Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Supermarkets - the Megathread

• 16-03-2020 6:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭

Just back from Aldi and Dunnes, neither was particularly busy but there was no fresh chicken to be found anywhere. The security guard in Dunnes was at the entrance wiping down customers trollies and basket handles with wet wipes and all the staff were wearing gloves.

Have heard Lidl are implementing priority shopping for OAPs from 9 to 11am which is good news.

Electrical shops in Dublin are reporting that you cant buy a chest freezer anywhere, they all sold out over the weekend.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

I was in Lidl yesterday here in Roscommon.

All 2 litre still water, eggs, oatmeal, toilet paper, hand-soap, disinfectant products and any fresh food on offer was gone.

Nobody buying any alcohol that I could see which surprised me given pubs were about to close.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Try smaller independent shops and butchers.
    I got lots there a few days ago I couldn't get anywhere.

After all the panic buying madness when the announcements were made, things will quieten.

The stores will be open so don't worry about a 'lockdown'.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,792 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Lidl and Tesco to implement priority shopping for elderly people and home carers between 9am and 11am
    https://www.thejournal.ie/lidl-priority-shopping-elderly-5048008-Mar2020/

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

City center shops have been cleaned out for the past few days. Many are not heeding government instructions and are stockpiling like idiots. Very frustrating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Stockpiling and other hoarding will end as freezers and vacant cupboard spaces fill up and as dopes spot that grocery shops remain open.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,924 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Own a vape shop and ive never been busier, you think its all stockpiling but people realising your better vaping than smoking if you catch this. Silver linings and all that.

Was shopping in Aldi Sunday morning as i do every week, probably 95% of shelves full, limits on tinned food, pasta, cleaning products, toilet roll and nappies.
    Calm enough

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

rossie1977 wrote: »
    Nobody buying any alcohol that I could see which surprised me given pubs were about to close.

Alcohol depresses the immune system.

And many may realise they may struggle to pay for rent when their bank balance starts to fall if they've no wages coming in.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,869 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Muahahaha wrote:
    Just back from Aldi and Dunnes, neither was particularly busy but there was no fresh chicken to be found anywhere. The security guard in Dunnes was at the entrance wiping down customers trollies and basket handles with wet wipes and all the staff were wearing gloves.

I'm not sure if you would be able to get a chicken on any March 16th. Paddy's day is a big roast dinner day for a lot of ireland. I be willing to bet that there will be chicken on the shelves again on Wednesday

• Registered Users Posts: 27,792 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

There was a bird flu outbreak in the border region - could be affecting chicken and eggs getting onto the shelves.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,698 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I've managed to avoid them apart from centra around the corner to get beer, going to cycle up to lidl artane soon and get some stuff, hoping it's not too bad

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Tescos Arklow has plenty of empty shelves as of a few minutes ago. Apparently they had deliveries in this morning too. Plenty of greedy ****ers down this way it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭storker

odyssey06 wrote: »
    There was a bird flu outbreak in the border region - could be affecting chicken and eggs getting onto the shelves.

Ah but which gets there first? :D

Tesco Wicklow completely cleaned out of every kind of fresh meat. It's ridiculous. This is what happens when people rely on social media for hard information.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭dmc17

The ironic thing is, even with closing all the pubs we have all these idiots crammed into the shops together. There is no issue with supply chains, even though people seem to be trying their level best to create one.
    If everybody just shopped as they would have done before this situation, there would be much less chance of spreading the virus. People are crammed into the shops because they are afraid of the virus spreading :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 30,149 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Locally I found it okay.
    I'd describe it at brisk. People are getting a trolley of shopping instead of popping in a few times during the week. Stock levels are okay.
    Not much pasta and no flour at the weekend. Lidl had customer quotas on a few things.
    Some people are a little over whelmed that people that a family might use a trolley of shopping in a week and they call it panic buying.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭sidcon

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Tescos Arklow has plenty of empty shelves as of a few minutes ago. Apparently they had deliveries in this morning too. Plenty of greedy ****ers down this way it seems.

As a retailer in the past few days I've visited, tesco, aldi, lidl, dunnes stores, supervalue. I again visited Dunnes stores and tesco today, tesco shelves are shocking, they have not fully restocked since my first visit, Dunnes and Aldi have.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,924 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Aldi anyway from what I've seen are filling the shelves as the stuff comes off, doing a fantastic job. Tesco I was in had nothing the other day.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,149 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Aldi ware house is looking for temporary staff for two weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

The supermarkets in parts of London are in a dire state to be honest. Popped into one on the way home and the gaff was bare, and I mean bare.

No meat; three empty aisles. About 3/4 products left; lamb steaks, Clonakilty black pudding and a solitary roast beef with the plastic burst.

No fish. No eggs.

No rice, pasta, cous cous or any staples. Lentils and pulses gone. Nearly all the tines food gone.

90% of the veg gone. Couple of packets of asparagus and brocolli left but most stuff gone.

Cheese aisle massively diminished.

No jacks roll or tissues or anything. Nappies totally gone. Women’s sanitary products all gone.

No cleaning products at all.

It’s not great. Can buy some stuff in the Turkish or Indian markets and most of them are grand to be fair but a minority have been engaging in disgusting price gouging.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

Some people are a little over whelmed that people that a family might use a trolley of shopping in a week and they call it panic buying.

Yeah i was in my local supervalu the other day and a guy is on his phone saying "its madness, everyone in here is panic buying". I had a 2lr of milk in my hand. Guy in front of me had a paper. Couple of people had a basket of shopping, but nothing crazy, just an average shop. The line was just a bit long!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Certainly seems that the supply chains are struggling to keep up. Fresh meat stocks are flying out the door.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Odelay

neonsofa wrote: »
    Yeah i was in my local supervalu the other day and a guy is on his phone saying "its madness, everyone in here is panic buying". I had a 2lr of milk in my hand. Guy in front of me had a paper. Couple of people had a basket of shopping, but nothing crazy, just an average shop. The line was just a bit long!

In Supervalu an hour ago. Lots of meat, 60% normal amount of bread but that is to be expected with the weekend in it. Other than the bread, all of the other shelves had as much a normal on them. Only two checkouts open, neither were busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,298 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Aldi, Lidl have a 4 units per product limit
    Tesco, Dealz also have a sign saying they have a quota on products

Vectors are still proximity crowding around each other in aisles and checkouts

• Registered Users Posts: 16,246 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

The warehouse where I work supplies Lidl, they are ramping up the orders for the shops over the last few days.

Pallets of bog roll around the place, I'd make a fortune on it if I made off with one.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Supermarket retailers revenues will see big jump in revenue in March if nothing else.

Probably have to start a hiring blitz some to keep up with demand

• Registered Users Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭mathie

Can anyone else book a delivery slot for Tesco online?

Earliest I can get is 27th March!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,120 ✭✭✭plodder

Supervalu in Swords (Pavilions) was completely restocked the couple of times I was there the last few days, whereas Tesco was a complete s**t show. Incredible difference, and I have to say the advertising that Supervalu are doing on the radio recently seems to be backed up with action.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭appledrop

plodder wrote: »
    Supervalu in Swords (Pavilions) was completely restocked the couple of times I was there the last few days, whereas Tesco was a complete s**t show. Incredible difference, and I have to say the advertising that Supervalu are doing on the radio recently seems to be backed up with action.

Dunnes in Pavillions was also really well stocked so if you headed there between two shops you would get everything. I know some people might not be mad about going into shopping centre but trust me apart from these two shops no one in other ones

Sounds like the 1000s of people who purchased chest freezers over the last week (as per DID sales person) have at last filled them.

Leaving aside alcohol based hand wash which is still like hens teeth and dettol which is also in short supply, only thing I really noticed in my SuperValu today were eggs- not one to be found- what’s the story there?
    Purchased a dozen last weekend in local greengrocer (one of the few left in Ireland) thank goodness for them) - won’t need any more for another 10 days or so. Just think it’s odd. But nice to see people calming down a bit- it’s a marathon not a race

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭donglen

Sounds like the 1000s of people who purchased chest freezers over the last week (as per DID sales person) have at last filled them.

Leaving aside alcohol based hand wash which is still like hens teeth and dettol which is also in short supply, only thing I really noticed in my SuperValu today were eggs- not one to be found- what’s the story there?
    Purchased a dozen last weekend in local greengrocer (one of the few left in Ireland) thank goodness for them) - won’t need any more for another 10 days or so. Just think it’s odd. But nice to see people calming down a bit- it’s a marathon not a race

Was there not a a big kill off of chickens in Monaghan a few days ago due the bird flu? Possibly affected the short-term egg supply?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

I work in one of the large retailers, bird flu is impacting on eggs and chicken. As for meat at the moment the surge in buying it has put a backlog on the deliveries but they will start returning to normal again soon.

Fresh food is different to ambient, no retailer would of had warehouses full of it in case of a shortage.

Advertisement