Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Diabetes] General Chat and Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Good for low sucrose content. Bananas are high but they release quite slowly ("flatten the curve!")

• Cherries
    • Watermelon
    • Plums
    • Raspberries, blackberries, blueberries
    • Kiwi
    • Strawberries
    • Lemon/Lemon juice
    • Lime /Lime juice
    • Grapes
    • Persimmons
    • Pears
    • Papaya
    • Prunes
    • Avocado

Obviously most need to be eaten in 'moderate' quantities. Even strawberries which are like Pringles! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

Good for low sucrose content. Bananas are high but they release quite slowly ("flatten the curve!")

• Cherries
    • Watermelon
    • Plums
    • Raspberries, blackberries, blueberries
    • Kiwi
    • Strawberries
    • Lemon/Lemon juice
    • Lime /Lime juice
    • Grapes
    • Persimmons
    • Pears
    • Papaya
    • Prunes
    • Avocado

Obviously most need to be eaten in 'moderate' quantities. Even strawberries which are like Pringles! :)

Is a cup full moderate ?

I'd say half to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭pew

I'd say half too.

I usually only do a handful of fruit. Apples can be a bit funny with me, but if I do eat one it's a kids fun size one. Much prefer pears.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭MrMacPhisto

What fruit can you in loads of without spiking bs , type 2 here

Love rasberries and strawberries

EV_0k0AXgAUmEaX?format=jpg&name=large

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭ebbsy

So my next appointment for the Noctura 400 mask was due to be next month., but I wont obviously be able to fly to Newcastle then.

The opticians I go to there were very helpful. They contacted the makers Polyphotonix who programmed the next mask for me, 3 months worth, and will send it to me next week (has to be in quarantine for a week).

I paid for it over the phone, and then changed my flight to August. Hopefully things might be better then.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭rm212

Just stumbled across this image of pen needles under the microscope while looking at what diabetics find is the best brand needle and best length of needle. Thought it might be relevant here ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭banjobongo

rm212 wrote: »
    Just stumbled across this image of pen needles under the microscope while looking at what diabetics find is the best brand needle and best length of needle. Thought it might be relevant here ;)

wow, cool!
    I have only ever used needles once. I find BD 4mm good myself.

Slightly off topic, how often do ye check up for ketones and what is your average result? I usually check around once a week (no idea if that is enough...) and usually its around 0.2, sometimes 0.1 and once it was 0.3...

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭rm212

banjobongo wrote: »
    wow, cool!
    I have only ever used needles once. I find BD 4mm good myself.

Slightly off topic, how often do ye check up for ketones and what is your average result? I usually check around once a week (no idea if that is enough...) and usually its around 0.2, sometimes 0.1 and once it was 0.3...

Same here, but seems like we’re a minority in single using :D BD 4mm is my needle of choice too.

Oh I wouldn’t bother checking for ketones unless you feel ill (cold, flu etc) or you’ve had sustained high blood sugar (around 13+ for a prolonged period). Under 0.5 is normal for someone not doing keto and not ill! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭uli84

Anyone knows when retina screening will restart?

• Advertisement

No, it'll be quite some time I'd imagine.

https://www.diabeticretinascreen.ie/

No, it'll be quite some time I'd imagine.

https://www.diabeticretinascreen.ie/

Gosh, that sucks 😱

• Registered Users Posts: 18,396 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Hi All,
    So I've some form of Diabetes. Diagosed around the 23rd of March. I hadn't been feeling any of the usual pointers to diabetes but I had taken a blood test with a kit at home a week before the the levels were off the charts so went to the doctor.
    I've since been to the clinic where further blood tests have been taken to see what Type I have.
    In the meantime I had been put on 500mg of Metformin twice a day.
    Over the past two weeks I've been put on insulin (Basel 9 units) and the rapid acting insulin prior to meals in consultation with the nurse who I speak with every couple of days.
    Since I took the home blood test I've cut out almost all "bad foods" and gotten at least 30 minutes activity in each day, started on couch to 5K also and taken up cycling.

Based on the insulin I am taking I am thinking and have been told it may be late onset type 1 but will await proper results on that. My BP, Kidney function is fine however I have slightly elevted colestrol which I have been given medication for - I would hope my lifestyle and dietry changes will bring this under control anyway.

I am almost 40 and my father, uncle and various cousins have had type 2 for varying amounts of years.

There's some great information and stories in this thread, thanks to all of you.

At the moment I am working hard to adjust my pre meal intake to match the meal and working with the nurse to amend my doses in general.

I don't have any questions that havent been answered as of yet but that will probably change.

Thanks for reading.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

They rang me last night to confirm details, I asked out of interest and it depends on guidelines but off the record (I love Ireland) she was expecting October at the earliest.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,485 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Just saw a link to an understanding T2 Diabetes course shared on the Diabetes Ireland FB page.
    https://ut2course.mydiabetes.com/

May be of some use for those on here not on FB or following Diabetes Ireland.

Has anyone managed to get the answer when the retina screening is restarting?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,485 ✭✭✭✭banie01

uli84 wrote: »

When the imminent crush in health resources has passed?
    I say this as someone with incipient retinopathy in both eyes.

The screening programme, whilst important is not the most pressing need at the moment IMO.
    It will be a slow return to routine, and frankly one I'm happy to wait for.

I was previously on a 6 month screening interval at the opthalmic clinic, and was only discharged back to annual screenings at the DRS last May.

This month "should" have been my 1st screening back with DRS after my discharge last May.
    Yes it's a pain that it no appointment is made, and that no timescale on a return is to hand.

But

It will return and there is no real point in getting wound up about it.
    If you feel that Retinopathy is an issue affecting you, your GP can still check you over and forward a referral to your local opthalmic clinic or even forward you to a private clinic.

Healthcare and selfcare hasn't stopped, routine screening programmes are taking a back seat, but if you have a fear regarding retinopathy or a deterioration in your perceived vision, don't wait for scening to resume.
    Talk to your GP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

What are people doing regarding shopping? Are you going into shops yourself, doing it online, getting someone to do it for you? I have not been in a shop in well over a month, we were getting it groceries online until that became too expensive and too hard to get a slot for delivery. My wife has been going to Aldi for the past 2 weeks and I was thinking about doing the shipping this week. As diabetics we are not on the very high risk list so we are not cocooning unless for other associated reasons. We are on the high risk list but the guidelines say shopping is allowed.
    I'm just curious as to what other type 1 diabetics are doing. I'm not sure if I'm being overly cautious of sensibly cautious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

What are people doing regarding shopping? Are you going into shops yourself, doing it online, getting someone to do it for you? I have not been in a shop in well over a month, we were getting it groceries online until that became too expensive and too hard to get a slot for delivery. My wife has been going to Aldi for the past 2 weeks and I was thinking about doing the shipping this week. As diabetics we are not on the very high risk list so we are not cocooning unless for other associated reasons. We are on the high risk list but the guidelines say shopping is allowed.
    I'm just curious as to what other type 1 diabetics are doing. I'm not sure if I'm being overly cautious of sensibly cautious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Herself is doing all the shopping since the first cases here and I doubt I'll be doing much in the next few weeks either, tbh. I just go to the hardware for farming supplies and as rarely as possible.

I'll probably wait until I see the effects of the loosening of the lockdown before I'll change too much, I think.

• Advertisement

Single and shopping, twice a week during decrepits and sickly type slot. I refuse to put anyone else out for this.

I've been doing shopping without issue, I am also going into work as well but there are very few people there. I don't like shopping but more to do with people in general rather than being a diabetic. My control has been really tight of late and I don't feel at risk or at least no more than the general population.
    As a side rant, Aldi (Bray) has been a sh1t show, they have all the signs and security but once I was in the door, no one gave a sh1te about social distancing, LIDL seemed a bit better but it depends on which one, the fancy one in Shankill was the worst for no one caring, with the security getting in my face as I queued to ask me to move lanes and then just standing in the way of me moving and thought I was trouble when I asked would he mind stepping back. LIDL in Bray and Stillorgan were absolutely fine, even at busy times. Tesco in Bray was the same as Aldi, all fine outside, as soon as you got in, staff and customers were almost annoyed with you for trying to follwo the rules, whereas Tesco in Stillorgan seemed pretty good but still not great. All in all, it is shocking how poorly managed large shops are, it would be very simple to put in a one way system. Shopped in Dunnes in Leopardstown for my Mother in Law and I won't be going back there ever again. The issue has been in the main with the customers rather than the staff, although LIDL in Shankill had staff meetings in the middle of the shop, where I have been further away from a person while making love to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭calfmuscle

Iv been doing my own shopping at normal times. I wear a face mask but that's simply incase I'm infecting others as I do some hospital work. I'm trained in how to wear them so not touching my face.
    Cram cycle try aldi and tesco greystones I find them good. I wont go into supervalue greystones until this is over as it's too cramped and I literally walked into someone the last day I was there.

calfmuscle wrote: »
    Iv been doing my own shopping at normal times. I wear a face mask but that's simply incase I'm infecting others as I do some hospital work. I'm trained in how to wear them so not touching my face.

Work in a lab myself, I wince when I go out watching people in gloves. Its like no thought went into it bar they think its a good idea. Gloves are fine provided you act as if they are your hands and act as if you have no gloves on.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Galbin

Hi guys,

Just asking your advice, as you were all very helpful when I posted here with temporary steroid induced diabetes last autumn. Since I have PCOS and high insulin levels they are still keeping an eye on me, and I had bloods and A1C in both November 2019 and March 2020. All have come back completely normal. However, I have a one touch verio and the readings on it are higher than both what my A1C and fasting bloods would suggest. I have actually tested this a number of times with testing just before a fasting glucose test at my GPs, and the verio is way higher.

Has anyone had this issue? Can you recommend a better monitor? Years ago when doctors had me on metformin for the PCOS the endo told me to use a one touch ultra every now and then to keep an eye on things, and I never had this discrepancy issue with the one touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭calfmuscle

CramCycle wrote: »
    Work in a lab myself, I wince when I go out watching people in gloves. Its like no thought went into it bar they think its a good idea. Gloves are fine provided you act as if they are your hands and act as if you have no gloves on.

Totally agree, mum keeps wearing one while shopping and drives home in it and into the house. Facepalm

calfmuscle wrote: »
    Facepalm

Hopefully not while still wearing the glove :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭ddarcy

uli84 wrote: »

Hospitals are now opening up for non emergency operations etc. So I’d say the hour is it will get restarted again fairly soon. Obviously they will need the social distancing, PPE etc to get it going. And that will be the biggest issue I would think.

I know when I did it in Sligo last year that this should be easily done. But my experience in Dublin would be quite different and there will be delays in rolling it out (probably have to have a quarter of the patients seen).

Had my virtual hospital appointment over the phone today. All was grand, sent in all my info via email before hand, doctor seemed happy enough. Bit of weight gain and boluses have increased but the doctor was not concerned in the short term.

• Advertisement

Of those who have died of Covid 19 13% were diabetic but of course that's one of those context free stats that means little - type 1 or 2? what other chronic/underlying conditions exist in a given case? and so on.

Advertisement