Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The UK response to Covid-19 [MOD WARNING 1ST POST]

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 514 ✭✭✭timhenn

Like everything, I couldn't give a sh1t what the brits do to themselves, run their countries anyway they want to and let as many die as they want to. The issue I have is that they still have power over a section of our country. I do give a sh1t about the damage they are doing to Irish people in the 6 counties. This crisis is another reason to add to the long list of why we need to get rid of that border.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,272 ✭✭✭AllForIt

splinter65 wrote: »
    Where’s everyone gone ???

I found them, they're over on the Politics forum.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=112899139&postcount=77 :pac:

timhenn wrote: »
    Like everything, I couldn't give a sh1t what the brits do to themselves, run their countries anyway they want to and let as many die as they want to. The issue I have is that they still have power over a section of our country. I do give a sh1t about the damage they are doing to Irish people in the 6 counties. This crisis is another reason to add to the long list of why we need to get rid of that border.

Or lock it down completely. If it’s the Uk then it’s the UK, but they can’t have such fee access to here when things like this arise.

Or lock it down completely. If it’s the Uk then it’s the UK, but they can’t have such fee access to here when things like this arise.

Lock it down the Irish sea! Let no flights in. Much easier. Brits out and lock them out!

Lock it down the Irish sea! Let no flights in. Much easier. Brits out and lock them out!

That isn’t happening in our lifetime thankfully. What needs to be done is to get rid of all the small crossings and get the police/army on the major ones.

• Advertisement

That isn’t happening in our lifetime thankfully. What needs to be done is to get rid of all the small crossings and get the police/army on the major ones.

They tried that before and got their answer. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

When this is all over the blonde buffoon will be out on his ear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Driving testing ended.

From doing less they are now getting very active.

They tried that before and got their answer. :cool:

They did. Brexit.

It’s coming.

They did. Brexit.

It’s coming.

The british army tried to close the border before, you remember? They'd be scared sh1tless if you told them they'd have to do that again. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭deathbomber

RobMc59 wrote: »
    I`ve reduced posting on this as in all available online statistics the UK infection rate is unremarkable and confirmed cases are actually less than all similar sized European countries but that has`nt stopped continual unsupported posts claiming that the UK is much worse than it is.

Give it a week!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,365 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Covering 80% of salaries of those laid off is a brilliant move should be done here too.

The british army tried to close the border before, you remember? They'd be scared sh1tless if you told them they'd have to do that again. :pac:

I mean from our side. It’s needed since they got really stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Computer Science Student

I hate to say it but the brits have nailed this. Didn't take extreme measures too early but when they did they completely outdid other countries. This is exactly the herd immunity strategy that was initially proposed, and it looks like it may have been timed beautifully so as to spread the load on the hospitals. Hats off to Boris.

I mean from our side. It’s needed since they got really stupid.

No, we just have to align our strategies and tell the brits to feck off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭Icepick

I hate to say it but the brits have nailed this. Didn't take extreme measures too early but when they did they completely outdid other countries. This is exactly the herd immunity strategy that was initially proposed, and it looks like it may have been timed beautifully so as to spread the load on the hospitals. Hats off to Boris.
    He will look even more genius in 2 weeks.

/sarcasm

Political point scoring on this issue says more about the respective US and UK government's political opponents than it does about the respective government's themselves.

But I suppose if your felling sore one didn't get their way, it is hard to get over, especially when one feels so right-on about everything, so I do sympathies on a psychological level.

I suggest some self isolation from boards to reset yourself, for your own mental well-being.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭arctictree

Just caught a glimpse of the Graham Norton show and they are all double kissing and hugging. Unbelievable. Totally different than here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,543 ✭✭✭giveitholly

arctictree wrote: »
    Just caught a glimpse of the Graham Norton show and they are all double kissing and hugging. Unbelievable. Totally different than here.

Not defending them but was that recorded a few days ago before the real strict controls came in?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I don't think it's on at the moment so whatever you caught is a repeat.

I watched sky news report from Italian hospital. It's horrific and I hope measures work. Everywhere. One of London hospitals already said it's at full capacity (I don't know how big it is) so it is worrying.

• Advertisement

Not defending them but was that recorded a few days ago before the real strict controls came in?

You think they’d have a bit of sense though. It’s typical arrogance.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

It's a repeat

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

bumbling Boris is trying to put a positive spin on things much like his mate Orange-Face Donald

he looks out of his depth and must be secretly cursing he's PM at this time,

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

You’re off your head mate. The hospitals are gearing up for total pandemonium. We’ve enacted lockdown measures later than Italy and their health system is nearly collapsing with devastating effects.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

We'll find out the middle of next week how compliant the population is and how much enforcement threats are needed... Then three weeks after that if they got the timing right.

Hospitals are not yet overwhelmed, other than one for 24 hours yesterday in London. I'd expect the same to happen another couple of times in London in the next few days, but the rest of the country is not yet at the same point. Hopefully the load can be spread out a bit and London behaves so that the numbers can then come down in a couple of weeks.

You think they’d have a bit of sense though. It’s typical arrogance.

Graham Norton isn't on for weeks, last episode was 28th of February and that was a compilation of previous stuff.

Anyway there is no reason for any thriumphalism. I flew into Venice on 15th and out on 21st of February. We did not spend our holiday in Italy but driving around there was no sense of dread. Roads were busy enough and everything seemed normal. That was 4 weeks ago and it feels like a lifetime. Any country in Europe including Ireland can follow Italy not just UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,928 ✭✭✭threeball

mariaalice wrote: »
    Covering 80% of salaries of those laid off is a brilliant move should be done here too.

If this is short term its a great move. If its long term they bankrupt the country. We're talking up to 400k laid off here. Pro-rata that would have the UK with 5 million laid off. At £2000 a month average thats 10 billion per month. Thats on top of mortgage relief, cancelled rates and all the other measures they mentioned. Bare in mind they will have very little tax income but huge outgoings due to nearly all public services running overtime.

I think the same could be achieved by giving all those laid off £350 per week plus mortgage and rent holidays. That will be enough to see most through without hardship. The same should be done here. Companies should run as long as they can but the safety net should be there whenever the work dries up and they need to mothball.

Ireland needs new government with a mandate to make similar decisions about salaries. It can't be done by government whose some ministers who are not even elected anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,264 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Between this and Brexit the UK is in for bleak times ahead

• Advertisement

6 wrote: »
    Between this and Brexit the UK is in for bleak times ahead

The UK decided to self isolate before this virus took hold.
    Maybe it's not such a bad idea after all lol

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement