Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Diabetes] General Chat and Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭rm212

So the government just announced mandatory cocooning for people over 70 and those with certain health conditions. Presumably diabetes is on that list, we'll find out for sure soon. That means that diabetics must self-isolate and not leave the home, according to what they said in the press conference.

Does this mean that diabetics are entitled to apply for enhanced illness benefit? The guidelines say the following:
    Your GP may advise you to self-isolate before you have been diagnosed with COVID-19. This means that you have been asked to stay indoors and completely avoid contact with other people. You are entitled to Illness Benefit if you have been medically advised to self-isolate.

Enhanced Illness Benefit will be paid at a higher rate than Illness Benefit and is only available where you have been diagnosed with COVID-19 or have been told to self-isolate by a medical professional because of COVID-19.

Presumably if we are legally told to cocoon that means that we've been medically advised to self-isolate and thus would be eligible for it? Does anyone know if this would be the case?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

According to Diabetes Ireland we are part of the at risk group and should be concooning. It’s waiting for confirmation if the Covid19 payment applies.

However according to this list from the HSE we’re not - https://www.hpsc.ie/a-z/respiratory/coronavirus/novelcoronavirus/guidance/vulnerablegroupsguidance/COVID-19%20Guidance%20for%20extremely%20medically%20vulnerable%20V1.pdf

It’s all very confusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭rm212

According to Diabetes Ireland we are part of the at risk group and should be concooning. It’s waiting for confirmation if the Covid19 payment applies.

Hopefully it does. Surely they can't say you have to self isolate but refuse the illness benefit...

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭calfmuscle

Diabetes is not on the list. No mandatory coconing, but as with everyone stay home and dont get infected!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

It's really annoying for me as my work is outdoors and essentially solo working on private land so I'm not more a threat or likely to be threatened than was the case - indeed going to the shop is a much greater risk than working for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭calfmuscle

It's really annoying for me as my work is outdoors and essentially solo working on private land so I'm not more a threat or likely to be threatened than was the case - indeed going to the shop is a much greater risk than working for me.

I'm gona struggle as iv been driving about 5 miles to big but quiet woods for my hours walk a day. 2 cars there today so miles of space. Plus the exercise is so important for my sugars. Will meet more ppl on my walks now.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I don't consider myself in the at risk population so I won't be staying at home but I support any diabetic who does.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭imfml

calfmuscle wrote: »
    I'm gona struggle as iv been driving about 5 miles to big but quiet woods for my hours walk a day. 2 cars there today so miles of space. Plus the exercise is so important for my sugars. Will meet more ppl on my walks now.

I believe the idea is to stop the spread outside of different communities. So although you may meet more people now, you won't meet another individual who had also driven from 5 miles away the opposite direction to you, and you or they starts a spread 10 miles from their home. That is the logic but I see your point.

I will wait to see the list tomorrow, but despite having excellent control of my type 1 diabetes, I don't know enough facts and assume I am vulnerable to this virus. I will be cocooning. I'll find it very difficult, 2 weeks ago I was up to my eyes at work and had a busy life outside of work too. But its short term and reduces the chances of possibly getting very sick when the health system is stretched. I'll look at it as practice for retirement even though that's 30 years away.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

rm212 wrote: »
    Hopefully it does. Surely they can't say you have to self isolate but refuse the illness benefit...

Was worried earlier in week , do to said safe enough to go to work then , 50 year old type 1, thinking twice aboutitnow as there's suposildly a case in the neighbourhood,

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭tadgho

Hi everyone. Type 1 Diabetic here, late 20s, been diabetic most my life, injecting insulin. Recently, in last 3-4 weeks, been getting bad hypos without noticing or experiencing usual hypo symptoms. For example, last night was feeling normal and went to do a routine blood glucose test before bed and it read 1.8!😱 So, in effect, despite feeling normal, blood glucose was dangerously low. Anyone know why I might not be feeling usual hypo symptoms like shaky/sweaty/hungry like I normally would??....off work the last couple of weeks so usual eating routine a bit off but a bit worried that I'm not noticing when I have a blatant hypo...anyone any experience of this??..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Not that low, but I can be under 4 without getting that tingly feeling.

How preoccupied are you? If your brain is firmly fixed on something else (like Covid 19 for example) it's amazing what we can miss even within our own body.

For the time being intensive testing is needed - do it every three hours. Look back over the previous test results and what you ate and how much insulin you used and when it was injected relative to meal time. You could be just out of whack and need straightening out.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,099 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

However according to this list from the HSE we’re not - https://www.hpsc.ie/a-z/respiratory/coronavirus/novelcoronavirus/guidance/vulnerablegroupsguidance/COVID-19%20Guidance%20for%20extremely%20medically%20vulnerable%20V1.pdf

It’s all very confusing.

Older adults and people who have severe underlying medical conditions like heart or lung disease or diabetes seem to be at higher risk for developing more serious complications from COVID-19

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/symptoms-testing/symptoms.html

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭imfml

Hi all,

Has anybody ever had a blood test at home for HBA1C and other routine tests. I require them every 6 months and will need them at the end of April. Usually done at a hospital but I won't be attending this month due to the risk. Contacted my GP who is not keen for me to attend his clinic unnecessarily. Looking at other options but not sure how I would go about trying to arrange someone taking bloods at home. It's also not essential persay but I don't want to out of work until I can arrange the test if there is an option to do one at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Donutz

Hi all. I'm a type 1 diabetic and just got a call from my GP to tell me that I should be staying at home. I work in one of the so called essential services but not healthcare. Same GP told me a few days ago that I was fine to continue working but now says that a list from the HSE that is available to GPs has been updated this morning and I should be staying at home.

Just wondering if others are still working away or are ye cocooning?

Just to note, said GP told me years ago when I went to him with concerns that I was a diabetic that he could tell by looking at me that I wasn't a diabetic so I wouldn't take everything he says as gospel.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I'm working away making buffers for the test kits, I am pretty much isolated as I am on my own in the lab, on my own on the commute, I meet a few people but all at a distance. Getting a bit fed up of the instant coffee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I'm not cocooning, I'm farming so I would have to work anyway, but I've only left the farm once in the last 2 weeks. My OH does the shopping and meds runs and she's now able to work from home till this is over so, other than the shopping, I would have a very low exposure rate.

I'd say if you're told to stay at home by the HSE, stay at home. Iirc, you will be entitled to a compensation payment so you will still have some income to tide you over till this is reduced.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,442 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

But I didn't see any official mention from HSE about diabetics re cocooning? I'm a Type 1.5 plus Mild Asthma as well so would that put me into the people who should be cocooning?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

But I didn't see any official mention from HSE about diabetics re cocooning? I'm a Type 1.5 plus Mild Asthma as well so would that put me into the people who should be cocooning?

Nope.

They released a list of those who should, and its really those over 70, or those who either have or are recovering from certain cancers.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,485 ✭✭✭✭banie01

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Nope.

They released a list of those who should, and its really those over 70, or those who either have or are recovering from certain cancers.

Organ transplant recipients and those on immuno suppression meds too.
    Methotrexate and the like would all be a risk.

If any poster is in any doubt as to whether they should cocoon, err on the side of caution.
    Isolate and call your doctor with your concerns and get a medical opinion.

I'm T1.5 myself too, with some other co-morbidities.
    I'm not cocooning, but I am being very physically distant and a little anal regarding hand-washing and sanitising.
    That said I am still going to shops and for a little walk everyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,442 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

banie01 wrote: »
    Organ transplant recipients and those on immuno suppression meds too.
    Methotrexate and the like would all be a risk.

If any poster is in any doubt as to whether they should cocoon, err on the side of caution.
    Isolate and call your doctor with your concerns and get a medical opinion.

I'm T1.5 myself too, with some other co-morbidities.
    I'm not cocooning, but I am being very physically distant and a little anal regarding hand-washing and sanitising.
    That said I am still going to shops and for a little walk everyday.

Thanks, I had to get some scripts done up by my GP so dropped a letter listing what I need 2 weeks ago he was all about me self isolating which I have been, but might give him a call if I need clarification for work.
    I just find it wierd that the highlighted people with underlying conditions as at risk groups along with the elderly and then no direction for the at risk groups following the announcement last Friday night.
    I've a colleague in the North and she has Asthma I think and she is in Isolation for the 12 weeks as a precaution based on UK government recommendations.
    Has any one on here or have we heard cases of diabetics who got Covid19? Does it hit diabetics harder or can it be mild I wonder?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,485 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Thanks, I had to get some scripts done up by my GP so dropped a letter listing what I need 2 weeks ago he was all about me self isolating which I have been, but might give him a call if I need clarification for work.
    I just find it wierd that the highlighted people with underlying conditions as at risk groups along with the elderly and then no direction for the at risk groups following the announcement last Friday night.
    I've a colleague in the North and she has Asthma I think and she is in Isolation for the 12 weeks as a precaution based on UK government recommendations.
    Has any one on here or have we heard cases of diabetics who got Covid19? Does it hit diabetics harder or can it be mild I wonder?

The Govt split out the original "at risk" category into "extremely vulnerable" and "at risk" when they introduced the new lock in rules.

It was originally across the board advice for "at risk" to distance.
    The split however meant only "medical vulnerable" were advised to cocoon.
    Even Diabetes Ireland originally assumed that the cocooning advice applied to diabetic patients.

They have since updated and aligned their advice to match HSE.
    The split of category and rapid announcement did lead to confusion.

As for Covid-19's danger for diabetics. All the evidence points to a higher mortality rate for Diabetics.
    I know that on the Consultant AMA recently, the answer was somewhere between a 2-3% increase in an individual mortality rate if admitted to ICU with no split yet available between T1 and T2 risk so all were assumed same.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

Has any one on here or have we heard cases of diabetics who got Covid19?

Article here about a T1 who is recoving from Covid-19. https://www.diabetes.co.uk/news/2020/mar/recovering-from-coronavirus-with-type-1-diabetes.html

Tom Hanks is a T2 and has come through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

What is the difference between T1 and T1.5?

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Galbin

Donutz wrote: »
    Just to note, said GP told me years ago when I went to him with concerns that I was a diabetic that he could tell by looking at me that I wasn't a diabetic so I wouldn't take everything he says as gospel.

Wow. Just wow. if he is referring to the link between diabetes and weight, well I am sure you know that that was always the assumption about Type 2 not 1. However, even that is being eroded as we learn about the genetics of Type 2 and the fact that there are a vast amount of people who are even morbidly obese and nowhere near Type 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,099 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Article here about a T1 who is recoving from Covid-19. https://www.diabetes.co.uk/news/2020/mar/recovering-from-coronavirus-with-type-1-diabetes.html

Tom Hanks is a T2 and has come through it.

Wow I never knew Tom Hanks was diabetic

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Donutz

Galbin wrote:
    Wow. Just wow. if he is referring to the link between diabetes and weight, well I am sure you know that that was always the assumption about Type 2 not 1. However, even that is being eroded as we learn about the genetics of Type 2 and the fact that there are a vast amount of people who are even morbidly obese and nowhere near Type 2.

When he did give me a diagnosis, he told me I was a type 2. Spent a few years on metformin and bloods never seemed to get any better. Was only when I went to another doctor in the practice with weight loss and stomach pains that I was sent to my local ED and put on insulin and eventually given the correct diagnosis.

Galbin wrote: »

Ya that is a bit of a crap assumption to jump to by the Doc. When i was diagnosed, i was 9.5 stone, so the obesity card doesn't always ring through. They treated me as Type 1 for years, but now, they know i'm Type 2 (with some Type 1 characteristics, whatever that means? Type 1.5???)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭ebbsy

I found that due to using hand lotions/soaps more often my skin was drying and cracking.

Went down to the chemist and got a tub of emulsifying ointment.

Texture is like lard.

I use it like a soap to wash my hands.

I also rub it through my hands and not wash it off a few times a day.

After 2 days things are definitely improving.

Worth a try.

ebbsy wrote: »
    I found that due to using hand lotions/soaps more often my skin was drying and cracking.

Went down to the chemist and got a tub of emulsifying ointment.

Texture is like lard.

I use it like a soap to wash my hands.

I also rub it through my hands and not wash it off a few times a day.

After 2 days things are definitely improving.

Worth a try.

Thanks for this, my hands are in total bits from all the washing. Really dry, and splitting in places. Pretty sore

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭ebbsy

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Thanks for this, my hands are in total bits from all the washing. Really dry, and splitting in places. Pretty sore

Yep I had the same problems.

Actually the chemist said if you are having a shower to mix some of it in a bowl and use it as a body wash also.

And rub it through your hands but dont wash it off before going to bed is a good tip also. My hands were in bits in the morning before I started this.

Advertisement