Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Dunnes gone very expensive?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

guil wrote: »
    We found that while it was cheaper in aldi for similar stuff, it wasn't last as long .

That means you were buying less volume - that alone wouldn't be reason to change shops. Just buy more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

Has been crazy dear for most stuff for ages!where I’m located, the nearest stores are actually two big dunnes stores... used to go to them a lot for that reason...that’s all changed since they started going up and up in price... essential items all cost more than everywhere else... so although people are fooled into buying a lot of stuff there to get your 10 off 50... you’re paying a lot more for a lot less. As someone here also said, they’re tryin to market their stuff as premium goods like Marks and Sparks.... but their stuff is far from premium ... I actually shop around in a mixture of the shops... I buy a bit in aldi, a bit in lidl, and a bit in tesco. There is no SuperValu in Galway city so only get to shop there if traveling home at a weekend and decide to stop by one on way home... it’s a pity cause I always find them to be very good

• Registered Users Posts: 23,725 ✭✭✭✭zell12

guil wrote: »
    We switched to aldi a few months ago after doing the shopping in Dunnes for years, didn't last too long before going back to Dunnes. We found that while it was cheaper in aldi for similar stuff, it wasn't last as long so by Monday or Tuesday we would need to go get some more in either the local centra or spin in to Tesco.
    We are a family of 5 and it is usually €130-€150 and that includes a box of bottles.
    :confused::confused:
    So ye ate more Aldi stuff because it is nicer and better quality?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Ok I'll grab the receipt and post it up then I'll try Aldi/Lidl.. Someone mentioned something along the lines of snobbery going there but that's wrong, I just got into the habit of doing Dunnes even though it's farther away than Lidl....

@Guil stop buying those bottles of p1ss you drink...:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

the price difference between Dunnes and Lidl is eyewatering - its easily triple as expensive to shop there. Well worth defecting to Lidl. Sure there are a few branded things you might fancy in Dunnes ( washing power, vegan freezer things, the occasional fancy thing ) but otherwise if you are watching the humdreds then stay away from Dunnes - the quality is the same for meat, both do all Irish products in meat and poultry/eggs - the wine and cheese selection (and prices) in Lidl is next to none - far better to have your money in your pocket than self servicing in Dunnes stores and lining their coffers weekly. Pre washed salads and pre Choped bags of veg also available in Lidl - at half Dunnes prices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭BillyBird

GavMan wrote: »
    My advice is to try Tesco and switch to some of the Tesco own brands for various things. Stuff that you can't go wrong with like eggs, butter, bog roll, kitchen towel, etc. Leave the branded stuff for the likes of soft drinks or cereals maybe.

Branded stuff is going to kill you though

Kellogs Bran Flakes 750g €4.00
    Tesco Bran Flakes 750g €1.59

Down the road at Lidl you'd be paying €0.95 (€0.63 for 500g)

Each to their own and all but they're bran flakes.

Stick up the shopping list or the receipt and we shall start a project and cut down the costs
    Something like this :)
    https://twitter.com/dril/status/384408932061417472?lang=en

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

BillyBird wrote: »

I picked up Dorset cereals (museli) the other day and it was SEVEN EURO. I nearly had a heart attack - when did that happen? I used routinely have to or three different flavour boxes of it in the press . Lidl museli comes in copy cat flavours and is delicious - barely e2. You just can’t justify the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭kevinc565

Mr_Muffin wrote: »
    The vouchers are just to bring you back, i.e. I have this voucher, I may as well go to Dunnes to use it. The price of everything in store is increased to account for the voucher.

Logically. there is nothing for nothing in the world.

BillyBird wrote: »

I picked up Dorset cereals (museli) the other day and it was SEVEN EURO. I nearly had a heart attack - when did that happen? I used routinely have to or three different flavour boxes of it in the press . Lidl museli comes in copy cat flavours and is delicious - barely e2. You just can’t justify the difference.

irish people are one of the biggest brand buyers in the world. insecurity, explains the high prices in our shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Personally always found them expensive. My parents spend hundreds there and I just dont see what they get for it. Then again they are Aldi and Lidl snobs - "they dont have all the branded stuff blah blah".

The vouchers are a false economy I think. People overspending just to get up to the next fifty euro so they can get a discount on stuff they only bought to get a discount???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,225 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

kevinc565 wrote: »

irish people are one of the biggest brand buyers in the world. insecurity, explains the high prices in our shops.

The only branded products you really need to buy are
    Kellogg's cornflakes and YR sauce everything else is much the same

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Abel Ruiz

I love those snobby comments “I’m tempted to try Aldi or Lidl”. Like there was a stigma attached to it shopping there or something.

I dont know anyone that has a "sitma" towards lidl or aldi. They are great shops.

But the checkouts are awful, not enough open, then its rush rush rush, and everything is thrown at you. I only go to those stores either very early or very late.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Abel Ruiz wrote: »
    I dont know anyone that has a "sitma" towards lidl or aldi. They are great shops.

But the checkouts are awful, not enough open, then its rush rush rush, and everything is thrown at you. I only go to those stores either very early or very late.

There absolutely is one in the UK; but Lidl in the UK and Lidl in Ireland are massively different in terms of what they stock, store quality etc. Aldi has less divergence but is still "better" here.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Maggie Benson

The problem is that elderly people don't like flitting from one supermarket to another in the present climate - hence they are confined to selecting one and getting finished and out of there as quickly as possible.

It's only rush rush rush if you are trying to fill your bags at the checkout instead of just putting stuff back into the trolley after it is scanned and packing bags at the designated shopping counters. One of the reasons they can keep prices low is that they have only limited numbers of cashiers who are there to get people through quickly. It's a trade off.

I've got so used to it now, that the odd time I do go to Dunnes I find myself getting impatient at people who stand chatting to the cashier well after their transaction is completed and spend ages rifling through ten or fifteen vouchers to see which ones are in date. Not to mention the people whose shopping reaches 48euro and then must go running off down the aisles to find something to "bring it up to 50" so they can use another voucher :D

The problem is that elderly people don't like flitting from one supermarket to another in the present climate - hence they are confined to selecting one and getting finished and out of there as quickly as possible.
    I do agree it can be a generational thing. My parents are in their 70's and a lot of the reason they still shop in Dunnes is simply because they always have. I think the brand loyalty might be due to their age too tbh. They simply refuse to believe that some of the wines and cheeses in Lidl and Aldi are, as well as cheaper, actually far superior. Aldi's Stellenbosch for example... though it's early in the day to be thinking about wine.

I have a snob of an aunt who imposes herself and her mouse of a husband for dinner a few times a year. A real M&S only type, think Hyacinth in Keeping Up Appearances...on speed. There's nothing better than seeing her smack her smug lips together and comment on how divine the chardonnay is... and then telling her it was an eight euro bottle from Lidl :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

I wouldnt say Im an aldi/lidl snob but I just dont like the whole experience. Ive tried numerous times because I dont want to be spending more money for the same product if I dont need too.

That being sad I dont buy much branded goods. I think when you see the price comparison is it not comparing branded with the aldi brands? I buy tesco own brand for a huge amount of things and the items I dont are because we dont like them. But I do still keep trying when I see something recommended.
    I use a local veg shop, butcher and baker because i Like to support local small business.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Ive gone from doing my shopping almost exclusively in Aldi, to spreading it between Aldi, Dunnes and Supervalu. Unfortunately my kids wont eat some of the Aldi own brand stuff (e.g. their versions of milky ways) - snobs at 2 and 3!

Does anyone else think the quality in Aldi has dipped a little bit recently? The branding on a lot of stuff has definitely gotten cheaper which isnt an issue, but there are some things Id regularly have bought before that I dont anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

kevinc565 wrote: »
    Logically. there is nothing for nothing in the world.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056424282

• Registered Users Posts: 3,729 ✭✭✭Doodah7

I used to be almost exlusively Aldi but have drifted to Dunnes more in recent months. My main objection to Aldi is at the checkout. Long queues with people with full trolleys while I might only have three or four items.

They need either 10 items or fewer tills or self-service to speed people up. Also I find their fruit and veg are simply not as good as Dunnes and do no last as long once purchased.

And one another extremely minor thing, the deathly silence in an Aldi store compared to other supermarkets. Would it kill them to pipe a little music in the background for a little atmosphere!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭ellejay

Truckermal wrote: »
    Ok I'll grab the receipt and post it up then I'll try Aldi/Lidl.. Someone mentioned something along the lines of snobbery going there but that's wrong, I just got into the habit of doing Dunnes even though it's farther away than Lidl....

@Guil stop buying those bottles of p1ss you drink...:D:D

Truckermal I'm looking forward to your receipt!
    I shop around in Aldi, Tesco and Supervalu and I do a list before I leave and price online.
    I'm really interested to see if there are any savings to be made.

A lot of it's just down to personal taste.

Take a Mars bar, the Aldi version has a lot more caramel, the Tesco version has a lighter fluffier base I can't remember the SV version but I guess it's fine no lasting memory.

My only criticism of Aldi is the veg only lasts a few days.
    But Tesco are very good value and they've a lot of Irish suppliers now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

ellejay wrote: »
    My only criticism of Aldi is the veg only lasts a few days.

As with the shopping experience I fund this varies greatly from branch to branch.

Antares35 wrote: »
    It's only rush rush rush if you are trying to fill your bags at the checkout instead of just putting stuff back into the trolley after it is scanned and packing bags at the designated shopping counters. One of the reasons they can keep prices low is that they have only limited numbers of cashiers who are there to get people through quickly. It's a trade off.

What about the queue? That is what I was really getting at. Its never small except for very early or very late everyday.
    There is never enough cashiers on, and there are not enough tills in any of their stores. At least dunnes and tesco have the self checkout ones.

But we're told that they are great employers? Obviously they dont have enough staff at busy times.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭Xterminator

obviosly your expereince and mine are very different (assuming you are tlaking about peace time shopping).

Aldi and Lidl regaularly call staff away form pther duties when the queue builds up but I have never experienced anyone in dunnes or tesco open a checkout for customer experience reasons.

Self service tills are great, for users with a few items, but i feel that when they delibertaly use less cashiers or at night no cashiers they are simply making the customer scan the good for them! Dont get me started when you cannot get someones attention and there is a self service issue, or alcohol or clotes tages to be removed!

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭GampDub

I use Dunnes, they are definitely more expensive than most but there is definitely value to be had - offers on more expensive items come around every few weeks so I usually stock up when I see the deals.

I buy about 80% if my meat in the local butchers as quality is far superior for comparable price. Meat between Dunnes and other stores is pretty much on par I find both in price and quality.

For me the biggest issue is Fruit and Veg - I like to do a full weeks shop. If I do it in Aldi I find the Veg is gone or starting to go within a day or two but the Dunnes stuff will keep fresh for a good 4/5 days easy. I find I end up throwing more out when I shop in Aldi or Lidl.

Trick for me is to open calculator and add up thing as I go around so I can keep an eye on my spend and stay within a budget. Its great for those items that you put in the trolley but don't really need (do I really need that 9 pack of crunchie bars :)). The other is not to fear own brand stuff - in most cases own brands are produced in the same factories as the branded stuff so their is no difference.

obviosly your expereince and mine are very different (assuming you are tlaking about peace time shopping).

Aldi and Lidl regaularly call staff away form pther duties when the queue builds up but I have never experienced anyone in dunnes or tesco open a checkout for customer experience reasons.

Self service tills are great, for users with a few items, but i feel that when they delibertaly use less cashiers or at night no cashiers they are simply making the customer scan the good for them! Dont get me started when you cannot get someones attention and there is a self service issue, or alcohol or clotes tages to be removed!

I agree they would open another till and the staff are called away from other duties. But in my experience there is constantly a long queue when Im in an aldi or lidl, and it can be quite annoying when I only have a small basket.

In the tesco and dunnes near me, they usually have a dedicated staff member that just babysits the self service checkout and are quick enough to remove the tags or sort out a scales issue.
    But I also agree that late in the day they might only have one checkout open and you'd just have to wait if you have a trolley load.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭zeebre12

I find in Aldi and Lidl I spend longer at the till than I actually do shopping in the store when I have a few things to get

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭ellejay

What about the queue? That is what I was really getting at. Its never small except for very early or very late everyday.
    There is never enough cashiers on, and there are not enough tills in any of their stores. At least dunnes and tesco have the self checkout ones.

But we're told that they are great employers? Obviously they dont have enough staff at busy times.

In my local Aldi the staff are excellent, they're very friendly and chatty.
    They're very good at opening tills quite quickly.
    And generally the people in the queues let others by with smaller stuff.

However I know Lidl in the next town over is awful.
    Real dead atmosphere and the staff look like they abhor their jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,647 ✭✭✭corks finest

Checkouts in Lidl are like 100 m Olympic trials,,,,35 seconds on sver6to get through

• Advertisement

Antares35 wrote: »
    I do agree it can be a generational thing. My parents are in their 70's and a lot of the reason they still shop in Dunnes is simply because they always have. I think the brand loyalty might be due to their age too tbh. They simply refuse to believe that some of the wines and cheeses in Lidl and Aldi are, as well as cheaper, actually far superior. Aldi's Stellenbosch for example... though it's early in the day to be thinking about wine.

I have a snob of an aunt who imposes herself and her mouse of a husband for dinner a few times a year. A real M&S only type, think Hyacinth in Keeping Up Appearances...on speed. There's nothing better than seeing her smack her smug lips together and comment on how divine the chardonnay is... and then telling her it was an eight euro bottle from Lidl :pac:

Funny that, in Britain M&S is bog standard. It's Waitrose/John Lewis for the snobs.

Advertisement