Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland's Hospitals owned by the Rich

Options
  • 27-03-2020 12:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭

Like many i wouldn't have known that all these private hospitals ( blackrock,galway clinic etc ) seem to be owned by our own Oligarch rich like Larry Goodman and Denis O Brien.

When will these people ever have enough wealth and to make it worse they wont pay tax in this country, preferring to pay a micky mouse percentage in Luxembourg or Malta. What good are these people to Ireland, fine they will rent out their hospitals at the minute but how much are they pocketing out of it ( more Millions?). These rich seem to be very cosy with the Fine Gael government .

Is it any wonder so many are only existing in this country when a small number of people measure their wealth in Billions and essentially have the vast majority of the country's wealth, theres very little left for the rest of the population.

Comments

Go for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

You didn’t know that private hospitals were owned by private individuals?

Who did you think owned them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭p to the e

LuasSimon wrote: »
    Like many i wouldn't have known that all these private hospitals ( blackrock,galway clinic etc ) seem to be owned by our own Oligarch rich like Larry Goodman and Denis O Brien.

When will these people ever have enough wealth and to make it worse they wont pay tax in this country, preferring to pay a micky mouse percentage in Luxembourg or Malta. What good are these people to Ireland, fine they will rent out their hospitals at the minute but how much are they pocketing out of it ( more Millions?). These rich seem to be very cosy with the Fine Gael government .

Is it any wonder so many are only existing in this country when a small number of people measure their wealth in Billions and essentially have the vast majority of the country's wealth, theres very little left for the rest of the population.

It's "Mickey Mouse".

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

So, you assumed they were all owned by poor people then? Interesting.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 345 ✭✭Tea Shock

These rich seem to be very cosy with the Fine Gael government

What has it got to do with the FG Government?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

I thought the state owned them but only for Private Heathcare members. OK i was wrong , now i realize that Larry Goodman and Denis O Brien own them and unless you have enough money to purchase private healthcare your not allowed in.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

They were trying to keep it private.

#EatTheRich

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭1641

I thought the state owned them but only for Private Heathcare members. OK i was wrong , now i realize that Larry Goodman and Denis O Brien own them and unless you have enough money to purchase private healthcare your not allowed in.

A bit like hotels - or restaurants?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,159 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

that is the point of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,159 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

1641 wrote: »

Or private enterprises in general really.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,808 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

The wealth eventually trickles down, it just has a strange look of debt and rising costs of living though, but plutocracy doesn't worry about that, it's all good!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

There is no right to cheap private healthcare. We should be glad that these business people provide these private hospitals which reduce the burden on the HSE and provide jobs for many professionals.

The likes of Larry Goodman and Denis O Brien didnt steal the publics money. They created wealth. Its a huge distinction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

The reason they want them private is because they dont want to be sharing a ward (much less a room) with Damo who is coming off the drugs or the travelling community who come in to disrupt the running of the establishment.

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    The wealth eventually trickles down, it just has a strange look of debt and rising costs of living though, but plutocracy doesn't worry about that, it's all good!

This is a constantly repeated myth. The idea of trickle down is a caricature of supply side economics. It is fine for you to use the term to mock this school of thought but I hope you are aware that advocates don't believe in this concept of wealth trickling down.

This is a constantly repeated myth. The idea of trickle down is a caricature of supply side economics. It is fine for you to use the term to mock this school of thought but I hope you are aware that advocates don't believe in this concept of wealth trickling down.

Oh I know it's bull****, but you d be surprised of the amount of people that still truly believe it

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭65535

Corruption, Greed, Cronyism, Bribery, Undue Influence, Nepotism etc. etc.

It is sad to see top of the range hospitals under utilised whilst people can not get their ailments treated.

However, along comes Corona and now (at least for a while) you will see 'a flattening of the curve'

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Ireland's Hospitals owned by the Rich
    Not only rich, but Rich!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Wealth of the world is unlimited. Nothing stopping you..

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,378 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Tell you what

Private healthcare in Ireland is not much better than you get in the public system in the UK. Let's nationalise all these private hospitals (at a fair market value) and let the taxpayer pay for that and their running costs. Of course that means the tax rates go up, but those of us currently paying through the nose for our private healthcare are better off. And then I can head up to BUPA in Belfast for my healthcare. Everyone, but particularly me, wins. Everyone pays for these extra public services and I get better private treatment in the UK. Sounds great to me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

i dont think anyone would object to paying additional income tax if it meant we could stop paying for vhi etc...the trouble is, do we trust official Ireland not to make a complete bollix of it?

i dont think anyone would object to paying additional income tax if it meant we could stop paying for vhi etc...the trouble is, do we trust official Ireland not to make a complete bollix of it?

can we trust private health insurance not to extract wealth from our health system, thus reducing the quality of service we get, in order to maximize their profits?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Our spend on administration for healthcare is insane, you couldnt trust them, it would cost them twice as much as all of us paying private health insurance and deliver half the service

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭FVP3

1641 wrote: »

But not like roads, or ports.

Health insurance in Ireland is very cheap. Youd pay vastly more in many countries. Private healthcare is generally better than public but its not hugely better. The main reason it is better despite being cheap because it is subject to some markets but its not a lot better as medicine is full of cartels and horrendous increasing demand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭FVP3

If I could save my health insurance per month ( which I, not my employer pays for) then sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    can we trust private health insurance not to extract wealth from our health system, thus reducing the quality of service we get, in order to maximize their profits?
    why would i expect a private business not to extract profits? its a contradiction in terms.

i dont want to pay for health insurance. i really dont. but i have the means and i'm not prepared to gamble on my or my family's health.

is there evidence that ending private health insurance would lead to an improvement in public healthcare? we spend more and more every year and yet we are told conditions in hospitals get continuously worse. So it's not purely a money issue.

FVP3 wrote: »
    But not like roads, or ports.

There is a misconception that private means for the rich. That is not true. Plenty of ordinary people use private healthcare. Another example are roads. The M50 is a 'private' road. It was funded by business so there is a toll. Works fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

Tea Shock wrote: »
    What has it got to do with the FG Government?

massive state subsidies to private hospitals :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

why would i expect a private business not to extract profits? its a contradiction in terms.

i dont want to pay for health insurance. i really dont. but i have the means and i'm not prepared to gamble on my or my family's health.

is there evidence that ending private health insurance would lead to an improvement in public healthcare? we spend more and more every year and yet we are told conditions in hospitals get continuously worse. So it's not purely a money issue.

there are profits, and then there are profits! id class excessive wealth extraction from the private sector as 'inefficiencies', just like the inefficiencies of the public sector

completely understandable statement, so paying for health insurance makes sense

yes and no id imagine, but i suspect we may never be able to untangle the complexity of having an intertwined system. completely agree, this isnt just a money issue, health care systems are highly complex systems

Advertisement