Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Dunnes gone very expensive?

Options
  • 24-03-2020 8:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭

Long time Dunnes Stores customer and shopping was always about €155 before the Voucher discount so you get three vouchers for the next week.

Anyway it started to creep up until it reached €200 nearly every week so herself put it down to Beer ETC so cut that out and after a few weeks it crept up again!

Today Shopping cost €230 after the Voucher discount with no beer and just basic groceries for the week! Only 3 of us in the House I'm tempted to try Aldi or Lidl at this stage...

€273 before Vouchers Today..

Where do you shop? 359 votes

Dunnes
    59% 215 votes
    Lidl
    9% 35 votes
    Aldi
    6% 22 votes
    Tesco
    8% 31 votes
    Supervalu
    5% 18 votes
    Lidl and Aldi
    5% 19 votes
    M&S I'm posh
    3% 14 votes
    Somewhere else
    1% 5 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

It has been for quite some time

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

The vouchers are just to bring you back, i.e. I have this voucher, I may as well go to Dunnes to use it. The price of everything in store is increased to account for the voucher.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,653 ✭✭✭storker

Its aim is be be a discount M&S, I tihnk.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Madness. £50 a week tops in Aldi, includes the odd drink - what's that €70? 3 of us too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

We shop in Dunnes as well and there is 3 of us (2 adults and a 2 year old). Our shopping would be 100 euro a week and that includes nappies. It’s gone up slightly with us being at home full time now but I can’t understand how you are spending almost 300 Euro a week!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭appledrop

bee06 wrote: »
    We shop in Dunnes as well and there is 3 of us (2 adults and a 2 year old). Our shopping would be 100 euro a week and that includes nappies. It’s gone up slightly with us being at home full time now but I can’t understand how you are spending almost 300 Euro a week!

We would be the same as this. Now I have found in last two weeks we are hitting 150 mark(before €30 discount) but that's because we are buying more food as at home all time + no Friday night takeaway etc.

Its probably not a great time to be analysing your cost as we are all spending more on grocery shopping as no one can go anywhere else for food or beverages!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

2 of us in the house and we've never even gone to 180 euro even shopping in super valu which is an old super quinn and would be seen as an expensive option locally. The odd time when we stock up on cleaning products we would hit 100 euro like last weekend when I decided I didn't want to be spending time in a supermarket, bought loads for 110 for 2 of us for a week easily, some of the stuff was a once in 3 months purchase, cleaning stuff etc..

No idea where you are going with 270 euro of groceries for 3 people

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭TheBigEvil

Genuinely dont see how people are doing all of their grocery shopping in either Dunnes or Tesco. I was skeptical about Aldi/Lidl at first, but have seen a massive reduction in the cost of my food shop since I went to Aldi, would normally have been a Tesco shopper. Granted there may be a couple of items you wont get in Aldi/Lidl, but all in all you should be getting nearly all of your food shop items there.

The biggest problem with Tesco/Dunnes are the multi-buys/vouchers, you end up buying more stuff that don't need and they end up going off. With Aldi/lidl they just have lower prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭appledrop

TheBigEvil wrote: »
    Genuinely dont see how people are doing all of their grocery shopping in either Dunnes or Tesco. I was skeptical about Aldi/Lidl at first, but have seen a massive reduction in the cost of my food shop since I went to Aldi, would normally have been a Tesco shopper. Granted there may be a couple of items you wont get in Aldi/Lidl, but all in all you should be getting nearly all of your food shop items there.

The biggest problem with Tesco/Dunnes are the multi-buys/vouchers, you end up buying more stuff that don't need and they end up going off. With Aldi/lidl they just have lower prices.

I'm the opposite. I'll pop into aldi for a few bits but would never be able to get a weekly shop there. Just not enough choice. I also hate the layout/style of the store in aldi compared to brand new Dunnes we go to with top of range butchers + cheesemongers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

appledrop wrote: »
    I'm the opposite. I'll pop into aldi for a few bits but would never be able to get a weekly shop there. Just not enough choice. I also hate the layout/style of the store in aldi compared to brand new Dunnes we go to with top of range butchers + cheesemongers.

Same here. We did attempt to move to Aldi a few years ago but couldn’t do a full shop and ended up having to do another shop elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Can get everything I need in Aldi.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,211 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Aldi’s fruit and veg are superb. We get the odd brand item (soft drinks mainly) in Tesco but pretty much everything else in Aldi

And we might take 3 weeks to spend 273 on shopping (3 of us )

• Registered Users Posts: 9,596 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I've done a huge amount of work for Dunnes in the past.

Basically they couldn't compete with the German discount stores and they cleverly re-invented themselves below M&S and above Lidl and Aldi. Their produce has improved in a lot of areas. Quality went up and the price went up too.

There's good value to be got in Dunnes and there's bad value too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Horses for courses I suppose. Happy to spend approx €75 per week.
    The odd trip to Enniskillen every quarter for the washing powder, drink and coffee etc makes it reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

That's nearly all our shopping for 8 day's including meat etc. I'm tempted to try Lidl or Aldi soon..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭GavMan

What in the name of god are you buying to spend nearly 300 sheets?

I think you just need to be a bit smarter when you shop. I hit Lidl for a few bits here and there but in general I found that their fruit and veg starts to rot before the week is out. Never have this issue in Tesco (or Dunnes)

My advice is to try Tesco and switch to some of the Tesco own brands for various things. Stuff that you can't go wrong with like eggs, butter, bog roll, kitchen towel, etc. Leave the branded stuff for the likes of soft drinks or cereals maybe.

A great example from the other day would be 750gms of organic porridge is less than a Euro. Flahavins is nearly 3 for 1kg. U can

• Registered Users Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭facehugger99

I wouldn't quite call it price-gouging, not yet anyway, but there is a noticeable lack of special offers currently on the shelves and they have clearly priced some of the popular 'lockdown' items at a premium.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Abel Ruiz

Dunnes and tesco are quite expensive.
    But super valu are the worst. They are awful for value, and not just in smaller stores.

I do my shopping between lidl and dunnes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

I bounce between tesco and dunnes, butcher for meat.

I think groceries generally have gone up. We went from spending 200 per week to spending 230 per week for roughly the same shop. Maybe 8 month period.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭reg114

Truckermal wrote: »
    Long time Dunnes Stores customer and shopping was always about €155 before the Voucher discount so you get three vouchers for the next week.

Anyway it started to creep up until it reached €200 nearly every week so herself put it down to Beer ETC so cut that out and after a few weeks it crept up again!

Today Shopping cost €230 after the Voucher discount with no beer and just basic groceries for the week! Only 3 of us in the House I'm tempted to try Aldi or Lidl at this stage...

Since Dunnes rebranded with the new makeover pitching itself as an irish Marks and sparks its prices are shot up. Certainly shopping in their stores is a nicer retail experience than say tesco or aldi but their prices reflect this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Diairist

If you don't think it's a waste of petrol, and you can't get all your goods in Aldi, go to Lidl for the rest. (Then SuperValu?) There is no comparison between Tesco & Lidl. (Actually there is, a €40+ difference generally.)

Hoping not to be accused of blatant racism but there is an 'Academy' shelf in SuperValu where they sell goods from young Irish companies. Worth a look.

(Am I banned yet? Am I banned yet?)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,986 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Yes.

Cannot believe this thread re-appears every few months since 2016
    Are you wise to Dunnes marketing ploy?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

I spent the better part of 15 years in Retail before I got out so luckily I have a good grasp of what is under or over priced and I take a good mental note of the price of things between shops. You can certainly spend €50 worth of shopping on Products that are the same or cheaper than Aldi. A full €150-200 shop without being cute with the offers and prices those €30 of vouchers get burnt up very quickly and I have no doubt you end up being down money.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Apollinaris

I love those snobby comments “I’m tempted to try Aldi or Lidl”. Like there was a stigma attached to it shopping there or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

That's nearly all our shopping for 8 day's including meat etc. I'm tempted to try Lidl or Aldi soon..

They're 21 years here now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

OP, You should do a comparable shop in Aldi or Lidl to see the differences with your particular shopping trolley....might help see where your increases in spending are...(compare receipts!)

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Tickets on sale now!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

Stick up the shopping list or the receipt and we shall start a project and cut down the costs :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,665 ✭✭✭corks finest

Dunnes are dear compared to Lidl/ Aldi,then again SuperValu are dear compared to Dunnes( at least in Carrigaline) though the meat, fruit n veg quality is far better ( sv)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,493 ✭✭✭✭guil

We switched to aldi a few months ago after doing the shopping in Dunnes for years, didn't last too long before going back to Dunnes. We found that while it was cheaper in aldi for similar stuff, it wasn't last as long so by Monday or Tuesday we would need to go get some more in either the local centra or spin in to Tesco.

We are a family of 5 and it is usually €130-€150 and that includes a box of bottles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭facehugger99

guil wrote: »
    We switched to aldi a few months ago after doing the shopping in Dunnes for years, didn't last too long before going back to Dunnes. We found that while it was cheaper in aldi for similar stuff, it wasn't last as long so by Monday or Tuesday we would need to go get some more in either the local centra or spin in to Tesco.

We are a family of 5 and it is usually €130-€150 and that includes a box of bottles.

A box of bottles of what?

Advertisement