Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid-19 Part VIII - 292 cases ROI (2 deaths) 62 in NI (as of 17th March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭kerrycork13

maebee wrote: »
    It's taken me from 9 am this morning to now (midnight) to catch up with the latest post here. Now I can't remember what I wanted to post at 9 o'clock this morning.

Its crazy. Full time job. Need to take a break from it. Its addictive informative and exhausting all in one if I'm honest. Q my mental health and physical health as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭theballz

Abba987 wrote: »
    Yes without a host. But thats extremely unlikely even with the most extreme lockdown if essential services are maintained.

Our best chance is slowing it down to allow our health services to cope until a vaccine is developed

I thought 9/11 was the scariest thing i would ever see. This is so much closer

9/11 was a horrific event that shook the world.

This event, in my opinion, is worse in terms of the horror associated to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

They had the makings of a good plot , but when they made it out a cheating wife was patient zero it was too melodramatic, they had the wet market concept but went with an unusual origin for the virus -a pig instead of an exotic animal such as a servile
    Thanks for ruining this for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,815 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

If this was a war I would pick up a gun, but the worst part is the sense of being powerless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    So quickly moving, isn't it.

I'm cautiously optimistic now, our government has taken the right approach. Hopefully our citizens will follow. The course of this pandemic ultimately lies in the hands of our people.

And our airports!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Adiboo wrote: »
    What kind of whatsapp groups do ye all be in with the hysterics?

Believe me, it's not restricted to Facebook hunzos. I got one in my Work Whatsapp Group which is generally for staff looking to swap days/shifts etc but it's been a hive of misinformation lately. Rumours and basic BS. Worryingly, I work for the Prison Service/Dept of Justice and it's absolutely full of buffoons sending stuff like that and forwarding it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

If this was a war I would pick up a gun, but the worst part is the sense of being powerless.

We are not powerless. You and I can be national heroes by staying at home and binge on Netflix.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

bekker wrote: »
    They have said from the start that they are relying on the advice of health experts and will act in accordance with that advice. So that's not down to them it's down to the health experts.

In all other respects there is no evidence of joined up thinking. Going no further than posts on new thread cf lay-off, signing on etc. there is no direction, no coherent plan.

Plans take time, especially complex ones.
    Time is not on their side however they are doing well in my opinion.
    Safety of people before the economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭Jeff2

I wonder If less people are going to A&E then are they going to their GP and overloading them.

I wouldn't think so but...

If not then people that would usually go to their GP for repeat prescriptions may stop going.

Michael Mcdowell and

Michael mcnamara and Peadar Tóibín..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,982 ✭✭✭threeball

Just on the army, I think there's going to be regional lock downs rather than the whole country. They said we're were going to get localized updates tomorrow or Tuesday.

Still banging that drum? People didn't bite at 12 noon and they're not gonna bite at 12 midnight. Put it on whatsapp. That will get the reaction you want

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,923 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Why?
    They are doing a good job in this terrible situation. Who would do better?

Anybody with a prescribed loyalty to the citizens of this country first, ALL the citizens, everybody else, fûck em.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/increased-resources-to-tackle-mental-health-impact-of-outbreak-1.4203738?mode=amp

Good message here on mental health.

Most people will never have been through a crisis like this and may be worried about the restrictions etc.

I was just coming in to post this: https://www2.hse.ie/wellbeing/mental-health/minding-your-mental-health-during-the-coronavirus-outbreak.html

I will try to limit my total attention on covid 19 to an hour or two in total per day because I can feel the anxiety creeping up on me. So over and out for now. Stay safe everyone, that includes your mental health. Keep informed but don't believe everything you read or see on the internet - there are WUMs everywhere and well meaning people end up passing on their BS. Get some time away from news, social media and online updates every day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Syncpolice

Omackeral wrote: »
    Believe me, it's not restricted to Facebook hunzos. I got one in my Work Whatsapp Group which is generally for staff looking to swap days/shifts etc but it's been a hive of misinformation lately. Rumours and basic BS. Worryingly, I work for the Prison Service/Dept of Justice and it's absolutely full of buffoons sending stuff like that and forwarding it.

Thought it was full of buffoons

• Registered Users Posts: 6,801 ✭✭✭amacca

Anyone else think the UK Govt may have ****ed up big time in their strategy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

SlowBlowin wrote: »
    i Was just in bed thinking about this (had to get up to find the prep H). The implications are massive:

The Pubs
    The book keepers for the pubs
    The crispman that delivers
    The food suppliers
    The 3 hairy guys that play music at the weekends

Thats the pub but already so many industries are finished and its online too, think of the adverts you see on Youtube. How many people will buy new ear buds and a new phone. The advertisers will stop advertising, YouTube ad revenue will crash, creators will have no income.

I live on the the Ring of Kerry, and like many other places totally dependent on tourism. The airports, the hotels, surely the cruise industry is dead (one of my old customers used to print all the brochures for the cruise ships).

Its really not something to think about, its a chain that goes on and on.

I just hope and pray to god that the worst case scenarios dont come into play, if they do its hard to see a return to normal for many many years to come.

I sold my business and retired a few years ago, when I started running costs were simple & low, but over the years I have seen more and more things in business became a recurring expense. These days in business you need to have a good source of funding in order to mothball an operation (lockdown) in part because of all the recurring charges.

I feel for the boardies trying to run a business during this crisis, it must be so hard.

I have come to the conclusion the only thing for me to do is stop reading this thread and get on with all the house, garden, and personal projects I can, think positively and pray for a breakthrough.
    Strazdas wrote: »
    You couldn't have a three month lockdown : that in itself would probably kill a lot of people, never mind the virus.
    I'm sorry but that's the reality of what we're looking at. They're all but saying it explicitly on the news. Just because you think it couldn't happen, doesn't mean that it won't. Society needs to be restructured completely. Hundreds of thousands of people need to retrain to be able to provide useful labour now. Entire segments of society are now obsolete for the medium to long term and supply of goods will need to be made domestic. Life is different for good.

It may bring people in close-knit communities together. It's a distraction from the distraction.
    cnocbui wrote: »
    After this, the Irish people need to make it very clear that something needs to be done about the cost of the HSE vs the outcomes delivered. Spending near the top of the OECD per capita, shouldn't result in almost the longest waiting lists in Europe.
    Not to mention all the people left with irreparable damage because of these waiting lists.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭tigger123

Plans take time, especially complex ones.
    Time is not on their side however they are doing well in my opinion.
    Safety of people before the economy.

It's not one or the other. If the economy tanks it, it will be the most vulnerable in society that suffers the most. Trying to save the economy is for all of our benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,617 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

'Unrest in west Dublin'...enough going on in the country without this...
    GARDAÍ IN WEST Dublin are dealing with a serious incident involving “up to 30 youths” in the Cherry Orchard area.

Officers have received reports of a number of vans being burnt out. The public order unit has been dispatched.

A number of units are currently at the scene and are trying to apprehend the suspects.

Informed sources said up to 30 youths were involved in what they described as “serious unrest”.

https://www.thejournal.ie/cheery-orchard-garda-incident-5047312-Mar2020/

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Less of that and more of this

XLLMH9k-cG3UekKggXg11X-AUSw=.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭dockysher

Full lockdown will be announced tomorrow at 11am. Up to urselfs if u believe this or not but shops will be mental after the announcement so id go in early tomorrow to get yer bits if needed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

Strumms wrote: »
    Anybody with a prescribed loyalty to the citizens of this country first, ALL the citizens, everybody else, fûck em.

???? Angry much

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭Shelga

amacca wrote: »

Yes. Whatever about developing herd immunity, what is the plan for when their hospitals are completely overwhelmed in a fortnight?

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭dockysher

Full lockdown will be announced tomorrow at 11am. Up to urselfs if u believe this or not but shops will be mental after the announcement so id go in early tomorrow to get yer bits if needed

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

nocoverart wrote: »
    Anybody else getting disturbed sleep from this? I’ll nod off grand and wake up during the night thinking “this sh1t can’t be real” my plate was way beyond full already and now it’s overflowing! and I know I’m not the only one. Everybody has their concerns and worries.

Yes, find it impossible not to check updates. Something crazy seems to happen every hour of every day, if I do something for two hours and check back I feel like I'd been in a coma and missed days worth of news

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Syncpolice

amacca wrote: »

Yes esp if they start locking down shortly

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Omackeral wrote: »
    Not sure but I know that your typical person thinks a flu is a cold or a runny nose that you get and can still go to work. An flu renders you in absolute bits and keeps ya bed bound mostly.

Had the real flu once 2002, every bone ached,the sweat was running off me even though I was freezing,head was splitting ,3 days in the bed, horrible

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭ForestFire

They had the makings of a good plot , but when they made it out a cheating wife was patient zero it was too melodramatic, they had the wet market concept but went with an unusual origin for the virus -a pig instead of an exotic animal such as a servile

I reallyiked the bit where the WHO expert ra g the guy on the bus, coughing a sneezing and basically touching every thing in sight, so get off the bus as soo. As possible.....

I mean come on... She should have told him, don'teave anyone off the bus!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,330 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

'Unrest in west Dublin'...enough going on in the country without this...

https://www.thejournal.ie/cheery-orchard-garda-incident-5047312-Mar2020/

Was thinking earlier how the scumbags will react to this - guess no different.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭893bet

Syncpolice wrote: »
    They were too slow off the mark

Let the virus get in

Well they did no worse that the other 100 countries. There was never any keeping it out in from a small open country such as Ireland.

I think they have done a good job so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,923 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

???? Angry much

Nope, you are misreading the sentiment behind what I’m saying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭maebee

I have a good few years up on the clock (61) and have lived through a lot. Not to be alarmist but in those 61 years I'd never heard the word "pandemic" until this week. Every single one of us needs to understand this word and act accordingly.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement