Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XI - 2,615 in ROI (46 deaths) 410 in NI (21 deaths)(29/03)*OP upd 28/03*

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 514 ✭✭✭timhenn

I have a feeling that those calling for a "full lockdown" for the last fortnight will now be the same ones saying that "they're taking our freedom away".

The lack of self-awareness is amazing! Up to a few short hours ago, there were people saying that the government were doing a great job. They were doing all they can and asking what more can they do?

Now, these same people are still saying what a great job the government are doing even though they have changed course. Do these people not have a brain of their own? Do they just follow blindly? No matter what the government say, they will agree it's the best move.

pgj2015 wrote: »
    look the reality is leo and anyone else in government doesnt give a $hit about the Irish people, you would be very naive to think they do.

so if i want to go for a 4 km run i will, i wont be a prisoner in my own home.

Given that you think a camera man doing their job being given a slap by a member of the public order unit was asking for it, I hope you meet a similar type of garda while out and about.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,855 ✭✭✭con747

fritzelly wrote: »
    How did you do shopping beforehand - failing to see what has changed???

In my case my OH works in a sector that is vital so is doing 14-17 hour days since the beginning of the month 7 days a week. We are a 1 car household and her hours do not coincide with supermarket opening. So, I have to try get people i don't know to get my shopping is what has changed for me and numerous others in that boat. Also we live in the middle of nowhere with no nearby neighbours.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭blackcard

I think you miss my point. My run will now be on busy paths where distancing is impossible, whereas up until today it has been me in isolation. So in my specific case I am now more at risk of spreading the virus. I’m not going to not run (as I am allowed to do, despite your ‘stay at home’ protestations)

Obviously, they should have said that these rules should apply to everyone except woody22

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Whehey!

Was there anything about hotels or guesthouses having more restrictions ?

• Advertisement

Think people are been deliberately obtuse with the 2km thing. There are no measuring tapes. They’re literally asking us to just stay close to home.

And not pack out the Phoenix park, Glendalough, beaches, other parks etc.

It’s not so hard to understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Can someone tell me why this thread is being allowed to be swamped by what are clearly rereg posters and another cohort (or indeed maybe the same) of individuals that have resurrected a bunch of old dormant accounts.

They are all taking a contrarian view, pushing falsehoods and being a downright pain in the arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

Surprised that serious cardiac illnesses are excluded from the cocooning list.
    Maybe part of the same crapola as went they went on with over the aborted testing expansion.

There just aren't the resources to include all high-risk groups in 'Cocooning', it is going to be a problem to achieve it satisfactorily for the categories included.

HSE is still in talks/negotiation with local authorities to organise the voluntary sector to provide the every-day support services.

cf HSE Guidelines on Cocooning

• Registered Users Posts: 21,422 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Strazdas wrote: »
    15 minute walk sounds like it would be under the 2km limit so you should be absolutely fine. I'm guessing 20 minutes walk approx would take you outside the area (unless you normally tear along)

There is no "2km" limit, where are you getting this from? You're allowed to exercise within a 2km radius of your home. Two totally different things.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Hedgehod55

Jake1 wrote: »
    SO, even though you've just admitted, you are more at risk of spreading virus, you still choose to run?

:(

He takes his orders from the government, don't you know?

Why would he bother using something called context, when he can play the victim card instead?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,687 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

paul71 wrote: »
    So if the local Guards are gone why would you think there is going to be a problem driving to the local shop, but better yet if you are in a rural area like me, get up and do something to help your nieghbours if they need it

And now Paul, come on - you don't expect Con to get up and doing something worthwhile and positive during this outbreak do you?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

There might well be no long term damage from this or there might well be a lot. The Irish government, the EU and the ECB have many tools available to them to mitigate any economic problems.

They say GDP will be down by x% for the year. It's sort of irrelevant. I'd be much more interesting in comparing GDP per quarter afterwards with GDP in the same quarters in previous years.

There will be massive long term economic damage from this , that’s one certainty , estimates are now aporaching -7% of GDP from a + 3-5 % pervious , that’s depression terrority

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Sean 18

Yes Leo's next big announcement we re going to weld up the doors to your house s like China and some people would say it's for the best

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Polar101 wrote: »
    Public transport, but now it's "restricted only to essential workers and to people providing essential services".
    No.
    The main rule is to STAY AT HOME. The only times you can leave your home are:
    • to travel to or from work if you are providing an essential service The full list of essential services is available here.
    • to shop for food
    • to collect medical prescriptions and medical supplies and attend medical appointments
    • to carry out vital services like caring (including family carers)
    • for brief individual exercise - within 2 kilometres of your house. (You can bring children but must keep 2 metres away from others for social distancing)
    • for farming

You should not hold any private or public functions and this includes family functions for family who don't live in the same house.
    All community centres will close. All public transport will be restricted to those carrying out essential travel for the reasons outlined above.

https://www.gov.ie/en/news/7e0924-latest-updates-on-covid-19-coronavirus/

It's really fucking simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭EmptyTree

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    How do you view the latest county by county breakdown for Ireland please?

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/summary/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

irishgeo wrote: »
    The guards might disagree with you.

I’ve asked about that but other than snark I’ve not recurved an answer - unless it got lost the last few pages.

If that guy goes out for a run what are the the guards supposed to do about it? He is is on his own - unless he is hassling people then what harm.

I need to collect a couple of parcels tomorrow. Am I not allowed to walk to my sister’s house?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

They have to put a date on these things, we all know its going to go on longer

I thought they put Easter Sunday on it so we would all be resurrected on that day :D

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭growleaves

A 2km run is about what a convicted murderer on 23-hour lockdown would get in the worst US prison.

Yet people here don't want anyone to go for a quick run even where they won't come into contact with anyone.

Most accidents happen in the home so spare us the BS about how you're more likely to need the emergency services when outdoors.

irishgeo wrote: »
    The guards might disagree with you.

I’ve asked about that but other than snark I’ve not recurved an answer - unless it got lost the last few pages.

If that guy goes out for a run what are the the guards supposed to do about it? He is is on his own - unless he is hassling people then what harm.

I need to collect a couple of parcels tomorrow. Am I not allowed to walk to my sister’s house?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,855 ✭✭✭con747

Ace2007 wrote: »
    And now Paul, come on - you don't expect Con to get up and doing something worthwhile and positive during this outbreak do you?

Twat is all i can say.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭theballz

Honestly I f**kin hate bats after all this.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,890 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Nice if you have a garden.

Yes, I and many others are fortunate that way. Sorry if I offended anyone. But even if in an apartment/flat you can walk 2k around the area.

It is just easier to be lazy with a garden. You can pretend you are doing your 10k steps but just cabbaging with the kindle.

Needs must and we have to adapt to the new normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

They probably don't want to say it to prevent mass panic and fear mongering but I think checkpoints/blockades will become the norm for the next while.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,177 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Whehey! wrote: »
    Was there anything about hotels or guesthouses having more restrictions ?

Are they not all closed already?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

con747 wrote: »
    In my case my OH works in a sector that is vital so is doing 14-17 hour days since the beginning of the month 7 days a week. We are a 1 car household and her hours do not coincide with supermarket opening. So, I have to try get people i don't know to get my shopping is what has changed for me and numerous others in that boat. Also we live in the middle of nowhere with no nearby neighbours.

So how did you shop before , and what’s wrong with others shopping for a few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,540 ✭✭✭kingshankly

No pretty sure Leo mentioning your man off boards is allowed to walk to his sisters house

• Registered Users Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭growleaves

Yes Leo's next big announcement we re going to weld up the doors to your house s like China and some people would say it's for the best

No they'd say it didn't go far enough and that he's too soft.

growleaves wrote: »
    A 2km run is about what a convicted murderer on 23-hour lockdown would get in the worst US prison.

Yet people here don't want anyone to go for a quick run even where they won't come into contact with anyone.

Most accidents happen in the home so spare us the BS about how you're more likely to need the emergency services when outdoors.

I actually don’t understand the running and jogging.

I see people do it all the time and wonder do they know how stupid they look. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Whehey!

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Are they not all closed already?

Nope still open

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Do you really need the guards to tell you what to do? The instructions are to stay at home except for the reasons outlined, dozens of times on thread at this stage.

You are instructed to not make social calls to family.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement