Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Diabetes] General Chat and Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭imfml

Of those who have died of Covid 19 13% were diabetic but of course that's one of those context free stats that means little - type 1 or 2? what other chronic/underlying conditions exist in a given case? and so on.

Interesting stat and pity they don't expand beyond "diabetic". Is that global or in Ireland and would you have a link?
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

That's here, the media briefing on RTE News Now has just fired out a load of stats.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,485 ✭✭✭✭banie01

That's here, the media briefing on RTE News Now has just fired out a load of stats.

The UCL team behind the UK modelling have released a calculator to allow excess death in cohorts of age and underlying conditions to be calculated of one is so inclined.

http://covid19-phenomics.org/PrototypeOurRiskCoV.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Apparently, the recommendation now is to treat all COVID19 patients as if they have diabetes due to patients developing diabetes like symptoms during the course of the disease
    https://asweetlife.org/is-covid-19-causing-diabetes/
    From the tweet below.
    https://twitter.com/RossWollen/status/1260338095645491201?s=19

Apparently, the recommendation now is to treat all COVID19 patients as if they have diabetes due to patients developing diabetes like symptoms during the course of the disease

Just on this point of Covid-19 and it's relationship to diabetes.
    The inflammatory nature of the disease and the cytokine storm that results are often treated with high dose steroids which can lead to steroid induced diabetes.
    I've not seen any research on that in a Covid specific manner yet tho.
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5503862/&ved=2ahUKEwihn6Th67PpAhWNTcAKHfVfBXkQFjANegQIBRAB&usg=AOvVaw3QAVZvhhwsw5Ky3HRAKTLZ

Of particular and worrying note with Covid however, is that the UK are now reporting @26% of fatalities as having diabetes!

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/coronavirus-news-live-uk-update-test-antibody-boris-johnson-nhs-cases-vaccine-a9513416.html

Sorry for the long links, I'm on the phone.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

There is also the cytokine level changes that are related to many types and stages of Diabetes. One of my first research projects was on T2DM and the effects of IL1, TNFalpha, IL-6 and so on, on pancreatic alpha cells. It certainly wouldn't help anyone with any metabolic issues, different forms of diabetes or varying levels of obesity.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

I don't think this has been posted. It's not what I wanted to see at this hour of the morning.

Quarter of people who die from coronavirus in England have diabetes

and 13% here do, which for me suggests the issue is ethnic based Type 2 in the UK population. The split betwen type 1 and 2 will be made clear in the UK next week according to the guardian

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

When I saw the news about those stats it did really scare me - am a type 1 here but as with a lot of type 1's I have a few other overactive immune system illnesses.

and 13% here do, which for me suggests the issue is ethnic based Type 2 in the UK population. The split betwen type 1 and 2 will be made clear in the UK next week according to the guardian

I'd lean into that hypothesis myself, particularly with the high incidence of T2 in SE Asian population.

The statistics around the BAME population will be very interesting reading, and if actually borne out in larger populations could portend an absolutely horrific potential death toll across the subcontinent and Africa.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Well seems I've been the victim of the lock down.

Just 13 months after coming off metformin and rarely having fasted readings over 5.4-5.9 the last ten days I've been 7.1-7.9 fasted, so its back to see the doc and knock the carbs on the head again (I'd slipped a lot recently, daughter is an out of work chef who's kept herself busy baking cakes lol).

Hi guys, I'm back lol

Well seems I've been the victim of the lock down.

I'll be honest Mak, I think it'll have quite an impact on a lot of us who were in previously good control.

I've given up my usual morning testing routine as my sleep cycle is banjaxed and they were always in at 10 or higher since lockdown started.

My consultant appt was pushed out to November, so I'm going to focus on spending some time on the rowing machine and trying a bit of lifting to add some muscle mass.

Your effort to control and then overcome your T2 is a great motivation to many on here.

You've got this, you've knocked it into remission once and you will do it again!

banie01 wrote: »
    I'll be honest Mak, I think it'll have quite an impact on a lot of us who were in previously good control.

I've given up my usual morning testing routine as my sleep cycle is banjaxed and they were always in at 10 or higher since lockdown started.

My consultant appt was pushed out to November, so I'm going to focus on spending some time on the rowing machine and trying a bit of lifting to add some muscle mass.

Your effort to control and then overcome your T2 is a great motivation to many on here.

You've got this, you've knocked it into remission once and you will do it again!

Cheers Banie, tbh I knew I was being an ass during lockdown. I was eating way too many carbs, and I don't even have a sweet tooth but who can resist freshly baked cakes with a little jam with a mug of scald? lol.

I was drinking too much too, like many. And I love bread, fecking love the stuff. So I'm off bread, cakes and beers. I'm always training, either running swimming or cycling so I'll continue doing that but I'll make my runs slower and longer.

I've no doubt I'll wrestle back control of it.

Almost forgot, I hadn't rode my motorbike for about five weeks. It was easier to get dressed into my uniform (I'm a soldier) and use the car for work as their was no traffic. So the other day I put on my motorbike trousers and couldn't fasten the waistband lol.

This might sound mad, I missed this thread and reading everyone's joys and wows, and seeing how it helped people newly diagnosed. This thread was a massive help to me getting my head around my initial diagnoses.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,288 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Woke up in an absolute pool of sweat with a headache and sore legs. My laptop was open, undrunk cup of tea beside me. Not sure what happened, did I fall asleep and have a hypo later or am I becoming hypo unaware?

CramCycle wrote: »
    Had my virtual hospital appointment over the phone today. All was grand, sent in all my info via email before hand, doctor seemed happy enough. Bit of weight gain and boluses have increased but the doctor was not concerned in the short term.

I think we'll have phone consultations for awhile yet. My daughters hemophilia consultant has been doing her consultations over the phone and they've been great, just as beneficial and informed as a hospital appointment.

Of course she'd had to go in for blood work, and last week she was admitted to A&E with a severe bleed but the hospital went to great lengths to keep my daughter and staff safe.

Her consultant also said other clinics in hospitals are starting to open up gradually again.

Talk about your weight gain, when I was diagnosed in 2017 I was 130kgs, dropped to 95kg and stayed around 100kgs. I could feel my uniform getting tighter in the last few weeks, then my fasted morning bloods starting creeping up, well I took a chance and weight myself this morning, I'm a fat arse again at 117.4kgs :o

kowloon wrote: »
    Woke up in an absolute pool of sweat with a headache and sore legs. My laptop was open, undrunk cup of tea beside me. Not sure what happened, did I fall asleep and have a hypo later or am I becoming hypo unaware?
    Sounds like a hypo to me. Could be either, have you been running lower than normal lately, hypo unawareness can creep in quick enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,288 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

CramCycle wrote: »
    Sounds like a hypo to me. Could be either, have you been running lower than normal lately, hypo unawareness can creep in quick enough.

Should all be fine, but I didn't eat anything at all yesterday, wondering if the long-acting needs to come down a step. It's whether I had a hypo while awake and can't remember it or just a regular hypo that I slept through. The laptop open, in the middle of a chapter and the undrunk tea, not so sure.

Maybe I haven't been sleeping at all and I've been setting up fight clubs in other cities. :D

kowloon wrote: »

Maybe I haven't been sleeping at all and I've been setting up fight clubs in other cities. :D

Don't invite Mak, sneaky feck is a judo-kai :pac:

banie01 wrote: »
    Don't invite Mak, sneaky feck is a judo-kai :pac:

lol.

Unfortunately I can't see myself doing any Judo this year, which might be the end of my serious Judo participation.

In Oct 2017 I got a foot ulcer (I've pix posted here, but I can post again if anyone has the stomach for it). I was preparing for a competition and thought it was a friction burn, we call them 'mat burns'. So I just taped it for practice and competition day (I had it a few weeks).

After the competition I showed it to a training partner who was a nurse in Beaumont's diabetic clinic, she went nuts at me. The treatment etc is a long story, but I have peripheral neuropathyso I wasn't feeling the ulcer anyway.

But damn, Judo has been a huge passion of mine since forever. I couldn't sit back and coach, I'm competitive and that would destroy me.

But health is your wealth and all that.

Just got my appointment for a virtual consultation with my diabetic nurse for next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Rushy Fields

Hi, I have been having a lot of pains in my two arms over the past year. In particular, I seem to have developed frozen shoulder on my right shoulder with severe pain at times from sudden movements and lying on my right side.
    To compound things I am beginning to suffer with pins and needles in both hands which travels up my arm a bit. This seems to happen in the mornings when in bed and when I am about to get up. :(

I am just wondering is part and parcel of being a T1 Diabetic which I have to suffer with for the rest of my days. ? OR Is there anything I can do about it?
    Anyone with similar experiences, would appreciate your knowledge.....

I am a part-time Farmer and have an office job. But it affects my farming a small bit at the moment but I wouldn't like it to get worse.

Any cures for the tingling/pins and needles in the hands?

Just got my appointment for a virtual consultation with my diabetic nurse for next week.

My consultant rang yesterday to confirm my appointment for next week. 3 waiting rooms being used and have to wait there till I'm called and next in gets to wait alone in it again.

That's interesting which hospital do you go to (I'm UHW in er Waterford)

Almost forgot, I hadn't rode my motorbike for about five weeks. It was easier to get dressed into my uniform (I'm a soldier) and use the car for work as their was no traffic. So the other day I put on my motorbike trousers and couldn't fasten the waistband lol.
    Same here, a few work trousers are no longer comfortable to wear.
    Hi, I have been having a lot of pains in my two arms over the past year. In particular, I seem to have developed frozen shoulder on my right shoulder with severe pain at times from sudden movements and lying on my right side.
    To compound things I am beginning to suffer with pins and needles in both hands which travels up my arm a bit. This seems to happen in the mornings when in bed and when I am about to get up. :(

I am just wondering is part and parcel of being a T1 Diabetic which I have to suffer with for the rest of my days. ? OR Is there anything I can do about it?

I am a part-time Farmer and have an office job. But it affects my farming a small bit at the moment but I wouldn't like it to get worse.

I hate to say it but you need to see a doctor about this. While such symptoms are noted in T1DM, yours sound pretty severe and it would be worth ruling out any other possible issues or even just talk to your consultant to see if they have a reason. I have had similar symptoms in the past but not continuous like yourself.

That's interesting which hospital do you go to (I'm UHW in er Waterford)

Barringtons in Limerick, Harry.

I was surprised because I didn't think there was any such appointments going on for a while yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭pew

I'm dreading my next appointment with my consultant!! My last hba1c was great with gp but that was before lockdown. Let's just say leggings and flowy dresses are my friend right now :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭calfmuscle

Off to the gp to rule out anything nasty causing the pins and needles. Following that straight to physio for the shoulders. Frozen should can take a long time to get better but it does go away! You will not be like this forever!

pew wrote: »
    I'm dreading my next appointment with my consultant!! My last hba1c was great with gp but that was before lockdown. Let's just say leggings and flowy dresses are my friend right now :pac:

I was on duty over the weekend and the lads were wondering why I was wearing a winter fleece barrack jacket, I couldn't tell them it was because my shirts won't fasten lol.

Like I said early, I was mostly using the car for work during the early part of the lockdown. I avoided cycling because I really wasnt' sure how safe I'd be in regards to the virus and being beside other cyclists.

Just before lockdown I was being treated for a stress fracture in my left fifth metatarsal bone, lockdown came and my treatment stopped so I haven't been running.

Although I swim a lot its only running which really keeps my weight down. Its actually funny to see how some of the lads have gained weight in work lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭pew

I was on duty over the weekend and the lads were wondering why I was wearing a winter fleece barrack jacket, I couldn't tell them it was because my shirts won't fasten lol.

Like I said early, I was mostly using the car for work during the early part of the lockdown. I avoided cycling because I really wasnt' sure how safe I'd be in regards to the virus and being beside other cyclists.

Just before lockdown I was being treated for a stress fracture in my left fifth metatarsal bone, lockdown came and my treatment stopped so I haven't been running.

Although I swim a lot its only running which really keeps my weight down. Its actually funny to see how some of the lads have gained weight in work lol

I was doing really well at the start of lockdown getting out for my walks and on the days where I was working I was doing long walks on the way into work. Diet was relatively ok, I was still eating a certain amount of carbs a day any bread or sweet treat I was eating I had made myself so I know exactly what was going into it.

My work was super stressful at this time due to covid and I developed a stomach ulcer due to the stress and the fact I od on acidic foods like tomatoes as a snack and I had grief with my wisdom teeth so nurofen was my friend. Ended up with a build up of acid in my stomach.

My diet has changed yet again to fight the stomach problem so I'm back to eating fiberous foods like strawberries, apples, pears, potatoes, oatmeal which I did cut out. I have a feeling that my hba1c will be up but hopefully under 53.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Hi folks. New joiner to this particular club. Type 2 diagnosis a week ago.

Went to the doc last Tuesday with a recurring infection and happened to mention frequent peeing thinking it might be a kidney infection. He also noticed some weight loss in me which I'd put down to the exercise I'd been doing during lockdown. My blood sugar was too high for his machine to read - so over 27. He sent me straight to ED after telling me I have diabetes - not quite what I expected to hear.

2 nights in hospital and feeling like a pin cushion. HbA1c was 124! Got it down to 15.1 and the let me home on Medformin with instructions to take a week of Diamicron if it stayed over 10 at the weekend - it was 11.3 so taking that for a week since Sunday (later than day I did a 30k hilly cycle and it dropped to 6.4 but up a little since).

I'd been guzzling Coke and eating a lot of chocs/sweets etc. I've obviously cut all them out. Made some changes to diet - cut out white bread in favour of brown. Instead of crisps/choc having yoghurt or fruit. Apart from my coke/chocs my diet wasn't all that bad but I was snacking a lot. I do a lot of baking so found some low sugar recipes - breads I make are usually wholegrain anyway. Always looking for recipes so fire some my way.

So anyway sugars heading in the right direction. My routines are changing to eat better and more regularly. Looking at this more like an opportunity to be healthier than something limiting.

I'm sure I'll have questions so hope I don't bore you too much.

Advertisement