Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid-19 Part VIII - 292 cases ROI (2 deaths) 62 in NI (as of 17th March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭kerrycork13

JDD wrote: »
    Jesus, that’s a tough decision. I would limit your face to face visits to once a month, Skype at other times. Try to have the face to face visits outdoors, do all the hand washing obvs. You need to get her mam on board so that they’re social distancing as much as possible too. Good luck man!

Thanks.

A reality for many others now I believe. The fact she is an only child and her mam is a teacher in her school might help and there is no one else in the house also. I feel her mom whom I've yet to talk to is very responsible so she will be taking the necessary precautions.

Whatever about anything else one thing this virus will teach us is the reality of thinking of the consequences of our actions before we act can be lifesaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I know a lot of people don't like the lazy and inaccurate comparisons to the flu but just out of curiosity how many people die from the flu annually in Ireland does anyone know?

Not sure but I know that your typical person thinks a flu is a cold or a runny nose that you get and can still go to work. An flu renders you in absolute bits and keeps ya bed bound mostly.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,298 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

jamesf85 wrote: »
    That's my thinking too.

Say we implement a 3 month total lockdown and we manage to contain it, basically nobody works and the economy is completely crippled, everybody stays in isolation and we get rid of it here. It means we can't interact with anyone else in the world then until there's a vaccine in place.

Everyone in the planet needs to be on the same page or else we can't open up our borders because we'll be right back to where we were last week.

You couldn't have a three month lockdown : that in itself would probably kill a lot of people, never mind the virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Lundstram wrote: »
    Spare a thought for all those pub workers - bar staff, cleaners and security guards who will wake up in the morning without a job through no fault of their own. Particulalry the full-time staff, I was one myself many moons ago. Their future looks bleak.

It is not ideal but we will all get through it. And in a macabre way we'll be better off than some other public facing staff that can't be made unemployed. Things will pick up, people will want pints and those of us that can pour them will be back behind that stick, cursing it and loving it in alternating bouts :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

I know a lot of people don't like the lazy and inaccurate comparisons to the flu but just out of curiosity how many people die from the flu annually in Ireland does anyone know?

Google it. It's come up about one hundred times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

I watched the movie Contagion today , bullsh1te , a real
    Virus movie will come out of this whole lark, something to look forward to, parasite 2

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

fritzelly wrote: »
    That seems a ridiculously low number - if you have 4 kids

Hahah this was funnier than it should be

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

niallo27 wrote: »
    I posted this last night but i think it was lost but is it not odd that only 20% on the princess cruise tested postive even though more than likely more than 80% to 90% should have been. It was rampant on it.
    That is very bizarre. I'm baffled by this, truly am.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭ForestFire

Boards.ie will surely have to be take offline soon, all these posts about Covid 19 must be seeping into the bytes that enter our phones and 'puters :eek:

Apparently if you quote a post, it’s an instant infection :eek:

Jesus that's a it harsh, what would they do for a multi quote!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,955 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

branie2 wrote: »
    I heard that the virus was manmade

I heard it was this chic, an apple and a snake.

• Advertisement

ShooterSF wrote: »
    It is not ideal but we will all get through it. And in a macabre way we'll be better off than some other public facing staff that can't be made unemployed. Things will pick up, people will want pints and those of us that can pour them will be back behind that stick, cursing it and loving it in alternating bouts :)

Quiet an uplifting post if I’m honest. Good health my friend

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Virus movie will come out of this whole lark, something to look forward to, parasite 2

try kingdom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Syncpolice

ForestFire wrote: »
    Jesus that's a it harsh, what would they do for a multi quote!!

Infects everyone you're quoting

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Clarence Boddiker

If the announcement does come tomorrow, remember all the Journalists like this one who are lying to you

Screen-Shot-2020-03-15-at-22-28-08.png

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

Strazdas wrote: »
    You couldn't have a three month lockdown : that in itself would probably kill a lot of people, never mind the virus.
    That's the dilemma all governments are facing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭appledrop

Outbreak is a much better film.

Or if you have Netflix watch Pandemic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

hawkwing wrote: »
    Pam and her 5 friends :confused:

No thumbs allowed or pinkies, you decide....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Abba987 wrote: »

I thought 9/11 was the scariest thing i would ever see. This is so much closer

Perspective is everything and after this is got on top of the threat posed by various gun toting religious nutters and cult extremists is going to seem very small beer indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

If the announcement does come tomorrow, remember all the Journalists like this one who are lying to you

Screen-Shot-2020-03-15-at-22-28-08.png

and if it doesn't you should be perma-banned from boards.

bekker wrote: »
    Afraid we may have a 241.

A correlation exists between a healthy economy and healthy population, we need to understand that

• Advertisement

Those messages on whatsapp though.

''Omg the Fire Brigade will even be doing the ambulance people's work!'' Em yes, they do that anyway every night of the week you absolute fuck-knuckle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

niallo27 wrote: »
    I posted this last night but i think it was lost but is it not odd that only 20% on the princess cruise tested postive even though more than likely more than 80% to 90% should have been. It was rampant on it.

Of that 20% how many survived.?
    Should be out of quarantine by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,571 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/increased-resources-to-tackle-mental-health-impact-of-outbreak-1.4203738?mode=amp

Good message here on mental health.

Most people will never have been through a crisis like this and may be worried about the restrictions etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

In relation to the government financial help today where an employer paay the staff 203 euro a week and can claim it back, is this just for firms that cease trading? It says that on their website and the lady announcing it said it on the news too.

1) How could a company that has ceased trading pay staff?

2) I am pretty sure we will have a huge drop off in orders tomorrow which will result in a chat about how many staff we can keep. I don't believe there is a chance we will go bust and I want to keep as many staff as possible. We have about 75 in Ireland. Could we lay off 10 or 20 or 30 or 40, continue trading and avail of this scheme, if we can afford it that is. We will probably be delaying our VAT and PAYE payments for cash flow as was announced earlier last week too

Strazdas wrote: »

The breakdown of the family unit would occur soon after week 2!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

fritzelly wrote: »
    That seems a ridiculously low number - if you have 4 kids

Which is what percentage of the population?

Basically means a ban on extended family gatherings, house parties, kids parties and the like.

Not for everyone of course. Imo gatherings of 10, 20, 50 people etc are risky if even one person is infected.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

ITman88 wrote: »
    Quiet an uplifting post if I’m honest. Good health my friend

This has brought out the best in people, some stupidity aside. It may make us question our ways and put the wellbeing of people first. I hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

appledrop wrote: »
    Outbreak is a much better film.

Or if you have Netflix watch Pandemic.

I liked contagion. Found it quite realistic. Outbreak is very good though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I really enjoyed Contagion as well

• Advertisement

Outbreak is very good though.

Brave choice of words on here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement