing out on what may have been their last season. ...and lots more. But I'm just grateful that nobody I care about, here or in Ireland have lost their lives to this threat.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭kk1970

Swamp_Cat wrote: »
    Yep. Sad but true. As an American I'm shocked by the behaviour of many of his followers and sycophants. Less for ignoring social distancing but for the glee they show in doing so. I'd be funny(& beneficial) if they weren't likely to spread it to others who have taken things as seriously as they are. All this silliness while people are saying final goodbyes via phone/video conferencing. I'm disappointed that there'll be no hurling in 2020. I feel for the many players likely missing out on what may have been their last season. ...and lots more. But I'm just grateful that nobody I care about, here or in Ireland have lost their lives to this threat.
    If the government aren't even going to have a leaving cert until late summer, there is zero chance of inter county football or hurling being played in croke Park. The club scene might have some chance

kk1970 wrote: »
    If the government aren't even going to have a leaving cert until late summer, there is zero chance of inter county football or hurling being played in croke Park. The club scene might have some chance

I for one never ever mentioned Donald Trump

Go have an easter egg keep you quiet.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

@Savannahkat keep the thread on topic when you come back please

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭C__MC

Would kk have beaten tipp last August if the sending off didn't occur?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,826 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

C__MC wrote: »
    Would kk have beaten tipp last August if the sending off didn't occur?

No. My opinion at the time was the sending off was really bad news for us because it meant nobody spent much time examining why we lost. We haven't had much chance to see whether we have learned anything from that match, obviously. But Tipp were playing a smarter brand of hurling than we were.

You'd have to say that they have less of a tail on the team as well, but I think with better coaching we could have overcome the talent deficit.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

No. My opinion at the time was the sending off was really bad news for us because it meant nobody spent much time examining why we lost. We haven't had much chance to see whether we have learned anything from that match, obviously. But Tipp were playing a smarter brand of hurling than we were.

You'd have to say that they have less of a tail on the team as well, but I think with better coaching we could have overcome the talent deficit.

I hope everyone is keeping safe and enjoying the time with families etc. Strange as it is but good to slow things down a bit and reflect, as well as keep safe and healthy.

I know this is off the topic a bit but the thing for me was Tipp beating Wexford in the other seli-final - Davy Fitz will be sick at throwing that game away. Up by 4pts and 1 man up (iirc), then they fell apart - playing long balls instead of keeping it short and snappy as they'd be playing for the previous 2 years. Will they ever have a better chance? They were in the driving seat, a man up and playing their normal game should have seen them through but, in fairness, Tipp dug deep and were very good in the last quarter.

Wexford V KK would have been some final - for everybody. All Leinster plus Cody V Fitzy!!

Again, ifs and buts but would have been a great final.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

I know this is off the topic a bit but the thing for me was Tipp beating Wexford in the other seli-final - Davy Fitz will be sick at throwing that game away. Up by 4pts and 1 man up (iirc), then they fell apart - playing long balls instead of keeping it short and snappy as they'd be playing for the previous 2 years. Will they ever have a better chance? They were in the driving seat, a man up and playing their normal game should have seen them through but, in fairness, Tipp dug deep and were very good in the last quarter.

Have argued this point with a few Wexford supporters over the last few months and all of them deny it was Davys fault for the defensive approach to the sending off. Almost bite your head off for suggesting it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

Have argued this point with a few Wexford supporters over the last few months and all of them deny it was Davys fault for the defensive approach to the sending off. Almost bite your head off for suggesting it.

I think they just panicked, got caught in the headlights and thought they had to just see the game out. Would have been a good final.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement