Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,432 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

GreeBo wrote: »
    The #1 player in the world practicing while competitions are cancelled is hardly "for the sake of it".

If he stops completely then his touch etc will take longer to come back.
    Sure he cant practice the heat of battle, but thats only important if you are at the top of the leaderboard. You wont be there if your basic skills are rusty.

Exactly - It seemed as if it was a slight-of-relief that the season has stopped for him hence my mentioning of lack of motivation. Someone like him should be desperately hungry and just from his vocabulary in speaking about the game in that interview, it's not there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭OEP

The #1 player in the world practicing while competitions are cancelled is hardly "for the sake of it".

If he stops completely then his touch etc will take longer to come back.
    Sure he cant practice the heat of battle, but thats only important if you are at the top of the leaderboard. You wont be there if your basic skills are rusty.

Again, the boards experts knowing more than the world number 1 about what he needs to do to keep his touch.

callaway92 wrote: »
    Exactly - It seemed as if it was a slight-of-relief that the season has stopped for him hence my mentioning of lack of motivation. Someone like him should be desperately hungry and just from his vocabulary in speaking about the game in that interview, it's not there.

I think you'll find he is having a bit of downtime at the moment. What is it 2 weeks since the Thursday if the Players?

I'm sure he will be back practicing and working on his game in the near future.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,121 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

OEP wrote: »
    Again, the boards experts knowing more than the world number 1 about what he needs to do to keep his touch.

Again the Rory brigade proclaiming that he can do no wrong and never makes a bad call.

Exactly wrote: »
    I think you'll find he is having a bit of downtime at the moment. What is it 2 weeks since the Thursday if the Players?

I'm sure he will be back practicing and working on his game in the near future.

Unfair comment OEP

Look, I'm as big a fan of McIlroy as anyone (and always stand up for him on here) and have said for more than 2 years now that pound-for-pound he's the best player in the world.

My big disappointment is his under-achieving (yes). He could've set a legacy in the Sport but he clearly doesn't want that even though he has the raw talent. Like I mentioned earlier - A clear lack-of-motivation hangs over him.

His tone and word usage age worried me from that interview. Nothing about missing the game..Nothing about dying to get back into it...just typical stuff about 'I need the challenge/competition to get me going'.

It's akin to Tyson Fury after he won his first Major World Title (his example of extreme). He lost all motivation because he had seemingly achieved it all.

• Advertisement

Again the Rory brigade proclaiming that he can do no wrong and never makes a bad call.

I'm not proclaiming anything but they are firmly in an off season now not by their own design. Why not enjoy a few weeks downtime.

Even in the current climate though it seem haters are still gonna hate.

Exactly wrote: »
    I'm not proclaiming anything but they are firmly in an off season now not by their own design. Why not enjoy a few weeks downtime.

Even in the current climate though it seem haters are still gonna hate.

Its not "hating" to suggest that a complete hiatius of practice seems inadvisable for the world #1.

I dont think anyone is suggesting that he should be putting in 16 hours a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭benny79

Yea I kinda got that too especially since he said hes still going after it in the gym! But then I was surprised when I heard a lot of golfers dont touch their clubs in the off season (around xmas) even Lowry said it. Now I dont expect them to be hitting balls for hours but Ill still expect them to keep there touch going..

Also the fact Rory was in a fair bit of form. But then hes probably just saying that and will probably get back into it after a week or 2.

Nothing to do with the Rory brigade, if you said that about any pro I'd say the same thing. Call him out on poor golf all you like, you'll see I've never disputed that, but at this point you're literally looking for anything to criticize him for.

Unfair comment OEP

Look, I'm as big a fan of McIlroy as anyone (and always stand up for him on here) and have said for more than 2 years now that pound-for-pound he's the best player in the world.

My big disappointment is his under-achieving (yes). He could've set a legacy in the Sport but he clearly doesn't want that even though he has the raw talent. Like I mentioned earlier - A clear lack-of-motivation hangs over him.

His tone and word usage age worried me from that interview. Nothing about missing the game..Nothing about dying to get back into it...just typical stuff about 'I need the challenge/competition to get me going'.

It's akin to Tyson Fury after he won his first Major World Title (his example of extreme). He lost all motivation because he had seemingly achieved it all.

He's just had one of the best 12/18 months of golf in his career, you can hardly question his motivation. Not getting into the not having won a major, we know this, and he needs to do this very soon.

Its not "hating" to suggest that a complete hiatius of practice seems inadvisable for the world #1.

I dont think anyone is suggesting that he should be putting in 16 hours a day.

Who says it's inadvisable?

• Advertisement

benny79 wrote: »
    Yea I kinda got that too especially since he said hes still going after it in the gym! But then I was surprised when I heard a lot of golfers dont touch their clubs in the off season (around xmas) even Lowry said it. Now I dont expect them to be hitting balls for hours but Ill still expect them to keep there touch going..

Also the fact Rory was in a fair bit of form. But then hes probably just saying that and will probably get back into it after a week or 2.

Why do you expect that? I don't get this. You just said a lot the golfers don't touch their clubs in the off season (all probably), so clearly there's a reason for this.

He's just had one of the best 12/18 months of golf in his career, you can hardly question his motivation. Not getting into the not having won a major, we know this, and he needs to do this very soon.

Jesus I know this but there's scope to even be better.

7 of the 17 tournaments he made the cut in (on the PGA Tour) last year, the 4th Round was his weakest.

I don't personally think he has the winning/killer mentality that a golfer as-a-whole needs to set a legacy (which he has the raw talent to do)

Why do you have to be so aggressive with the poster with questions like this?

It's his opinion on an opinion-forum

Why do you have to be so aggressive with the poster with questions like this?

It's his opinion on an opinion-forum

That's hardly aggressive.

I'm just curious to know who says it's inadvisable, I'd imagine his professional coaches don't think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,769 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Some load of manure in here is usual.

Thought the interview was excellent. But any stick to beat the world number 1 will be used.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭benny79

Why do you expect that? I don't get this. You just said a lot the golfers don't touch their clubs in the off season (all probably), so clearly there's a reason for this.

Yeah that probably is that they need a break! I just found it surprising that they do it.. Especially as golf is such fine margins. I taught they would maybe just do a bit for an hour or 2 to stop getting rusty. But then again they play nearly 5 days a week + practise + travel suppose they dont want burn out either.

Some load of manure in here is usual.

Thought the interview was excellent. But any stick to beat the world number 1 will be used.

Have stated numerous times throughout the years on this forum that he’s my favourite player etc so this is fairly moot.

You literally quoted the answer to your own question.
    *I'M* saying that *I* think its inadvisable.

You literally quoted the answer to your own question.
    *I'M* saying that *I* think its inadvisable.

Fair point!

I don't think you're the best person for him to be be taking advice from though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

I wonder if the cancellation/postponement of the Masters has been a big downer for Rory.
    The possibility of winning the last major he needs for a Grand Slam must be a blow.

• Advertisement

Fair point!

I don't think you're the best person for him to be be taking advice from though

He isn't taking my calls at the moment so I'm relegated to just posting my opinion on a discussion forum

• Registered Users Posts: 15,871 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

For all the people who are giving out that Rory is not taking golf seriously and pontificating that he should be practicing;

well i hope that those of you who are currently also out of work are using this time to practice doing your excel sheets, your sales pitches, folding clothes, washing dishes, pulling pints, waiting tables or whatever you do for a living!

FFS people are entitled to a bit of a break!

Seve OB wrote: »
    For all the people who are giving out that Rory is not taking golf seriously and pontificating that he should be practicing;

well i hope that those of you who are currently also out of work are using this time to practice doing your excel sheets, your sales pitches, folding clothes, washing dishes, pulling pints, waiting tables or whatever you do for a living!

What a weird comment.

He's a Sportsperson specifically focused on one sport.

WFH btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,197 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Your point probably would have been better made and more pertinent if you applied it to other elite sports people. But I agree with the essence of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

I thought it was a good interview. I can also understand the reason he said he hasn't touched a club since the Thursday of the Players.. namely that he has nothing to work towards because he doesn't know when golf will start again.

I wouldn't worry.. he will have his game as sharp as he can by the time competitive golf returns.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,197 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

HighLine wrote: »
    I thought it was a good interview. I can also understand the reason he said he hasn't touched a club since the Thursday of the Players.. namely that he has nothing to work towards because he doesn't know when golf will start again.

I wouldn't worry.. he will have his game as sharp as he can by the time competitive golf returns.

Also, like the footballers, the sharpeness/competitive edge of all players will probably be blunted a bit, so chances are they will all take time to get up to optimum levels when comps restart.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

Jack Nicklaus cut back his tournament schedule and concentrated on the majors.
    He went fishing, and spent time with his family, attending their school events and doing normal things.

Everybody needs a break,
    Climb a mountain or jump in a lake.
    Some head off to exotic places,
    Others go to the Galway Races.
    Mattie goes to the South of France,
    Jim to the dogs, Peter to the dance.
    A cousin of mine goes potholing,
    A cousin of here's loves Joe Dolan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

When he injured his ankle a few years back playing 5-a-side he said that he didn't pick up a club for over 6 weeks when he was recovering. When he did start to hit balls again he said it felt great that his game was still there.
    He didn't seem to have too much trouble getting his full game back.

Questioning his desire/hunger?

Changes his schedule to be more competitive in the Fedex cup - wins it
    Says he wants to retain his world #1 ranking - done
    We all know he wants that masters to complete the grand slam
    He also wants to win the most majors for a European player

And no matter what all his detractors say, he is the most watchable golfer on tour

BraveDonut wrote: »
    When he injured his ankle a few years back playing 5-a-side he said that he didn't pick up a club for over 6 weeks when he was recovering. When he did start to hit balls again he said it felt great that his game was still there.
    He didn't seem to have too much trouble getting his full game back.

Questioning his desire/hunger?

Changes his schedule to be more competitive in the Fedex cup - wins it
    Says he wants to retain his world #1 ranking - done
    We all know he wants that masters to complete the grand slam
    He also wants to win the most majors for a European player

And no matter what all his detractors say, he is the most watchable golfer on tour

As noted umpteen times, I've noted that he's my favourite player on Tour.

In regards to the other two bolded points....come on..that's guff that any player would say.

Why hasn't he achieved it yet? He hasn't won a Major since 2014...He clearly has the talent to do so. He's the World no. 1 and imo the best Raw Talented player in the World.

Why hasn't he wont a Major in his last 19 starts?

2019 - Made 3 Cuts

4th Round was his best round in two of those (when the shackles are off probably and there's no pressure on)

2018 - Made 3 Cuts

The Masters he had a rubbish 4th Round (one of the few top players to shoot over par for it).. Had a good British Open that year.

2017 - Made 3 Cuts

In all three of those the 4th Round was his best score (shackles off again and no pressure)

2016 - Made 2 Cuts.. Average Masters ruined by third round 77 (was placed 2nd before that round). In the Open he shot a final round 67 - his best round, when again, there was no pressure on him.

2015 - Made 3 Cuts (out of 3)

Masters - 4th Round was his best by a mile and shot himself up to 4th place.
    US Open, 4th round was his best by a mile and shot himself up to 9th place.
    PGA Championship, 4rd Round was his second best (after his third round where he was never gonna win the tournament after 2 rounds anyway)

-- -- --

Main jist of the story is here is that there is a mentality block. There's never any fire in him when things go wrong.. He shrugs it off. That might be his way of dealing with things.

Talent-wise, best golfer in the World. Not so much mentally.

He seems to be happy enough to plug away at what he's doing currently (which is fine)...but there'll be no legacy in reality. If he really wanted to have more Majors now, he'd have won more - Hence citing a lack of motivation.

Disclaimer one more time - I'm a massive fan of him as a player and his swing etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,769 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

As noted umpteen times, I've noted that he's my favourite player on Tour.

In regards to the other two bolded points....come on..that's guff that any player would say.

Why hasn't he achieved it yet? He hasn't won a Major since 2014...He clearly has the talent to do so. He's the World no. 1 and imo the best Raw Talented player in the World.

Why hasn't he wont a Major in his last 19 starts?

2019 - Made 3 Cuts

4th Round was his best round in two of those (when the shackles are off probably and there's no pressure on)

2018 - Made 3 Cuts

The Masters he had a rubbish 4th Round (one of the few top players to shoot over par for it).. Had a good British Open that year.

2017 - Made 3 Cuts

In all three of those the 4th Round was his best score (shackles off again and no pressure)

2016 - Made 2 Cuts.. Average Masters ruined by third round 77 (was placed 2nd before that round). In the Open he shot a final round 67 - his best round, when again, there was no pressure on him.

2015 - Made 3 Cuts (out of 3)

Masters - 4th Round was his best by a mile and shot himself up to 4th place.
    US Open, 4th round was his best by a mile and shot himself up to 9th place.
    PGA Championship, 4rd Round was his second best (after his third round where he was never gonna win the tournament after 2 rounds anyway)

-- -- --

Main jist of the story is here is that there is a mentality block. There's never any fire in him when things go wrong.. He shrugs it off. That might be his way of dealing with things.

Talent-wise, best golfer in the World. Not so much mentally.

He seems to be happy enough to plug away at what he's doing currently (which is fine)...but there'll be no legacy in reality. If he really wanted to have more Majors now, he'd have won more - Hence citing a lack of motivation.

Disclaimer one more time - I'm a massive fan of him as a player and his swing etc.

What makes you think he's anymore talented than Brooks, JT Rahn? Irish people seem to have this stuck in their head and I'm not sure why. Maybe because he was chipping into a washing machine when he was 6?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement