Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The UK response to Covid-19 [MOD WARNING 1ST POST]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

RobMc59 wrote: »
    Army units in Sefton park Liverpool ,Chester and other strategic positions,also rumours army increasing presence in Northern Ireland.
    If you think about it the army would be a perfect breeding ground for cv. Soldiers sleeping close together in barracks, packed tight in the back of lorries etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Darc19 wrote: »
    Saw some 70ish year old interviewed earlier and asked why she was out and about.

She said that she's British and if she isolated, it would mean giving in to the virus.

I suspect she will end up as a death statistic if that's the attitude.

All because she's British and no one tells them what to do, great attitude.

I’ve watched plenty of medical people on RTÉ in last week- they’re not holding back, but also, they’re realists in terms of what can be achieved.

Not really. They are warning of the dangers, not really critical but one admirable quality of the Irish people is the ability to pull on the green jersey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Sounds like Princess Anne, she says is going to continue with her royal engagements, drawing crowds of people together and shaking their hands :rolleyes:

That's what centuries of inbreeding does, makes you delusional. In'it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

If you think about it the army would be a perfect breeding ground for cv. Soldiers sleeping close together in barracks, packed tight in the back of lorries etc.
    Would require non-stop testing, but then they'd likely be handed out decent enough equipment, when they need to start throwing CS in some of the various sink estates of Ldn.

Some say the reason you never seen the actual Chinese army (only police) on the streets is because they were isolated from the start, perhaps in their own remote compounds, with no risk of infection.

And ready at anytime to march 2m stong (200m if really needed) strong if/when/where needed. Let's hope the West steps up to the plague.

• Advertisement

Aegir wrote: »
    Not really. They are warning of the dangers, not really critical but one admirable quality of the Irish people is the ability to pull on the green jersey.

I don’t get what you’re saying. On UK TV, you have medical people arguing over whether it’s right to close down the schools, the pubs, the shops- that’s a recipe for anarchy when respected people can’t decide- you don’t have that in Ireland- you have a focus on welfare of society, recommended best practices and clear advice- haven’t a clue what you’re on about in terms of green jerseys and couldn’t care less either.

I don’t get what you’re saying. On UK TV, you have medical people arguing over whether it’s right to close down the schools, the pubs, the shops- that’s a recipe for anarchy when respected people can’t decide- you don’t have that in Ireland- you have a focus on welfare of society, recommended best practices and clear advice- haven’t a clue what you’re on about in terms of green jerseys and couldn’t care less either.

To me it shows that in the UK, differing options are welcomed and allowed.

How many press conferences has the Irish government given this week?

We’ve had plenty of “opinions” in Ireland too - thing is though, we’ve gone a step further and made bloody decisions and quickly too.

But no, Let’s all sit back so and let everyone have their “say”-

We’ve had plenty of “opinions” in Ireland too - thing is though, we’ve gone a step further and made bloody decisions and quickly too.

But no, Let’s all sit back so and let everyone have their “say”-

I thought everyone having their say was how Irish politics works, no?

what step further has the Irish government gone? What decisions have been made here but not in the uk?

We’ve closed the schools until the 29th. We all know that’s a false date, but no decision on that yet. What about school exams? We’ve given the orals full marks, which is farcical but it’s something I guess. Still planning on holding the rest though I believe.

What are we doing to support critical workers as far as childcare goes, or the kids whose only escape from negligent parents is their classroom?

Nothing.

How much has the government committed to keeping businesses afloat?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,147 ✭✭✭✭Water John

There is a complete disconnect between how Ireland and the UK have acted. This may have changed with the UK changing course this week.
    TMK taking care of the children of medical staff is being looked at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭rekluse

Did anyone watch the reports from in and around London? While the financial quarter was dead other parts looked like it was a modern Sunday, not jammers but clearly busy with no obvious social distancing, fair few masks. Looks like a little Italy waiting to happen.

I'm in London at the moment, hard to describe, but I would say there is definite edge in the air,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭McGiver

To the English gentleman accusing the EU of treating this situation poorly.

Breathe in and repeat with me:

1. The EU is not a country.
    2. The EU does not have a government (the Commission is not exactly a gov)
    3. The EU does not have a competency in this area and can only provide support.

Breathe out.

As always it's all down to national governments to sort this out. Unlike in Mr Johnson's fictional Euro-bashing columns in Daily Mail, the EU has very limited competencies in reality.

Now, different EU countries are handling the situation in a different way - from most extreme (Denmark, Czechia) to most lax (the Netherlands).

Netherlands is doing very little, similarly to the UK. Ireland is responding adequately but more measures may (and will) come. Spain and Italy reacted late but adequately. Denmark, Czechia and Poland closed the borders completely and announced a serious curfew/lock-down when they had a couple of hundred cases.

I'm familiar with the situation in Czechia, so just for everyone's reference:
    - schools closed at 100 cases mark
    - borders closed at 150 cases mark
    - all public places closed at 150 cases mark
    - public told to only undertake essential journeys (groceries, pharmacies, to/from work) at 150 cases mark
    - public transport access with a mask only at 300 cases mark
    - mask only anywhere in public from 700 cases mark (800 EUR fine otherwise), enforced by the police

Oh yeah and a failure to self-isolate after testing positive has been made a criminal offence (fines and potentially up to 8 years in prison).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭dePeatrick

rekluse wrote: »
    I'm in London at the moment, hard to describe, but I would say there is definite edge in the air,
    How many cases in London?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,845 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

dePeatrick wrote: »
    How many cases in London?

About 1,800.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Look, it's blatantly obvious you have a utter hatred of FG / hse.

So fuc off.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,139 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

On a matter of pubic safety, differing options are not a good thing, Aegir. Do whe have "differing options" in relation to air traffic control, or rail safety rules, or building fire safety standards? No. And there are good reasons for that.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,089 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Every hear the maxim "doctors differ, patients die"?

That's exactly the WRONG thing that should be happening right now, and if you are looking to the UK as a better example of how to act in this crisis then you are wildly mistaken

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Every hear the maxim "doctors differ, patients die"?

That's exactly the WRONG thing that should be happening right now, and if you are looking to the UK as a better example of how to act in this crisis then you are wildly mistaken

The doctors don’t differ and the people making the decisions, ie the four chief medical officers, are all in the same page. As the all the devolved regions.

People are entitled to different opinions though, but as shown in the post above where I am told to fuc off, that seems to be frowned upon in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

The irish chat show hosts sit well away from each other, look on the BBC morning they are not even a half a metre apart, the same distance thay have always sat.
    Now they are telling viewers how serious cv19 is but still sitting on top of each other :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭EDit

The irish chat show hosts sit well away from each other, look on the BBC morning they are not even a half a metre apart, the same distance thay have always sat.
    Now they are telling viewers how serious cv19 is but still sitting on top of each other :confused:

TBH, people all over the world aren’t getting it. On the BBC website this morning under a story about how the Australian government are tightening “social distancing rules - people in small gatherings should now be separated by at least 4 sq m” was the picture below in which no-one (including the cops) are even 1m apart

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,139 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

EDit wrote: »
    TBH, people all over the world aren’t getting it. On the BBC website this morning under a story about how the Australian government are tightening “social distancing rules - people in small gatherings should now be separated by at least 4 sq m” was the picture below in which no-one (including the cops) are even 1m apart
    Those police aren't there to enforce social distancing requirements; they are there to prevent toilet paper riots.

(I am perfectly serious.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

BBC news earlier in the week.
    Yer one on the left is actually speaking to Simon McCoy about the importance of social distancing

bbc-tv.png

• Registered Users Posts: 19,119 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Reminds me of this

• Registered Users Posts: 21,147 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Watching UK television is painful, when you know what should be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I find it odd that for a disease that is particularly bad for the elderly the UK government are asking retired NHS staff to come back and help out.
    I'm either missing something really obvious or something is seriously wrong with their approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

gimli2112 wrote: »
    I find it odd that for a disease that is particularly bad for the elderly the UK government are asking retired NHS staff to come back and help out.
    I'm either missing something really obvious or something is seriously wrong with their approach.

I presume that this cohort will not be deployed at the frontline treating Covid-19, but elsewhere to free up resources for that “front”...?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,976 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭Imreoir2

What you are missing is how serious a crisis this is. These people are undoubtably at risk, but due to their experiance they can slot into the system quickly and expand the capasity of the health service. They may well become ill themselves, but they will help hundreds before that happens.

This is a war. Wars have casualties.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

People don't sign up to become casualties, they're conscripted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

People don't sign up to become casualties, they're conscripted

Ireland is doing the same, so is Italy and as far as I know other countries. Death rate in Italy is do high because they don't have enough staff and beds.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement