Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

3 over after front 9. A bit wayward off the tee and with some approaches.

Getting back to level by 18th should be within him.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭sliabh 1956

its all gone a bit pear shaped im afraid

• Registered Users Posts: 21,154 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Well he did. The hard way, but very impressive final 3 holes

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭sliabh 1956

He did well done Rory

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

Great finish but you'd think 66 needed at least tomorrow

• Advertisement

Got my wish after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,682 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Got my wish after all.

Yeah but the tournament has been cancelled! No golf until the masters!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

No fear of "current world #1" on the thread title needing a change anytime soon...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,084 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    No fear of "current world #1" on the thread title needing a change anytime soon...

Another perspective, the commentators last night said he had a chance over the next couple of tournaments to build a good lead in ranking points before Majors with Keopke out of sorts, that will not happen now.

Yeah but the tournament has been cancelled! No golf until the masters!

All in vain so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I fell asleep before the last 3. Raging

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭benny79

and people say he doesn't grind.. He grinded hard to get to level petty its been cancelled 1 of my favourite tournaments ...

Harry Diamond was caddying for Rory in Tour events as far back as 2005.

https://twitter.com/EuropeanTour/status/1241454532485353476?s=19

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    Harry Diamond was caddying for Rory in Tour events as far back as 2005.

https://twitter.com/EuropeanTour/status/1241454532485353476?s=19

As a 16 yr old amateur, do you think anyone is surprised that he asked a mate to carry his bag?

Dav010 wrote: »
    As a 16 yr old amateur, do you think anyone is surprised that he asked a mate to carry his bag?

He asked someone who knows his game better than almost anyone and another one of the top amateurs in Ireland to caddy for him. Seems like a logical choice regardless of age/status.

This can go on and on at the end of the day he's World no 1 has won majors and of late is a regular top 5/10 finisher So I think he knows what he is doing.. regards Caddy.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

And the Rankings have been frozen so he will be No.1 for quite a while more on paper

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

slave1 wrote: »
    And the Rankings have been frozen so he will be No.1 for quite a while more on paper
    These weeks wont count towards total!!

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭liamoreilly

...Jamie Rednapp interviewing rory on Instagram now...

...Jamie Rednapp interviewing rory on Instagram now...

Just watched this, actually an excellent interview. I didn’t think Rednapp would go near the Masters implosion, but he did. I thought Mcillroys response was brilliant, having to share a private plane with Swartzel the next day with the trophy and jacket there in front of him, and not wanting to let his Dad see him cry that night, but breaking down with his mother. Really honest interview, I enjoyed it immensely.

• Advertisement

Dav010 wrote: »
    Just watched this, actually an excellent interview. I didn’t think Rednapp would go near the Masters implosion, but he did. I thought Mcillroys response was brilliant, having to share a private plane with Swartzel the next day with the trophy and jacket there in front of him, and not wanting to let his Dad see him cry that night, but breaking down with his mother. Really honest interview, I enjoyed it immensely.

Anyone got a link to it?

Anyone got a link to it?

Sorry, not on Instagram, watched it on son’s phone.

I taught it was brilliant to be honest and wouldn't be a fan of Rory was like 2 mates just having a chat.. have to say Rorys house looked must bigger than Rednapps! Im sure there both huge. Also find it interesting that he lives on the Bear trap course (PGA National)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,356 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Within the first 30 seconds of that, I'd severely question Rory's lack of motivation for the sport (something which many of the highly paid athletes lack).

It's the difference of a lack of killer instinct and wanting to set a legacy.

Pound-for-pound, in regards to raw talent, he is the best player in the world, hence his regular top 10/5 finishes.

However, he isn't going to take the step of running the sport unfortunately which was and still probably is a possibility if his mentality changed.

He has 'done it all' per se...What more is there to achieve?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,682 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

What makes you think he's more talented than anyone else?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭OEP

callaway92 wrote: »
    Within the first 30 seconds of that, I'd severely question Rory's lack of motivation for the sport (something which many of the highly paid athletes lack).

It's the difference of a lack of killer instinct and wanting to set a legacy.

Pound-for-pound, in regards to raw talent, he is the best player in the world, hence his regular top 10/5 finishes.

However, he isn't going to take the step of running the sport unfortunately which was and still probably is a possibility if his mentality changed.

He has 'done it all' per se...What more is there to achieve?

I disagree. Practicing for the sake of practicing can be worse than doing nothing. This is unprecedented, it's not like coming back from injury where you have a target of when to be back etc. . He might have some things he needs to work on but what if this goes on for the next 3 months? You can't keep flogging balls on the range for that long - it needs to be tuned in competition.

Also, as he says, it's the competition that really drives him. I'd imagine most sports people are like that.

What makes you think he's more talented than anyone else?

I think he's the best golfer in the World.

Like the way I think Jon Jones is the best Mixed Martial Artist in the World...like the way I think Lionel Messi is the best Footballer in the world.

Personal opinion based on raw talent.

OEP wrote: »
    I disagree. Practicing for the sake of practicing can be worse than doing nothing. This is unprecedented, it's not like coming back from injury where you have a target of when to be back etc. . He might have some things he needs to work on but what if this goes on for the next 3 months? You can't keep flogging balls on the range for that long - it needs to be tuned in competition.

Also, as he says, it's the competition that really drives him. I'd imagine most sports people are like that.

Nice to hear a different opinion which is the whole point of this forum.

I generally agree on trying to peak only when it's needed, but the way he has completely switched off from the game is what hit me the most.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,088 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

OEP wrote: »

The #1 player in the world practicing while competitions are cancelled is hardly "for the sake of it".

If he stops completely then his touch etc will take longer to come back.
    Sure he cant practice the heat of battle, but thats only important if you are at the top of the leaderboard. You wont be there if your basic skills are rusty.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement