Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mental health and CoVid-19

• 16-03-2020 2:55pm
    Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 74,773 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

Based on a suggestion by a poster I am starting a thread where we can share information and resources on mental health issues particularly given the stressful situations many people are finding themselves in. This virus will have adverse impacts not only on those it affects directly, but their loved ones, colleagues and friends. There will be a significant economic impact and many people will find themselves with money problems. There are also practical day to day things that people will have concerns over

This is not to discuss individual cases. It is for general discussion of mental health issues. While you can share your personal experiences, please do not request or offer specific advice on individual circumstances. I will sticky this thread

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 74,773 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I'm copying the following from our Personal Issues Forum
    mike_ie wrote: »
    SUPPORT ORGANISATIONS

Suicide

turn2me.org - online mental health community providing peer and professional support to people in distress.

Pieta House - Suicide and Self Harm Crisis Centre, providing services for those who are in suicidal distress and those who engage in self-harm. Contact information for your local Pieta House can be found here.

National Office for Suicide Prevention
    - information and signposting resource regarding suicide in Ireland. NOSP is not a crisis support service.

Finding a Counsellor/Therapist/Psychologist

The Psychology forum has an excellent sticky thread on How to find a Counsellor/Therapist/Psychologist which can be found here.

Depression / Mental Health

Samaritans Ireland - (116 123) - 24 hour support organisation for anybody going through a difficult period of their life. You can also contact your local branch of Samaritans.

https://www.jigsaw.ie/ Jigsaw is a network of programmes across Ireland (see map) designed to make sure every young person has somewhere to turn to and someone to talk to.

GROW - (1890 474 474) - mental health organisation which helps people who have suffered, or are suffering, from mental health problems. Grow also hold regular meetings throughout Ireland.

Aware - (1800 80 48 48) - service for people who experience depression and concerned family and friends of those suffering from depression.

Shine - national organisation dedicated to upholding the rights and addressing the needs of all those affected by mental ill health.

Pieta House
    - Suicide and Self Harm Crisis Centre, providing services for those who are in suicidal distress and those who engage in self-harm. Contact information for your local Pieta House can be found here.

Mental Health Ireland - Information Service on issues relating to mental health and mental illness.

IACP - Irish Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy. Provides services to help you to find a therapist in your area.

(help for those under 18 years of age)

Turn2Me Youth - services aimed towards providing mental health information to help young people get through tough times.

Childline Ireland - (1800 66 66 66) - free and confidential support organisation for anybody under 18. They provide telephone, SMS and online chat services with those who can help.

Teenline
    - (1800 83 36 34) - freephone helpline for young adults, 365 days per year, 24 hours a day

For links to other services, please check out the forum charter for more information.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭Sober Crappy Chemis

One positive step that I took over the last two days was not considering scaremongering and wild speculation from armchair experts and statisticians.

It worked wonders for my mental state and it is my plan for the coming days.

Obviously, it is important to keep informed, but stick with the facts from trustworthy sources.

Keep well everybody.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,144 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I would, by no means , consider my self to be a worrier or someone prone to believe in doomsday scenarios but this has me spooked. Listening to off the ball there it seems I'm not alone in that. And put a bit of perspective on this pandemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 cathalreilly89

Beasty wrote: »
    Based on a suggestion by a poster I am starting a thread where we can share information and resources on mental health issues particularly given the stressful situations many people are finding themselves in. This virus will have adverse impacts not only on those it affects directly, but their loved ones, colleagues and friends. There will be a significant economic impact and many people will find themselves with money problems. There are also practical day to day things that people will have concerns over

This is not to discuss individual cases. It is for general discussion of mental health issues. While you can share your personal experiences, please do not request or offer specific advice on individual circumstances. I will sticky this thread

I have read some coverage on how the Coronavirus can effect your mental health. While the effects of the Coronavirus are devastating to countries (like Ireland) and individuals, I have not found that it has impacted my mental health. However, I do realize the impact it could potentially have on our mental health.

Fear and anxiety can be stressful and have a negative impact on our health. While, this blog is not an advice medium, I have found that talking about your worries to people you trust can be helpful in times like this. Voice your warranted and informed worries and fears with your family, friends, partners or those around you. I have found in the past that this has helped with my personal stress and anxieties.

I am not sure how helpful it is to scroll through social media articles and columns even though I am a culprit for this myself. We are being bombarded by news headlines on a daily basis as it is but there is a certain level of “fear-mongering” taking place on social media around the virus and I would avoid Facebook, Twitter, Instagram etc until the virus has run its course. Why not watch a movie instead – get the popcorn at the ready and sit back and let your mind take the focus off your anxieties around this devastating virus.

While, the virus has and continues to have serious effects on the world, just remember to keep yourself safe during this time for this too shall pass.

I have found the following articles useful in respect to mental health and the coronavirus: hse article on coronavirus and mental health. Thanks

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 74,773 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

cjmc wrote: »
    I would, by no means , consider my self to be a worrier or someone prone to believe in doomsday scenarios but this has me spooked. Listening to off the ball there it seems I'm not alone in that. And put a bit of perspective on this pandemic.

You are definitely not alone, and there is a lot of evidence in the "main" discussion thread of people getting very worried about the situation that is evolving. That is entirely understandable particularly as we are, to some extend, staring into the unknown. There really is no-one on the planet who has experienced something of such a Global nature before - yes we've seen Ebola outbreaks and the likes of SARS, but they were very regionalised and did not have major impacts on the Western World, and in particular Europe and the EU

However on the flip side of that it means we have the best minds in the world working on this. We will get through it, but we don't know to what extent the world may be different. Add to that uncertainty over jobs and the wider economy and a lot of people are going to be worrying. I guess what I'm saying is don't worry about worrying!! It's entirely reasonable to be apprehensive. I've possibly made you more worried by those comments, but that is really not the intention!! (honest!!!)

I just detach myself from it all by trying to keep you lot in order:pac:

There is perhaps something in that last point. Being cooked up at home with little to do gives you a lot of time to think about it. Try and make yourself busy. Go out for a walk. Read a good book. Think about anything that you've put off doing around the house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,144 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I wish I could go out for a walk but I have an ' underlying condition' which means I can't walk well. I am/was, until today, also a smoker and feel like a sitting duck for this virus. I have been lucky to live this long given some of the scrapes I've gotten into but I feel like the chickens are coming home to roost. Ah well, I'm sure it could be worse

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭eddie73

Its going to be an issue.

Most people need to socially interact in order to validate themselves as a person. They struggle to do this alone. We are all going to be in isolation for a couple of months at least, judging by the way the information is being broken to us over the past week. How this isolation will effect us will depend on resources and coping skills. Having a phone is a must. Skype and WhatsApp too. I would try to take something up totally off the chart and upskill rather than focusing on your original job or related fields, as there is every likelihood that there will be a massive change in this by the summer time.

Illusioned and disillusioned times ahead.

Personally I hope that this crisis makes us a better race. We are too profit driven and have lost our compassion.

A user has kindly forwarded a couple of links

The Good Limbo - An online mental health community

Counselling and Therapy - a directory of counsellors and therapists in Ireland, some are offering online sessions

Also IAHIP have a directory of fully accredited psychotherapists. Many of these will offer Skype sessions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

I have to admit, as someone with a myriad of severe mental health issues and particularly anxiety, I'm surprised at how well I'm doing through all of this. I guess when you live your whole life inwardly preparing for every possible worst case scenario, it's almost a relief when the whole world is finally in sync with that way of thinking.

One word of advice I'd give to anyone is to be organised regarding your medication at this time. Order repeat prescriptions as early as possible, maybe talk to your doctor about changing from weekly to monthly scripts if possible ... it would not be ideal to be stuck without meds at this time.

Other than that what's working for me is getting plenty of sleep, eating healthily, keeping my apartment clean and tidy, staying connected with people (from a distance!), keeping a good routine even while working from home, getting fresh air and exercise daily. And choosing reading and jigsaws over Netflix. It's amazing how much better you feel when you're in control of the basics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,404 ✭✭✭✭Alun

eddie73 wrote: »
    Personally I hope that this crisis makes us a better race. We are too profit driven and have lost our compassion.
    That's the only thing on the horizon for me that's keeping me even vaguely positive at the moment. A sort of defining moment for humanity when we finally realize as a species that the only real way forward is cooperation, compassion and empathy rather than endless conflict and aggression.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,489 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

A friend who works with special needs people says that already they are really struggling with their routines being interrupted and events which they might normally have attended on a weekly basis being cancelled. This is leading to challenging behavior for their carers (both family and external).
    I saw that the PM of Austria (I think) broadcast a special message for children to help them come to terms with that is going on and I think that a similar message on either a national, or local level might help to communicate to different sectors of society who just cannot grasp the main evening news.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,319 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I might not help and could even make worse but please feel free to pm if anyone wants to chat, sometimes an online stranger is better than in person, I'm not a weirdo stalker nutter :P just an anxious worrier

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Can I suggest video calling for chats with friends. Not sure about others but it’s something I only ever did with family. We ‘sat down’ with two friends on video and a drink for an hour last night and it did wonders for our stress levels. Definitely one to do. Our family has just installed google duo too

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 784 ✭✭✭LaFuton

is sex ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭lucalux

Good news moment and posting here as it might suit some people who are self isolating and struggling with the lack of normal activities.

Drive-in movie theatre at Leopardstown.
    They just had a feature on RTE Radio 1.

Book online, no contact with anyone outside your own car. Tune in your radio for audio!

Shows at 12, 3, 6 and 9pm.

Seems like a great initiative for the times, fair play to them

https://www.retrodrivein.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

LaFuton wrote: »
    is sex ok?

It's very short and unfulfiling. For the ladies.

I think it's great.

is sex ok?

If it's with someone who you are ordinarily in contact with then yes.
    If you think it's an opportunity to go through Tinder like a hurricane, then no.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭LowOdour

I have to say, staying off the main Coronavirus thread on Boards yesterday and today was great for the brain

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

LowOdour wrote: »
    I have to say, staying off the main Coronavirus thread on Boards yesterday and today was great for the brain

I felt yesterday that my mental health was a disaster. As in, twice I felt myself getting close to the verge of tears.

Today, I've mostly avoided that thread and I've seen a marked improvement.

I think that I'm coming to terms with this being the new normal for a few weeks at least, if not months. And realistically, there's no point obsessing over it. I'll keep washing my hands well, I'll socially isolate and distance as much as I can.

But I'm not going to dedicate every waking moment to reading about it. My reading about it isn't going to improve my situation, nor make me any more vigilant.

And this post isn't to dunk on the thread. It's simply to say this to people. There's a massive difference between being educated on a subject and being fanatically obsessive with one. This disease is going to disrupt people's lives massively, but from a mental health point of view, it's really important not to let it actually become your life.

• Advertisement

Something I've done for a long time on Boards is click on the most thanked posts tab and view the 60 posts within that each day.

I've found this very good during this period when at least 55 of them are related to the Corona Virus but for the most part these posts are positive and are highlighting some good news, or are calling out someone who is not being in any way helpful or kind with their posts.

And also, in the middle of these posts, M.T, Cranium's daily weather updates is still one of the most thanked posts which I think is great to see because I imagine people being 'Oh this is the end of the world, but we are going to have some sunshine on Thursday after some early showers, which will be nice'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭citysights

For primary school kids stuck at home it’s unreal. They don’t have phones but mine are sending what’s app videos of themselves to their friends on my phone ( I am connected with some of the mums on my what’s app.) We will do this everyday and they can sing dance dress up show teddy bears dolls whatever. I feel it is a way for the to feel connected It’s something at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭dto001

I have used TherapyHub.ie for online counselling.

Irish platform with accredited counsellors from some of the bodies like IACP.

Just in case anyone can’t get to regular sessions, it’s a good back up plan

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,314 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Something I've done for a long time on Boards is click on the most thanked posts tab and view the 60 posts within that each day.

I've found this very good during this period when at least 55 of them are related to the Corona Virus but for the most part these posts are positive and are highlighting some good news, or are calling out someone who is not being in any way helpful or kind with their posts.

And also, in the middle of these posts, M.T, Cranium's daily weather updates is still one of the most thanked posts which I think is great to see because I imagine people being 'Oh this is the end of the world, but we are going to have some sunshine on Thursday after some early showers, which will be nice'.

Same here. This is exactly what I do and always have done. It can lead to reading some very entertaining and informative threads.

Just now, as you have said, the most thanked are almost all in the cv thread, usually good news, or reining someone in if needed.

I'm so glad to see MT's posts still appearing in the most thanked. It gives me a sense of normality in these strange times.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

www.jigsawonline.ie is a new extension of the Jigsaw services. Lots of helpful videos, articles, live group chats and there will be vlogs in coming weeks. For 12-25 year olds and parents.

is sex ok?
    So long as you adopt appropriate social distancing.....

• Registered Users Posts: 22,122 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Google hangouts is a free video conferencing service from Google. It’s great because almost everyone has a google account already, it works on laptops and phones, and best of all, if you have a laptop and a tv, you can put it on the TV via HDMI using the laptops microphone and camera so you can talk to your friends and family in a less disorienting way

(Everyone hates the shakey cam up nostril camera angle you get from holding a phone for video chat)

It’s especially good for younger kids to talk to their friends and have virtual play dates

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

is sex ok?

imagev1a01b51beaa12595b0ba34f9cf316606f-g1mo510riryl0yciip2_t1880.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Heighway61

We are struggling.

I'm not in good health - cancer, heart block, chronic autoimmune disease, chronic progressive neurological condition.

My wife makes between 12 and 21 house calls per day for the HSE. She is terrified she will pass the infection on to me or to her clients (who she has personally got to know). There is no PPE equipment available. She is many years at this job and is hard-nosed and experienced but at night she cries.

It's affecting my eating and my sleep. My autoimmune condition is flaring due to the stress. We are assuming my wife is carrying the virus into the house when she gets home at night and are trying to zealously clean. However, every day we see something new that we should have been doing. If there was somewhere I could isolate myself for the duration of this thing I would do that, but there isn't.

We feel it is just a matter of time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

Not looking for a lecture but has anyone else been drinking more than usual?

Dundalk, Co. Louth

Advertisement