Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pass the mince pies- Christmas Chat Thread Part Deux

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

DvB wrote: »
    I'm working from home today, however with so many of us doing the same the strain on the office bandwidth means I keep losing connections meaning my work will be sporaid (ie frustrating) at best today... suspect today may be one of those days I spend some time looking through old threads for a cheer up!

Great minds and all that!

I've been working from home since last Thursday and each day has got progressively slower as more and more people leave the office and work from home. Will be lots of down time it seems as stuff takes longer to load, people take longer to do their bit and get back to me etc.

Started to look at few yesterday, feels like a trip down memory lane even though I wasn't there at the time!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,181 ✭✭✭✭DvB

TRS30 wrote: »
    Great minds and all that!

I've been working from home since last Thursday and each day has got progressively slower as more and more people leave the office and work from home. Will be lots of down time it seems as stuff takes longer to load, people take longer to do their bit and get back to me etc.

Started to look at few yesterday, feels like a trip down memory lane even though I was there at the time!

I love doing it when I get the time, sometimes I feel more excited about christmas at times like this than I do at christmas itself... amazing how the mind works.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I'm not WFH until tomorrow my company is still trucking away as normal so hard to dip in here as much as I'd like to, if we go into full lockdown at any stage I will be putting back up the Christmas Candle lights in the upstairs window as a sign of hope for everyone and to give some Christmas Cheer :)

Loughc wrote: »
    I'm not WFH until tomorrow my company is still trucking away as normal so hard to dip in here as much as I'd like to, if we go into full lockdown at any stage I will be putting back up the Christmas Candle lights in the upstairs window as a sign of hope for everyone and to give some Christmas Cheer :)

I'm sharing the parenting duties, its the Mrs day in work today hence me WFH, but unless we go into full lockdown (which still allows you to travel to work, I think!?) or someone in the office actually gets the virus forcing us to isolate I'll be heading in at least 3 days a week. We'll be limiting office acces to essential staff though until further notice, have relocated them to create social distancing & staggered lunch breaks etc. Pretty much all we can do at this stage.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

DvB wrote: »
    I'm sharing the parenting duties, its the Mrs day in work today hence me WFH, but unless we go into full lockdown (which still allows you to travel to work, I think!?) or someone in the office actually gets the virus forcing us to isolate I'll be heading in at least 3 days a week. We'll be limiting office acces to essential staff though until further notice, have relocated them to create social distancing & staggered lunch breaks etc. Pretty much all we can do at this stage.

Full lockdown will only allow people in supply chains, pharmacies and supermarkets to go to work, all other businesses will be asked to closed to minimize infection rates. I cant imagine it will happen as we seems to have a good grip on it at the moment.

• Advertisement

Full lockdown will only allow people in supply chains, pharmacies and supermarkets to go to work, all other businesses will be asked to closed to minimize infection rates. I cant imagine it will happen as we seems to have a good grip on it at the moment.

I sincerely hope not or our firm will go from a staff of 40 to 8 overnight. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 30,321 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

They are 24 days until Easter guys.
    So maybe try an Easter Advent Calender to amuse yourself ot the kids!

They are 24 days until Easter guys.
    So maybe try an Easter Advent Calender to amuse yourself ot the kids!

That's a really good idea, maybe even use mini eggs as the daily chocolate surprise or even mix it with the elf on the shelf idea and find a new hiding spot for the mini egg each day and leave a clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Us Irish can be a creative bunch when we put our minds to it. Seen/heard some great ideas over the last few days.

Also amazing community spirit. Our neighbour has set up a Whatsapp group for the road. If anyone is heading to the local shop, chemist etc are asking is anyone needs anything etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,561 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Oooooooooooh.

Well we're into the 270's!

oNdQ0Kd.jpg

Love this. So cute handy for anyone with little elves.

Aaah, that's nice. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

Pretty sure it will be cancelled this year

Happy4all wrote: »
    Pretty sure it will be cancelled this year

Christmas? Nah. You can’t cancel a feeling, a spirit or an emotion.

I dunno, Loughc, I think it might be cancelled too.

Sure we can't possibly let a holiday go ahead where people buy unnecessary items, stock up on way too much food, stay in all the time watching TV, lose track of what day it is and can't wait for the kids to go back to school.

>_>

Christmas? Nah. You can’t cancel a feeling, a spirit or an emotion.

This 100%!!!

Happy Mother’s Day to all Mammy Elves, mammy elves to be, and anyone who one who yearns to be a mammy elf :)

Hope everyone is staying safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Happy Mother’s Day!!

• Advertisement

Brought the twins to see both sets of nannies and grandads today, doing it from 2m and with a window between us was heartbreaking but essential. Think it did some good though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Rang the mammy today, she has COPD so won't see her in the flesh for maybe a month or two.

Then we made up a mini Christmas dinner- chicken, ham, stuffing etc. It was lovely, must do it more often.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭jellybear

Awh Littlehorny, hope your mam is doing okay!
    Not an easy time for her with the worry.

Must say I'm finding things tough. I'm immunosuppressed and my husband is asthmatic so we're doing our best to stay away from others. Milo, our dog, is delighted to have us home though!! I'm just glad our little boy won't remember any of this but it's definitely not how I thought I'd be spending my maternity leave :(

Our estate are organising little things like teddy bear hunts, where you put a teddy in your window and they had a little St Patrick's day parade where they decorated windows which was nice.

I hope you're all keeping safe and I'm glad our little happy place on boards is still going strong :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Happy Mother’s Day to all Mammy Elves, mammy elves to be, and anyone who one who yearns to be a mammy elf :)

Hope everyone is staying safe.

If I have my way I’ll be a mammy elf this time next year!

So, how do ye feel about the clocks going forward next week?
    Would you prefer brighter evenings or darker one's if you were stuck inside.

I had ham and roast spuds today. I allowed my mother to cook me a nice dinner, for the day that was in it. :p
    The roasts reminded me of Christmas, made me feel happy, sad and nostalgic in equal measures.
    kitten_k wrote: »
    If I have my way I’ll be a mammy elf this time next year!
    No need to ask how you're keeping occupied during the pandemic, so. :pac:

So, how do ye feel about the clocks going forward next week?
    Would you prefer brighter evenings or darker one's if you were stuck inside.
    I'd rather they didn't change at all. I don't like the jump in time, whether it's forward or back.

I don't think there's any need for it staying bright until after 10pm in the summer, it's a bit much!
    And the change in October is dismal, suddenly being dark before 5, instead of gradually easing us in.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,041 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

I always thought the clocks should go forward on a Friday night and back on a Sunday night :D

Haven't been around much lately. Fighting a throat infection that's really floored me. Zero energy or inclination to do anything. 4 more days of antibiotics but still not right, a week after it started. Haven't been sick for years, glad it's nothing more sinister though.

Posy wrote: »
    I had ham and roast spuds today. I allowed my mother to cook me a nice dinner, for the day that was in it. :p
    The roasts reminded me of Christmas, made me feel happy, sad and nostalgic in equal measures.

No need to ask how you're keeping occupied during the pandemic, so. :pac:

I’m actually a single pringle so none of that fun to keep me entertained :D

But also not getting any younger so have to go down less natural routes.

• Advertisement

Posy wrote: »
    I'd rather they didn't change at all. I don't like the jump in time, whether it's forward or back.

I don't think there's any need for it staying bright until after 10pm in the summer, it's a bit much!
    And the change in October is dismal, suddenly being dark before 5, instead of gradually easing us in.

Seemingly they are getting rid of it so we see what happens

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement