Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pass the mince pies- Christmas Chat Thread Part Deux

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Postgrad10 wrote: »
    I’ll say it. I’m starting to miss the kids. It’s too quiet this online teaching.

I'm not cut out for teaching - a fact I've always known but definitely realised after today :pac: Also not sure what I'm supposed to be doing with them. I'm just picking stuff that interests me....not sure that's what a good teacher does lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,367 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Who would have thought in January when DWTS started and some us still had our decorations up we'd be in this position now where the parades cancelled, schools, pubs, loads of hotels, restaurants, businsses would be closed for weeks and the DWTS final would take place a week earlier and would end with them saying wash your hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

CheerLouth wrote: »
    I'm not cut out for teaching - a fact I've always known but definitely realised after today :pac: Also not sure what I'm supposed to be doing with them. I'm just picking stuff that interests me....not sure that's what a good teacher does lol!

You’ll be doing brilliantly. Better for the pupil when the teacher is enthusiastic about a subject.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,782 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

QNyHKUc.jpg

Stealing this from somewhere else but I totally agree with it.

91%2BSKMlrbhL.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,804 ✭✭✭Jude13

Postgrad10 wrote: »
    I’ll say it. I’m starting to miss the kids. It’s too quiet this online teaching.

We say this each night when little elf is in bed, then spend the next hour taking about what the elf did that day to make us laugh, whilst looking at videos of her.

Hope everyone is well. We could assign a Christmas thing/movie to watch each day and give our thoughts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Happy St. Patrick’s day all. Strange one as it is we are still going to get dressed up; we put some of the kids pictures up on the front window. Are going to go for a walk later to see other pictures kids have put up. Also going to try make green pancakes!!

Great idea Jude we nearly watched a Christmas movie last night however we both feel asleep!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,545 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Happy Saint Patrick's Day, guys! :)

I'm going to chill out, watch a film, and I have chocolate and Baileys. Making the most of things. :pac:

Happy St Patrick’s Day everyone. Spring cleaning the house from top to bottom! The cobwebs are massive. Eek.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,970 ✭✭✭DenMan

Carving up a nice small ham now. Happy St. Patrick's Day everyone! Hope you all have a great day. Stay safe.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,782 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Happy St Patrick’s Day everyone.

Gonna chill for the day before I’m back in work tomorrow. Hope everyone is doing well. Stay safe and if anyone needs anything my PMs are always open.

DenMan wrote: »
    Carving up a nice small ham now. Happy St. Patrick's Day everyone! Hope you all have a great day. Stay safe.

We got a 7kg ham at Christmas and halved and froze it.
    Cooked it half today and had stuffing also.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,828 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

We got a 7kg ham at Christmas and halved and froze it.
    Cooked it half today and had stuffing also.

I did this on Sunday. Cooked the ham in cola as per Jamie Oliver’s recipe and glazed it too. My daughter walked in and said the place smelled like Christmas :D

I'm having ham today, seems to be a popular choice! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭DvB

We're having steak, and I'm going to crack open a Guinness here too, I know I'm in work tomorrow but it wouldn't be paddy's day without 1 or 2 pints of the black stuff.
    Happy paddy's day y'all!!
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

I’m having a homemade chicken curry the native meal of St Patrick :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,828 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Spaghetti bolognaise for dinner in our house - never before, we would have had a roast chicken but couldn’t get one. My daughter just said to me that this year will make an interesting future episode of Reeling in The Years. Back to work tomorrow and actually looking forward to it. Hope everyone is keeping safe.

Loughc wrote: »

Absolutely !

We had roast beef but I would have preferred ham.

Stay safe at work tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

We had bun burgers with sweet potato chips

Leo addressing the nation at 9pm

None finer!
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement

He got rid of the snakes, now we all have to pray that he gets rid of the virus!

Posy wrote: »
    He got rid of the snakes, now we all have to pray that he gets rid of the virus!

He needs to get a move on this is getting serious :(

Except for the company I work for who view it as a “non-event”

I was working a good bit in January and February and hadn't much time to go anywhere really.
    I had Friday the 13th off and I was looking forward to my day off and going to Cork, shopping centers, food,etc. I had no idea how things changed so dramatically. I haven't being anywhere really since Christmas.

I'm not complaining by the way. Just saying how things changed.

I had ham also which the in laws brought over from Ireland. I watched Leo's speech, very well delivered (no matter your political view be it Roses or Quality Street), though I hope for everyone sake that it is a massive overrated.

Keep safe Elves

Jude13 wrote: »
    I had ham also which the in laws brought over from Ireland. I watched Leo's speech, very well delivered (no matter your political view be it Roses or Quality Street), though I hope for everyone sake that it is a massive overrated.

Unfortunately I suspect it was underrated. Many believe we're being informed little by little to try & manage the required changes to our lifestyles that may be required to tackle this over an extended period of time. I'm far from a doom monger but I genuinely expect this to take many many weeks (months) before we see anything like a return to normality.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

DvB wrote: »
    Unfortunately I suspect it was underrated. Many believe we're being informed little by little to try & manage the required changes to our lifestyles that may be required to tackle this over an extended period of time. I'm far from a doom monger but I genuinely expect this to take many many weeks (months) before we see anything like a return to normality.

Unfortuantely DvB I think you are right. Similarly I wouldn't be a doom and gloom merchant however you cant hide from the fact that this is the most serious social issue that any of us have ever had to face and is going to have consequences that will last for years or even decades.

The most important thing at the minute is that we all do our bit and try to keep our family and loves ones as safe as possible.

As Leo said, we will get over this and things will return to normal so we just need to keep strong and keep together/ apart!

TRS30 wrote: »

The most important thing at the minute is that we all do our bit and try to keep our family and loves ones as safe as possible.

Nail on head!

I hope so, my folks were on to me today wondering if they would see us in 2020 or not. They are in the high risk category and not just for age.

Not much in the way of announcements out here. However, I keep looking at the rate of deaths, China closing hospitals due to no patients, and taking in to account flattening the curve and wondering is the reaction proportional.

"People are putting their Christmas lights back up to add some cheer to a gloomy time. I love the human spirit." from a Texan I follow on twitter.

• Advertisement

I'm working from home today, however with so many of us doing the same the strain on the office bandwidth means I keep losing connections meaning my work will be sporadic (ie frustrating) at best today... suspect today may be one of those days I spend some time looking through old threads for a cheer up!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement