Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

He has played cracking golf in his last 12 holes. Driving it superbly and looks in complete control of the ball. Looks so much more comfortable putting on these Bermuda greens even though he has missed a few chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,129 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Only saw since his tee shot for his eagle. Amazing golf to watch over the few holes

Leader at -6 now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

• Registered Users Posts: 17,660 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Hopefully he can get a win soon as his play deserves.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Banner2theend

Hopefully he can get a win soon as his play deserves.

On the money mantis. Keep this play up come early April then a career grand slam and a first green jacket might well be on the cards at Augusta national.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

What a player. This consistency early in the year is unbelievable

• Registered Users Posts: 14,006 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Back on top. Just caught the end of a graphic, -51 for par 5s, best on tour, I missed what the time period is but it’s some stat.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

After the shocking play of the last two holes, he still lies only two back and scoring is the hardest there today since 2012 with an average over 74.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭sliabh 1956

Not a bad round to day all things considered

• Advertisement

OB off the tee at the 9th for Rory. His driving hasn't been great today.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

2 doubles on the front ends his challenge. He’ll be annoyed after this week

Keano wrote: »
    2 doubles on the front ends his challenge. He’ll be annoyed after this week

If he shoots 34 on the back nine or better, he could still win this! Not writing him off just yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,129 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Tried to force it after the first bogey, finished it off as a comp for him.

Overall a good week though

• Registered Users Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

If he shoots 34 on the back nine or better, he could still win this! Not writing him off just yet!
    I'd say Hatton would have to have a few bad holes too tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Only 4 off, Hatton under pressure

Edit:he's blown it for sure now, 3 putt

• Registered Users Posts: 20,760 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Rory only 3 back from 2nd , and almost giving up .

crazy ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Rory only 3 back from 2nd , and almost giving up .

crazy ****.

he has been awful but this is going to bring his top 10 finish % up 70% over the last two years

People praise Koepka for giving up when not in contention

• Registered Users Posts: 20,760 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

gypsy79 wrote: »
    he has been awful but this is going to bring his top 10 finish % up 70% over the last two years

People praise Koepka for giving up when not in contention

Yes , I'm very pro Rory and feel a major should happen this year.

But the way he is floating around here is a bit back to the old drop the head style of last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭big_drive

It’s funny in a way, only finishing 5th these days seems a poor week! Shows how high the expectations and standards are around him

• Advertisement

big_drive wrote: »
    It’s funny in a way, only finishing 5th these days seems a poor week! Shows how high the expectations and standards are around him
    Before the round started, I felt level par could be the winning score for him. Turns out I was right. :)

The self-identified issue caught him out this week. His driving accuracy is not where it should be. And when it's off, even a little bit and the wind is up, it's a recipe for disaster with the length he hits his drives.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Hard crowd but in all honestly I feel he will be disappointed with his Sunday round, that's where you need the killer shots and clutch putts

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Anatom

Disappointing final round for sure, but its a fifth place finish in another top field. You have to take the positives away from that and work on what you need to improve on...

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Rory McIlroy has now officially passed Nick Faldo to take third spot in the number of weeks at World number one rankings on 98. Nearest challenger in the current crop is DJ with 91 weeks. Highly unlikely that he'll pass Greg Norman's 331 and no chance of even getting close to Tiger Woods' 683. :eek:.

Still a notable milestone. Only another couple of weeks to get into triple figures.
    And that's the 100th week started. Still losing a tad more ranking points than he's gaining, so a win would be useful soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,539 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Sawgrass this week for Rory

• Registered Users Posts: 27,034 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

big_drive wrote: »

Expectations are always going to be high when you are world #1 and 2 shots off the lead in second place going into Sunday...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Mushy wrote: »
    Tried to force it after the first bogey, finished it off as a comp for him.

Overall a good week though

I doubt he will see it as a good week, more of another tourney that he frittered away. He was -6 after day one, with nobody really of note nearby, by the time he got out for his 2nd round he was still in the lead, perfect time to kick on and dominate the field but he failed to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

i'm a big rory fan but i really want to see some stats of opening rounds compared to the other 3. he always seems to falter or maybe all golfers do and i jsut don't notice

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Kauto

Another missed opportunity for McIlroy. Another failure to get it done in the final round. You can set your watch by him. Rory on his B game can get into contention in any of these tournaments. The failure of people to criticise him when he should clearly have wiped the floor with that field from the position he was in.
    Hopefully he is within a shot or two on Sunday and he will be a full bank lay. There must be a serious mental block developing with his failure to convert all these chances.

• Advertisement

i'm a big rory fan but i really want to see some stats of opening rounds compared to the other 3. he always seems to falter or maybe all golfers do and i jsut don't notice
    Last ten tournaments. You could probably say that about two of his last three, but it doesn't seem to be a pattern. Four 67 finishes there (seven <70). But also three 70+. I'd say it's just golf. :)

Tournament|Place|Rd 1|Rd 2|Rd 3|Rd 4
    Arnold Palmer|T5|66|73|73|76
    WGC Mexico|5|65|69|68|68
    Genesis|T5|68|67|68|73
    Farmers|T3|67|73|67|69
    DP World TC|4|64|74|65|73
    WGC HSBC|1|67|67|67|68
    Zozo|T3|72|65|63|67
    Dunhill|T26|70|66|70|67
    BMW PGA|T9|70|66|70|67
    Omega|T2|67|63|69|67

This discussion has been closed.