Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid-19 Part VIII - 292 cases ROI (2 deaths) 62 in NI (as of 17th March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

In relation to the government financial help today where an employer paay the staff 203 euro a week and can claim it back, is this just for firms that cease trading? It says that on their website and the lady announcing it said it on the news too.

1) How could a company that has ceased trading pay staff?

2) I am pretty sure we will have a huge drop off in orders tomorrow which will result in a chat about how many staff we can keep. I don't believe there is a chance we will go bust and I want to keep as many staff as possible. We have about 75 in Ireland. Could we lay off 10 or 20 or 30 or 40, continue trading and avail of this scheme, if we can afford it that is. We will probably be delaying our VAT and PAYE payments for cash flow as was announced earlier last week too

I don't she meant closed for good, trading paused. Yes you should be able to temporarily lay off some.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Anyone else seeing comments and posts from people on social media who have symptoms but cant get help? Ive seen about 4 today, one woman said she called her gp, the helplines and called for an ambulance as shes really sick and finding it hard to breath but cant get anyone to test her or help her. She was given tablets but said theyre only making her worse. Her child has an underlying condition and he's very sick too with same symptoms. She said she's been ringing and ringing the gp and helpline but its just going around in circles and no ones answering the helpline number.
    Another guy said his flatmate tested positive but no one else in the flat was tested or contacted. This is the most worrying part of this imo. I know form having to call an ambulance for my dad a few months ago, the ambulance didnt show up for 40 minutes, he lives 10 minute walk from the hospital. Our health care system is a shambles and that will be what kills people during this epidemic, not the virus.

There's a lot of understandable hysteria, but social media is the place where whatever crises exists, people will post the worst they can think of for some sort of attention.

There may be grains of truth in some, more than grains even and there's an awful lot of anxiety going around, but we really, really need to take some serious stock and not believe every personal post that makes these types of claims as some of them are complete horseshi+

Ask yourself, do you know them? Who is sharing them, the people who share this type of stuff frequently? Where are they etc.

There'll be genuine cases that are struggling, but for everyone of them, I'd wager there are more clamouring for some type of attention because there are people who always do

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

Strumms wrote: »
    Yep, it’s sure as shît looking this way. However this pans out, remember never fûcking vote FG again.

Why?
    They are doing a good job in this terrible situation. Who would do better?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Syncpolice

In relation to the government financial help today where an employer paay the staff 203 euro a week and can claim it back, is this just for firms that cease trading? It says that on their website and the lady announcing it said it on the news too.

1) How could a company that has ceased trading pay staff?

2) I am pretty sure we will have a huge drop off in orders tomorrow which will result in a chat about how many staff we can keep. I don't believe there is a chance we will go bust and I want to keep as many staff as possible. We have about 75 in Ireland. Could we lay off 10 or 20 or 30 or 40, continue trading and avail of this scheme, if we can afford it that is. We will probably be delaying our VAT and PAYE payments for cash flow as was announced earlier last week too

I hope so

It's gonna be a pain in the hole trying to get dole

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

fritzelly wrote: »

Nothing to do in Irelands leading cultural quarter at night but eat or drink....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭Shelga

I live at home and was away for the weekend (within Ireland)- was pretty sensible in terms of social distancing, considering how the situation was evolving by the hour. Still, I was worried about even coming home today, and giving something to my parents, who are 69 and 72, they both smoke, and dad has a heart condition.

I was on the phone last night to my mam, telling her to stay away from mass at all costs. I come home tonight and find out that not only did she go to mass, she was the one dishing out the bloody communion. :(

I'm glad I'm back now, if only to stop her organising some kind of geriatric Glastonbury in the front garden. :eek:

I'm really starting to get scared now. Just have to try stay calm and do an enforced media blackout for a couple of hours a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,474 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Omackeral wrote: »
    Those messages on whatsapp though.

''Omg the Fire Brigade will even be doing the ambulance people's work!'' Em yes, they do that anyway every night of the week you absolute fuck-knuckle.

The problem as well is that those circulating them will claim some level of success, reliability or validity in them if even one minor part of it runs true.

So if (and when) the army are deployed tomorrow to some no doubt very beneficial cause, these muppets will be screaming from the rooftops that they were partially right, and then start circulating some other shíte shortly after.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭aligator_am

I've seen reports of people getting re-infected with the virus (not sure if it has been proven, and in fairness I only read the headlines).

If this is true, then I'm assuming that this little divil mutates, like the common cold or the flu?

Also saw some headlines claiming that the virus can damage testes and possibly make some men infertile. I'm unsure if this has been proven, and to be honest I'm hoping it's not the case.

Honestly not trying to cause additional panic or stress to anyone, but if it is the case that this thing mutates / could re-infect and has the potential to make some men infertile then it sounds like something out of a sci-fi film!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Syncpolice

Why?

They were too slow off the mark

Let the virus get in

• Registered Users Posts: 9,933 ✭✭✭dodzy

branie2 wrote: »
    I really enjoyed Contagion as well

Not a virusy film....but world war Z is excellent. Did like contagion too, particularly the end where you get to see the path back to initial source.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

appledrop wrote: »
    Doing a clear out of house today + found Irish Times article from February 29th. That's only 2 weeks ago.

Figures then for Italy was 655 confirmed cases + Spain was 25 cases .

Holy F@@k look at them both now.

We will be there shortly if we don't get our lockdown right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭maebee

It's taken me from 9 am this morning to now (midnight) to catch up with the latest post here. Now I can't remember what I wanted to post at 9 o'clock this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

I liked contagion. Found it quite realistic. Outbreak is very good though.

Explained Episode 4 The Next Pandemic is worth a watch. Only 20 minutes long.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,174 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

ITman88 wrote: »
    The breakdown of the family unit would occur soon after week 2!!!

You would definitely see many fatalities if it went on for months. The sheer unhealthiness of it would kill people off, many suicides etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Perspective is everything and after this is got on top of the threat posed by various gun toting religious nutters and cult extremists is going to seem very small beer indeed.

I have no doubt that jihadists, nihilists and God knows what else are watching the effects of a biological attack on the West most closely and will conclude that it's extraordinarily easy to implement and it can paralyse a nAtion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

Omackeral wrote: »
    Those messages on whatsapp though.

''Omg the Fire Brigade will even be doing the ambulance people's work!'' Em yes, they do that anyway every night of the week you absolute fuck-knuckle.

What kind of whatsapp groups do ye all be in with the hysterics?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

dodzy wrote: »
    Not a virusy film....but world war Z is excellent. Did like contagion too, particularly the end where you get to see the path back to initial source.

The only one I liked was the one based on SARS.
    Can't remember what it was called.

They had to have a lottery for the virus in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,293 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 16,010 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

washman3 wrote: »
    Of that 20% how many survived.?
    Should be out of quarantine by now.

On the Diamond Princess, nearly half of all people on the ship who tested positive showed no symptoms, and a month later still do not show symptoms, according to the latest daily update from Japan's National Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare, where the boat docked. On the boat, 328 out of 697 people don't have symptoms despite testing positive.

Out of the 697 who tested positive a month ago, seven people have died on the Diamond Princess cruise ship, 15 remain in critical condition, and 30 were once in critical condition but have improved, according to Japan's Ministry of Health, Labor, and Welfare. A further 388 have recovered.

The seven deaths, out of the 697 who tested positive, make for a death rate of 1% on the ship. More deaths are also possible.

All seven deaths so far were of passengers aged 70 or older

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

If the announcement does come tomorrow, remember all the Journalists like this one who are lying to you

Screen-Shot-2020-03-15-at-22-28-08.png

He's right. Rumours are really unhelpful during emergencies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Clarence Boddiker

and if it doesn't you should be perma-banned from boards.

Remember also that the journal.ie stated that news that Ireland would announce emergency measures tomorrow was 'completely false'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

Lundstram wrote: »
    Spare a thought for all those pub workers - bar staff, cleaners and security guards who will wake up in the morning without a job through no fault of their own. Particulalry the full-time staff, I was one myself many moons ago. Their future looks bleak.

i Was just in bed thinking about this (had to get up to find the prep H). The implications are massive:

The Pubs
    The book keepers for the pubs
    The crispman that delivers
    The food suppliers
    The 3 hairy guys that play music at the weekends

Thats the pub but already so many industries are finished and its online too, think of the adverts you see on Youtube. How many people will buy new ear buds and a new phone. The advertisers will stop advertising, YouTube ad revenue will crash, creators will have no income.

I live on the the Ring of Kerry, and like many other places totally dependent on tourism. The airports, the hotels, surely the cruise industry is dead (one of my old customers used to print all the brochures for the cruise ships).

Its really not something to think about, its a chain that goes on and on.

I just hope and pray to god that the worst case scenarios dont come into play, if they do its hard to see a return to normal for many many years to come.

I sold my business and retired a few years ago, when I started running costs were simple & low, but over the years I have seen more and more things in business became a recurring expense. These days in business you need to have a good source of funding in order to mothball an operation (lockdown) in part because of all the recurring charges.

I feel for the boardies trying to run a business during this crisis, it must be so hard.

I have come to the conclusion the only thing for me to do is stop reading this thread and get on with all the house, garden, and personal projects I can, think positively and pray for a breakthrough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Anybody else getting disturbed sleep from this? I’ll nod off grand and wake up during the night thinking “this sh1t can’t be real” my plate was way beyond full already and now it’s overflowing! and I know I’m not the only one. Everybody has their concerns and worries.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

branie2 wrote: »
    I really enjoyed Contagion as well

They had the makings of a good plot , but when they made it out a cheating wife was patient zero it was too melodramatic, they had the wet market concept but went with an unusual origin for the virus -a pig instead of an exotic animal such as a servile

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Registered Users Posts: 17,330 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

I've seen reports of people getting re-infected with the virus (not sure if it has been proven, and in fairness I only read the headlines).

If this is true, then I'm assuming that this little divil mutates, like the common cold or the flu?

Also saw some headlines claiming that the virus can damage testes and possibly make some men infertile. I'm unsure if this has been proven, and to be honest I'm hoping it's not the case.

Honestly not trying to cause additional panic or stress to anyone, but if it is the case that this thing mutates / could re-infect and has the potential to make some men infertile then it sounds like something out of a sci-fi film!

All of those claims are unverified (check the sources) - be some time before the truth is really known

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Just on the army, I think there's going to be regional lock downs rather than the whole country. They said we're were going to get localized updates tomorrow or Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

Syncpolice wrote: »
    They were too slow off the mark

Let the virus get in

I disagree but there ya go.
    Who do you think would have done better

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

Why?
    They have said from the start that they are relying on the advice of health experts and will act in accordance with that advice. So that's not down to them it's down to the health experts.

In all other respects there is no evidence of joined up thinking. Going no further than posts on new thread cf lay-off, signing on etc. there is no direction, no coherent plan.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

maebee wrote: »
    It's taken me from 9 am this morning to now (midnight) to catch up with the latest post here. Now I can't remember what I wanted to post at 9 o'clock this morning.

So quickly moving, isn't it.

I'm cautiously optimistic now, our government has taken the right approach. Hopefully our citizens will follow. The course of this pandemic ultimately lies in the hands of our people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

They had the makings of a good plot , but when they made it out a cheating wife was patient zero it was too melodramatic, they had the wet market concept but went with an unusual origin for the virus -a pig instead of an exotic animal such as a servile

Spoilers Alert FFS

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement